A question about 4G styling (no not that again)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:16 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A question about 4G styling (no not that again)

I got a 2014 tech and love driving it everyday. but i want to know more about some of the less discussed style changes to the MMC. In particular, the horizontal lines that were added to both the front and rear of the refresh. do they serve a purpose (like improve aerodynamics) or are they just a visual trick to make the car look lower (or something similar)? and what about the changes to the headlights. are they just cheaper parts or do the darker lights make it more sporty, as acura designers claim?

and what about the arch over the front wheel? i know it was unchanged from the original design, but does it really cut down on drag? i see lots of high end cars but havent noticed it on many other cars. do you know about any other cars that have it? thanks.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
I didn't think that any of the changes were really "functional" but simply aesthetic due to some criticism over the initial design. I just noticed the difference to the headlights when I googled both versions. I'm betting the darker ones in the MMC are just for sportiness. They do look better IMO. It looks like some with the 09-11 do the 2012+ swap based on a google search since the darker ones might look a bit better to most. I'm not sure about the horizontal line you're talking about though. Maybe you could attach a picture of that. The arch just seems to be aesthetic as well. I like it, but I doubt it makes any significant difference in aerodynamics.

The funny thing is that many prefer the TL before the MMC. It looks more aggressive. I personally see the draw for the rear bumper. I'll admit that the rear of the MMC looks a bit plain. The new beak is certainly better though. My main draw was the change from the 5-speed to a 6-speed auto.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:23 AM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
expounding on losiglow with the headlights; if you take anything and you throw in some black and dark greys, it automatically looks more "sporty" as opposed to the bling from chrome