Thinking about 2012 Acura TL tech or 2012 Infiniti G37

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2014, 03:49 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thinking about 2012 Acura TL tech or 2012 Infiniti G37

Hey guys I am brand new here and have been doing my research for a long time about this. I'm looking to upgrade in May. Choices are 2012 Acura TL Tech and 2012 Infiniti G37 w/Navi. I have read several threads about this comparison and I am definitely leaning towards the TL, also owning one back in 05 helps a lot, oh how I miss it such a great machine.

Now, I will be mainly using the vehicle for work and daily use. I am real estate agent in Atlanta so driving is 80% of my daily routine and love to have luxury sport, but also very comfortable. I'm 6'4 230 lbs so that being said the TL definitely wins, but I want to know from personal experiences how comfortable the G is. I have read mix reviews about its space.
I currently drive a 2007 Chrysler 300 Touring, now this car is very comfortable also fun to drive because of the RWD. So they both have their pluses, just want to know everyone's opinion! Oh and SHAWD is out of my budget, if it wasn't this debate would be a no brainer. Thanks for all your input and any input is appreciated!
Old 02-25-2014, 04:01 PM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I contemplated same thing a few months ago, but was comparing AWD models of Infiniti and Acura. I went to TL because of larger rear space(two kids are growing), better AWD system which I need living up north, and TL wasn't every third car on the road, unlike G series, BMW 3 series, etc. 4G TL's look grew on me and I like it's Transformer-like angular lines. Value/option vs. price was justifiable and I've been happy since.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
you might as well get your big butt into a G37 and a TL.
see which one YOU are most comfortable with, because WE can spend YOUR money ALL day.

PLUS, they are two very different vehicles....

in addition to you posting on an Acura forum, which will net you BIASED answers.

get your big butt in the cars for a test drive!!

Last edited by justnspace; 02-25-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:33 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by vtec260
I contemplated same thing a few months ago, but was comparing AWD models of Infiniti and Acura. I went to TL because of larger rear space(two kids are growing), better AWD system which I need living up north, and TL wasn't every third car on the road, unlike G series, BMW 3 series, etc. 4G TL's look grew on me and I like it's Transformer-like angular lines. Value/option vs. price was justifiable and I've been happy since.
Oh yea I've read nothing but great things about the AWD system. Wish I can spend the extra cash for one. But I think I am well equipped with my wife car being a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD. We most certainly survived the Atlanta snowmageddon!

Very true about every other car being a G, we see them all the time here in the city. Also have a little one and one more on the way. TL covers that for sure.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:36 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace
you might as well get your big butt into a G37 and a TL.
see which one YOU are most comfortable with, because WE can spend YOUR money ALL day.

PLUS, they are two very different vehicles....

in addition to you posting on an Acura forum, which will net you BIASED answers.

get your big butt in the cars for a test drive!!
That was going to be my next step just wanted to know everyone's opinion and if any fellow giants out there with this problem.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:24 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I had an 07 G35S sedan, which is very similar to the current G37 sedan(306hp vs 328hp). It was a great car to drive, very engaging, handled well, and drove fast. But I got tired of all the mechanical issues my car had though so I traded it in for my TL-SH. If you are looking at the AT transmission, make sure to thoroughly drive around with it since the 7-speed has a very quirky response, even after the ECU reflash that Infiniti put out. The interior felt cheaper to me, rattles everywhere, and the materials used just seemed low quality. It was also smaller than the TL but still better than some.

As has been mentioned, they are two very different cars so make sure to drive them both and see what works best for you. If you do go with a G, try to find an "S" model though. They're not much more but you get quite a bit that makes it worth the cost.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM
10th Gear

Also look at the Chrysler 300S

Hello,

I owned a 2009 G37S 7AT for 3 years and I currently drive a 2010 TL SH-AWD with a Manual Trans. Before I bought the TL I test drove a new Chrysler 300 S. It was VERY comfortable, was nice inside, looked pretty cool and drove well. The Pentastar V6 mated with the 8-Speed is a nice combo with good performance and MPG. I went with the TL because I really wanted a manual transmission, and the SHAWD is awesome in the snow.

At your size, you will fit MUCH better in the 300. The TL is a good size too, but the G37 definitely feels smaller.

Good luck with your search.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
The only upside to the 37 is that you can mod it and tune/flash with the Osiris UpRev and its RWD. But it comes down to personal preference. I came out of an 35 Coupe and wanted a 4dr but wanted something different then Infiniti.
The following users liked this post:
TelloTL (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BSG1
I had an 07 G35S sedan, which is very similar to the current G37 sedan(306hp vs 328hp). It was a great car to drive, very engaging, handled well, and drove fast. But I got tired of all the mechanical issues my car had though so I traded it in for my TL-SH. If you are looking at the AT transmission, make sure to thoroughly drive around with it since the 7-speed has a very quirky response, even after the ECU reflash that Infiniti put out. The interior felt cheaper to me, rattles everywhere, and the materials used just seemed low quality. It was also smaller than the TL but still better than some.

As has been mentioned, they are two very different cars so make sure to drive them both and see what works best for you. If you do go with a G, try to find an "S" model though. They're not much more but you get quite a bit that makes it worth the cost.
Thanks bud! I have read about the 7 speed, but most say that it's been fixed. The one thing I do love about the G's is that the higher packages come with intelligent cruise control and other things that the acura doesn't have.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:03 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I've test driven a G37s/G37x before. The G37 is very narrow in width, which limits footwell space, leg room movement, and butt cushion space.

I'm 5'11" 165lbs, and I could not get comfortable in the G37.

I recommend to take the G and TL on an extended test drive and to sit alone in the driver's seat without the salesman hovering over you.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by TelloTL
Thanks bud! I have read about the 7 speed, but most say that it's been fixed. The one thing I do love about the G's is that the higher packages come with intelligent cruise control and other things that the acura doesn't have.
Yep, mine had the technology package, which included the intelligent cruise control, adaptive front headlights, and rearview camera. It was a nice feature to have when driving on the freeway. Not many came with it, but most have the premium package. The S package seats are heavily bolstered, so it may limit the comfort for some. I'm 6'0 170lbs, and it fit me perfectly.

Some of the loaner cars my dealership gave me still had the transmission lag, which was annoying. But if they're fixed or reflashed they are pretty smooth. The response on that car is very impressive though. Whichever car you choose I'm sure you'll be happy with!
The following users liked this post:
TelloTL (02-26-2014)
Old 02-26-2014, 06:06 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by XILAR8N
Hello,

I owned a 2009 G37S 7AT for 3 years and I currently drive a 2010 TL SH-AWD with a Manual Trans. Before I bought the TL I test drove a new Chrysler 300 S. It was VERY comfortable, was nice inside, looked pretty cool and drove well. The Pentastar V6 mated with the 8-Speed is a nice combo with good performance and MPG. I went with the TL because I really wanted a manual transmission, and the SHAWD is awesome in the snow.

At your size, you will fit MUCH better in the 300. The TL is a good size too, but the G37 definitely feels smaller.

Good luck with your search.
Yes the new 300's are sweet. Awesome car, but I have been wanting to come back to Acura for a long time, now that I can I am between this or the G. It looks like TL is going to be the best bet for me. How did you like the technology in the G compared to the TL now?
Old 02-26-2014, 06:09 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by docboy
I've test driven a G37s/G37x before. The G37 is very narrow in width, which limits footwell space, leg room movement, and butt cushion space.

I'm 5'11" 165lbs, and I could not get comfortable in the G37.

I recommend to take the G and TL on an extended test drive and to sit alone in the driver's seat without the salesman hovering over you.
It looks like I'm gonna have some problems fitting in a G then. I'm waiting until I get closer to May to start test driving. Appreciate the input!
Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2010 tl shawd and just turned a g25 we leased for my wife while waiting on the 2014 MDX to be released. I am 6'2 245 and while I could fit in the G, it always felt cramped. We had the G for 18 months, 12 k miles. It drove well, but had a lot more understeer than the TL. TL has better brakes, acceleration, headlights and trunk space. TheG was the journey model and my TL is the AWD tech, so I don't know if I can compare sound system, but the TL is way better. Ride quality over poor roads was slightly better on the G, but not by much, both are pretty harsh. G leaked oil starting at 8k miles. Dealer couldn't find or fix it, so I had to put cardboard on the garage floor. I was not tempted by anything at infiniti when we turned it in. IMHO the TL is a superior car. G would run on regular, but would knock on long uphills if you did.
Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have owned both.

G37 is more fun to drive but less refined than TL

TL is quieter, nicer interior, more confort.

So base on your criteria , TL is best for you
Old 02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The G definitely has less rear room but not as bad as an IS. TL is the next car I'm considering. I currently have a 13'ford fusion 2.0t
Old 02-27-2014, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 80 Posts
When I was choosing my car, I reviewed the G37xs, IS250AWD and IS350, BMW 335xi and BMW 535xi.

Very hard decision for me, I found the G37xs to be super fun but the back seamed smaller. Also, it drove more like the 2door sports car and the MPG's on the car were horrible. After reading reviews and having people complaining on maintenance, I skipped that.

I really liked the Lexus setup. Both cars drove great but the 250 was really underpowered and I really wanted the AWD since I'd be driving it in the winter. Everything about both 350 and 250 were amazing and perfect except the tech. The nav system is so outdated. It was a real turn off, and tech was a big thing for me.

Both BMW 535xi and 335xi use an inline6 twin turbo engine which was what caught my attention. I loved them both and both were so fun to drive. The issue I had was with the 335xi, the back seat was basically non existent. The 535xi was what I was really considering. By the end of the day, I was so close to getting one but I ended up getting the TL instead and did not regret it at all. The BMW pricing wasn't what I wanted to pay, especially for the KM's on it (over 100,000km) and of course. The standard BMW maintenance.

I love my TL SH-AWD w/tech. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:10 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TelloTL
Yes the new 300's are sweet. Awesome car, but I have been wanting to come back to Acura for a long time, now that I can I am between this or the G. It looks like TL is going to be the best bet for me. How did you like the technology in the G compared to the TL now?
Overall, I like the technology better in the TL. However, my #1 complaint (and some will disagree), the soubd quality of the stereo is lacking. The setup in the G with Bose speakers sounds much better to me.

Like others have mentioned, you need to drive both for extended test drives.

Comfort, space, tech, better automatic transmission, better MPG = TL FWD

Faster Acceleration, more responsive, awesome handling, better brakes (Sports Package) better sounding stereo (Premium Package) = G37
Old 02-28-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
so, did the OP test drive and come to a conclusion on his own?
because we can sit here and throw specs all day.