Is it possible to lease a USED 4G TL?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 01:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it possible to lease a USED 4G TL?

My MB C300 AWD comes off lease in August. I told the wife I'd downgrade with my next lease to save about $200 a month.

Replacements I'm considering: Acura TSX, which you can currently get with $0 down at $350/month, non-Tech package.

VW CC, but doubtful, as with the 2012 you have to buy an expensive option package just to get the garage door opener (a pet peeve of mine).

Kia Optima EX. Very nice car, lots of features for the price. Possibly my front-runner, but bland to drive.

Buick Verona. Tried the Regal, but didn't like it. The Verona truly drives like a luxury car, but it may be a bit too small.

Back to the TL. Does anyone know if the Acura dealers will lease a CPO TL, 2009-2010? Not sure that would be a viable option, because the TL's seem to hold their value very well. Hard to find a good one for <$30K.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
I Dont think you can lease used cars..
Old 02-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
Buying a new one at 0% vs Buying a CPO @ 3% right now pretty much; or handing them 4k and leasing a new one for $500 a month. Not aware of any USED leasing.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
It's an option, IF you find a dealer willing to do it.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
It's an option, IF you find a dealer willing to do it.
rarely they do it..

believe me i tried...

there was a used SH-AWD on the lot when i bought my car with 3k miles on it.. and was considered used.. i was considering it.. but didnt get it..
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Fawkatitle.com

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
No because of warranty issues and residual at the end of it all...
Old 02-21-2012, 04:00 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
rarely they do it..

believe me i tried...

there was a used SH-AWD on the lot when i bought my car with 3k miles on it.. and was considered used.. i was considering it.. but didnt get it..
Yeah, I'm not too well versed in how leases work but apparently they make a lot less when leasing out a used car compared to new. I'm sure if they were desperate enough they would consider it.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Yeah, I'm not too well versed in how leases work but apparently they make a lot less when leasing out a used car compared to new. I'm sure if they were desperate enough they would consider it.

desperate enough to even lose money? i dont think so..

dealerships are very good at what they do.. so dont doubt them when it comes to money.

they do not gain anything unless the person that is leasing the car is a complete dumbass but again, you wouldnt be a dumbass if you were aiming to lease a used car.. you will try to get the best value for it.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
desperate enough to even lose money? i dont think so..

dealerships are very good at what they do.. so dont doubt them when it comes to money.

they do not gain anything unless the person that is leasing the car is a complete dumbass but again, you wouldnt be a dumbass if you were aiming to lease a used car.. you will try to get the best value for it.
lol...well said. Lots of dumb people out there trying to buy 'luxury' cars
Old 02-21-2012, 05:55 PM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by blackbr
My MB C300 AWD comes off lease in August. I told the wife I'd downgrade with my next lease to save about $200 a month.

Replacements I'm considering: Acura TSX, which you can currently get with $0 down at $350/month, non-Tech package.

VW CC, but doubtful, as with the 2012 you have to buy an expensive option package just to get the garage door opener (a pet peeve of mine).

Kia Optima EX. Very nice car, lots of features for the price. Possibly my front-runner, but bland to drive.

Buick Verona. Tried the Regal, but didn't like it. The Verona truly drives like a luxury car, but it may be a bit too small.

Back to the TL. Does anyone know if the Acura dealers will lease a CPO TL, 2009-2010? Not sure that would be a viable option, because the TL's seem to hold their value very well. Hard to find a good one for <$30K.
The Kia Optima SX is everything but bland to drive from what I hear (and it is terrific to look at)....2.0 DI twin scroll turbocharged engine, 274 HP, 6 speed auto with paddle shifters....you can get one loaded to the hilt for less than 30K....
Old 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
For all of the reasons posted (and perhaps a few others) no, you cannot ordinarily lease any used car. That's not how leases work.

Also, you do not lease from the dealer. You lease from the leasing company who buys the (always new) vehicle from the dealer and to whom you make your lease payments.

At the start of a lease, a new vehicle has a known, fixed value, i.e., the MSRP. By comparison, used (even CPO) vehicles have variable values based upon age, condition, mileage and even the region of the country where they are located.

Most leases are also for a period of typically 39 months, which burns-up the original bumper-to-bumper warranty. Leasing companies have no interest in fighting with you to force you to have out-of-warranty repairs made at your expense to a vehicle that you do not (and will not) own. However, on a new vehicle lease the vehicle is expected to have a certain "residual value" at the end of the lease and the leasing documents that you sign obligate you to returning the vehicle in said condition, or better. That said, they can penalize you for excess mileage or excessive wear & tear as well as charge you at the end of the lease for any "diminished value" as a result of a wreck (or even a vehicle break-in) even if you've had the vehicle repaired.

They would have too little leverage with a used vehicle lease. First of all you have the variable of initial value & then the even bigger variable of residual value. It's hard to get a guaranteed fixed amount out of a 6 or 7 yr-old vehicle (i.e., the age it would typically be at the end of the second lease cycle.

Where you can sometimes get a heck of a good deal is at the Auto Auction if you have a tax id number & are authorized to buy there. Lease Returns almost always wind up at the auction. The only way they end up back at the dealership is if the dealer's used car manager goes to the auction looking to purchase some inventory. Auto auctions sometimes have the stigma of selling junk that nobody wants. Not true! The clunkers & beaters never make it to the real auctions. Those wind up at those pseudo-auctions that advertise they are open to the public.

A true auto auction is a huge operation and wholesale-only, intended to attract dealers and it's extremely rare for them to be open to the public.

The decent vehicles (i.e., lease returns) sell cheap at the auction because of several reasons, chief among which is that the vehicle is almost always out of warranty and offered "as-is", even if it's semi-new and even if it has low mileage. Availing yourself of any remaining warranty coverage requires that the buyer contact the manufacturer directly to have whatever remaining warranty transferred. "As-is" also means what is there is there and what isn't there, isn't. For example, a missing $200 key fob or a missing spare tire, or a missing jack, missing owner's manual(s), any damage, etc.

Last edited by Cap'n Preshoot; 02-21-2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Cap'n Preshoot
Where you can sometimes get a heck of a good deal is at the Auto Auction if you have a tax id number & are authorized to buy there. Lease Returns almost always wind up at the auction. The only way they end up back at the dealership is if the dealer's used car manager goes to the auction looking to purchase some inventory. Auto auctions sometimes have the stigma of selling junk that nobody wants. Not true! The clunkers & beaters never make it to the real auctions. Those wind up at those pseudo-auctions that advertise they are open to the public.

A true auto auction is a huge operation and wholesale-only, intended to attract dealers and it's extremely rare for them to be open to the public.

The decent vehicles (i.e., lease returns) sell cheap at the auction because of several reasons, chief among which is that the vehicle is almost always out of warranty and offered "as-is", even if it's semi-new and even if it has low mileage. Availing yourself of any remaining warranty coverage requires that the buyer contact the manufacturer directly to have whatever remaining warranty transferred. "As-is" also means what is there is there and what isn't there, isn't. For example, a missing $200 key fob or a missing spare tire, or a missing jack, missing owner's manual(s), any damage, etc.

Auto auctions (esp. Manhiem) are where it's at if you are looking to get a great deal on a car. You can save yourself at least $3k over buying at a dealer, or more depending on what you are interested in purchasing. Get yourself a good broker though - someone who is Type A and pays attn to the little details. And the more specific you can be in what you want, the better. Don't leave color (interior/exterior), features, or year up to them - they need direction to find what you really want.

Good luck getting a loaded TL at auction though - they all get snapped up by the Russians who ship 'em over and make a mint. I tried for 4 months, and "lost" a few really good cars. Eventually found what I wanted at a dealership (who ended up sucking), but I got what I wanted and was able to negotiate a really good price.

Good luck!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:48 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
I have access to an authorized auction dealer but the prices aren't as marked down as they use to be 5-10yrs ago. And the only cars you can really get a good deal on are 60k+ that don't hold value well. Getting a good price on a Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus/Infiniti/M badge, is non existent.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great information, everyone, thanks for replying!

I had a 2G and a 3G TL... looks like I may end up skipping the 4G. If I was shopping for a car in the mid-$40's the SH-AWD Tech is the one I'd buy.