Stop lamp condensation

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 108 Posts
Stop lamp condensation

I'm bringing my '09 TL in tomorrow for what the dealer is calling a "Spring Special" inspection...oil change and a cursory once-over. I'm having this done as I'm out of warranty in a little over a week, and want to identify anything that should be addressed first. To that end, if there are any suggestions as to items I should pay attention to, please feel free to chime in.

Once item I'm inclined to bring to their attention, though I wonder if it's even an issue, is that I notice I get condensation in my raised stop lamp, particularly when it's cold (and today was -16C...that's 3 in "American"). I've attached some pictures which kind of show what I mean. Has anyone else seen this? I don't imagine it'll cause any issues, and for all I know, it coule have been caused by whoever did the tinting. Still, in the 10 days I have left on warranty, I may as well ask the question.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2013, 11:48 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
i cant answer this but its called a 3rd brake light not a stop lamp
Old 03-15-2013, 02:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by potmilkz
i cant answer this but its called a 3rd brake light not a stop lamp
Umm...thanks?

From wikipedia:

"Stop lamps (brake lights)

Red steady-burning rear lights, brighter than the rear position lamps, are activated when the driver applies the vehicle's brakes. These are called "stop lamps" in some countries[69][70][71][72][73] and "brake lights" in others. They are required to be fitted in multiples of two, symmetrically at the left and right edges of the rear of every vehicle.[6][15] Outside North America, the range of acceptable intensity for a stop lamp is 60 to 185 candela.[15] In North America, the acceptable range for a single-compartment stop lamp is 80 to 300 candela.[6]"

and

"Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)

In North America since 1986, in Australia and New Zealand since 1990, and in Europe since 1998, a central brake lamp, mounted higher than the vehicle's left and right brake lamps and called a "Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)", is also required. The CHMSL (pronounced /ˈtʃɪmzəl/) is also sometimes referred to as the "centre brake lamp", the "third brake light", the "eye-level brake lamp", the "safety brake lamp", or the "high-level brake lamp". The CHMSL may produce light by a single central filament bulb, a row or cluster of filament bulbs or LEDs, or a strip of Neon tube."
Old 03-15-2013, 02:42 AM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by sockpuppet
Umm...thanks?

From wikipedia:

"Stop lamps (brake lights)

Red steady-burning rear lights, brighter than the rear position lamps, are activated when the driver applies the vehicle's brakes. These are called "stop lamps" in some countries[69][70][71][72][73] and "brake lights" in others. They are required to be fitted in multiples of two, symmetrically at the left and right edges of the rear of every vehicle.[6][15] Outside North America, the range of acceptable intensity for a stop lamp is 60 to 185 candela.[15] In North America, the acceptable range for a single-compartment stop lamp is 80 to 300 candela.[6]"

and

"Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)

In North America since 1986, in Australia and New Zealand since 1990, and in Europe since 1998, a central brake lamp, mounted higher than the vehicle's left and right brake lamps and called a "Centre High Mount Stop Lamp (CHMSL)", is also required. The CHMSL (pronounced /ˈtʃɪmzəl/) is also sometimes referred to as the "centre brake lamp", the "third brake light", the "eye-level brake lamp", the "safety brake lamp", or the "high-level brake lamp". The CHMSL may produce light by a single central filament bulb, a row or cluster of filament bulbs or LEDs, or a strip of Neon tube."
Well if you want to type out "Centre High Mount Stop Lamp" or you can just say third brake light as many people understands that term.

not really descriptive when you just put stop lamp..
Old 03-15-2013, 06:33 AM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
Well if you want to type out "Centre High Mount Stop Lamp" or you can just say third brake light as many people understands that term.

not really descriptive when you just put stop lamp..
As if it matters. You're a piece of work.
The following users liked this post:
TinyRK (03-17-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Potmilks is right. The thread title isn't helpful and neither are you^

OP, this might be a seal defect at the top of the window or a leak from the shark fin

Otherwise I've never seen anything like that, on a modern car.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 03-15-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mr Marco

OP, this might be a seal defect at the top of the window or a leak from the shark fin

Thanks for the reply, Mr. Marco. As it happens, the dealer claims that the cover just pops off, and that it's likely nothing.

So how is the thread title not helpful? Clearly Potmilkz understood what I was referring to...otherwise he wouldn't have "corrected" the term. And as for "corrected", did I not provide adequate support for the use of the term "stop lamp". If I had used the word "automobile", and was "corrected" that I should have used "car", would we be having this conversation.

While I am dreadfully sorry to have used a term (correctly) which might have caused you or Potmilkz even a moment of confusion, I have trouble acknowledging anything done wrong. I dislike non-descriptive thread titles as much as the next guy...perhaps more. But I can't help but note that very recently, there were thread titles such as "Should I???" (March 11, 2013) and "What should i do at this point." (March 10, 2013), and yet neither you nor Potmilkz, though both contributors to the aforementioned threads, complained even in the slightest that the thread title was insufficient. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills here.

I take no issue with Potmilkz personally. In fact, he was kind enough to provide some feedback via PM when I asked him a question, which I've not forgotten. But my response was made necessary by virtue of the fact that he purported to correct my use of a term, which was not incorrect...it simply wasn't the words he would use.

But now I suppose I've opened the floodgates...so go ahead...fire away.
TinyRK (03-17-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 09:49 PM
Suzuka Master

My first impression from the thread title was that the issue was in the fender mounted tailights. Easy solution. I had a similar problem on my Accord. However I've never seen your issue before. I wouldn't have even bothered to open the thread had the title said, "Third brake light condensation."

On a bright note, you'll get more views with the title you have now.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:02 PM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr Marco

He may be right, but so was the OP. The fact that he took the time to "correct" the OP only propagates his arrogance. Now you've joined him in propagating your own.
TinyRK (03-17-2013)
Old 03-15-2013, 11:09 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I take the fault for not providing enough information on my thread. It was my first thread and I was excited to post it and get feed back which was very helpful. I agree with hogan, this is for people to get answers to their many question. Not to be corrected for every little thing or mistake that newer members may make. There is also a way to correct someone without coming out in an arrogant way but potmilk has failed to do that. The fact that Marco backs him up is just wrong when his friend is wrong in the first place. Just to be clear, I don't have any issues with anyone ....
Old 03-16-2013, 11:37 AM
Suzuka Master

^

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
He may be right, but so was the OP. The fact that he took the time to "correct" the OP only propagates his arrogance. Now you've joined him in propagating your own.
Let's get things back on track and offer the OP some advice.

It can't be "nothing." The more I look at the picks the more this looks like a seal issue.

Keep us updated.

Last edited by Mr Marco; 03-16-2013 at 11:40 AM.