Paddle Shifters for Dummies

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:38 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by StHalcyon

That's what I was trying to get at. The specifications list advertises the opposite, and none of the various videos or featurettes on the TL website even mention this. Most of their featurettes made me gag. Especially this one: http://www.acura.com/VideoGallery.as...ideos#/video15

i actually like that video
Old 04-24-2012, 11:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to be late to the conversation, but to the original question of "how do I use paddle shifters" I have three answers.
1) for fun and a poor excuse for manual transmission experience, put it in S and use the shifters to shift as if you were driving a manual.
2) to control speed on down hills use the paddles to shift into 3 or 2 to engine brake without having to use your real brakes as much.
3) to get into the engines torque and power bands when passing as others have mentioned.

I find 2 and 3 to be the most useful uses of the paddles. It's just not the same as a manual no matter how you try.
Old 04-25-2012, 05:33 AM
Registered Malcontent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's an automatic with two controllers for the gearbox. You can't do a mechanical overrev like you can with a manual.
The car just won't allow it.
Different beast altogether.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:15 PM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
its fun as hell. Just try to keep the RPMs from getting above say 5000k.
you can usually shift down to 2nd going around slower corners. 3rd gear is fun up to about 50 to 60 mph. then 4th is ok for highways. you don't need 5th gear usually.
Its a nice feeling when the car is 'balancing on the powerband' and any movement of your foot can immediatly be felt in the car powering forward.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:25 AM
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
i actually like that video
You suppose it'd be a great video to watch on an infinite repeat loop?

Originally Posted by muggs
It's an automatic with two controllers for the gearbox. You can't do a mechanical overrev like you can with a manual.
The car just won't allow it.
Different beast altogether.
On the 4G TL 6MT, it is a drive-by-wire system. You suppose the computer will prevent it to go past red even if you step on it? I'm curious, but don't want to try on my car.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:52 AM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,155 Likes on 826 Posts

On the 4G TL 6MT, it is a drive-by-wire system. You suppose the computer will prevent it to go past red even if you step on it? I'm curious, but don't want to try on my car.
For cars equipped with manual transmissions (6MT TL included), although the engine computer can prevent the engine from over-revving when the gas pedal is pressed, it can't doing anything to prevent the driver from downshifting 2 or 3 gears lower at very high vehicle speeds. As soon as the clutch is fully released after the manual gear shift, the engine rpm will be redlining like crazy.
Old 04-26-2012, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Edward'TLS
For cars equipped with manual transmissions (6MT TL included), although the engine computer can prevent the engine from over-revving when the gas pedal is pressed, it can't doing anything to prevent the driver from downshifting 2 or 3 gears lower at very high vehicle speeds. As soon as the clutch is fully released after the manual gear shift, the engine rpm will be redlining like crazy.
True. I would expect the computer can't handle that situation. I was wondering about manual human input through the throttle pedal if it would limit it. Sounds like it limits it in that situation. Just curious... Have you tried it?
Old 04-26-2012, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
if 1st redlines at 38 mph and 6800rpm, and you engage first gear at 76mph, the clutch will force the crankshaft to turn at 13,600rpm and the engine will blow itself up.

How open or closed the throttle plate is, via command from foot or computer, is a spec of dust in the corner of this picture.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
so OpIv37 and eazyrider.. you guys never played a racing game before? like a arcade game? dave and busters? round 1? game factory?

the paddle shifters are essentially like a game, if you know what - and + are, then you know it goes up and down on the gears.

if you want to go up pull the + paddle, if you want to downshift pull - paddle.

im sorry to say, but my 16 year old cousin that is learning his license knows how to use paddle shifters..
I'm well aware that they upshift and downshift. Maybe I should have been more specific. What I want to know is WHEN to upshift or downshift to a) get better acceleration than the A/T on its own and b) not fuck up the transmission.
Old 05-04-2012, 05:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DannyZRC
if 1st redlines at 38 mph and 6800rpm, and you engage first gear at 76mph, the clutch will force the crankshaft to turn at 13,600rpm and the engine will blow itself up.

How open or closed the throttle plate is, via command from foot or computer, is a spec of dust in the corner of this picture.

@DannyZRC:
I've been driving manual trannies since I was 14, so please read the thread chronologically and see if you can understand the context in which I was talking about instead of your picture which was irrelevant to my question.

True. I would expect the computer can't handle that situation. I was wondering about manual human input through the throttle pedal if it would limit it. Sounds like it limits it in that situation. Just curious... Have you tried it?

Let me help you out with my question. If the ONLY human input is simply the throttle, NOT the clutch or shifter, and I open the throttle past redline, will the TL's 6MT drive-by-wire system prevent me from throwing a rod?

Of course I understand in the situation you described (which is a repeat of Edward'TLS's) the system won't prevent me from throwing a rod or two (or blow itself up), but do we all know for sure that the system will prevent you from going past the redline
if you keep the throttle open as the only human input without dropping gears?

Edward'TLS suggested yes, but having lived in Missouri, I kinda want to see that in writing in the manual or somewhere to feel satisfactorily confident, since I don't have the guts to try it. I have this morbid curiosity because I personally hate drive-by-wire systems, and want to know how much of an interference the system is capable of.

Last edited by StHalcyon; 05-04-2012 at 05:26 AM.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Well, I haven't tested it so bear that in mind.

Even with cable throttle, you can accomplish a rev limiter by cutting spark, fuel, or both.

I've never heard of a modern car without a rev limiter, usually accomplished by and called "fuel-cut".

If you look at acceleration/gearing tables in, for example, road and track, they list RPMs which are past redline and are inferred to be the fuel-cut RPM.

for the TL, it's 6800rpm, just 100rpm past redline if memory serves.

I havent' tested it, but you could and put your mind at ease.

At a stop, the TL has a 4000rpm rev limit, but if you declutch while rolling and wood the throttle, it should happily bounce off the rev limiter as long as you hold the pedal down.

Go try it, we'll wait, it'll be fine
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DannyZRC
Well, I haven't tested it so bear that in mind.

Even with cable throttle, you can accomplish a rev limiter by cutting spark, fuel, or both.

I've never heard of a modern car without a rev limiter, usually accomplished by and called "fuel-cut".

If you look at acceleration/gearing tables in, for example, road and track, they list RPMs which are past redline and are inferred to be the fuel-cut RPM.

for the TL, it's 6800rpm, just 100rpm past redline if memory serves.

I havent' tested it, but you could and put your mind at ease.

At a stop, the TL has a 4000rpm rev limit, but if you declutch while rolling and wood the throttle, it should happily bounce off the rev limiter as long as you hold the pedal down.

Go try it, we'll wait, it'll be fine
Tempting to try, but even if I want to, I've got to wait a while. I'm only at mile 319. No high revs past 4,500 rpm for me till I hit the 600 mile mark. =)