Spied: 2012 TL MMC

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2010 | 10:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ostrich
It looks just the same as the new 2011 TSX Sport Wagon grille, the one that we recently saw at the NY Auto Show:

It has the same horizontal lines underneath the metallic part, and the trim around the sides is much narrower. I do not think that it's necessarily an improvement, but it's certainly less bold and daring.
Yeah, now that you put a pic of the TSX wagon up I think you hit the nail right on the head. The MMC grill is going to look like the TSX wagon one.
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:15 PM
Instructor

Is it just me, or are we potentially seeing two potential refresh concepts? The one with the full front camo looks like it's concealing a different headlight cluster than the one that exposes the headlights, which look exactly like the current headlights. The headlight cluster changed during MMC of the last two generations, if I'm not mistaken. If Acura wants to be "cutting edge" on tech, the incandescent DRLs need to be replaced by LEDs like Audi, Mercedes C and E class, the BMW "halos", and even the Taurus. They also need to bring back the LED turn signals and bi-xenon vs. low beam only headlights. The tinted vs. photochromic adjusting side mirrors and no auto up/down rear side window switches are two obvious cost cutters/profit generators that need to be rectified. While it out features BMW for the money, those two cost-cutters are something my 2007 "base" 335i had.

Regarding GM discussion, if they hadn't killed Pontiac, I'd be driving a 2010 G8 GXP 6MT right now instead of the TL SH-AWD 6MT. However, that car was from Australia. Less features, but it was a four door Corvette with impressively huge rear seat legroom - at least two inches more than the TL with about the same foot print (longer wheelbase and shorter overhangs made the interior packaging better, it appeared). ...and don't talk about resale - used ones are still going for near the deal I could have had back in December on a brand new one (my BMW lease was up in May and I entertained the idea of storing a GXP for 5 or 6 months).
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:16 PM
Drifting

Another observation here - the black TL in the spy shots have the double exhaust only - so it's probably not the SH-AWD version. However, it does have the 5 spoke 18" rims that we now have for the SH-AWD car. Does it mean that the very ugly and undersized 17" rims are finally going away? So perhaps the base car will now the nice 18" rims and the SH-AWD versions will get something even more upgraded? Or perhaps this is the base version with the optional 18" rims? I hope that they will not continue to use those embarrassingly downmarket-looking, ugly and undersized 17" rims!!!
Old 07-08-2010 | 10:22 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ostrich
It looks just the same as the new 2011 TSX Sport Wagon grille, the one that we recently saw at the NY Auto Show:

It has the same horizontal lines underneath the metallic part, and the trim around the sides is much narrower. I do not think that it's necessarily an improvement, but it's certainly less bold and daring.
That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw the earlier photos - that they were going with the toned down photos. It almost looks like they took away the smiley face trim in the back as well and brought back a slight shelf from the 3G trunk/bumper...
Old 07-08-2010 | 11:45 PM
Instructor

I knew it would'nt happen but i was really hoping for a Type S.
Old 07-09-2010 | 12:17 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by wmahmud
Its VERY obvious to tell they toned down the front grille, but its easy to see its still there, just smaller, BUT did anyone ever think that the grille may look too small for a car so large now? which is why I think the current grille goes with the car better
Want to know my biggest fear after looking at that pic? Camry Solara or TSX twin. lol. But I'll wait and see. At least Acura is listening - now hopefully what they change will be a positive change without jacking up the price much.
Old 07-09-2010 | 12:26 AM
I'm Craig

Originally Posted by PhoenixUnit
I knew it would'nt happen but i was really hoping for a Type S.
Who said they're not testing one also? I highly doubt it, but it can't be completely ruled out yet.
Old 07-09-2010 | 12:39 AM
Racer

I just did some photoshop work.

Added LED on headlights, Acura letters on the front, Put sunroof in Tilt position, changed the grill and hood. I LIKE IT!

Last edited by yooin14; 07-09-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 01:46 AM
Racer

I spent one more hour on Type-S Version. !
Old 07-09-2010 | 04:09 AM
Advanced

better pic of "the grill"

http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-acura-tl.html
Old 07-09-2010 | 05:43 AM
Former Sponsor

Looks like it's still going to have the hood ride up, but the style is more tech looking, like the TSX wagon rather than the current TL's exagerated version. Wonder if it's going to be body colored or Silver?
Old 07-09-2010 | 06:25 AM
Burning Brakes

The new grill in the spy pix kinda looks similar to your design Rondog...that's the first thing that I had thought of when I saw them. I wonder if Acura designers have been doing some R&D on this forum...

Anyways, the beak is, without question, the most polarizing and disjointed design feature on the car, I'm glad that they are redesigning it.
Old 07-09-2010 | 07:41 AM
COTM Coordinator

Headrests look the same
Old 07-09-2010 | 07:57 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by MurkyRiversTL
Headrests look the same
^^ @ your disclaimer.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:11 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Type-S I doubt, but it could happen. That's the only way I'd get out of my current TL SH-AWD.

The design changes...not bad. I never had an issue with the grill or overall design. I wonder if they will add the MDX fog light housing touches to the end design of the SH-AWD version and since they did a slight rear bumper treatment if they will integrate the lip into it eventually as well. I think these were some deign ideas left on the drawing board myself. The TSX grille is tight.
Regarding most GM products other than the Vette...cheap. just my feeling.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:13 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by petec2010
^^ @ your disclaimer.
yeah its quite funny, but also necessary for some lol.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:14 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by MyCarIsntInMyWifesName
Truth be told, I'd be watching Buick with an eagle eye if I was Acura. Buick's progress in style, technology, and quality was once Acura's recipe, albeit delivered in a sportier, zestier nature.

Is the Lacrosse or Enclave better than the TL or MDX? No, but they aren't yet serious competitors, and frankly the Lacrosse would if nothing else be on my list along with a TL, if for different reasons. It may not be better but it really isn't worse, just different. It's much roomier, smoother, quieter, a typic of the Lexus ES350. They both do what they're intended to do very well.

GM minus the Vette and a few other cars= Cheap. Just my opinion. You can dress up in a $3000.00 suit or dress but when you open your mouth and ignorance comes out...you not getting much. Not saying this about you or anyone on the board, just that dress up is just that...dress up, substance not a GM trait for many years.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:15 AM
Pro

here are some pics from inside line
http://blogs.insideline.com/straight...-acura-tl.html
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:19 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Nothings wrong.. that's why they're fixing it right?

They are definitely different cars. The 3rd gen was one of the best selling TL's ever, the 4th gen is one of the worst selling (relative to their competition).. yeah.

There's nothing wrong in his view, which is cool. I think most of us get that the majority of folks weren't ready for such an in your face masculine design change. And car brands popularity tends to go in waves...trends if you will. I can recall when the Lexus GS series was hot...now it's not.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

speculations-I will just wait and see
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:21 AM
COTM Coordinator

Originally Posted by compewterbleu
GM minus the Vette and a few other cars= Cheap. Just my opinion. You can dress up in a $3000.00 suit or dress but when you open your mouth and ignorance comes out...you not getting much. Not saying this about you or anyone on the board, just that dress up is just that...dress up, substance not a GM trait for many years.
Im all about debating with the same members that you are, but we should really try not to have the same debate on multiple threads. This is about the 2012 MMC, lets try to keep it that.

Im kinda tired of seeing the same crap over and over again. Know what I mean?
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:22 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I highly doubt they'll go touch screen again. The screen seems to be too far away, in my experience.

I agree with you on that, to involving while drivin...and besides many of the NAV systems are going the way of limiting activities while driving. Safety.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:24 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Im all about debating with the same members that you are, but we should really try not to have the same debate on multiple threads. This is about the 2012 MMC, lets try to keep it that.

Im kinda tired of seeing the same crap over and over again. Know what I mean?

I read you Murky. It did get out of hand. Now back to the MMC 2012...blind side protection system added to the list of features perhaps...
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:26 AM
COTM Coordinator

I think blind side protection is more of a distraction than anything. Its also makes me kinda lazy in a way, or too dependent on that feature. As long as i can turn it off when I get tired of it lol.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:40 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

I think blind side protection is more of a distraction than anything. Its also makes me kinda lazy in a way, or too dependent on that feature. As long as i can turn it off when I get tired of it lol.

Yeah, I see what you mean..tried in the SHO and it did distract me from time to time. I think Acura is listening and paying attention to the surveys...it just some folks don't fill them out. The 2001 Cl had received a few changes in 2003, but other issues killed it off.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:42 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by petec2010
You seriously overestimate the ability of American car makers. I was home this last weekend (I am from MI), my dad has a Buick Lucerne - Loaded, and my brother in law has a new Taurus - Loaded but not the SHO. You think the TL has lots of plastic on the interior (which actually is only the door cubbies and over head sunglass thing), wait till you sit in those cars. The Ford interior was cheap - and it had all the heated/cooled seats etc... The Buick - even worse, crap leather, uncomfortable seats, all hard plastic dash and on the doors...

I'd rather take the nicer interior and finishing touches of the TL than some extra options like cooled seats on the Ford or Buick.
pete...I concur. Personally, I think those who like the Buick's would also like the Lexus. Can't see the desire for a TL......it rides more firmly, has better road manners, and handles more sharply.

That's the total antithesis of what Buick is putting out there. I know people are gushing over the LaCrosse (drove a rental just last week). But, I think they're gushing because Buick finally put a car on the road that appealed to someone that isn't an octogenarian. The upcoming Regal hasn't even hit our shores yet. All we know for sure is that people in China like them.

Test drove a SHO before scratching it off my shopping list. DOn't get me wrong...it's a very nice Taurus. And, it goes in a straight line....very fast. Try to get it to bend into a corner and you're going to miss the kind of suspension that comes in the TL.....a lot. The Taurus is WAAAAYYYYY too heavy.

Last edited by graphicguy; 07-09-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 08:43 AM
COTM Coordinator

Yeah its kinda weird. I liked the styling of the CL and was a little sad when they discontinued it. Every time I see one I tell my girlfriend I like those and she gets disgusted and says how ugly they are.

Im hoping acura will make another coupe like the CL and not another RSX.
Old 07-09-2010 | 09:26 AM
Cruisin'

It looks as if they may be doing away with the chrome strip across the back too. Yea! Or, is this simply camo?

The car actually looks really good with the longer, more congruent hood and as all body color with limited chrome.

I am so happy Acura is moving quickly to rectify the styling, and, possibly also increasing or modernizing the feature content. I'm hoping for the active suspension.

I was just about to bend my better half's arm to buy a 6-6 2010. Now, I'll happily wait.
Old 07-09-2010 | 09:36 AM
Three Wheelin'

Yeah its kinda weird. I liked the styling of the CL and was a little sad when they discontinued it. Every time I see one I tell my girlfriend I like those and she gets disgusted and says how ugly they are.

Im hoping acura will make another coupe like the CL and not another RSX.
If Acura was smart, they should have the NSX and CL as their coupe offerings, the NSX obviously being their more expensive, high-powered version and the CL being a more cost affective, lower end luxury coupe version.

But there is not signs of either of those right now from Acura so right now we just have to !
Old 07-09-2010 | 09:53 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by smarty666
If Acura was smart, they should have the NSX and CL as their coupe offerings, the NSX obviously being their more expensive, high-powered version and the CL being a more cost affective, lower end luxury coupe version.

But there is not signs of either of those right now from Acura so right now we just have to !
This is so very true. The CL didn't have the following of say, the nissan Z and the issues it had lead to it's demise. That and the fact that folks were buying SUV's like crazy...The NSX was a good idea, but the suits nixed that. The lexus super-car can't even be bought at 300K is that correct? A coupe would be a good offering from Acura if they did it right. I think something smaller than the Accord coupe, with dynamics of the old Prelude, coupled with some of the CL attributes. It can be done, will they, that's a different story.
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:07 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

A photoshop someone on TOV did this morning: the rumored MMC TSX grill on the TL. Is this the grill on the MMC 2012 TL?

Last edited by docboy; 07-09-2010 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:14 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:36 AM
Safety Car

Bigger Lights

I am probably in the minority here in thinking that the front & tail lights should be larger. Particularly the red & yellow "dagger" parts. This would bring it more inline w/ the rest of the lineup & I think would match the car better bc everything else is so big & bold & the lights are kind of dainty in comparison.

In otherwords, make it look more like:

Old 07-09-2010 | 10:45 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by docboy

A photoshop someone on TOV did this morning: the rumored MMC TSX grill on the TL. Is this the grill on the MMC 2012 TL?

Not really feeling it.
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:46 AM
Cruisin'

^^^^ Yes, I agree lights are too small and proportioned incorrectly.
Old 07-09-2010 | 10:56 AM
Registered Member

There we go. No need to continue the debate then, am I right?
Old 07-09-2010 | 11:02 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

There we go. No need to continue the debate then, am I right?

Old 07-09-2010 | 11:02 AM
Registered Member

If someone has time they should try to take that hook that the MDX headlamps have (as they move out they drop down) and put it on the TL's "2011" body to see if that looks any good.

I agree some larger lights might improve the looks up front.
Old 07-09-2010 | 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Why is that wrong?
Old 07-09-2010 | 11:05 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

The photo-shop image is to 2d or a 3D image....

Quick Reply: Spied: 2012 TL MMC