Size does matter!

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM
Not an Ashtray

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Size does matter!

I'm actually surprised that there aren't more complaints about the TL's size here (given that this forum tends to draw enthusiast drivers). Maybe this is not an issue for those of you who live in less congested areas, but I live in a major urban setting (Los Angeles). Out here, the streets are narrow and parking is a bit of a pain. So, a car that is a bit smaller and nimble is a plus (which is why I currently drive a TSX).

I understand that upscale buyers tend to want larger vehicles, and the typical TL driver probably has a family. But, the TL is now the same dimensions as many crossover SUVs (at least in width and length - not height of course).

To make matters worse, you get a wide long car - but not a car that has much in the way of trunk space, or that has rear seats that fold. In fact, the trunk situation for the new TL is worse than my 2004 TSX. Same cubic feet in storage, but doesn't have a seats that fold. For me, that feels like a deal killer because I won't be able to carry my bike in the car.

And, btw, the TL's near competition - the Maxima, is shorter, narrower, has a much larger trunk, and has seats that fold.

I hate to add to the negative chorus. Unlike several of you, I don't mind the styling and like nearly everything else about the TL. But, the size is really a killer for me.

Anyway, I put down a refundable deposit on a 3-series sportwagon yesterday. I've been driving Acura/Honda products as long as I can remember, so there is a chance I will get cold feet and come back to the TL.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm with you on the size. The new TL has gotten even bigger than the 3g TL, which is pretty sizable to start. Now it feels too big to me...

I like the size of the TSX better than the 4g TL.
Old 09-24-2008, 12:16 PM
Pro

I have a fairly large 3-car garage. My 3G fits in it but it's tight walking past the nose. An additional 6" will make it much tougher. Good point.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:32 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by Chung S
I'm with you on the size. The new TL has gotten even bigger than the 3g TL, which is pretty sizable to start. Now it feels too big to me...

I like the size of the TSX better than the 4g TL.
Totally agree with you on that last point.

In fact, I'd even prefer something the size of my current TSX (just a few inches more narrow then the new one, but really nimble around town).

If only the new TSX came with a V6 and a bit more steering feel! It would be the perfect car.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Racer

And oddly enough, Acura decided to go for a more sporting vehicle by making the 3G TL smaller in most dimensions than the 2G TL. Now they super-sized it!

I am also not happy about that at all.
Old 09-24-2008, 04:51 PM
10th Gear

I had the same question as well--why is the '09 TL so much larger than the '08? I have been informed by knowledgeable people that the added size is necessary to make room for the mechanism needed for the AWD model. I was told that designing an AWD model with exterior dimensions similar to that of the '08 would result in less interior space--which I'm sure Acura did not want.

I would assume that most TL buyers will select the FWD model. It appears that they will drive a considerably larger automobile primarily as a consequence of of the production of the AWD model--which most people won't buy.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 69 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by darth62
I'm actually surprised that there aren't more complaints about the TL's size here (given that this forum tends to draw enthusiast drivers). Maybe this is not an issue for those of you who live in less congested areas, but I live in a major urban setting (Los Angeles). Out here, the streets are narrow and parking is a bit of a pain. So, a car that is a bit smaller and nimble is a plus (which is why I currently drive a TSX).
I agree, but you have not to forget that the 4GN is intended taking the place of the RL in the Acura range, and the 3 GN RL in next 2 years becoming like an LS or A8.
The problem now is that shifting the TL to the RL level, we have a BIG hole at the place of the 3GN TL... The new TSX cannot be considered a sobstitute for it.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Racer

Keep in mind the car mags constantly refer to the TL as a "Realtor car" because it is a comfortable, near-lux car with lots of features at a great price. When polling the existing base of TL owners, the two things that people said they wanted were more HP and a larger back seat. Unfortunately, 6" of extra length only translated into 1" of extra rear leg room and about the same size trunk. So much for the marval of Japanese engineering... Probably still won't hold a real estate sign in the trunk...3G doesn't either (I am a RE Broker).

I also don't buy the idea that they needed to make the car larger because of the AWD. BMW and Mercedes added AWD, but didn't add a half foot to their cars overall length.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:36 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
I agree, I felt the 3G was a great size, big enough to hold 4 adults very comfortably and decent trunk. Now they add 6" to the length and almost 2" to the width and the damn truck is not even flat it has a big valley in it. Not sure why they made the car so much bigger if it only translated into 1" in rear leg room?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:10 PM
Not an Ashtray

Originally Posted by carguyrob
Keep in mind the car mags constantly refer to the TL as a "Realtor car" because it is a comfortable, near-lux car with lots of features at a great price. When polling the existing base of TL owners, the two things that people said they wanted were more HP and a larger back seat. Unfortunately, 6" of extra length only translated into 1" of extra rear leg room and about the same size trunk. So much for the marval of Japanese engineering... Probably still won't hold a real estate sign in the trunk...3G doesn't either (I am a RE Broker).

I also don't buy the idea that they needed to make the car larger because of the AWD. BMW and Mercedes added AWD, but didn't add a half foot to their cars overall length.
The lack of efficiency of the size is what kills me. If I have to drive a vehicle that is that big, I at least expect a big trunk. But, consider that the trunk of the Maxima (which is almost half a foot shorter) is a lot larger.

I think Acura is going wind up attracting and older clientèle, who is interested in a less sporty ride, than the best generation. Its so big now, that it will probably be seen as a somewhat more sporty competitor to the Lexus ES. That may not be a bad place to be from a sales perspective, but does not interest me as a potential owner.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the 3 and 5 sportwagons!- serioulsy, they look great-
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts

That's exactly why the Bimmers (as well as the IS250) is so small inside.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:36 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I personally don't disagree with you on the size, but its how it looks.

I'm sure if the design was better, the size wouldn't be too much of an issue.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Pro

And oddly enough, Acura decided to go for a more sporting vehicle by making the 3G TL smaller in most dimensions than the 2G TL. Now they super-sized it!
As an owner of a 2G TL who has been waiting for Acura to return the TL to its proper dimensions, with the 4G TL, they have right-sized it!
Old 09-24-2008, 11:58 PM
Racer

i think 3g TL is just right. Very roomy and luxurious inside and sporty outside.
Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 AM
Advanced

3G TL sure is very roomy inside, and with Type-S, it sure is sporty.

TL and the last gen CL has always hinted that this class of vehicle within Acura is sporty. How am I suppose to relate the 4G boat to the word sporty? It's just too big. Lexus LS has tons of horse power, but you don't see everyone calling it a sports car do you. Now the TSX looks and feel sporty, but with its 4 cylinder, it just doesn't drive very sporty.

I think Acura took a departure from what defined TL in previous generations and gone and made something... well, different. Perhaps they are trying to capitalize on the success and popularity of 3G TL and draw people towards the 4G, but now there's a gap in the product line. What's going to fill it? G35? A4? Lexus IS?
Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 AM
Not an Ashtray

TL and the last gen CL has always hinted that this class of vehicle within Acura is sporty. How am I suppose to relate the 4G boat to the word sporty? It's just too big. Lexus LS has tons of horse power, but you don't see everyone calling it a sports car do you. Now the TSX looks and feel sporty, but with its 4 cylinder, it just doesn't drive very sporty.

?
That numb EPS doesn't help any either!
Old 09-25-2008, 12:38 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 845 Likes on 526 Posts

I think Acura took a departure from what defined TL in previous generations and gone and made something... well, different. Perhaps they are trying to capitalize on the success and popularity of 3G TL and draw people towards the 4G, but now there's a gap in the product line. What's going to fill it? G35? A4? Lexus IS?
It seems to me they are moving the TL to compete with the Lexus G, Infiniti M, 5 series, and E Class, similar to what happened to the CTS. Only problem is like you said, there's a gap between the TSX and TL to compete directly with the G35, at least in terms of power. No worries though, as it's rumoured that beside the soon-to-come diesel engine, there will also be a V6 for the TSX.

Anyways, the 4G TL is as large as the aforementioned sedans (5, E, G, M, CTS), and I think I can associate sportiness to some of those cars, like the 5 series, M, and CTS. Afterall, it's still not as large as the S, A8, 7, LS, Q, or STS.