Which should i go for?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 AM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Cool Which should i go for?

Ok here is the deal.
I went to the dealer to pick up a small part that i was replacing, when a saw the new 2012 TL in White. ohhh shinickies!! It was with the full body kit and the chrome wheels. I was moved.

I have a 2007 TL-S silver with black int but I still owe 8500.00 bucks for it. So the dealer tells me that if i give him my car he'll put me in a 2012 TL with the tech package. Not SH-AWD or the Advanced package just the TL with the Navi.

He gave me a monthly payment of 299.00.

What do you guys think? Am i being F@$!? or is this a good deal?

I have been wanting to either sell my car, trade it in for a 2011 or get into a lease.

Please help me choose i am new to the leasing biz.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:29 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I need more info on the figures before I could say if it is a good deal. How many miles on your car? Is that $299 a 84 month purchase or a 60 month lease? Let us know some more #'s.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:35 AM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr.Skytech
Ok here is the deal.
I went to the dealer to pick up a small part that i was replacing, when a saw the new 2012 TL in White. ohhh shinickies!! It was with the full body kit and the chrome wheels. I was moved.

I have a 2007 TL-S silver with black int but I still owe 8500.00 bucks for it. So the dealer tells me that if i give him my car he'll put me in a 2012 TL with the tech package. Not SH-AWD or the Advanced package just the TL with the Nav.

He gave me a monthly payment of 299.00.

What do you guys think? Am i being F@$!? or is this a good deal?

I have been wanting to either sell my car, trade it in for a 2011 or get into a lease.

Please help me choose i am new to the leasing biz.
I HONESTLY think you will REGRET not getting th SH-AWD version!
The following users liked this post:
Stew4HD (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 04:24 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
^ +100
Old 06-09-2011, 05:26 AM
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts
Something doesn't seem right.. You're giving the dealer a car you owe $8500 on and they'll give you a 2012 TL Tech for 299 per month? Sounds to good be true? What r the terms? Was this Paragon? Also, I agree with everyone else, SH AWD is the way to go.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:33 AM

The term is for 36 month lease. I have 45K miles on mine and its a CPO.

I am not going for the SH-AWD because of milage. I thinki will spend money more offent just to fill up.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
That sounds to good to be true, we need some numbers in orde to see what they are doing. Maybe they gave you those numbers with like 7k down.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 AM
Racer

The term is for 36 month lease. I have 45K miles on mine and its a CPO.

I am not going for the SH-AWD because of milage. I thinki will spend money more offent just to fill up.
I'm averaging 18 mpg on my AWD with the crazy stop & go traffic in Brooklyn and Manhattan, in addition to a few races on the BQE.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:21 AM

Diddy - Paragon Acura is a dealership in Northern Blvd. Queens. I too live in NY and you are so right about that damn stop and go. That's pretty good millage you are getting.

Well as far as KBB goes my car is worth around 22-24K just the way it is. Remember i have the full body kit with ASPEC Wheels and the paint is perfect. swirls yeah but still shiny.

Since i still owe 8500.00 the dealer is giving me 18500.00 for it. So technically the car is paying 10K towards the lease. He said that this includes the first payment and all of the other fees.

Is there anything i should look out for when going into a lease? I am new to the lease business but i get the finance down.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 AM
Racer

I would personally stay away from Paragon Acura. I went there to buy a 2010 TL AWD Tech with the 19" rims and they wanted to give me 5k for my 04 TL nav, body kit, etc. with 75k miles on, even though KBB says it's worth 12k. I said no thanks and kept it moving. I decided to drive 400 miles for my AWD in VIrginia. Got 10,200 on my trade in.

Why lease instead of finance?
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
299 for 36 months to OWN the car is a decent deal

299 for 36 months to LEASE the car is getting raped

NEVER negotiate monthly payments. Pay off your TL and enjoy it. When that's done, the SH-AWD's will have dropped in value and you would be able to get in one much easier.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:27 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
i would say as most are saying for 1 stay away from paragon. 2 don't jump into a lease because then when the lease is up u have to either walk away,get into another car anyway, or buy that car out after youve had it for 3 years.

a smart decision and it's only my opinion i would go to either acura of westchester or curry acura preferably curry acura trade in your car look at an 09-11 TL unless you really want a 12 put that 10 towards it and finance the rest. if they still have good deals you should be able to finance a car for maybe a little more than 299 whic actually sounded to good to be true.

Keep the ZINE informed.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That deal is pretty bad. First they are ripping you on the trade in if KBB has your car listed at $22-24k trade. Selling the car and buying/leasing a new one should be looked at two separate transactions. If you think they are ripping you off on trade in, why would you think they are hooking you up on the sale?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:51 AM

Yeah you guys are right. Leasing is a bad deal for me right now. I do like the 09-11 model but only in Silver. The 2012 looks good in white or grey. They totally f@$# up the silver for that year.
AccessPhoto - You are right about financing another car once mine is paid off. But i wont get what i am getting now for it because of depreciation.

So as of right now I am looking into getting a 2010-2011 TL maybe with SHAWD.

I will go to the websites of those guys mentioned above and check them out.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They have a lease special right now with $2500 down $399 a month for 36 months. So if my math is right they are only giving you $14600 for your car. Sounds like a bad deal to me!
Old 06-09-2011, 01:14 PM

SGT - thats kinda bad since i owe 8500.00. That means that they are taking 6000 for them. Shit that sucks!
Old 06-09-2011, 02:04 PM
Pro

SGT - thats kinda bad since i owe 8500.00. That means that they are taking 6000 for them. Shit that sucks!
listen man don't let people on here tell you what they have done & try to do. I was told by more than 1 dealer on more than 1 occasion that KELLY BLUE BOOK doesnt sell cars the dealer does.

They will rarely give you anywhere near KBB even if the car has a clean title RARELY . The fact they are giving you that much over what u owe is actually shocking cause they don't like doing that either.

They are in it to make money helping you is very secondary to dealers. If they are not coming off both ways they will rarely budge. I went to 6 different dealers tryna trade my 06 TL in with 50k on the dash in DEC and every dealer i forget what KBB said it was worth but i owed 16 every dealer wanted to give me 11K both acura & other car dealers for the car.

I then went to curry just as shot in the dark and & they told me 15 so i ran with it. Curry buys cars weather you are trading in or not so that's the reason i got so much for it. Plus the fact i was buying a new one.

I would say shop around a little and see whats the best deal for you. If im not mistaken you said you liked the silver TL if im not mistaken check curry acura they had a 2010 i believe didnt have sh-awd but it did have the tech package with 9k on it for under 30k.Not to for sure if it's still there though.

But do your research & go to a couple different places see whats the most you can get for your car & go from there.

Because to many people up here have war stories on how they haggled the dealers into giving them over bluebook for their car and how they talked the dealer down 10 thousand under sticker on a fully loaded car .

not saying you cant negotiate somethings but most of the time it needs to work out more for the dealer.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Pro

on another note make sure the next car you do get is one that you want because u know already once you get that one the value drops so if you dont pay it off before you want another one you will be back in this same position again . Even though it's not that bad because you are not in the negative with your car you would actually havve the loan paid off and then and extra almost 10k to play with for a down payment.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
It's not a terrible trade in price, it's probably the average for this car. No one ever buys a car at full Blue Book retail price so you can't expect full Blue Book trade in. To get a good real world idea, be realistic in what kind of offers you would get if you sold it yourself and deduct another $2k-$3k for the dealer's costs and that is a fair trade in.

Usually to get a full KBB trade in, it comes at the expense of the new car deal and they just wish-wash the numbers, meaning you are not really getting a good deal on the new purchase and that is where they make up the room to represent a better trade in deal. They "play" the customer as to what they feel is the more important piece to them, the new price or the trade price and later, adjust the numbers accordingly.

Unless you plan to drive the car for several more years where you wouldn't have a car payment and could save all that additional money, you should consider liquidating that equity or at least going to work for you in a new car. The normal here would be to put it all down and finance or pull it all out and lease.

If you buy vs lease, that $18,500 now becomes about $20,000 because you would only be paying taxes on the new car amount left over after the full trade in amount deduction. It saves you from paying full tax.

Again, think about what someone is realistically going to give you for your car privately, it could be more but enough more that it's worth the trouble? If it's $1k, I usually give it to the dealer and sign papers on a day that allows me to skip a month of payments which effectively makes it less and also gives the dealer a good price on my car to profit from and you use that to tell them it is a "loss" on your part, to get you a better deal on the new car. If you play and time it right, you get nearly full private sale price and save the trouble while geting a great deal on a new car.

You could even get creative and pull all of that equity out and finance all of the purchase price and put that money into a high yield savings or CD. Of course, there are other investment avenues of that amount of money which could yield gains as high as being able to pay for your car payment, gas and even insurance every month but naturally those are much more risky.

This works IMO because I can't see the new payment being far from what it already is now, without the full details anyway. You get a new car at a monthly you are already comfortable with, no worry about the warranty, out of warranty repairs, upcoming potential brake and tire costs, etc, and it's likely, considering all of this, that you don't stand to get a better return waiting until it's paid off.

It depends on what your plans are though, if you are going to get a new car at some point while you are still paying for it or immediately after it's all paid for anyway, then there is not much sense in waiting but if you are going to drive it for at least another year after it's paid, then do that and don't give getting a new car a second thought.

If you do decide to get a new car, I wouldn't do anything without full disclosure, especially if leasing. They can waive a magic monthly figure in front of your eyes but take you for ride on the paperwork and you woudn't really know it. The $299 puts all that money down on leasing. IMO leasing wasn't invented for you to put money down, the point was to not have to come out of pocket, at least for not much more than taxes and fees but usually you will pay that $10k anyway, either upfront or later, so it's up to you. Personally, I like to have as much money in my hands (as opposed to theirs) as possible.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 06-09-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 02:52 PM

TRIUMPHT - You are right about the KBB stuff, Acura has this app that determins whats the value of the car depending on its state. so 18500.00 and up is a pretty good deal. Just that the lease part is not sticking with me.

Also, i have been reading what reviewers say about the SH-AWD and they all love it. on the 2010-2011 how is the millage?

I also thought of selling my car here on the black market. I have tons os pictures and the car is certified. 60K - Other and 100k - Powertrain.

I have all the service records too. I'll even throw in the Viper 5902 alarm with the proximity sensor and the tilt sensor. My car is fully loaded. It needs nothing but a good home.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Pro

Also, i have been reading what reviewers say about the SH-AWD and they all love it. on the 2010-2011 how is the millage?
honestly the gas mileage is fair. as far as the fill up thats another story. It was 45 dollars max to fill up the tank of my 06 TL . Now it's 70 & sometimes over.

The gas mileage is okay i mean if you drive like your auditioning for the next F&F movie then it sucks but if you drive normal what ever that is lol it gets pretty good gas mileage.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
honestly the gas mileage is fair. as far as the fill up thats another story. It was 45 dollars max to fill up the tank of my 06 TL . Now it's 70 & sometimes over.

The gas mileage is okay i mean if you drive like your auditioning for the next F&F movie then it sucks but if you drive normal what ever that is lol it gets pretty good gas mileage.
I'm averaging 18 MPG on my TL-AWD and it cost about 60-65 bucks to fill the tank @ well over 4 bucks a gallon.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:58 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by diddy_nyc
I'm averaging 18 MPG on my TL-AWD and it cost about 60-65 bucks to fill the tank @ well over 4 bucks a gallon.
i honestly don't know down to the exact number on how many miles i get to the gallon but when i drive regular speed limits my gas goes slow & when i push it the gas goes super fast.

That's good if your fill up is 60-65 . i usually use shell here in N.Y i went to jersey one day and got BP they filled it from E it was about 70. 75 one time here in N.Y .Every since then i try not to let it get to low ..it was only 2 occasions i let it get to E. Last time i filled it from a little less than half it was 50 dollars my last TL was 40-45 . F-it though i love the car not to mention i jumped up to 20's i knew what to expect.

Last edited by TRIUMPHT; 06-09-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Skytech, what is the mileage allowance on that lease? Is it a low mileage, 10K miles/year lease? Depending on your driving habits, that might be far too low. If you increase it to 15K/year, that'll drive up the cost of the lease.

I would also direct you to leaseguide.com to learn all there is to know about auto leasing...

Last edited by n-spring; 06-09-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:00 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Honestly I think that getting a TL non SH-AWD is like getting an Audi non Quattro...still a nice car for sure and you may not need the AWD system weather wise...still you would miss a very nice driving experience...just my 0.02 cents...
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM

The millage is 15K a year. I will check out that website thanks n-spring.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 AM

i went to Park Ave Acura and got a horrible suprize but a not so bad offer. Will post the details latter.
Old 06-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Ok when i get there they guy had sold the car. It was on the lot waiting to be picked-up.

Went over to another dealership and test drove the 2012 TL and it was a hell of a ride. Even when going fast it drops down the rpms. It is designed to save on gas.

I am now leaning towards a lease. I figure that my CPO is almost up so i have to change it. i dont want to buy because i might want to switch agian so i guess lease would be better for me.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:35 AM
Pro

I am now leaning towards a lease. I figure that my CPO is almost up so i have to change it. i dont want to buy because i might want to switch agian so i guess lease would be better for me.
If that's the case then lease all the way. Makes more sense. Then you could switch it up every couple of years.I should've leased my car. I've never kept a car for more than 3 years.