Should I trade in my car for a '12 TL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I trade in my car for a '12 TL?

Honestly, I've been having this itch to jump into a new car. I still have a little over 2 years left on my current car to pay but I want to jump into a brand new '12 TL awd 6mt. Any Suggestions?
Old 03-20-2011, 07:35 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by ACURA TSX'D
Honestly, I've been having this itch to jump into a new car. I still have a little over 2 years left on my current car to pay but I want to jump into a brand new '12 TL awd 6mt. Any Suggestions?
It all depends on your finanaces. If you owe more than current car is worth then don't do it. If you have a decent downpayment and equity in the car you have now, then maybe go for it.
Old 03-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
fuggin do it!

SH-AWD 6MT is the fuggin SEX!
Old 03-20-2011, 09:10 AM
-Brian

Received 241 Likes on 167 Posts
We all want what it is better and in a couple of years, the 2012 will be just like your current car.

Maybe it is just me, but I keep a car when I buy it.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Okay you asked, so here's dad's 2¢ worth. (father-son fireside chat)

I don't know you from Adam, but I'm going to step out in the middle of traffic and guess that you're under 40 and maybe even under 30, because what you're talking about here is generally thought of as a young person's car (or an eccrentric old person's car)

I also understand having a bad dose of the "I-wannas" - that's fine, but please go into this with your eyes wide open because you are going to eventually take a royal gouging of epic proportion when the day comes that you want to sell or trade-in any car with a stick shift. Trust me, been there and done that with several Corvettes in my lifetime.

'12 TL SH-AWD, yessir, you betcha, in a heartbeat!
With a stick shift? Judas priest, not unless you have money to burn (and since you'll be financing it, I'm guessing that you don't)

What initially seems appealing to you, (the SH-AWD) is nifty-keen (but expensive) date-bait that in reality appeals to fewer than 5% of TL buyers (according to my dealer). Compounding that niche-interest with a manual transmission also suggests to me that there's a good chance this car of your dreams may have to be special-ordered. Are you ready to plunk-down several thousand in earnest money and then wait 6 or 8 weeks for it?

I have been screwed so many times in my younger years on stick-shift cars that I can't say enough against them. Fun as hell to drive but a horrible investment. Three, four or more years from now you'll likely be trading it in for something else and that stick-shift is going to send up red flags to any used car manager that this car has been hot-rodded and beaten (whether it has or hasn't).

Also, saying that you have "a little over 2 years" still owing on your present car is another way of saying you're only 1/2-way through a typical 5-yr loan. If true, that would tell me that there's a good chance that you possibly still owe more than it's worth (unless you had a big down-payment).

Even with 0% financing (which I doubt you'll find on a 5-yr loan) with nothing else down besides a near zero-equity trade-in, you're looking at a minimum of a $750 monthly note. Can you handle this along with your other obligations and without unfairly penalizing significant others? Also, how stable is your income? If you lost your job could you still swing this?
Old 03-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot

I don't know you from Adam, but I'm going to step out in the middle of traffic and guess that you're under 40 and maybe even under 30, because what you're talking about here is generally thought of as a young person's car (or an eccrentric old person's car)

I also understand having a bad dose of the "I-wannas" - that's fine, but please go into this with your eyes wide open because you are going to eventually take a royal gouging of epic proportion when the day comes that you want to sell or trade-in any car with a stick shift. Trust me, been there and done that with several Corvettes in my lifetime.

With a stick shift? Judas priest, not unless you have money to burn (and since you'll be financing it, I'm guessing that you don't)

What initially seems appealing to you, (the SH-AWD) is nifty-keen (but expensive) date-bait that in reality appeals to fewer than 5% of TL buyers (according to my dealer). Compounding that niche-interest with a manual transmission also suggests to me that there's a good chance this car of your dreams may have to be special-ordered. Are you ready to plunk-down several thousand in earnest money and then wait 6 or 8 weeks for it?

I have been screwed so many times in my younger years on stick-shift cars that I can't say enough against them. Fun as hell to drive but a horrible investment. Three, four or more years from now you'll likely be trading it in for something else and that stick-shift is going to send up red flags to any used car manager that this car has been hot-rodded and beaten (whether it has or hasn't).

Also, saying that you have "a little over 2 years" still owing on your present car is another way of saying you're only 1/2-way through a typical 5-yr loan. If true, that would tell me that there's a good chance that you possibly still owe more than it's worth (unless you had a big down-payment).

Even with 0% financing (which I doubt you'll find on a 5-yr loan) with nothing else down besides a near zero-equity trade-in, you're looking at a minimum of a $750 monthly note. Can you handle this along with your other obligations and without unfairly penalizing significant others? Also, how stable is your income? If you lost your job could you still swing this?

Cap, thanks. I've decided to keep my car. Just to inform you, I'm a 27 year old Psychiatric Nurse. I've already made some financial mistakes in the past and have paid them off through having a steady paying job. I do have the money to put down but i've decided to keep my car and not make another horrible investment. Anyway, to be honest with you, i really want to do it but i've decided to be responsible with my money. I'll just wait til i've exhausted my payments. Thanks again for the reality check
Old 03-20-2011, 11:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very well put.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Cap, thanks. I've decided to keep my car. Just to inform you, I'm a 27 year old Psychiatric Nurse. I've already made some financial mistakes in the past and have paid them off through having a steady paying job. I do have the money to put down but i've decided to keep my car and not make another horrible investment. Anyway, to be honest with you, i really want to do it but i've decided to be responsible with my money. I'll just wait til i've exhausted my payments. Thanks again for the reality check
Glad to see your decision. I plan to keep mine until I run it to the ground. It's just makes better sense financially.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 AM
Advanced

Excellent post and very sound advice...

I was surprised though to read you just paid very close to full MSRP for a car.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Intermediate

Not an investment

Pardon me, I'd like to add my 1/10 cent to the Captain's excellent advice.

A car is not an "investment", it's an expense, and it can be a darn expensive major recurring one at that. Keep that in mind when you hear the siren call of the Gotta-have-it; wait a few days and the siren call will subside.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Asynchro
Pardon me, I'd like to add my 1/10 cent to the Captain's excellent advice.

A car is not an "investment", it's an expense, and it can be a darn expensive major recurring one at that. Keep that in mind when you hear the siren call of the Gotta-have-it; wait a few days and the siren call will subside.

I concur...car are surely not investments and a recurring expense.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Get it and make sure its a SHAWD6MT...You are 27 and can recover any financial lost...Dont live life afraid...
Old 03-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
Get it and make sure its a SHAWD6MT...You are 27 and can recover any financial lost...Dont live life afraid...
Or foolish.

"Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid."
The Friends of Eddie Coyle
Old 03-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Also... "you just can't fix stupid..."
Old 03-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
I'm scrathcing that same itch. I guess if you're not taking food off the table, clothes off your back or jeopardizing your finances, go for it.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
honestly i have the 2011 ..i know there is not much difference between the 11 & 12 other than facelift and 6 speed manual tranny .....i have had the car since december and am losing sleep wising i would've gotten a better car...........

Dont get me wrong if you are looking for a nice car....that's reliable......and looks good and cost efficient it's perfect .....that's all the reasons i went for mine ....i even threw the dubs on it and threw some light tints .....i am on a different website every day looking at cars i could trade it in for ............

depending on what you want it for ...it's a perfect car ...but if you want a CAR CAR ....continue looking before you make the final decision ........

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
honestly i have the 2011 ..i know there is not much difference between the 11 & 12 other than facelift and 6 speed manuel tranny .....i have had the car since december and am losing sleep wising i would've gotten a better car...........

Dont get me wrong if you are looking for a nice car....that's reliable......and looks good and cost efficient it's perfect .....that's all the reasons i went for mine ....i even threw the dubs on it and threw some light tints .....i am on a different website every day looking at cars i could trade it in for ............

depending on what you want it for ...it's a perfect car ...but if you want a CAR CAR ....continue looking before you make the final decision ........

^^i meant 6 speed auto tranny

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-21-2011 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:41 PM
Drifting

honestly i have the 2011 ..i know there is not much difference between the 11 & 12 other than facelift and 6 speed manual tranny .....i have had the car since december and am losing sleep wising i would've gotten a better car...........

Just curious, what "CAR CAR" are you considering?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:06 PM
Pro

had a couple in mind

Originally Posted by Treblig
Just curious, what "CAR CAR" are you considering?
^initially i was looking at the M37x but thought that was to pricey for the car .....................so i started to look at bmw 5 series but they want alot for those also .....for the price of a TL they are selling the 5 series 2 to 3 years older with 40k on them ...and besides i like the body on the 4th gen TL better than the 5 series anyway so my last option was the 6 series .......but trying to get one of those with low miles for less than 40k is damn near impossible .......i have a brand new TL havent even hit 2000 miles yet its like why go back 2 or 3 years and have a car with 40k on it and be paying more .....doesnt add up

so what i will prob do is try to hold out until the initial acura warranty is about to run out then trade the car in ..and by that time ...they prob will have some crazy car out that i really really want .............
Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Drifting

^initially i was looking at the M37x but thought that was to pricey for the car .....................so i started to look at bmw 5 series but they want alot for those also .....for the price of a TL they are selling the 5 series 2 to 3 years older with 40k on them ...and besides i like the body on the 4th gen TL better than the 5 series anyway so my last option was the 6 series .......but trying to get one of those with low miles for less than 40k is damn near impossible .......i have a brand new TL havent even hit 2000 miles yet its like why go back 2 or 3 years and have a car with 40k on it and be paying more .....doesnt add up

so what i will prob do is try to hold out until the initial acura warranty is about to run out then trade the car in ..and by that time ...they prob will have some crazy car out that i really really want .............
What don't you like about your TL?
Old 03-21-2011, 03:09 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by lji
Glad to see your decision. I plan to keep mine until I run it to the ground. It's just makes better sense financially.
Well... with all road construction off of Washington and Upper Kirby that might be sooner than later...
Old 03-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Pro

i can not pinpoint it.....

Originally Posted by Treblig
What don't you like about your TL?
^i really dont have an answer.......i think it is partially that i am now on my 3rd TL .........idk ....i just have a problem i believe.......i have a bad habit .........i just want a car that ...when i pull up no matter where i am at .........i get that WOW look at that car type of reaction.........lol....like the other day when i seen this dude with an BMW M6 ........i need to go to a meeting like AA but for cars........and it doesnt help that my boy jumped from a cherokee with the hemi srt8 to a porcshe suv gts model .............
Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Buying a new car is the worst investment you can make and that is why I do my homework and buy dependable/reliable cars and drive them till the wheels fall off.
I also take care of my cars and keep up on the maintenacnce and repairs at all times. I definitely get my money's worth out of the cars I buy.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
^i really dont have an answer.......i think it is partially that i am now on my 3rd TL .........idk ....i just have a problem i believe.......i have a bad habit .........i just want a car that ...when i pull up no matter where i am at .........i get that WOW look at that car type of reaction.........lol....like the other day when i seen this dude with an BMW M6 ........i need to go to a meeting like AA but for cars........and it doesnt help that my boy jumped from a cherokee with the hemi srt8 to a porcshe suv gts model .............

You want a "WOW" effect-Lamborghini will do that for you every time!

2011 National AcuraZine Meet-Kansas City-June 12, 2011-Details Here!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:20 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by jspagna1
Buying a new car is the worst investment you can make and that is why I do my homework and buy dependable/reliable cars and drive them till the wheels fall off.
I also take care of my cars and keep up on the maintenacnce and repairs at all times. I definitely get my money's worth out of the cars I buy.
Indeed.. no other purchase loses value like a car does.. an average of 60% (according to financial wiz's) in the first 3 years. I'd stay in my '08 if it had the upgrades of the '12.

Smart money says to drive a car until the wheels fall off, saving money along the way to but another well kept used car afterwards... I don't listen as well as I should.. but none of here do either. or most of us, anyway.
Old 03-22-2011, 06:59 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Indeed.. no other purchase loses value like a car does.. an average of 60% (according to financial wiz's) in the first 3 years. I'd stay in my '08 if it had the upgrades of the '12.

Smart money says to drive a car until the wheels fall off, saving money along the way to but another well kept used car afterwards... I don't listen as well as I should.. but none of here do either. or most of us, anyway.
This is totaly off topic so caveat emptor. It is also not directed to the above posters: I would like to offer a different viewpoint: cars are one of the least depreciating assets you can buy, with the exception of investments. The main perception problem is that with the value of the car versus a computer or a toaster, you feel the depreciation much more. How much is your new computer after 1 year? Or you clothes (and I have a wardrobe worth a new small car so I can relate) ? Or nice vacations to an exotic location? A car is like any other goods: a basic choice of consumption. How much you want to spend is a matter of need and preference.

My point of view is: calculate how much you need to cover your desires (including saving for your old days) then choose how to burn the rest (if any).

My
-YetiTL
Old 03-22-2011, 07:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
stick with ur current car, the 2012 is a little diff then ur current car but not that much ... wait for the next generation to make the jump
Old 03-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by CalgaryAWDTL
Excellent post and very sound advice...

I was surprised though to read you just paid very close to full MSRP for a car.
Yes I did. When it's "opening day" of sales on the new model and inventory is low, it's a seller's market. I could have saved approx. $4500 by buying a 2011, but with the 2012s already on the ground it means the 2011 just had a birthday and will hearafter be considered last year's model. Essentially Acura screwed owners of 2011 and prior by bringing out their 2012 before the end of even the 1st quarter of 2011, forcing accelerated depreciation.

I'm sure the economic downturn hurt sales, but with the early introduction of the 2012 I suspect Acura is also trying to rectify an unpopular and highly criticized cosmetic mistake. Some would argue that "the beak" grows on you, but so does ringworm. You either like the beak or you don't and most of Acura's strongest critics (their customers) didn't. They were losing sales. If I'm right about this, we could see a Dutch Auction later this year on remaining 2011 inventory along with a commensurate hit on 2009/10/11 trade-in values. Owners are understandably going to be hot.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:52 PM
Advanced

Yes I did. When it's "opening day" of sales on the new model and inventory is low, it's a seller's market. I could have saved approx. $4500 by buying a 2011, but with the 2012s already on the ground it means the 2011 just had a birthday and will hearafter be considered last year's model. Essentially Acura screwed owners of 2011 and prior by bringing out their 2012 before the end of even the 1st quarter of 2011, forcing accelerated depreciation.

I'm sure the economic downturn hurt sales, but with the early introduction of the 2012 I suspect Acura is also trying to rectify an unpopular and highly criticized cosmetic mistake. Some would argue that "the beak" grows on you, but so does ringworm. You either like the beak or you don't and most of Acura's strongest critics (their customers) didn't. They were losing sales. If I'm right about this, we could see a Dutch Auction later this year on remaining 2011 inventory along with a commensurate hit on 2009/10/11 trade-in values. Owners are understandably going to be hot.
Actually, I just spoke to my dealer today at NW Acura in Calgary and he told me they just sold their last 2011 TL and these guys are very high volume Acura sales. He also said they're not discounting the 12s much at all until at least next year around here. Only owners that paid anywhere near MSRP for the 10 and 11s would and should be upset but most got serious discounts which makes your point mute when it comes to resale. I got 7K off for essentially the same car as the '12, and I quite like my car's more aggressive stance as do most people I know and everyone at the dealership.

BTW, not all stick shift cars are less desirable. Family sedans like the TL, yes, but most car enthusiats would take a 6spd anyday over these auto and hybrid trannies out there like the DCT, PDK etc especially with sports cars.

Anyways, enjoy your car.

Last edited by CalgaryAWDTL; 03-22-2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:51 AM
1999 TL

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Well considering that the improvement of the economy demands the people to spend more money ... please buy the new 12 TL. Don't worry about going into debt because it is quite normal to live above ones means and commit financial suicide. Remember someone will always bail you out.
Old 03-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
^ lol sound financial advice
Old 03-23-2011, 11:24 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by acurator99
Well considering that the improvement of the economy demands the people to spend more money ... please buy the new 12 TL. Don't worry about going into debt because it is quite normal to live above ones means and commit financial suicide. Remember someone will always bail you out.
A true statement about the world we live in today and what got us into this finacial mess to begin with.