Recommendation on brake pads and rotor adivce

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 01:07 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Recommendation on brake pads and rotor adivce

Hi, All
1. I am thinking doing the brake fluid flush by myself. Then have thought that anyway I need to take off tires. why do not replace brake pads also. from last inspection, front pads have 60% life. but I feel loose on brake pedal. Maybe change it.
My TL is 2012 FWD 32000 miles on it. Do you guys have recommendation on pads? which brand? I am driving gently, not slam on brake often. performance pads are not very needed. I am thinking durable pads maybe.. btw can I just replace pads without doing anything on rotors?

2. I never changed pads before, just went though some Youtube videos. I decide to do it myself because I found I have some freaking mind of feeling uncomfortable that others touch my car even mechanics. some of them are very aggressive and not gentle on doing the work on customer's car.
and had some experience before mechanic was not paying attention then mal-operated
Old 06-27-2016, 09:42 PM
Racer

no recommendation? guys?
Old 06-27-2016, 10:24 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
I was in the same boat a few months ago. After some research I went with Stoptech Sport Slotted rotors and Akebono ProACT Ultra-premium ceramic pads. Also, installed XLR8 performance stainless steel Brake Lines. Just like you I watched some great videos on youtube and did the installation myself, it wasn't hard at all. Just make sure to get some Sil-glyde from Napa or Amazon and service the caliper pins while you are there. All the installation+flush took me around 4 hours, it may take you less but I like to take my time and always double check my work. You will also be fine with regular not slotted nor drilled rotors, they look great but for the type of driving most of us do it is not worth the extra expense.
The following users liked this post:
hadokenuh (06-29-2016)
Old 06-30-2016, 03:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by LostProphet
I was in the same boat a few months ago. After some research I went with Stoptech Sport Slotted rotors and Akebono ProACT Ultra-premium ceramic pads. Also, installed XLR8 performance stainless steel Brake Lines. Just like you I watched some great videos on youtube and did the installation myself, it wasn't hard at all. Just make sure to get some Sil-glyde from Napa or Amazon and service the caliper pins while you are there. All the installation+flush took me around 4 hours, it may take you less but I like to take my time and always double check my work. You will also be fine with regular not slotted nor drilled rotors, they look great but for the type of driving most of us do it is not worth the extra expense.

Thanks for your advice.

I am thinking if I only replace pads not rotors, the new pads are working fine with old rotors? My cars has 31000+ miles. Rotors do not have streak feeling
Old 06-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lltfly
Thanks for your advice.

I am thinking if I only replace pads not rotors, the new pads are working fine with old rotors? My cars has 31000+ miles. Rotors do not have streak feeling
If you want to replace just the brake pads I still recommend the Akebono set, they leave no brake dust and they come with the metal brackets. Don't forget to service the caliper pins, it is very important on every brake job.
Old 07-01-2016, 01:52 AM
Pro

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Akebono Pro-Act performance pads were awesome with my old CL typeS. I put on set of those all wheels and I believe I used Centric Cryo-treated rotors. Never had any issue for 60k until we used it for a trade in.

I almost put on Stage 4 or 5? EBC Redstuff pads with the EBC USR Slotted Rotors however I was concerned by mixed reviews. Some people said there were awesome while said left too much dust etc etc so forth. I have a friend that love his Hawk brakepads however his judgement is mixed to say the least.

Last edited by Anicra; 07-01-2016 at 01:57 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
This topic has been covered multiple times. Search.