Royal Purple?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Royal Purple?

Friends...in searching the 4G TL forum I haven't found any 4G owner perspective about this motor oil for our cars here on AZ. Is anyone using this oil and or brand of filter? I understand there are a lot of personal opinions about motor oil and I want yours if you have used Royal Purple? Everytime I walk the oil aisle at Wally World the purple 5 quart jug catches my eye however I've never used it. I do my own oil changes every 4-5K miles and I don't really concern myself too much with the cost of oil, I simply want to get the best oil to keep my motor clean, deposit free, running smooth and provide me with many many years of service.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
do you have a picture or link ive never seen the brand: purple oil...have you read it could be a subsidiary of another brand just how i think castrol started nexgen i think or the recycling oil, I know its suppose to be the next best ultra premium lubricant oil better than avg premium synthetic

Last edited by real_mckoy; 01-14-2015 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2015, 11:42 PM
Subsonic

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts
I was warned never to use Royal Purple oil with a car that has cats still, as it contains a lot of additives that can corrode thru the element.

I use Motul, Mobil1 and Castrol in my cars.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by Georgiey22
Friends...in searching the 4G TL forum I haven't found any 4G owner perspective about this motor oil for our cars here on AZ. Is anyone using this oil and or brand of filter? I understand there are a lot of personal opinions about motor oil and I want yours if you have used Royal Purple? Everytime I walk the oil aisle at Wally World the purple 5 quart jug catches my eye however I've never used it. I do my own oil changes every 4-5K miles and I don't really concern myself too much with the cost of oil, I simply want to get the best oil to keep my motor clean, deposit free, running smooth and provide me with many many years of service.
I'm newer to AZ, but it seems like everyone and their mother asks about what oil to use. Some quick thoughts -

1. Check BobIsTheOilGuy (BITOG) and read up some there to draw your own conclusions.

2. If you're really concerned, check out Blackstone Labs you can send them samples of your used oil and they'll tell you how well it held up at different mileage intervals.

On my '12 and '13 Mazda I had (Skyactiv engine), Penzoil Platinum 0w20 was the way to go. Full synthetic, performed very well, and was easily accessibly (5qt jugs at Walmart). Penzoil Platinum consistently performed in Blackstone tests from a bunch of people, it's a very good synthetic.

On my S2000 ('04 supercharged), it's Castrol Syntec (might be Edge?). My car burned less oil and I get the warm-fuzzies when I drive it. I tried Mobil1 (burned off) and a few others but this one seemed to work best. I did have Royal Purple in the transmission once, didn't like the performance and switched over to Amsoil's MTF and then the differential has always been Amsoil Severe Gear 75w140.

I haven't had to do an oil change yet in the TL, but I'm going to be going with an OEM filter, Penzoil Platinum (5w20 I think is for SHAWD?), OEM ATF in the transmission, and probably switch to Amsoil in the rear.
The following users liked this post:
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 07:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
I do my own oil changes every 4-5K miles and I don't really concern myself too much with the cost of oil, I simply want to get the best oil to keep my motor clean, deposit free, running smooth and provide me with many many years of service.
Redline w/ RP filter.
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 08:32 AM
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 97 Posts
I've used Royal Purple for years in my 95 Legend (160k miles), and it runs great. Can't say that it's magical, but it did improve some ticking noises from the top end that I used to have with other oils of the same viscosity. I only switched to Mobil 1 for my TL because finding 5w20 RP is kind of hard in my area.
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 11:37 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Royal purple

Royal Purple is good oil and ya I've seen it over at Walmart but I think im going to stick with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5w20 I've watched videos on youtube and I checked all the websitevideos on youtube and I checked all the websites and thats the best oil I can come up with over at Walmart. Not a big fan of Mobil 1 the disappearing oil.
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,211 Posts
Pennzoil UP is a Group III base stock oil so technically it's not a TRUE synthetic....only with the additives does it become IV.
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
your car does not need royal purple..
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-15-2015, 06:12 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
I use acura fully synthetic oil 5w-20 in my 2012 TL SH-AWD. My second choice would be Mobil 1 fully synthetic.
Georgiey22 (01-15-2015)
Old 01-16-2015, 09:56 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same here I use Acura 5w20 Full Synthetic. I really wonder is it truly Full synthetic or just a marketing gimmick and who is the actual manufacturer?
Old 01-16-2015, 10:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
IMO I would use a heavier oil on the SH-AWD cars like 5W-30 to help with the oil burning issue
Old 01-17-2015, 12:48 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
using synthetic oil, the car owner should keep it consistent, they say it is better for the engine and will make it last longer than using conventional oil do we have proof? comparing what your neighbor used and what you have used over the pass 25 yrs if you had the same car besides looking at surveys and results from diff sources. I put over 200k on an 92 accord using conventional oil and today the car still runs. Dont get me wrong there were times when i used high mileage, then switch to synthetic but i was not consistent with the grade. I dont have proof, consistency is the key. Our cars were designed to use conventional oil.. This is research I will have to do. I guess to really see the difference have to be consistent with the product we use. Unless we(OP) and all who voice their input on this thread commit to using the same oil that we have in the engine now until and report back 30 years from now to see the real results, how about that...One thing I didnt mention was when i did the oil change on the accord it was a 4cyl i used to always add a bottle of lucas oil stabilizer(oil is not enough)i remember the bottle saying it. that thing was so thick I felt like i was chocking when i put it in with the oil can anyone give me or us any feedback on the lucas product off topic thouh the thread is about the Purple..
Old 01-17-2015, 08:49 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I used Mobil1 full synthetic in the past and had good result. The car was running smoother and more responsive, not sure about Royal purple. It can be better or the same as mobil1, there currently isn't any real objective data in my opinion to prove that yet... Any full synthetic is good enough for our TL...
Georgiey22 (01-18-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 12:50 AM
Instructor

Thanks Cooldude01 based on thoughts, feedback and what little research I can find, I am going to continue to use Mobil 1 0W20 motor oil and Mobil 1 oil filter in my FWD. Here is to 200K+ miles!!

Originally Posted by Cooldude01
I used Mobil1 full synthetic in the past and had good result. The car was running smoother and more responsive, not sure about Royal purple. It can be better or the same as mobil1, there currently isn't any real objective data in my opinion to prove that yet... Any full synthetic is good enough for our TL...
Old 01-18-2015, 04:29 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
No problem.
You can use Mobil1 for now and change it to Royal Purple once or twice to see if there is any significant different between the two and let us know.
Good luck..
Old 01-18-2015, 07:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
Royal Purple is a very good motor oil. I use it in all 3 of my vehicles and they still run like new. Engines are as quiet as new. That said, unless you going to drag race or going to be in extreme tempertures, not neeccessay to use Royal purple. If you are not going to keep your car 10 years or more, conventional oil at regular oil change intervals will be just fine and a lot cheper.
Old 01-19-2015, 09:09 PM
TL Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Amzoil for 20 years
Old 01-22-2015, 02:34 PM
Colorado Springs

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
I've used Royal Purple in my Prelude and 2010 TL SH-AWD. Both have had not had any problems nor decreases in fuel mileage. I do use a stock Honda/Acura oil filter in my TL, however.

One quick story to share, when I got done with my ~24,000 service in Virginia, I began driving to Tennessee and about 30 miles into my drive (and noticing a weird smoke/fog coming from the rear of my car), my oil pressure light came on. I pulled off on the highway immediately and turned the car off. After the tow truck dropped me and the car off at the dealership, it was found out that the dealership had improperly put on the oil filter and it blew the filter's seal while driving and emptied the engine of oil. The dealership did some various inspections on the internals of the engine, but declared there to be no internal damage. The mechanic said "It's probably because of that Royal Purple stuff you put in the car that it was able to take the punishment." I wasn't that dumb to fully buy it, but to this day (I'm at 88,000 miles), my car doesn't drink hardly any oil (or if it does, I add a half quart between oil changes). This is far different from those members who claim that their TL's are drinking oil at an unacceptable rate of 3 quarts or more in between each oil change.

Just food for thought.
Georgiey22 (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:31 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
^ Very interesting post prepreludesh. I remember your post regarding the incident you've mentioned above.

I'd used Royal Purple the first couple of oil changes, but switched to having the dealership change the oil once I noticed the engine burning oil slightly so that they'd have one less excuse in the event of any warranty claim. Mine burns about a quart between oil changes (~7,500 miles), so I've been sticking with the dealership for oil changes. Has anyone reported improvement in the 3.7L engine burning oil with either a thicker viscosity (5W-30) or switching to Royal Purple? I don't want to try either until I'm out of warranty @ 100k (extended warranty).
Old 01-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I use Royal purple motor oil and Royal Purple Max atf in my TL. I like the oil and will continue to use it until I get bored or want to switch it up. I haven't had any issues with it and honestly I don't think you will notice any performance improvement after the first week with any new premium synthetic oil.
Georgiey22 (01-24-2015)
Old 01-24-2015, 08:44 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by deuce415
I use Royal purple motor oil and Royal Purple Max atf in my TL. I like the oil and will continue to use it until I get bored or want to switch it up. I haven't had any issues with it and honestly I don't think you will notice any performance improvement after the first week with any new premium synthetic oil.
@Deuce415

How many miles have you put on the RP ATF? I just completed a drain and fill 200 miles ago with Honda ATF and have been ok with it thus far. Also what oil filter are you using?

Looks like you are in OC, I live in Redlands and am walking through Disneyland as I type this. Appreciate the info.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 159 Posts
@Deuce415

How many miles have you put on the RP ATF? I just completed a drain and fill 200 miles ago with Honda ATF and have been ok with it thus far. Also what oil filter are you using?

Looks like you are in OC, I live in Redlands and am walking through Disneyland as I type this. Appreciate the info.
No real reason to go crazy in the transmission IMHO.

I've got Honda MTF in my S2000's transmission and am putting down 350 WHP. It has held up just fine.

Stick with the Honda filters (A01, the Filtech) they work just fine.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
how can you tell whether the engine is burning the oil and it's low? do you check it regularly or the car would drive differently when the oil is low.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:36 PM
Instructor

i personally make a habit of checking my motor oil and ATF level one time per week in my vehicles. I learned the hard way. By the time you feel there is an issue with low motor oil it is likely too late. I had a car once that I rarely checked the oil and ended up throwing a rod because I wasn't checking the oil level frequently enough.

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
how can you tell whether the engine is burning the oil and it's low? do you check it regularly or the car would drive differently when the oil is low.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
You change oil between 4 and 5000 miles and keep an eye on your dipstick on a weekly bases. I believe Mobile 1 EP or even better Mobil 1 HM is a great solution. I share the same philosophy like you for 50 years and never had problems. I like Redline, hence if I change oil at 4000 miles and use Mobile 1 HM a Synthetic containing a higher amount of Zinc and Phosphorus for less than half the price of Redline; this should work even if you drive your car very spirited. And yes oil is cheap and engines are expensive. Btw. Never tried RP. Some say it's great others have another opinion about RP.
Keep-up the good work.

Last edited by mylove4cars; 01-28-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Georgiey22 (01-29-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 04:40 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
@Deuce415

Sorry, took a while for me to get back to you.

I DIY'd an oil change and ATF drain and fill at the end of September, and I've put about 2500 miles on it since then. Used Royal Purple 5w-20 and Royal Purple Max ATF. At that time, I remember noticing that the tranny shifted much more crisp after I switched it out, but that could be because of new ATF. In any event, this isn't the first time that I've used this brand of oil and ATF in my cars and I haven't had a single issue with it.

I use Bosch Distance Plus D3323 filters. First came across it at Walmart while I was buying my oil from there. It's my default now mostly because it is in the same aisle as the oil at Walmart. It also gets good reviews. I replace the filter every other oil change.

I didn't know where Redlands was, had to google map it. You are pretty far out there. I'm in the OC north Irvine area. I try to avoid Disneyland as much as possible.
Georgiey22 (01-29-2015)