Questions before buying new 2010 TL

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
^^ Easy. Dial on the phone, hit transfer to move the call to your car. Works perfectly.
Or use the car's navi to find the resturant

I think the TL's phone system is fantastic..

I am still having problems with the music on my iphone tho, especially when I am listening to my ipod link, then I make a call through the handsfree lnk, then end a call. When the call ends, the music stops playing on the speakers. The car says it's playing and the music timer is still ticking like it's playing, but nothing it actually playing. If I disconnect the iphone from the car and then reconnect it, the music comes right back on. I don't get this.

Last edited by DWDYEM2001; 10-23-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, we got the car, and right when we were pulling off the lot my wife floored it . Definitely a great car so far (1 full day), but no rattles or annoying problems to mention. Car barely fits in my garage, and takes extreme care when fitting the mirrors through the garage opening.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:27 AM
Intermediate

congrats deathred...

Hope you got as good of a deal as I got.

I just got mine on Thursday and I love it.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:22 AM
Intermediate

Some pics of mine...

They really are sweet cars aren't they?

I wish I had a garage to park mine in...

Some accessories I am thinking of adding: remote starter, trunk drawer...

Old 10-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Congrats to both of you on your new cars. Don't forget the break-in period.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by DWDYEM2001
congrats deathred...

Hope you got as good of a deal as I got.

I just got mine on Thursday and I love it.
It was $37,664.84 after TTL & processing, $36,029 before those fees. The price was actually better than competitor dealers' prices after they dropped the processing fee. Hell of a deal I must say, and the car was never test driven.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats to both of you and welcome aboard!
Old 10-24-2010, 12:41 PM
2nd Gear

Sounds like a good deal.

I just bought a 2010 w/tech for $34.8 BEFORE TTL.

Great car!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Congrats to both of you on your new cars. Don't forget the break-in period.
Yea I know...It's really hard not to rev up the RPM's a little bit during the break in period as it's too damn tempting. Been pretty good with it so far. But, I am absolutley loving this car, even more thn my 05' TL. This is my first AWD car and I never realized what I was missing until now.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like driving my wife's 2010 TL (6-MT/tech/Sh-AWD).
It's pleasing on the twisties. A comparable Audi S4 comes in at a hair under $60,000.
My wife's roomy TL is maybe the best sports sedan out there for the money right now.
Old 10-31-2010, 02:02 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by CTsteve
I like driving my wife's 2010 TL (6-MT/tech/Sh-AWD).
It's pleasing on the twisties. A comparable Audi S4 comes in at a hair under $60,000.
My wife's roomy TL is maybe the best sports sedan out there for the money right now.
Yep, its a great value, especially with the lower prices on 2010's going into the new model year. BTW, my co-worker lives in Stamford, CT.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Advanced

i considered getting this car coming out of my 05 TL 6MT and decided against this car and picked up a G37S 6MT 2010.

I know some people on this thread bashed the electronics of the infiniti but its not true. the navi works just fine. Only problem with the nav is that the address can only be inputted into the nav when the car is stopped. The ELS surround system will be better in the TL but the G37S has the car beat in performance and styling.

It boils down to what you want. If you want a comfortable touring car with a decent punch when needed, go with the TL. If you want something quick, with almost equal levels of luxury with far better styling, get the G37S. I got mine out the door with taxes title and fees for a little over 40K.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 PM
Advanced

oh, and i don't miss my TL at all. Can't beat 5.2 seconds to 60.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:40 AM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Originally Posted by robxc80
i considered getting this car coming out of my 05 TL 6MT and decided against this car and picked up a G37S 6MT 2010.

I know some people on this thread bashed the electronics of the infiniti but its not true. the navi works just fine. Only problem with the nav is that the address can only be inputted into the nav when the car is stopped. The ELS surround system will be better in the TL but the G37S has the car beat in performance and styling.

It boils down to what you want. If you want a comfortable touring car with a decent punch when needed, go with the TL. If you want something quick, with almost equal levels of luxury with far better styling, get the G37S. I got mine out the door with taxes title and fees for a little over 40K.
I think a lot of what it boils down to is subjective, like the navi, stereo, and styling, but the feel and approach in each vehicle is different. The G is more sport oriented with firmer brake and steering feel, is lighter and better balanced, while the TL is more luxury oriented in the sense that the steering and brake feel are lighter and the interior more spacious, especially in width and in the back seats. Most people feel that the difference in ride quality reflects that as well but I wouldn't necessarily say the G is the better overall performer because of this.

Don't get me wrong, in most cases the G is faster, especially in the auto versions but the 6MT TL SH is just as capable as the G37S sedan in 0-60 and 1/4 mile categories while being down on power and a larger car, weighing 200 lbs more. More than one test has also made the case for the TL SH being better in handling and braking and the 6MT ran a 0-60 of 5.2 in a test as well and many are getting one right now between $36k-$38k just the same.

There is plenty to like in both cars and I am not trying to take anything away from the G as I am a big fan of it as well but it's not really fair to say it's a better performer or beats the TL in styling when that is not always the case.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:04 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
The G is so passe...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:28 PM
Advanced

i agree that its subjective and to each their own...but lets all be honest here.

tl shawd keeping up with the G? come on now...are you serious? two totally different cars but from a sportiness and power standpoint, the TL cannot keep up...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

G, as in general, mundane...zzzz, oh I feel asleep thinking abut the the G, so, boring anyone seen the artistically designed 4G lately? LOL
Old 11-02-2010, 12:23 AM
Drifting

i agree that its subjective and to each their own...but lets all be honest here.

tl shawd keeping up with the G? come on now...are you serious? two totally different cars but from a sportiness and power standpoint, the TL cannot keep up...
The majority of TL's cant but the SH, and 6MT especially, can. As much as I hate magazine comparos, especially the written parts and all the subjective scoring categories, their test results do at times provide some insight of how cars compare to one another.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/index.ph...door-firepower

Above, showing the TL 6MT's acceleration is as capable in 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile and how the SH outlaps both the 335i and G37S, losing only to the S4 because of the difference in power and acceleration, not necessarily handling.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews.../photo_13.html

This other shows you the SH generating more grip on 4 of 5 turns with the 5th being even and going through all but one of them at a faster mph when compared to the S4. It does finish the lap a fraction slower, but again, only because it loses out on the straights. In terms of just pure handling, it is the better (handling) car in this case and a beast in general when the SH system is used properly. If one doesn't know how to do so or just how the system functions in general, then that may not seem like it's the case.

Questioning the style is one thing, we are used to that and everyone has a right to their own opinion and no offense but it gets old and rather annoying how few bother to realize just how capable the car really is and can be.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-02-2010 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:34 AM
Advanced

in that comparo, the TL laps quicker than the G37 and the 335i because its awd. They wanted to use manuals in the comparo and the s5 and the TL only came in awd...

to the guy that said the g syle is mundane...what are you smoking? I was a HUGE Acura fan with a tsx and then an 05 tl next and the new 4g is soooooo ugly in my opinion that i couldn't stomach even considering buying the car.

facts are facts...tl, even the awd version, is not nearly as sporty as the G and it is FAR from being able to keep up with the 335. But i do concede that it has far more in the comfort and luxury dept.

Let the flaming begin.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Advanced

oh, i forgot to mention, if they want something a little more "fair", they would do a comparo with awd version for all 4 models...and in automatic since thats the only way to make the drivetrains match up.
Old 11-02-2010, 12:52 AM
Drifting

in that comparo, the TL laps quicker than the G37 and the 335i because its awd. They wanted to use manuals in the comparo and the s5 and the TL only came in awd...

to the guy that said the g syle is mundane...what are you smoking? I was a HUGE Acura fan with a tsx and then an 05 tl next and the new 4g is soooooo ugly in my opinion that i couldn't stomach even considering buying the car.

facts are facts...tl, even the awd version, is not nearly as sporty as the G and it is FAR from being able to keep up with the 335. But i do concede that it has far more in the comfort and luxury dept.

Let the flaming begin.
I highly doubt the AWD versions are better track or lap cars. If I am not mistaken some of their AWD versions don't come with sport packages or suspensions and high performance tire and rims either. Here's an older pre production test that included all versions of the major competiton.

http://www.insideline.com/acura/tl/2...rst-drive.html

But I do agree the G is sportier but depending on the TL model, not necessarily a better overall performer and I do believe the 6MT can "keep up" with a 335 in almost all performance categories and especially if the 3 is also an AWD version. That's not bad considering the TL is more in line with the 5 series and Infiniti M when it comes to size and weight.

Again, I am a fan of both and I question some styling cues of the TL but also curious about the rather tall but narrow G sedan. The TL has the large grill and beak form certain angles but the G looks like a top hat from the rear and a far but still two of the best values in luxury segments IMO.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-02-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:14 AM
Advanced

tl is not the category with 5 series, m37, a6, E class, etc...the rl is...even the rl is inferior to the tl.

acura tried to develop the TL to straddle the line between 3 series and 5 series but that isn't what you get.

tl competes with:

-3 Series
-A4
-G37
-Lexus IS

They made the car larger than others in its class but i highly doubt anyone shopping in the 5 series range would even consider the TL.

quite honestly, though my post may dictate otherwise, i think the TL is a nice car. I'm more into sportiness and i think the G has better styling and much more punch...

my 2 cents. I will leave you all alone now.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:59 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

tl is not the category with 5 series, m37, a6, E class, etc...the rl is...even the rl is inferior to the tl.

acura tried to develop the TL to straddle the line between 3 series and 5 series but that isn't what you get.

tl competes with:

-3 Series
-A4
-G37
-Lexus IS

They made the car larger than others in its class but i highly doubt anyone shopping in the 5 series range would even consider the TL.

quite honestly, though my post may dictate otherwise, i think the TL is a nice car. I'm more into sportiness and i think the G has better styling and much more punch...

Hmmm, because the so call prognosticators (MT, C&D and such) haven't caught on doesn't mean that the TL should be compared to the 3 series and such. The TSX is more aligned with that end of the group. Hell it took a while before rock and roll was even called rock and roll.
I'm all about sportiness, considered the Camaro SS as my target car...then put a few dollars down on a 2010 Nissan 370Z Nissmo....a few months later I'm driving a TL SH-AWD, why because it IMO is a better all around better vehicle than the G. The 5 series, is to me is just now finding it's position in the BMW lineup. I have 2 people in my area who shopped the 5 series and are driving a TL's. One just returned from Germany. So views and opinions vary.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Drifting

I like the G 6MT and perhaps would have bought one had I not liked the TL more for a number of reasons (and had any Infiniti dealer near me shown the slightest interest in getting me a 6MT), but have you done any reading on this?

The cars are a hair's breadth apart in virtually any performance category when tested head to head. So yes, I am serious. See R&T comparo; C&D tests; Automobilie magazine. On a road course, the TL will dust the G in lap times, head to head.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
The majority of TL's cant but the SH, and 6MT especially, can. As much as I hate magazine comparos, especially the written parts and all the subjective scoring categories, their test results do at times provide some insight of how cars compare to one another.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/index.ph...door-firepower

Above, showing the TL 6MT's acceleration is as capable in 0-60 and through the 1/4 mile and how the SH outlaps both the 335i and G37S, losing only to the S4 because of the difference in power and acceleration, not necessarily handling.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews.../photo_13.html

This other shows you the SH generating more grip on 4 of 5 turns with the 5th being even and going through all but one of them at a faster mph when compared to the S4. It does finish the lap a fraction slower, but again, only because it loses out on the straights. In terms of just pure handling, it is the better (handling) car in this case and a beast in general when the SH system is used properly. If one doesn't know how to do so or just how the system functions in general, then that may not seem like it's the case.

Questioning the style is one thing, we are used to that and everyone has a right to their own opinion and no offense but it gets old and rather annoying how few bother to realize just how capable the car really is and can be.
...oh I loathe the major pubs...so commercially biased
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I just read another crappy review from C/D. (TSX) They did however place the car 2nd instead of dead last as in the past. "and you find yourself piloting a car that “doesn’t have much ‘wow’ to it." This compared to a Buick regal. I'll give them the CC. It's cool even thought it is a poor mans CLS. (40k vs 73.5k) It was still slower than the TSX.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Let the flaming begin.
I don't smoke. And when I did it was a rather potent blend. The G is feminine and dated. Gone are the days of the jellybean, or in this case worn bar of soap.

You have your view and stop being so darn testy, stoppit, just stoppit. LOL
Old 11-02-2010, 02:36 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
I just read another crappy review from C/D. (TSX) They did however place the car 2nd instead of dead last as in the past. "and you find yourself piloting a car that “doesn’t have much ‘wow’ to it." This compared to a Buick regal. I'll give them the CC. It's cool even thought it is a poor mans CLS. (40k vs 73.5k) It was still slower than the TSX.

C/D...crumble the pages up a few times and in crunch time it makes pretty good toilet paper.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Drifting

tl competes with:

-3 Series
-A4
-G37
-Lexus IS

I don't know, I think Acura did develop a car that joins two segments well and I did cross shop a previous gen 5 series because it was the only other large mid sized sedan that also came with AWD and a 6MT combo.

I admit, I really like the new 5 but now that it does not come with an AWD and 6MT combo any longer, I don't think I can consider it next time around. Combine that with the fact that the 528 is no longer available with AWD either and I think a lot of people will be forced to look elsewhere including the cheaper alternative TL.

There are plenty of reasons to like a G over a TL and vice versa, I just think that both cars deserve all the credit that their due despite what some think or assume.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-02-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Im just curious, prior to so many of you guys buying 6mt TL's since you needed manual transmission with AWD, which cars did you guys own?

Since it's so difficult to find a manual stick shift luxury cars with awd from what I see on these forums, I'm just wondering.

Last edited by jasonwdp10; 11-02-2010 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 04:33 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
congratz! ... is that a legend i see parked next to it? ... how was ur experience with pohanka? i have had mixed experiences with them in the past
Old 11-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Im just curious, prior to so many of you guys buying 6mt TL's since you needed manual transmission with AWD, which cars did you guys own?

Since it's so difficult to find a manual stick shift luxury cars with awd from what I see on these forums, I'm just wondering.
My case is pretty self explanatory from my sig but I have always had FWD and manual cars or sedans before. I won't bother with RWD and was always open to AWD for the weather we get up here and favor a luxury or premium vehicle so Subaru and the like were never that appealing.

The 3 series and A4 were always solid AWD 6MT options but I never liked the price tags since I don't like to lease and that they were generally too small a car, especially the previous gens. The 528xi and 530xi were also options but the combination of size, value, reliability, resale, performance and standard features were and are more appealing to me than just having AWD, as FWD was always adequate enough in the past. For those reasons my last two cars specifically were 3G TL's again because of the combo of larger size and capacity, acceleration, 6MT, FWD, value and all that other good stuff.

The problem I had always found was that I wished the TL was a little more capable both dynamically for handling and also for poor weather conditions. That more recently brought me to the TL SH or 535xi 6MT, again because of the need for a larger luxury sedan, with 6MT and preferably AWD or at least FWD but that type of V6 performance FWD 6MT luxury sedan like the 3G offered, no longer really exists.

Admittingly, the 5 was an older model at that point and more money than I really wanted to spend so I didn't give it 100% consideration, more like 90%, but I would have leased the 5 vs finance the TL so the monthly cost was nearly the same, it was more that it was getting replaced by a new model soon. Ultimately I went with what already worked for me in Acura again with the more favorable core values and attributes for me and financing the TL should again prove to be the better investment. Now it seems you can't get a 6MT AWD luxury sedan as large as the TL anywhere else.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 11-02-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 05:54 PM
I feel the need...

Received 515 Likes on 363 Posts

Need is subjective. Want is the key word. I wanted a 6MT and there are very few options in this space. No regrets here. Do I love the power plenum?
But you can't beat the combination of value, performance, residuals, safety and low cost of ownership. I just wish it came in a nimbler package.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:20 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Definitely garee, it's VERY difficult to find an AWD manual stick shift vehicle.

I came from a 1G TSX to IS 250 AWD (briefly, b/c I the car became so dam uncomfortable I traded it in 4000miles).

I have to admit, I miss my 1G TSX (unbeatable reliability, nimbleness, 30+ mpg w/regular fuel, touch screen nav). After brutal winters of heavy rain and snow on hills in Seattle, I decided I wanted AWD instead of borrowing my wife's RX.

Prior to my TSX I had a 5spd manual 91 Integra coupe. That car was a blast to drive and slick gear shifter, but maintenance costs were exceeding the value of the car, so I sold it.
Old 11-02-2010, 07:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by VQPower37
congratz! ... is that a legend i see parked next to it? ... how was ur experience with pohanka? i have had mixed experiences with them in the past

Yep, that's my 92 sedan. Great car. Only reason I took it off the road is because I didn't want to risk destroying it before I could restore it.

Pohanka has been decent. When I bought the civic the salesman lied about the arrival time, but fortunately the salesman that screwed me over didn't get a commission. They gave me the best price I could find within driving distance on both cars. The Finance and Insurance guy at the Acura Dealership was the only bump this time, as he was rude when I basically told him I didn't want any of the crap he was pedaling.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:01 PM
Drifting

I had a pristine '92 Legend Coupe (see pix in my Garage) with a 5MT.

For my next car I wanted a MT, not necessarily AWD, until I drove the AWD TL. Once I realized what the SH-AWD system could do for the dynamics of the car, it was an easy decision.

BTW, we owned 90 and 91 Integras with MT (the 90 was totaled when it was 4 months old). Terriffic car and fun to drive - wish Acura still built something like it. Small, fun, and high build quality. And the engine sounded great!