Oil Consumption/50k+

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:59 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil Consumption/50k+

Hey guys writing this to get some info. on the dredded 3.7 oil cosumption. I saw a thread but mostly consisted of people in the break in peroid which is normal to an extent. I have a 2009. Never had any problem. I did have the propeller shaft replaced cuz of the whin and that was it. After 50k i noticed the oil dropping. said something at the dealership..... so basically they filled it up. lol./..... so i decided to monitor it myself after having an oil change i noticed it went from full to the top to the bottom of the stick in about 1000 miles. Not good. I read alot about this problem and am taking my car in. I have seen some people got the motor replaced others not so easy. I guess what i hear is you have to burn more than a quart per k. Idk if its a quart but thats pretty damn horrible. Car seems ok but seems like i have to push it harder to go. also. ive had the car brand new. I have not really heard my cars fans on.. useless i drove really far... or i had the a/c on. But its like always comming on now like off and on. I know it does come on. I guess what im saying is its on more. I just doesnt feel right.uhh so i just wanted to see if i could get any info from you guys. From what ive read. I have to dick around at the dealership for a year now letting them check the oil. compression test. all that stuff.... uhhh this is why i bought an acura.damn..... i heard people saying mc/audi.bmw... buring oil. I have owned all 3 and never had them burn oil.....idono how to tackle this on...... car has full warrenty to 100
Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Before thinking oil consumption, check your oil pan and drain plug to see if any leaks.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by C8N
Before thinking oil consumption, check your oil pan and drain plug to see if any leaks.
given that the dealership has done numerous tests, somehow I don't think they would miss something so simple every time.
Old 10-14-2014, 04:59 PM
Racer

@ 72,000km, no oil consumption issues as of yet... (checked for the first time since owning her after letting her sit some 24 hrs/~3500 kms driven)

KNOCK. ON. WOOD.
Old 10-14-2014, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts
i have ~60,000 miles on my 2012 and I follow the maintenance minder for oil changes. Because of the stories I read here I'll check it mid-change and right before I take it in and it's just as full as when it's first changed. Maybe I'm lucky.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:22 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Last weekend I decided to check the oil level on my 2012 SH-AWD with 54000 km. It was the first time I checked it between oil changes (mind you this was only my second oil change since buying the car).

At the time, my maintenance minder still showed 15% of oil life left. The dipstick was barely wet. Just a little bit on the tip (maybe 1/8th of an inch) but below the minimum line ! I added a full quart of oil immediately.

It's kind of weird that the car bugs me non stop about tire pressure being a little on the low side on cold mornings but doesn't say anything if the oil dips below the minimum !

Having said that, I took it for service yesterday and mentioned it to them. They changed the oil and filled it to the top mark. They told me to check it throughout the cycle and that if/when it hits the minimum line again, not to add any oil and bring the car in and let them do it. That way, they can quantify the issue and send a report to Acura Canada.

It sounded like if indeed the car uses a full quart between services, they would do something about it but I suppose they need to "confirm" the issue themselves.

I've owned a few Honda products in the past, including a 10 year old Accord and I have never ever checked the oil between services. Clearly this should not be "normal".

We'll see how everything turns out for me.

But to your point, if the car is under warranty and burns oil, I suppose the dealership should be able to do something about it...
Old 10-15-2014, 04:34 PM
7th Gear

I took it in to the dealer. I told them that in 1000 miles it when from totally full to the bottom of the dipstick. They looked at it and said yes it went down 1.1q so..................... They filled it back up again and said go another 1000. So i said what is the fix for this.(trying to act dumb) he said he piston/rings. So i mean its been buring pretty good so i think in a k it will be the same again. The thing i didnt like was when i got home,car sat the rest of the weekend. Checked it and it was generously filled up above the top line. Should have called and bitched but it is about 40 mins to the dealership. i just drained it and leveled it back off right on the full mark.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:44 AM
Queen of SH-AWD

Received 23 Likes on 8 Posts
My 2010 TL SH-AWD is experiencing the dreaded oil consumption/burning problem.
The car just turned over 50K miles. It seems like once the car turns 50k, the burning/consumption becomes apparent.
My service advisor showed me the vehicle burned 1 quart / 1000 miles.
I would fill the oil up to be sure the engine is lubricated.
However, I would def follow the dealers tests. You may get a new motor out of it.
I have 1000 miles to go, then I am bringing the vehicle back for the oil consumption test. If the vehicle is still loosing a quart per 1000 miles, my SA advised he would replace the motor. Def keep an eye on it! Good luck!
Old 10-31-2014, 01:05 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by gemz_acura
My 2010 TL SH-AWD is experiencing the dreaded oil consumption/burning problem.
The car just turned over 50K miles. It seems like once the car turns 50k, the burning/consumption becomes apparent.
My service advisor showed me the vehicle burned 1 quart / 1000 miles.
I would fill the oil up to be sure the engine is lubricated.
However, I would def follow the dealers tests. You may get a new motor out of it.
I have 1000 miles to go, then I am bringing the vehicle back for the oil consumption test. If the vehicle is still loosing a quart per 1000 miles, my SA advised he would replace the motor. Def keep an eye on it! Good luck!
Sadly, the piston rings will go on the new engine as well.

it happened to a member here.
he went through all the test, got approved for a new engine...had the engine replaced and shortly after having it replaced, the engine started to consume oil
Old 10-31-2014, 05:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
one member...How many 4gens were sold...one?
Old 12-04-2014, 07:20 PM
7th Gear

Well after 2 trips to the dealer they fixed it by replacing the short block. They did the timing belt to as they said the tensioner was leaking.with my car back it runs and drives 1 million times better than before I am very happy with my car now.my question is after all the excessive oil burning in my vehicle going on for about a year now.is there any risk to my cats? I asked the dealer and he said no extended warranty,and said just that it was burning oil does not mean that it was going through the catalytic converter's even though my exhaust pipes are black as shit.what are your thoughts.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:58 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts
It looks like my car is experiencing some oil burn but not nearly as bad as some of you guys. I've driven about 3k miles since my last oil change and my oil is down about 3/4 of a quart.

My car has about 22k miles if that matters.
Old 12-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
hi all,
Does the oil consumption happen on all AWD?
I'm working on a deal to pick up a 2012 AWD but kinda hesitate when reading about the oil consumption in here.
The car is still under warranty for another year.
Thanks.
Old 12-07-2014, 06:44 AM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooldude01
hi all,
Does the oil consumption happen on all AWD?
I'm working on a deal to pick up a 2012 AWD but kinda hesitate when reading about the oil consumption in here.
The car is still under warranty for another year.
Thanks.
Several members have mentioned the issue.To date mine has never used any oil,however i have only 25k kms on my car.
Old 12-07-2014, 07:00 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I check my oil level every other fill up. Here is what I noticed with my car. My everyday commute consists of 18 miles each way. 17 miles of that is suburban and rural roads with 45-55mph speed limits. 1 mile is a 4 lane highway. I don't notice any change in oil level when my drive consists of this type of roadway and varying speeds.

When I visit one of our warehouse locations and drive 80 miles each way and 70 miles of it is constant speeds of 60-80mph I notice a drop in oil level. It may go from top mark on the stick to about an 1/8 or at most 1/4 of the way from full. I use penzoil platinum or ultra. I have used synthetic since my first change. The oil is changed between 5-7k miles.

Anyone else notice more consumption on longer highway drives?
Old 12-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Instructor

I commute about 100 miles of urban highway (60+MPH) daily. I have over 60K miles in two years. I change the oil at my dealer by the maintenance minder and check it mid-cycle and right before I bring it in. I haven't noticed any change in level from one change to the next.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:41 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Did you guys warm the car up for a couple minutes before going or just start and go?
I'm not sure if the warming up method will have some benefits during winter time.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:54 AM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
Originally Posted by dtrayers
I commute about 100 miles of urban highway (60+MPH) daily. I have over 60K miles in two years. I change the oil at my dealer by the maintenance minder and check it mid-cycle and right before I bring it in. I haven't noticed any change in level from one change to the next.

Interesting observation. I wonder if that could explain the variability owners are reporting - some saying they have no oil usage, others reporting some. About half of my daily commute is highway driving around 65 mph. If l let it go to the MID interval, it will use about half to a full quart in between changes. If I change it at 5000 miles, it does not use enough to require adding oil.
Old 12-07-2014, 01:22 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Cooldude01
Did you guys warm the car up for a couple minutes before going or just start and go?
I'm not sure if the warming up method will have some benefits during winter time.
It won't make a difference if full synthetic engine oil is used, because synthetic oil will not thinning or thicken up at almost all possible temperatures.
Old 12-07-2014, 04:08 PM

Received 16,265 Likes on 11,974 Posts
agreed with EdwardTLS, warming up will not have an effect.

it's the piston rings that are in play here.
no matter what oil, what interval, warmup/cold, it will always leak.

have you ever wondered why Honda dropped the 3.7l and reverted back to the 3.5l in the successor to the TL?

its very likely that this issue is/was known. And Honda did the smart thing by going back to the 3.5l engine.

it's also known that replacing the pistons and its rings will have the same results.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by justnspace

have you ever wondered why Honda dropped the 3.7l and reverted back to the 3.5l in the successor to the TL?

its very likely that this issue is/was known. And Honda did the smart thing by going back to the 3.5l engine.
You may be right, but I think fuel economy and cylinder deactivation played a large role. To add cylinder deactivation to the 3.7L would probably be cost prohibitive considering the percentage of 3.7L engines in use compared to the 3.5L. And the 3.5 in the TLX and RLX is NOT the same as the 3.5 found in the TL.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:26 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,152 Likes on 823 Posts
^^^^^

Justnspace has made a very good point.

The 3.7L-V6 engine is a faulty design to begin with, and is prone to burn excessive engine oil.

So there is no point adding direct-injection/cylinder-deactivation/etc. to a faulty engine design (3.7L-V6), but only to discontinue it to save headaches.

Thus, the creation of the 3.5L-V6 with direct-injection/cylinder-deactivation/etc., and to use this proven reliable design in all new Acura vehicles (RLX/MDX/TLX).

As for maximum fuel economy, a 3.2L-V6 is naturally a more valid choice than either the 3.5L-V6 or the 3.7L-V6.
Old 12-10-2014, 07:18 AM
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts
I just changed my oil two weeks ago. Dipstick was up to the full mark. I did one week of my suburban commute and two days of the long range commute which usually ends up using some oil. Checked the stick last night a few minutes after I got home and it's still up at the full mark.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
My 2012 TL 3.7L has used 1 qt per 4K miles since new. Recently changed to 1 qt per 2K. The car has 48K miles on it. Have used 5W-20 synthetic oil since the break-in oil was removed. Had this confirmed with an oil consumption test by the dealer. The dealer and Acura customer service have decided not to pursue this since it does not meet the standard of 1 qt per 1K miles.

I decided to replace the PCV valve. Removed the old one and found that it barely rattled. Much different than the new one. If this decreases the consumption back to 1 qt per 4K I will be thrilled.

PCV valve was $26 from the Acura dealer and a 15 minute fiddly job.
Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by amill
I check my oil level every other fill up. Here is what I noticed with my car. My everyday commute consists of 18 miles each way. 17 miles of that is suburban and rural roads with 45-55mph speed limits. 1 mile is a 4 lane highway. I don't notice any change in oil level when my drive consists of this type of roadway and varying speeds.

When I visit one of our warehouse locations and drive 80 miles each way and 70 miles of it is constant speeds of 60-80mph I notice a drop in oil level. It may go from top mark on the stick to about an 1/8 or at most 1/4 of the way from full. I use penzoil platinum or ultra. I have used synthetic since my first change. The oil is changed between 5-7k miles.

Anyone else notice more consumption on longer highway drives?
YES! Normally I just drive around town and do short jaunts on the highway, but when I drove to Vegas (forget the mileage, but about 6 hours), my oil level plummeted below the bottom of the stick (1.7 quarts low I think). I'm driving to Vegas again this week, and I will be checking oil levels before and after.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
This is an interesting subject. I have never checked my oil. But after reading this, I decided maybe I should check it. I drive a mix of highway and city. I had my oil changed about 2 weeks ago. Drove last weekend on a long trip, about 300 miles each way. Checked it when I got home and oil is full, just like when they filled it. I will check again this weekend as I will probably drive about 500 miles this week a mix of highway and city.

I have a 2011 SH-AWD with about 65K miles. I have had no problems and think the car, and engine, are great. I wonder if some of the guys commenting on how bad the car is actually have an Acura or 4th gen. TL... Just because someone comments doesn't mean they have first hand experience.
Old 12-15-2014, 03:49 PM
8th Gear

And some people just like trying to stir things up.

I've got about 40K on my 2011 SH-AWD and no oil consumption issues at all. Change every 7500 miles with M1 5W-20.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:38 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
No consumption issues here at all
Old 12-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
2011 SH-AWD driving a lot in a mountainous (100 - 115 Fahrenheit) hot and dusty environment 75% around town - 25% highway and freeways (Heavy foot - I always drive in sport mode using paddle shift) no oil consumption.

I don't follow the MID I change Oil and filter every 3000 - 4000 Miles - Switched from Mobil 1 EP synthetic 5W 20 to Redline synthetic 5W 20
Old 12-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Word

Originally Posted by beat
No consumption issues here at all
Me too no problems with oil consumption on my car 2013 Acura TL SH AWD as a matter of fact no problems at all accept for the clunk noise in the back seat on passenger side not bad just annoying. Besides that I love my car especially the hundred thousand mile warranty.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:16 AM
4th Gear

I own a 2011 SH-AWD. I've owned the car since 42k miles or so, and never had a problem with oil consumption until recently.
Now im at 55k miles or so, and just the other day I got on the gas a bit, and had some serious hesitation when VTEC shouldve switched over. Come to find out, I was about a whole qt low. This was near the end of my oil life, about 4k miles into the change, but still...I had no issues when I bought it and now it seems to be consuming a bit more than when I bought it.

Normal? I don't know, but it definitely seems that around the 50k miles mark that these motors seem to start burning oil at a faster rate than when new
Old 02-06-2015, 02:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Ive been noticing the consumption of oil at about 80,000 miles I got a low oil warning and ever since then I've been checking it I'm using about a quart and a half every 2000 miles...question for you all besides the annoying fact that I have to put oil in the vehicle often what are the long term problems I will encounter. i see all that black soot on the exhaust pipes and that can't be good lol ..I'm talking about long term I have 90000 miles and I want to keep the car for 3 to 5 more years . is there anything I could do besides putting in oil and ensuring that it stays filled? I'm out of warranty. Can't replace the engine. Guess what I'm. Asking is will my car last lol the 105k service is coming ....I'm crossing my fingers in the hope that perhaps that will improve the consumption the consumption.
Old 02-08-2015, 12:36 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
I have the same oil consumption with my 2012 TL at 50K miles. Started using Castrol Edge 0W-40 with titanium. This oil is one of the recommended viscosities in the UK, Germany, Scandanavia and Australia for this engine.

I have been carefully monitoring oil consumption. So far, my rate of consumption has decreased from 1 QT / 2K to 1 QT / 6K. 2K into this oil change and only 1/3 down from full to add line.
Old 02-09-2015, 12:19 PM
2009*TL^Sh-awd*Tech

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by mylove4cars
2011 SH-AWD driving a lot in a mountainous (100 - 115 Fahrenheit) hot and dusty environment 75% around town - 25% highway and freeways (Heavy foot - I always drive in sport mode using paddle shift) no oil consumption.

I don't follow the MID I change Oil and filter every 3000 - 4000 Miles - Switched from Mobil 1 EP synthetic 5W 20 to Redline synthetic 5W 20

Just wondering, since I use Mobil 1 Synthetic, why the sudden change in oil? I also drive with paddle shifters all the time and have sort of a heavy foot.

My 4G has 82k miles and I put about 45k myself in 2 years, as of now she burns 1 qt every 4k miles.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:21 AM
Racer

I just hit 80,000 kms/50,000 miles over the weekend... did about 400 kms of highway driving, and some very aggressive red-line type driving recently...also had an oil change 3-4 weeks weeks ago. I think this is the time to check. If she's below full I have an issue. Fingers crossed!!!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:14 PM
Cruisin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidneon
I just hit 80,000 kms/50,000 miles over the weekend... did about 400 kms of highway driving, and some very aggressive red-line type driving recently...also had an oil change 3-4 weeks weeks ago. I think this is the time to check. If she's below full I have an issue. Fingers crossed!!!

Hope its full also! Sucks to have to check often....
The following users liked this post:
liquidneon (02-11-2015)
Old 02-12-2015, 03:07 PM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
Interesting observation. I wonder if that could explain the variability owners are reporting - some saying they have no oil usage, others reporting some. About half of my daily commute is highway driving around 65 mph. If l let it go to the MID interval, it will use about half to a full quart in between changes. If I change it at 5000 miles, it does not use enough to require adding oil.
This is exactly how mine has been... Had to add a quart at the 6,000 mile mark after an oil change with 30% oil life showing on the MID... approx 7,500 - 8,000 miles between oil changes.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:19 AM
2009*TL^Sh-awd*Tech

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Just got my oil change done (Mobil One Synthetic) and there was little to no oil consumption...im at 83k.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:42 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
^^ How many miles between oil changes Mike?
Old 02-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by liquidneon
Woo! Checked Sunday morning - zero visible oil consumption! What a relief. Will check again before next oil change.
The following users liked this post:
Reorge (03-17-2015)

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption/50k+