View Poll Results: Which model did you purchase/lease?
TL
7.35%
TL SH-AWD
5.88%
TL with Technology Package
26.47%
TL with Technology Package and 18-inch wheels
1.47%
TL SH-AWD with Technology Package
26.47%
TL SH-AWD 6-Speed Manual with Technology Package
20.59%
TL SH-AWD with Technology Package and High Performance Tires
7.35%
TL SH-AWD 6-Speed Manual with Technology Package and High Performance Tires
4.41%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Which model did you purchase and why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question POLL: Which model did you purchase and why?

I know there is a post where you get to post up what you bought, how much you paid, but it's really hard to count the number and see which is more popular on this board.

So, which model did you purchase and why? What was is that compelled you to that model instead of the others? What was your logic behind purchasing this model?

This is a poll, so please vote!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I bought the SH-AWD with tech. I wanted the AWD because I didn't like the handling in snow of the FWD 3rd gen TL that I had. Plus, I wanted the 305 HP! The tech package is a must to me, those without it are missing out on a lot!
Old 05-15-2010, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
SH AWD with the 6MT. Loved the handling of the SH AWD (astounding, really) and HAD to have the 6MT.

Coming up on 3 months of ownership and absolutely love this car!
Old 05-15-2010, 07:23 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I first bought a SHAWD Tech. I liked the handling, the steering feel, the steering wheel, the seats, contrast stitching, engine, exhaust note. But all of that couldn't save it from the overly firm feel and noise from the suspension and the poor gas mileage (i got 14.5mpg avg over 3 months). It's too noisy for a luxury car. Not noisy all the time of course, it just has problems on broken pavement/bad roads, and gets really annoying. (to the point where i sometimes need to stop talking to the passenger until the road becomes smooth again)

The SHAWD was totaled in an accident only 3 months after i bought it.

I now have a Base Tech. It still handles well, accelerates the same (provides better throttle feel/thrust), is much quieter in all situations, and bumps aren't felt as much. Overall a much quieter, more comfortable car, while still providing good handling. Gas mileage now is at a solid 17mpg+. Saved $4k too.

I must say that the Tech package makes this car. Everyone that has sat inside has complimented the soft milano leather, the sound system, usb plug, reverse camera, push start button, navigation, and keyless access system. Without those features u should just get an accord.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:05 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Tech was simply a given....it's hard to imagine anyone getting this car without it. I opted for the FWD car because I wanted a firm, but not punishing suspension. The AWD car rode like a mack truck and there's no way I could have lived with that as a daily driver.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I got the Base FWD TL. My reasoning was that I wanted a Acura sedan with a V6.
Since the base has a pretty decent sound system with a subwoofer, I figured that all I was really giving up was the navigation system.

I also have a MDX tech, and so I don't think the navigation system is that easy to use, compared to Garmin. I really do love the HDD feature.

I would have liked AWD but in Canada that is almost $50k.Crazy. FWD is better then a RWD only car for me personally.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:51 AM
Pro

Received 181 Likes on 73 Posts
Well....I had an '05 TL that I really enjoyed. Decided to go the BMW route and traded it for an '07 330i. Again, nice car. But like others have noted, it really was cramped coming from the TL.

In '08 my dealer called me up (knowing I really liked the previous TL since the BMW dealership I traded it to, sold it to my Acura dealer). The salesman asked what issue I had with the TL since I traded it. I really didn't have any issues aside from the torque steer and squirrely handling in the snow.

He said he had 3-4 new TL Type-S that I should come drive. Couple of weeks later, I took him up on his offer. Again, really nice cars. While Acura did make strides in calming the torque steer, it was still very noticeable.

Fast forward.....the '09 TLs were announced and my dealer had a private showing of it for all of their former TL customers. Very nice affair...band, food, wine, the works. At that showing, they had about 6 '09 TLs (which is the first time I saw the redesign in person). I liked it immediately (unlike many). They gave short test drives (they were all base Tech models as the SH AWD wasn't being delivered yet) and I could tell immediately the improvements Acura had made, in power, handling, and upgraded materials.

They actually sold every TL they had in stock from the unveiling within 48 hours.

When they got the SH AWD in, again my salesperson gave me a jingle to come in a test drive one. I took him up on it. And, considering the test drive of the base TL, the SH AWD elevated the TL to even a higher level. I was smitten. The seats fit me like a glove, just the right amount of bolstering, very nice leather, all the controls felt good. The Tech package in the 4G was worlds better than those of my previous '05 TL (again with NAV, etc).

At that point, the 2010s started rolling in. Once I decided I was going to move away from the 330i, I went to the BMW dealership for a test drive of a 335i. It is a great car. The killer was the ~$10k price difference between the SH AWD Tech and the 335i, equipped like for like. I also reminded myself that the main reason I didn't like the 330i was because it was cramped. That hadn't changed with the 335i.

I expanded my search to a Benz C300 4 matic. Again, cramped and it wasn't even a contest comparing it to the SH AWD.

Test drove an Audi A4. I know people love their interiors. But, I think with their new versions, the A4 interior isn't nearly as nice as their previous versions. Plus, the finishing touches on the SH AWD were much nicer than the A4 (just as an example, look at the exterior door handles and the lack of little things like cup holder cover in the TL vs the A4). The SH AWD was just nicer in execution. I still couldn't wrap my arms around the "iffy" reliability question with the Audi, either.

Finally, went and test drove the G37x....several times. I know people like the power of the 3.7L motor, but man is it coarse sounding compared to the TL's 3.5/3.7. There's just something about the G's 7 speed tranny that just didn't feel right. It always seemed to be hunting for the right gear. EVery test drive, I found it always seemed to be caught flat footed. It was almost like it took a nap when I needed it to scoot. I still liked the TL's interior better, too. Nice car, though.

In the end, I kept coming back to the SH AWD as the car I wanted. Now, I've got one.

Last edited by graphicguy; 05-16-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 PM
Racer

FWD Tech because I didnt feel the AWD was worth the extra $4-5K at the time.

Was really happy with it in the winter so I have no regrets except for the nice wheels that come with the AWD, but I put on aftermarket 20's anyway.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:45 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Hit a grand slam Bronx Bomber's style when I picked up my 2009 TL SH-AWD Tech Pkg w/HPT. Had everything I wanted and then some extras. Test drove several cars over several months and all things considered the Acura won out.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:33 PM
2015 TLX SH-AWD Elite BWP

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts
I went for SH-AWD as here in Quebec is a must during the winter.
I had a 2007 TL and when the FWD came out first at the dealer I wasn't even interested to try it. Later while I was at service with 2007 my salesmen make me try the SH-AWD and I was hooked by the handling of car. Two months later I got my TL and I'm a happy camper since..
Old 05-16-2010, 11:17 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
SH AWD with the 6MT. Loved the handling of the SH AWD (astounding, really) and HAD to have the 6MT.

Coming up on 3 months of ownership and absolutely love this car!
+1

Why type when these are my exact thoughts
Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Wow, I made this thread 2 days ago and I just leased a Black/Ebony 2010 TL with Tech!
Old 05-17-2010, 08:37 PM
1st Gear

Purchase an regular model with Tech package because without it seems like buying a car shell and no emotion attached.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Grandpa

Received 2,609 Likes on 1,475 Posts
13000 miles on my 2010 now, and not a moment of regret.

It's an absolutely tremendous general purpose vehicle for enthusiasts, and I cannot understand why they have such a hard time getting the point across.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
I chose mine because I love the Acura reliability, as well as how they bundle everything into one package (tech package, etc). I've been wanting to get back into an MT car since my friend tried to teach me over 15 years ago. Read reviews that the 6MT is the smoothest/best shifter Acura has ever made, and I made the plunge. I actually test drove the Auto, which I loved except for the fact you couldn't sequential shift on the shifter (paddles only). The MT solved that.

I traded in my 07 TL-S that was coming off lease and never looked back.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
2012 TL SH-AWD Advance

I purchased because my 07 was going on 60k and i was offered more than blue book for it and the new TL was $5500 less than msrp. I was not even in the market for a car but the deal was too good to pass up. I'm also very brand loyal. This is my 5th Acura.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

6MT because.. why not?
Old 05-19-2010, 02:11 PM
5th Gear

I bought the base TL thinking that the NAV and upgraded stereo system was not worth the additional $3K. After all, I can buy a decent GPS for $300. However, after reading all the rave on this forum about the tech package (specifically the sound system and the rear camera), my next Acura will have the tech package. Overall, I do love my TL though.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2010 TL SH-AWD Tech w/HPT (Myan Bronze/Umber) - Coming from a 2001 CL Type-S, I figured it was time I got a grown-up car. And this is one seriously fun grown-up car! I think the best evidence of this is when I arrive at any destination, I actually don't want to leave the car. It's just so comfy and easily accessible (except maybe for navigating attached audio devices)... I also promised myself my next car would have AWD and being able to get that on a TL was like a dream come true!
Old 05-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Definitely get the Tech pkg. I cringe when i see a person driving a luxury car around with a portable GPS unit stuck to their windshield. Yea I know it's more thrifty, but so is a honda civic...