Thinking of purchasing a 4th gen, have a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2019, 07:26 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thinking of purchasing a 4th gen, have a few questions

As the title says, I'm thinking about purchasing a 4th gen. It would be my main daily/family car but would be doing a few mods to take to local meets. I currently have 2 cars and a motorcycle, I'm thinking about down sizing to just 1 newer car for everything. Plus I want to buy a house (instead of rent) in the near future so 1 car insurance, 1 tag renewal and 1 car personal property would be nice. So my questions are
#1. Does the 4th gen have a vibration issue when lowering on coilovers? Not looking to slam it, just tuck the very top of the tire.
#2 How does the AWD version do lowered?
#3 Besides the oil consumption issue are there any other major issues?
#4 What is the difference between tech package and advanced package?
#5 How does the interior hold up? (my 3g has 1 crack in the dash and the passenger seat has a tear in it)
#6 Any other advice would be greatly appreciated

Also I was looking at 9th Gen accords as well, So if anyone has experience with then as well would be great

Thank you all
Old 06-22-2019, 10:39 AM
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 73 Posts
3. Some owners report pilot shaft bearing failures, usually indicated by a whistling teapot sound at certain speeds. It's about a $1K repair. Other than this, no.
4. Advanced adds 19" wheels, blind spot monitoring, and ventilated seats.
5. The 4G doesn't seem to have the cracking dash issue that the 3G had, at least not from reports I've seen here. That being said, like any car with a black dashboard, it's wise to use a windshield sunscreen when parking in sunny, high temp areas. There's a coupe threads about tears on the seats but it doesn't seem to be a widespread issue.
The following users liked this post:
mongold88 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 10:56 AM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
My sh AWD gas been lowered for almost 2 years with no problems and it rides great.
mongold88 (06-22-2019)
Old 06-22-2019, 11:51 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've found a 2013 with the blind spot and cooled seats, plus its AWD. Then the icing on the cake is it has what looks to be the factory acura body kit/ A-spec kit. 92k on it for 14,500 and its blue
Anicra (07-16-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:58 AM
Drifting

Received 853 Likes on 606 Posts
I like the blue color. I'd say go for it if everything else passes muster.

My interior has help up surprisingly well. I have one small tear on the drivers seat. It's in a weird spot, where the main seat backing meets the side supports. It doesn't seem like an area that would get a lot of wear. It hasn't spread at all though and is pretty much unnoticeable unless you're detailing the car. Otherwise, after 205K miles, it looks great. I treat it with Meguires leather cleaner followed by conditioner a couple times a month, being especially liberal on high-wear areas like the left side of the drivers seat.

I driver Uber on the weekends and frequently get complements on the car. People are shocked to hear that the car has 200K miles on it. I frequently get told that the interior looks practically new. The trick is to condition it and keep it clean. Dirt will embed itself in the cracks which causes that nasty worn look. Dirt will also cause more friction, wearing things out that much faster.
mongold88 (06-24-2019)
Old 06-28-2019, 01:16 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow that is a lot of miles! Nice to know it can get up there. Care to share your list of major replacement parts or issues during that time??
Old 06-28-2019, 01:34 AM
Null and proud of it

Received 899 Likes on 789 Posts
A lot of 4G TL's and 2G TSX's have torn seat sides... IDK why?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:57 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Try to find a private seller, one owner, low miles and bone stock car. You can always do the mods yourself and ensure they're done right. If they have the receipts for the work done and have maintained the car that's a huge plus. I have a 2013 TL Tech with 109,000 in white pearl. Its showing some wear on the edge of the driver's seat, but otherwise the interior is 100%. I clean and condition my seats every month. There's some responsibility with owning one of these cars, but they are sweet. My son has a 2005 RL with the SHAWD and it's a great driver and the overall quality seems better. Good luck and I hope you find awesome.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:34 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TLTesh604
Wow that is a lot of miles! Nice to know it can get up there. Care to share your list of major replacement parts or issues during that time??
Not OP, but my '09 TL SH-AWD Tech that I bought used (one previous owner) just cracked 161,000 miles. Only had the burning oil issue, and the dealer i bought it from fixed that for me for free. All I have done is the regular maintenance. And I am not gentle...I drive this thing to its absolute limits, and she keeps on going. I absolutely LOVE this car.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by snoopalupe
Not OP, but my '09 TL SH-AWD Tech that I bought used (one previous owner) just cracked 161,000 miles. Only had the burning oil issue, and the dealer i bought it from fixed that for me for free. All I have done is the regular maintenance. And I am not gentle...I drive this thing to its absolute limits, and she keeps on going. I absolutely LOVE this car.
Misread your post. Thought you were saying your dash cracked at 161,000 miles. No, you "just cracked (passed) 161,000 miles"

Got it.

Good to hear! I think one of the previous owners of the one I bought may have been an enthusiastic younger driver. I was trying to figure out what was going on with some of the trim, it seemed like rubber was peeling off it.

Plasti-dip. Someone at some point plasti-diped all the chrome trim to "murder it out". Oh well. It's a 3 owner car (4 now) 2 owners only had it for a year, 10k miles each, so not many of the miles were driven by whoever that was.

I bought the car to enjoy it as well, I have my "spirited" moments. Why have it there if you aren't going to use it from time to time right?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:54 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE
Acura/ELS Surround® 440-watt Premium Audio System with 10-speakers, DVD-Audio, CD, DTS®, AM/FM tuner, XM® Radio with Note function music reminder, Bluetooth® Audio, Song By Voice™, speed-sensitive volume control (SVC), and 15 gigabyte hard disk drive (HDD) music storage
AcuraLink® Satellite Communication System
Acura Navigation System with 60 gigabyte hard disk drive (HDD), Voice Recognition™ and rearview camera
8-inch full VGA high-resolution color display
AcuraLink Real-Time Traffic with Traffic Rerouting™
AcuraLink Real-Time Weather™ with weather radar image maps, 1- and 3-day forecasts, and specific area weather
GPS-linked, solar-sensing, dual-zone, dual-mode adaptive climate control system with humidity control system and air filtration
Perforated full-grain Premium Milano leather seating surfaces
Keyless Access System (with Smart Entry and pushbutton ignition)

ADVANCE PACKAGE + what is in the tech package.
Heated and ventilated "are awesome" front seats
Blind Spot Indicator (BSI)
18x8-inch 5-spoke cast-aluminum wheels with Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 P245/45R18 tires (TL)
19x8-inch split 5-spoke cast-aluminum wheels with Goodyear Eagle RS-A 245/40R19 tires (TL SH-AWD®)
Note: Goodyear Eagle RS-A ---> were crap tires, sold them to discount tire with 40 miles on it.

Last edited by Anicra; 07-16-2019 at 01:57 AM.