So this happened.... windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 10:10 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So this happened.... windshield

So I was merging onto the highway not behind any trucks or tailgaiting and suddenly i hear a loud thud on my windshield low and behold i have a nice sized crack on the windshield. There does not seem to be an indent in the windshield as I rubbed my finger ever so gently against it and it was still smooth like.

Does anyone have any experience with cracked windshields?
Can this be fixed? By Acura? Or by MAAco or any other windshield company? Who would you recommend?

If it has to be replaced how much would it cost at Acura?

Luckily it didn't hit my hood.

Last edited by kev87a; 06-01-2014 at 10:10 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old 06-01-2014, 10:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
What city are you in?
Old 06-01-2014, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Live in Markham.
Old 06-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 107 Posts
Hi Kev.
It's a long way across the center of the universe but there is a good shop in Mississauga if you need a new windshield. The price of a new windshield will vary quite a lot so don't go with the first guy you talk to.
Your insurance might cover it but talk to your agent to see if the claim will affect your future premiums. I highly recommend Woodchester Auto Glass. They are near Erin Mills Acura. Talk to William (We-am).
He is a good guy and he did a windshield for me in my Integra for a very good price.

http://www.woodchesterautoglass.com/
Old 06-01-2014, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I went through the exact same situation last month on the freeway...

I was about 2 car lengths behind a pick up truck and I suddenly see a small black object fly high into the sky from his rear tire. The situation suddenly went slow-mo as the rock slowly descended towards my vehicle. All I could be thinking at this moment was "Oh crap, it's gonna hit". It landed right at the edge of my windshield, with a small small crack. I looked at it and figured "oh it's not that bad, I'll live with it".

Fast forward 15 minutes, I pull into a parking lot and begin to play with my phone as I wait for a friend and I noticed a 4 inch line forming from the point of impact. At first I thought it was a line of water because it had been raining a few hours back so I didn't think too much of it. I looked at it again and it seemed strange for water to hold its position like that so I got out of my car in an attempt to rub the water away when I realize it was a crack.

All in all, it took me a month later to replace it and during the month of procrastinating, the crack grew an additional 10 inches, give or take.
I had my windshield replaced with an OE windshield by Pilkington as the technician at a local windshield shop told me it was exactly the same as OEM except without the Acura logo on it. It had the dots where the rearview mirror attaches onto, the tint on the upper windshield and it states "Acoustic Glass" on the receipt which is the same as the original. So far, no complaints on the windshield, don't notice any difference.

The reason why it took me so long was because I got freaked out at the price of an OEM windshield, $500+ ! I didn't want to go through my insurance so I opted for an aftermarket version, with came to $245 installed!

Last edited by SH6MT; 06-01-2014 at 09:15 PM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
If you have a safelite auto glass I would give them a call. You can flag down one of their trucks and most will fix and seal for 25 to 40 bucks on the side. I didn't say that though lol
Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 PM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Daily Driver Achievement Unlocked - 100 points!

They might be able to fill that up with resin...Your insurance should cover the damages.
The following users liked this post:
ressling (06-23-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 01:17 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
I feel for you, this sux.. This has happened to me numerous times over the years with other cars and SUV's. Same as you, just driving and another vehicle kicks up a rock. I have glass coverage so I call the insurance company and have Safelite repair it.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:14 PM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts
Sucks when that happens. Happened to me on my ZDX when it was only a few months old and less than 5000 miles on it (hadn't even gotten my first oil change yet). Safelite came to my job and fixed it, but the crack is still very visible. I'm tempted to have a new windshield installed just because, but with my luck it'll probably happen again.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SH6MT
I didn't want to go through my insurance so I opted for an aftermarket version, with came to $245 installed!
I've had a string of bad luck with windshields and broke 2 or 3 in less than a year. So much that my insurance took away glass coverage for like 2 or 3 years... During that time, I broke another one which I had to cover out of pocket and $245 is way cheaper then the cheapest one I could find at the time.
It was more like $400 installed for an Accord.

At $245 installed, I would say that is most cases it's for sure not worth claiming !
Old 06-04-2014, 08:13 AM
Account closed

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That looks past the "fill" stage, sadly my wife's Sportwagon was banged with less than 300mi on the odo. Safelite tried to fix and cracked it clear across the glass (oops, sorry they said). One thing is that most insurance companies will pay the $50/$75 for a repair no matter your deductible as they would rather pay that than a new glass.

I wanted and OEM Acura windshield so fought my insurance company for the OEM replacement... $1200 for a glass. Normally most glass is from $150 to $400 and installers will work with you on price if it comes out of your pocket (normally about $200 less than they charge insurance).

Good luck, and from a former MINI Cooper owner, I used to go through a windshield once a quarter due to the glass being so upright. Any good shop will replace it with no issues, just make sure it is one approved by your insurance company.

Good luck

Last edited by Strippers4Me; 06-04-2014 at 08:15 AM.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Subsonic

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Mine cracked....3 times. replaced once. The first one was super small so i left it... Then, it shot across the bottom of the windshield on a super hot day... i left that for 2 years. Then one day on the 427, a truck threw a big rock right in front of driver's side, and it cracked smack in the middle.. so i replaced it. Dealer wanted something ridiculous (markham Acura), like 1500-1800 or something. If you search around you can find an installer in markham that should do it with oem glass for under 1k. I went to a guy off Bullock. i can't remember what i paid exactly because i bought the glass separately from the installer. I think it was under $600 installed....

2 weeks after i replaced the windshield, a rock cracked it again, but they were really small, so i went back to the guy and he filled it for me the next day. So far so good. But it'll likely just a matter of time before another truck throws a rock at me...
Old 06-05-2014, 07:16 PM
Advanced

Wowwww and i thought i had badluck @ teddybear. Yeah i called Markham Acura they wanted $1200 for it. Forget that went with SpeedyGlass off Laidlaw. Windshields not OEM but its the exact same look and comes from the same manufacturer. Insurance is covering it besides my deductible with no change to rates or premium and oh the company is paying $100 of my deductible. So basically $200 for replacement or $100 for repair which is unlikely. Figured might as well just do the replacement then.

Thanks everyone for the kind words lol.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:45 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
i also had this experience but safelite rescued my glass idk if that will be able to get repaired but try to see if they can repaor it first last resort is changng the winsshield changing the windshield breaks the factory bonding/seal of the car good luck ..every other day i look at my crack that safelite repaired.. I have a history of crack windshield so when my tl windshield cracked i got it fixed within 24hrs lol safelite said before we try and repair it we need to you to sign a consent formn because it might break i said smh anyway its not about me hope your car has a great recovery
Old 06-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Unfortunately this is a regular occurrence for me. I am on the highway for at least 200 miles a week and even though I take precautions (i.e. not driving close to other cars and never behind trucks) it still happens to me regularly. My grille has taken most of the abuse but my hood and windshield get their fair share too. Hell, even my sunroof was shattered once when I had it tilted open and it caught a rock in the "perfect" spot.

I had one spot repaired on my windshield but it didn't work properly and is spreading. About two weeks after that I got another one. I'm not in a rush to get the windshield repaired since neither is in my line of sight and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it happens again. Fortunately when I do decide to get it taken care of it won't cost my anything...in FL it's fully covered (no deductible) by your insurance.

Good luck getting it taken care of.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:30 PM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
just had it happen to me today. all i do is keep staring at it when i drive.. im so pissed off...