Questions about 2009+ base model

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 04:55 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about 2009+ base model

Greetings!! I'm coming to you from the Accord forums. Let me get into a little background info about why I'm here.

As it stands right now many of you know that the AT versions of the Accord are hamstrung by Honda's VCM. I started a quest to find out what I could do to rid my car of this annoying feature. I started to look into PCM flashes (none), looked into swapping in a 3.5L MT into my vehicle (Honda got wise and decided to make 2 seperate firewalls, 1 for the AT, 1 for MT) but since I can't add the clutch pedal to my car thats a no go, then after some searching I found out that the Accord AT Z2 engine shares most its parts with the 3.5L TL. The parts it doesn't share could be found on the MT Z3 version of the Accord. I moved onto the tranny and beside only a few parts (and as it stands I mean a few.. like 3-4 small sub $50 parts) it is identical. So I decided to see if I could gather the needed information to begin this undertaking on what would be needed to pretty much add/swap some parts to make my vehicle behave like a TL.

Coming from the Civic arena I knew for the most part a few things would have to be done. When I owned a 7th gen there were countless threads about swapping engines. For the most part you'd have to give up PS, AC, etc since they were 2 totally different engines. Since these are technally the same engines/tranny's there doesn't seem to be much giving up. If anything I think the Accord could benefit from the parts your Acura's have.

This leads me to a question concerning the PS. On the Accord the PS is handled the old fashioned way with fluid and a pump. You guys have the electric version. Upon looking at the PS main components at first glance the electric rack would match right up with the steering column in the Accord except for a few minor differences. It appears your version is bolted directly (by the use of ears and bushings) to what I believe to be the subframe/engine cradle. I am unable to confirm this due to the fact that around my area there are no/ZERO wrecked TL's to compare it to. So I come here asking questions to those that know the car best... you guys. Where does the PS gearbox attach to?? Is it a seperate bracket on the Engine/Tranny, or does it attach directly to the subframe??

Any and ALL help is greatly appreciated!!