Rustproofing at the dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
Rustproofing at the dealership

Hello all, i purchased my 4G Tl in Feb 2011 and paid for rustproofing to be done at the dealership, i was told that the bottom will be sprayed with a black rubberised undercoating and all inner panels will have a clear coating, when i brought the car home i happened to look underneath and i did not see any black undercoating on the underside,i then opened the doors and the was a little bit of cream coloured sticky spray but nothing on the inner panels, i took the car back immediately and they put the car on the hoist,both the service manager and the salesman agreed that a very poor job was done and they told to bring the car back when i put it on the road in April,my question is to anyone who has had their car rustproofed,how much of the underside was done?,did they do the inner panels?,how much of the hood and engine compartment was done?, all my previous cars was well sprayed in all the areas i mentioned. I have to take the car in next to have it redone so i just wanted to hear from other Acura owners who has had their cars rustproofed,
Thank you.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:18 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Rustproofing at the dealership = major rip-off.

Same for "First Place Finish" (or whatever name they call it at your dealership).

Same for pretty much all dealer "add on's" that are not OE options (A-Spec, for example).

Sorry.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 PM
Drifting

Perhaps it is a rip off but at $499 and a lifetime warranty on rusting once a yearly inspection is done i figured i could not go wrong,we do get some crazy winters here in Canada,even though i won't be using the car in the winter for now.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember reading in Consumer Reports a long time ago that rustproofing was a waste of money. When they spray inside the door panels, the goop runs down and blocks the weep holes at the bottom of the door that normally allow water to drain. The result is water that gets trapped inside the door and causes rust. Any holes they drill for access can cause problems; did they drill holes in the rocker panels or doors and cover the holes with rubber grommets? When they spray the undercarriage with the black goop, supposedly over time the goop will flake or separate, causing pockets that allow water to enter, get trapped and cause rust. Also, the overspray gets onto exhaust parts causing a burning odor.

One of the things I did when I picked up my TL last year was inspect the undercarriage for damage and leaks. I noticed that the factory had already applied a sticky black substance in the wheel wells and underside. So I think paying the dealer for additional rustproofing is unnecessary.

Also, look at the fine print on the "lifetime warranty" of the aftermarket rustproofing. It may be full of weasel clauses such as rust not being covered until it has actually perforated the sheet metal! I remember that little beauty from when I was young & stupid and paid for Rusty Jones rustproofing.

I think a better preventative is hosing the undercarriage occasionally when temperatures allow, to flush away the salt and grime.

Last edited by Asynchro; 04-22-2011 at 10:11 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:32 AM
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Rust proofing is an absolute ripoff. The never even apply that stuff because they know youll be long out of that car before anything starts to rust. Its basically free money for the dealership.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:42 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Rustproofing is a waste of money.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:46 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Unless you plan on keeping the car at least 15 years I wouldn't pay for rust proofing....
Old 04-23-2011, 10:34 AM
Advanced

Wasted your money. Any of those gimmicks are just extra profit. I believe I have read and few posts from former F&I salesmen at dealerships that said everything they offer to sell you is already on the car (polish, sealant, etc) and you just get suckered into paying for it again. If I would be possible, I'd rather not have the dealer ever touch my car prior to buying it. Every dealership is owned and staffed by professional con artists (so to speak) that manage to stay legal (most of the time).
Old 04-23-2011, 10:37 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ruby
Unless you plan on keeping the car at least 15 years I wouldn't pay for rust proofing....

It took 17 years for my Legend to start rusting, and it was in areas under paint and clear coat. It would have rusted at exactly the same time whether or not it was "rust proofed".
Old 04-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Undercoating

Undercoating is different than a oil spray, it might be included in a package together but I definetely advise any one buying a new car to do the undercoating (rubberized coating) but before the vehicle is driven on the road. Provides great protection underneath and also helps with sound proofing the vehicle. If you compare a car that has been undercoated and one which hasn't after a few years you will certainly see visible corrosion difference underneath. In your case though having driven through the elements of the weather already I would think undercoating it now is too late you might trap salt or moisture in between the layer of undercoat and the frame of car. I would just stick with the oil spraying from now on.
Old 04-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Drifting

Received 568 Likes on 367 Posts
My experience is consistent with most of these posts. Had rustproofing done on two cars - they rusted within 10 years, especially where they drill the holes in the rocker panels.

Had a Legend for 18 years - no rustproofing and no rust.

I think it's a pure profit center for the dealer with virtually no value added for the customer.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
About a hour ago, I fininshed rotating my tires. While I had them off, I cleaned the inside of the wheel wells with warm water and some car wash soap, (not dishsoap). My car has never been driven in the rain, let alone snow, exposed to salt, sand, or other ice melting chemicals. Still, when I went to wipe off the dust, grime, & water puddle spots, the factory black undercoating on the metal frame came off with the very first swipe of my cloth....like it was water color paint!

And for those who haven't noticed yet, the rear wheel well liners have a felt like sound proofing surface on them.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:33 PM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Now go every year because you miss one time and you will be voided. You do the inspection because they won't. You fight when you find any discoloration because they will claim anything not to do anything. If you find any legitimate rust that will be a manufactures defect and is not covered. Then if they do something it will be a half ass job. FU to to the dealers that do this and the company's that make this slop.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Drifting

Thank you all for your responses, good information and advice as usual,i have already paid for it and had it done so i will have to live with it, the car is brand new and will probably only be driven for about 6 months a year so i should have no problems with rust, anyways thanks again.
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts
Originally Posted by KarKraze
Thank you all for your responses, good information and advice as usual,i have already paid for it and had it done so i will have to live with it, the car is brand new and will probably only be driven for about 6 months a year so i should have no problems with rust, anyways thanks again.
No problem.

At least you'll keep it in mind when you buy your next vehicle.

Learn something new everyday.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
if the factory wanted this sh it on your car, they would have put it there...