Step 1: Buy 2010 SH-AWD 6-Speed Step 2:Learn how to drive 6-speed

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Step 1: Buy 2010 SH-AWD 6-Speed Step 2:Learn how to drive 6-speed

My last two cars have been leases, a 2005 TSX and a 2007 TL Type-S. Both with automatics. I've always wanted a manual trans, I love driving and feel like I would be more engaged on the road. Plus with both my previous Acura's I would normally use the sportshift to choose my gear...

So, after lots of consideration, I decided that the new 2010 SHAWD 6MT was going to be my next car. I decided to buy this one instead of lease again, and try to keep it till I pass 100k miles (at least). I went to the Acura dealer here in Boston, and was able to get him to take my 2007 TL off lease early, and was able to talk him down to $41,360. They gave me a bit of trouble on negotiating the price down, they didn't want to deal on something that was so "rare". But searching the area around Boston, there were not many of the Black/Ebony ones...wonder how many more they'll get....

So, since I don't really know how to drive a manual (friend taught me when i was 16, many years ago), I'm having a friend meet me at the dealership, take me to a big parking lot so I can learn it. I understand the basics, now will be the hands on fun!

I was also able to get the underbody kit for about $1450 installed, should look pretty sweet. Already thinking about the other mod's i want to get (maybe in the spring).

I'll post up some pics after I pick it up on Thursday.

-Pete

--
2010 TL SH-AWD 6MT - Almost here
2007 TL Type-S 5AT - Almost gone
2005 TSX 5AT - Gone
Old 10-13-2009, 12:54 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i suggest you first try on something other than your new car. you're going to lurch and kill it at least a few times and you might feel like a dork.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:57 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by miketala
i suggest you first try on something other than your new car. You're going to lurch and kill it at least a few times and you might feel like a dork.
+1
Old 10-13-2009, 07:20 AM
My beer fridge is in

wow, congrats, good luck. Enjoy the 6-speed.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 129 Likes on 101 Posts
nice, give it two days of driving, and you'll be good enough o not stall at every light.
BTW, enjoy the learning experience, thats the best part of driving a manual.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Advanced

i suggest you first try on something other than your new car. You're going to lurch and kill it at least a few times and you might feel like a dork.
+2
Old 10-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
+3
Old 10-13-2009, 11:46 AM
Drifting

i suggest you first try on something other than your new car. you're going to lurch and kill it at least a few times and you might feel like a dork.

Well, I already feel like a dork most of the time, so at least it should be a familiar feeling.

But seriously, I'm hoping my friend is cool with a little time in his ride before moving to mine... After a few days I should have the hang of it...hopefully
Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
You'll do fine. So what if you stall a few times? Fuck the guy behind you, he's a douche.

The Hill Start Assist thing should be a great benefit for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:05 PM
Advanced

Also just got the 6-Speed AWD

I also just bought this, and have driven many sticks. One thing I'm getting use to is the super soft feel of the clutch.

So its going to take me a few weeks to get a smooth as I have been with other cars.

I'm use to more engine sound, and feel as the clutch start to engage, but both a much more subtle on this car so...

You'll get the hang of it for sure, and may be easier since you haven't driven one before, no past experience to overcome.

Congrats!!
Old 10-13-2009, 03:59 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
welcome to the club!
Old 10-13-2009, 04:53 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by tach32000
I also just bought this, and have driven many sticks. One thing I'm getting use to is the super soft feel of the clutch.

So its going to take me a few weeks to get a smooth as I have been with other cars.

I'm use to more engine sound, and feel as the clutch start to engage, but both a much more subtle on this car so...

You'll get the hang of it for sure, and may be easier since you haven't driven one before, no past experience to overcome.

Congrats!!
I concur that the 2010 TL's clutch is somewhat "soft," thus may not be as easy to learn driving a stick on. I too am still getting used to the clutch and the point where it "bites," esp on an incline.

I had an old 90 Integra 5spd which I learned to drive manual (at least full time). I recall the Integra's clutch had more feel and bite.

But I agree, once you get a hang of the TL's manual transmission, there's no going back to auto.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:29 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i want a 6spd
Old 10-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you can try and rent a manual trans car and then try on your TL. First try to learn how to get out from 1st gear and spend the whole week with your rent car.
Old 10-13-2009, 05:52 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Congrats!
Old 10-13-2009, 05:53 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
I am from Bedford, MA; get in touch with me if you want to learn how to heel-toe

J/k good luck with the car and post pictures if you may
Old 10-13-2009, 06:28 PM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by JnC
I am from Bedford, MA; get in touch with me if you want to learn how to heel-toe

is THAT where Mr. Heeltoe got his name from ?? i always wondered what it meant
Old 10-13-2009, 07:23 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JnC

Yea, not too far away at all, I used to work up there, just off Rt. 3. I might get in touch with you for a headlight clearing job... But that will probably wait till the spring.

I pick it up on Thursday after work, I can't wait! It's going to be a fun challenge to learn, and I think the practice will pay off in overall enjoyment of driving again.

Should get my pic's uploaded by the end of the week.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rafiton
If you can try and rent a manual trans car and then try on your TL. First try to learn how to get out from 1st gear and spend the whole week with your rent car.
I'd love to, but I've yet to find any place in the area that will rent out manuals... I guess there is a place that will do lessons, but it's out on the Cape, and that's just a giant pain to get to

Originally Posted by Bearcat94
You'll do fine. So what if you stall a few times? Fuck the guy behind you, he's a douche.

The Hill Start Assist thing should be a great benefit for you.
Hahaha, awesome, my EXACT thoughts
Old 10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
JnC
Former Sponsor

Received 351 Likes on 227 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010
Yea, not too far away at all, I used to work up there, just off Rt. 3. I might get in touch with you for a headlight clearing job... But that will probably wait till the spring.

I pick it up on Thursday after work, I can't wait! It's going to be a fun challenge to learn, and I think the practice will pay off in overall enjoyment of driving again.

Should get my pic's uploaded by the end of the week.

Which dealership are you picking the car up from ? Acura of Boston or Acura of Peabody? See if they can loan you a 6 speed for a few days before you take actual delivery of the car.

I doubt that they would have a loaner manual Acura as a loaner, you may want to try renting one from Hertz or any of the other companies, get thoroughly acquainted with the transmission before practicing on the new TL. You dont wnat to smoke the clutch on a brand new car :-/

For practice, get to a local mall parking light during after hours. If you need any sort of help then PM me. I think another option would be to just take you to Hanscom AFB.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

congrats don't worry it'll be a fun learning experience
Old 10-13-2009, 09:46 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Enjoy your new shifter!
I always thought it was funny when my CLS 6MT was newer and I'd watch the dealer service guys try to drive it. The 03 CLS 6MT was the first 6MT 6 cylinder Acura since the 95 Legends (and NSX) so most had no experience.

I'd strongly suggest finding a older car to practice on first. unless you're a quick learner you don't want to go to the 'if you can't find 'em, grind 'em' driving school.
I've had sticks for years and it's second nature to me. If the 10 TL is as fun as my CLS has been you're in for a great ride! congrats.
Old 10-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by JnC
Which dealership are you picking the car up from ? Acura of Boston or Acura of Peabody? See if they can loan you a 6 speed for a few days before you take actual delivery of the car.

I doubt that they would have a loaner manual Acura as a loaner, you may want to try renting one from Hertz or any of the other companies, get thoroughly acquainted with the transmission before practicing on the new TL. You dont wnat to smoke the clutch on a brand new car :-/

For practice, get to a local mall parking light during after hours. If you need any sort of help then PM me. I think another option would be to just take you to Hanscom AFB.
Yea, Acura of Boston, they've always been good to me, I've gotten my two previous Acura's from them. This will be my last one for a while, need to drive this one for like 10 years + (that was the deal with the wife when i bought it.) They, as well as others in the area, don't have a MT they'll lend me

But yea, my friend is taking me to a deserted parking lot so I can do some learning with him. Probably have enough time to spend like an hour with him. From there, and reading all the great posts from SouthernBoy about MT, I should be able to have the basics and practice it myself.

The good thing is that I'm not totally new to the MT world, my friend taught me when i was like 16, so i remember the basics but just haven't had any practical usage in like 13 years...

One more day!!
Old 10-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Detail Cars in Philly in

ha i did the same thing with my tsx, i had tried driving a stick like once before i got the tsx. THen learned the day i got it and have nothing but fun since then
Old 10-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by JnC
The Burlington Mall is a great place to practice after hours. There's a lot of flat space and some hills when you go to get out of the mall parking lot.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Racer

Congrats on the purchase! I almost made myself sick the 1st time I drove that car - which is a good thing! Post some pics ASAP
Old 10-14-2009, 11:36 AM
Time to Climb

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
congrats on the new ride
Old 10-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yea, Acura of Boston, they've always been good to me, I've gotten my two previous Acura's from them.
Pete, sorry to hijack your thread but how's their Service department? I live in NJ but come up to the Boston area to work on a project (about a year in duration!!!!). My location is on Soldiers Field Road and I know they are on the same road.

Since I spend more time here I might as well find a dealer with a good service department. My 09 AWD is only a month old.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Kingmeow
Pete, sorry to hijack your thread but how's their Service department? I live in NJ but come up to the Boston area to work on a project (about a year in duration!!!!). My location is on Soldiers Field Road and I know they are on the same road.

Since I spend more time here I might as well find a dealer with a good service department. My 09 AWD is only a month old.
No worries at all! I've taken all my Acura's to their service department and never had a problem. The downside is that so far I've never had an Acura over 31k miles So i can't speak to anything other than general maintenance.

Compared to other places I've taken cars (Herb Chambers Saab for my wife's old car). A of B is awesome. Herb Chambers would always try to screw us someway or another... they really suck.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't think that ANY rental car company has a manual transmission car to rent these days. I've requested one every time I rented a car (and I used to rent cars at a rate of once per month for a year and a half) and never got one. I wouldn't pursue your time on finding out for yourself, explore other options like relatives or good friends who have a manual and will let you borrow it.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:24 PM
Low is a Lifestyle.

you have to be really bad to stall on the new 6spd sh-awd. me and my friend went to go test drive it. it has enough torque (pretty good amount actually) that it would be hard to stall.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:37 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kingmeow

AB is a big dealer and they have a very nice service department but I did have issues for both sales and service there. The service issues were with the people and not the techs working on the car. When I was paying for service years ago and the cashier is talking to another employeesaying F this F that and didnt pay any attention to the paying customers. I complained but was brushed off.

As for sales, after buying 5 cars from them over the years, they wouldnt make any deals. Couldn't care less about my business. I now live in metowest and go to Herb Connolly Acura and have had no issues. Not as nice of a service department but they have always treated me well.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM
'10 Hyundai Genesis Coupe

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Prior to the purchase of the 2009 Si I had never driven a 6M/T before, it took my brother and I about 3~4 hours of driving to finally get it down, you already know the basics so you'll be fine. Enjoy the new Acura and Congratulations!~
Old 10-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on A of B. I'm up here M-F so I do need to find a good Service Department. As long as the techs are good, I can deal with management BS.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Drifting

Well... picked up the car today, and all I can say is Wow... Had my friend drive it to a well lit open parking lot, and we practiced starts for about 30 min, then after dinner we did more starts (where i was getting some smooth, but slow, take offs), and proceeded to a larger clear stretch where I could get into 2nd and 3rd.

Then my friend left me and my wife, and I had to drive it home. Totally uneventful, not many cars on the road at the time. I too the highway figuring it would be a bit easer (it was). On the way home I drove by another large well lit parking lot (Riverside T station for you fellow Massholes) We then practiced some more starts, parking (reverse) etc... I feel much more confident, and it's starting to make sense. Only have stalled a couple times while starting off, but after a 2nd I'm running again.

I was only able to take a couple photos, it was dark, and starting to rain, but the underbody spoiler really makes this car (imho). Sorry for the sucky quality...I'll post some more after a nice day when i can wash and wax this beauty.

Until then Enjoy.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:37 AM
Safety Car

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Looks great...
Old 10-16-2009, 07:12 AM
Pro

Congrats!
Old 10-16-2009, 08:49 PM
Racer

yay
Old 10-18-2009, 05:33 AM
Intermediate

Awesome. Did you go with the HPT's? looks like the stock 19's.

Can you post up a pic of the interior. Our dealerships still haven't gotten any in yet

Last edited by naphta94; 10-18-2009 at 05:36 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Well... picked up the car today, and all I can say is Wow... Had my friend drive it to a well lit open parking lot, and we practiced starts for about 30 min, then after dinner we did more starts (where i was getting some smooth, but slow, take offs), and proceeded to a larger clear stretch where I could get into 2nd and 3rd.

Then my friend left me and my wife, and I had to drive it home. Totally uneventful, not many cars on the road at the time. I too the highway figuring it would be a bit easer (it was). On the way home I drove by another large well lit parking lot (Riverside T station for you fellow Massholes) We then practiced some more starts, parking (reverse) etc... I feel much more confident, and it's starting to make sense. Only have stalled a couple times while starting off, but after a 2nd I'm running again.

I was only able to take a couple photos, it was dark, and starting to rain, but the underbody spoiler really makes this car (imho). Sorry for the sucky quality...I'll post some more after a nice day when i can wash and wax this beauty.

Until then Enjoy.

congrats!!!

that color looks really nice at night!

Quick Reply: Step 1: Buy 2010 SH-AWD 6-Speed Step 2:Learn how to drive 6-speed