Rest Shock Noise: Response From Acura Regional Representative

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:33 PM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 23 Posts
Rest Shock Noise: Response From Acura Regional Representative

Long story short, I’m on my second set of rear struts in my 2013 TL. Both sides are making noise again. Mind you, this set was replaced less than one year ago and less than 10K miles ago. Ray Laks Acura in Buffalo denied the warranty repair and said they would contact the regional manager to see if it could be good willed. Never heard back from Ray Laks (nice) so I called them today to find out the warranty repair was denied. This blows but whatever. So, I took it to my trusty local mechanic who inspected both sides. Neither shock is leaking and they both look like new. He played around with the shocks for awhile and, miraculously, identified the issue. Newsflash, the hardware on top of the shocks does not hold the shocks snug. He said I could try another set of shocks and recommmended a couple aftermarket brands or live with the noise. I decided to live with the noise for now. Anyone else just living with the noise? The dealer said “this is the first TL we’ve ever seen with rear shock issues.” Hum. Hard to believe. As the owner of a 2013 MDX, a couple Accords and Ridgelines in the past and two Odyssey minivans, this guy will be at the Lexus or BMW dealer when this car goes to the kids. Not just because of the shock problem, but Acura just seems to be missing the mark for my demographic (middle age guy looking for a larger mid size w/ 350+ HP, $50K-$60K, AWD sport sedan where I can row my own gears that’ll fit 2 kids and their gear in a pinch).
Old 04-17-2018, 08:02 PM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
No noise here in mine, so I don't think it's a design defect, but I've had cars with <100%-attached rear shocks and yeah, the noise'll drive you nuts.

Replace the rubber/plastic bits and run everything down tight maybe? Those could be worn out, but wouldn't necessarily be replaced when the shocks are.

I think Lexus, Mercedes and BMW have that market sewn up, honestly. I'll take my Really Nice Honda Accord Sport™ for <$40k instead, TYVM. ;-)

Last edited by dv-; 04-17-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:33 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
If by "row your own gears" you mean a MT transmission, good luck finding one at Lexus, MB and BMW. Of these 3, I think only BMW offers true MTs these days, but not sure they're offered on any AWD car, and in any event, good luck finding an MT BMW on a dealer's lot.

If you're also open to a DCT, your wish list seems to describe the RLX Sport Hybrid to a T. Have you driven one? Most owners are wildly happy with these sleeper cars (as to which Acura totally bungled the introduction in 2014). They are fast with torque vectoring AWD and have huge, nicely crafted interiors. One of the mags logged a 0-60 of 4.9, which is plenty fast for a large car in this price range.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I haven't had problems with my rear shocks. The passenger side front one started making some clunking noise, which I thought might be a control arm or something. After I replaced the fronts the noise went away. But that was at nearly 150K on the shocks.

I'm with you on Acura though. I really hope I find a model I like in a few years when I pass this one on. But as it stands, I'm not sure that will happen. If it does, it will likely only be if I decide to go with an SUV like an RDX or MDX rather than one of their sedans.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Oy - didn’t realize all the automakers were discontinuing the manual. What a shame. I can’t get a 6 cylinder Acura with a 6 speed stick but I can get a 4 cylinder Accord with one? Ug. Talk about misguided. The 5 series is gone. No Lexus GS. What’s a guy like me to to? Looks like maybe Audi might have a car to look at.

Ive thought about the RL, but just can’t get past the rear electric motors. But I’m the same guy that wanted the “old” 3.7 rather than the “new” direct injected 3.5 in the MDX. Call me old fashioned. Next thing you know I’ll be driving a Buick Roadmaster. Or maybe I could go full late mid life crisis and buy a WRX STi. That’d be great for business meetings.

Last edited by WNY PAT; 04-18-2018 at 06:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JM2010 SH-AWD (04-20-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I think Sedans in general are dying a slow death. I'm modding my TL a little bit to rekindle the flame, though I do absolutely love it in 6MT form with some light mods already. Hoping to drive it another 4-5 years and in that time, pick up a true sports car to have alongside the TL when I want to really have some fun. And even in that, I'm resigned to the fact it probably won't be a manual. Hoping for a PDK... though
Old 05-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Instructor

So the final message here is this: if you plan on putting a hitch for your bike rack on your TL or TLX, Acura will deny warranty claims. So your bike had better fit in the truck of get a roof top carrier. That’s how my story with Honda and Acura products ends. Off to Lexus, BMW or Audi.
Old 05-02-2018, 11:11 AM
dv-
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Your 2013 was still under warranty?
Old 05-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Instructor

Yes. It was CPO. Acura Care has replaced the shocks less than 10,000 miles ago. This would be the third set of shock going in. The first set was replaced before I purchased the car. The second less than a year ago, less than 10,000 miles ago. The hitch for bikes was put on last summer, after two sets had already been replaced. The car has 58,XXX miles. The hitch was the reason given for the denial. Other than the shocks, it’s been a good car. But now I’ve got such a bad taste in my mouth about the dealer and Acura Customer Relations, I’m just going to trade it in and pick up a new Audi or BMW. Life’s too short to be stressed about these little things. Honestly, these are the kinds of issues I’d expect with a BMW or Audi, not an Acura. I had a Benz E300 in the past and I can still remember the service manager’s name I saw him so much. Lol

Last edited by WNY PAT; 05-02-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
That's too bad. I've always had the feeling of being on my own when it comes to vehicles. Granted, I've only had a couple with warranties, and they were either limited or very short due to the mileage. Regardless, it's not a good when the dealer leaves you feeling like you're going to have to shell out big bucks to fix something that was likely a design flaw.

I'm with you on jumping ship, although it has more to do with Acura's current lineup than customer service. We'll see. Maybe I'll change my mind when I test drive the new TLX.
Old 05-03-2018, 11:29 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 153 Likes on 125 Posts
Originally Posted by WNY PAT
Yes. It was CPO. Acura Care has replaced the shocks less than 10,000 miles ago. This would be the third set of shock going in. The first set was replaced before I purchased the car. The second less than a year ago, less than 10,000 miles ago. The hitch for bikes was put on last summer, after two sets had already been replaced. The car has 58,XXX miles. The hitch was the reason given for the denial. Other than the shocks, it’s been a good car. But now I’ve got such a bad taste in my mouth about the dealer and Acura Customer Relations, I’m just going to trade it in and pick up a new Audi or BMW. Life’s too short to be stressed about these little things. Honestly, these are the kinds of issues I’d expect with a BMW or Audi, not an Acura. I had a Benz E300 in the past and I can still remember the service manager’s name I saw him so much. Lol
I feel you. We buy Acura partially because we don't want to deal with the service repair hassles, breakdowns, and low maintenance. But things are definitely shifting from what I've seen. Acuras are getting less reliable, parts break early, dealerships always want to upsell their $140 oil change. I mean if we have to deal with those things with our Acuras, we may as well buy German cars so we can enjoy their fun cars, the brand name, (initial) quality, look and feel, latest tech, etc. Are you with me?