Potential newbie

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Potential newbie

I made the mistake of straying from the Acura family, I had a 2005 mdx and a 2007 mdx, I am awaiting the repurchase of my lemoned Audi q5, I am seriously considering a Sh Awd, I have a couple of questions:

1. How is the comfort for long trips , is there enough room in
back ?
2. How is the stability at highway speeds 75-80 ?
3. Has anybody gone from an suv to a car, could you get
used to sitting lower and have you regretted it?
4. I want something different as I have had 2 Mdx allready
I am looking at white exterior w/ black interior
5. Also how is the handling in general ?
Old 02-04-2010, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Welcome back!

my best advice would be to test drive the TL
Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome to Azine!

1. Haven't been on any real long trips in excess of a couple of hours. I did quite a few cross country trips in my '06 TL and I found that it was very comfortable. I find the 2010 TL SH-AWD is more comfortable and am looking forward to the first 1000 mile road trip this spring.

2. Stability seems quite good and planted at highways speeds. Colorado speed limit is 75 mph, so I regularly travel at those speeds and above commuting.

3. No SUV's in my car history, so can't really compare first hand.

5. The SH-AWD has been extremely enjoyable to drive. I find it's very confidence inspiring. Great handling in the dry and wet/snow, and just awesome on the twisty mountain roads out here!

Just my . If you haven't already, do make a point to go and test drive the SH-AWD version and that'll probably make up your mind on the spot.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:00 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ductman
I made the mistake of straying from the Acura family, I had a 2005 mdx and a 2007 mdx, I am awaiting the repurchase of my lemoned Audi q5, I am seriously considering a Sh Awd, I have a couple of questions:

1. How is the comfort for long trips , is there enough room in back ?
2. How is the stability at highway speeds 75-80 ?
3. Has anybody gone from an suv to a car, could you get
used to sitting lower and have you regretted it?
4. I want something different as I have had 2 Mdx allready
I am looking at white exterior w/ black interior
5. Also how is the handling in general ?
1. My daily driver is an SUV (Toyota 4Runner). The TL is my wifes car and I have not been on any long trips, but I can I have sat in the back of the car and there is plenty of room back there. My brother-in-law has a G35X and he thinks it's way to small & very uncomfortable.
2. I've had the car up to those speeds and it appears to be very stable and controlled.
3. I love driving my wifes car. I would take it anytime over my SUV, but I like having a car & a truck.
4. My wife loves the color white. Her first Maxima was white with black interior but the second Maxima was Silver with black interior and she just didn't like it. Her new TL is now white with the ebony interior and she's happy again and the car looks fabulous. I like it because it's a pearl white.
5. Car is very responsive when you steer at least with the SH-AWD model. And the car has a better turning radius than our 2003 Maxima.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts
mines not a shawd but the interiors the same so yea....ive taken the tl to LA which is 350 miles from me. with 4 people in the car it is very comfortable plenty of leg room in the back. and the seat are comfortable too.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
1. I recently (Christmas) drove from MA to MI and back (about 2k miles). The car was incredibly comfortable, not as much fatigue that you sometimes experience on long drives. It also has tons of space in the back. I'm 6'2" and my seat is usually very far back, in my 07 TL-S people never wanted to sit behind me, now no one complians.
2. The steering (I think it's electric controlled or something?) seems a little sensitive over all, but at those speeds it's rock solid. It's very easy to get up to 90 and not realize it.
3. I don't like SUV's so I can't discuss.
4. Great color choice.
5. Handling is like it's on rails... Dry and wet (and super snowy) all feel like I'm in total control. When you go and test drive it, whip around some corners doing 30+, it will blow your mind.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You need to take an extended test drive in a TL to really see for yourself. That being said, the TL is a great all-around sedan...a good mix of sport, luxury, and practicality....esp. in SH-AWD trim. I've owned a mixture of sports sedans and SUV's all my life. My most recent vehicles have been a Caddy Escalade, a BMW 545i and a Porsche Cayenne S. Going from a SUV to a car takes some time to getting used to but it's no big deal. While the TL is not as agile or as stable at high speeds as a BMW, it's still quite competent and more than meets the needs of the average driver.