Quite the quandry- to buy 2013 TL SH-AWD or not?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 10:15 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quite the quandry- to buy 2013 TL SH-AWD or not?

So I am helping my daughter car shop. This car is at the top of her budget. But we found a really nice one owner 2013. The Carfax shows regular service done at the dealership. But even at 126k miles, no mention of the timing belt? Why would it not have been done, or am I missing something?

https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...0OKPHMtv4Bdrns
Old Today, 03:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see it on the carfax either. It's possible they could have done it at a mechanic's shop and just never uploaded the work done on the carfax report.
Old Today, 03:51 AM
Pro

Received 166 Likes on 138 Posts
Both of my current Acura's were also one owner vehicles when I purchased them. This vehicle that you linked is from the rust belt, so I would suggest you get it on a lift and inspect the undercarriage so there are no surprises. My TL's Carfax doesn't show that the timing belt was changed. I have access to an Acura Master Technician, and their expertise stated that the timing belt was changed at some point, when it was inspected. After purchasing three different TL SH-AWD's, and the ZDX, I've encountered some new aspects to inspect. You should inspect the following:

1) Does the engine burn oil? (Is there soot on the exhaust tip?)
2) Is there excessive rust on the undercarriage? (These cars don't typically rust, however, they can dependent on neglect in the rust belt areas.)
3) Check for rust inside of the trunk, underneath the spare tire.
4) Check if there is rust forming on the bottom of the doors, underneath the weatherstrip molding.
5) Is there a loud ticking upon cold start, and idle? (Camshaft pitting.)

I found the car listing by the VIN. I personally don't favor the white interior. The tires are a subpar brand. The pictures aren't the best, however, it seems that there's soot on the exhaust tip, so I'd wager it burns oil. It's not an issue, as long as oil level is checked frequently. If the undercarriage is clean, and the car drives as intended, then I'd recommend trying to get them down to $10,000 OTD. These cars are worth every penny at this price point.
The following users liked this post:
DanfromOhio (Today)
Old Today, 05:01 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I appreciate all of the info! So I guess we would need to factor a new timing belt in to the cost? I know it can't even be seen without removing the serpentine belt.
Old Today, 07:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 594 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by Ascension
I'd recommend trying to get them down to $10,000 OTD. These cars are worth every penny at this price point.
Funny, there was a clean title 2013 TL AWD w/108k at a local Copart auction the other day. Thinking it was nothing special, I bid up to $1.8k. It ended up selling for $2,050. With auction fees, etc. it would have been roughly $3k OTD.

Last edited by 619rcr; Today at 07:18 AM.