Official 2009 Acura TL vs 2009 Acura TSX (All threads will be merged here)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 08:54 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official 2009 Acura TL vs 2009 Acura TSX (All threads will be merged here)

Hey, I'm new here to the forums as well as being an Acura fan.

This question has probably been asked a ridiculously large amount of times but I would like your opinions as to which car would be better?

I'm currently driving my father's 2005 Honda Pilot but I'm looking into getting my own car. Doing research on numerous cars including the Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Infiniti G37, Nissan Altima/Maxima, BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, Lexus IS250/350, I finally settled on Acura. It seems to be a reliable brand with great value and is the most practical for me.

I'm by no means a car fanatic although in doing research I've developed an interest in cars. I don't plan on modding my car like crazy or racing or anything of the such though.

I personally like the style of the new grill and will mostly likely have it paint-matched to go with the rest of the car. I'm trying to decide between Premium White Pearl/White Diamond Pearl and Crystal Black Pearl but leaning more towards the White.

I'll most likely have this car for the next two years of my college life before passing it on to my younger brother when he goes off to college. The weather here in Buffalo, NY is pretty bad most of the year with rain/snow when I'm actually here for school. If I end up keeping the car after two, I'll just be driving around the NYC area.

Disregarding the price difference, the main difference I can see is the 4-cyl engine of the TSX vs the V6 engine of the TL. The only other cars I've really driven are my girlfriend's 4-cyl Toyota Corolla and my housemate's 4-cyl Honda Accord. The difference between those 4-cyl and the V6 of my Pilot doesn't seem all that big to me. I realize that there are differences between a sedan, coupe, and SUV but I don't how much of a difference it makes relative to engines. My housemate tells me though that the difference between his 4-cyl Accord and another friend's V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse is significant enough that he wishes he went with the V6.

Also, what are/how much of a difference is there in AWD vs FWD vs RWD?

If you're bored and feel like enlightening me on other important things about cars, feel free to. I'm here to learn.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:10 PM
Acuras Only in

In Buffalo winter days, you want to stick with AWD or FWD; TL's v6 is very potent, but considering you're still in college, TSX will be sufficient for you and your younger brother IMO; go with white color as it's a pain to keep blk color cars clean ...

Good luck !
Old 10-24-2008, 09:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by whoaclutch
Hey, I'm new here to the forums as well as being an Acura fan.

This question has probably been asked a ridiculously large amount of times but I would like your opinions as to which car would be better?

I'm currently driving my father's 2005 Honda Pilot but I'm looking into getting my own car. Doing research on numerous cars including the Honda Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Infiniti G37, Nissan Altima/Maxima, BMW 1 Series, 3 Series, Lexus IS250/350, I finally settled on Acura. It seems to be a reliable brand with great value and is the most practical for me.

I'm by no means a car fanatic although in doing research I've developed an interest in cars. I don't plan on modding my car like crazy or racing or anything of the such though.

I personally like the style of the new grill and will mostly likely have it paint-matched to go with the rest of the car. I'm trying to decide between Premium White Pearl/White Diamond Pearl and Crystal Black Pearl but leaning more towards the White.

I'll most likely have this car for the next two years of my college life before passing it on to my younger brother when he goes off to college. The weather here in Buffalo, NY is pretty bad most of the year with rain/snow when I'm actually here for school. If I end up keeping the car after two, I'll just be driving around the NYC area.

Disregarding the price difference, the main difference I can see is the 4-cyl engine of the TSX vs the V6 engine of the TL. The only other cars I've really driven are my girlfriend's 4-cyl Toyota Corolla and my housemate's 4-cyl Honda Accord. The difference between those 4-cyl and the V6 of my Pilot doesn't seem all that big to me. I realize that there are differences between a sedan, coupe, and SUV but I don't how much of a difference it makes relative to engines. My housemate tells me though that the difference between his 4-cyl Accord and another friend's V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse is significant enough that he wishes he went with the V6.

Also, what are/how much of a difference is there in AWD vs FWD vs RWD?

If you're bored and feel like enlightening me on other important things about cars, feel free to. I'm here to learn.

Honestly in 04 I had a TL and my buddy had a TSX, the TSX maybe got 2-3 MPG better, the TL was way more fun all around and better to drive, the TSX advantage was that it was nimble.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Racer

If I were you, I would definitely get the TL or the BMW 3 Series. Now look it depends mostly on your taste. acura is a great brand and so is BMW, when it comes to rear wheel drive machines, BMW & Mercedes Benz are milestones ahead in the sedan category. For you, as a personal car for start, I would definitely give a try for the new TSX or the new TL. Let me say about the cars that I am recommending you.

2009 Acura TL
great car, smooth v6 engine, powerful enough for 280bhp, its the refined version of the 3.5 litre engine in your Honda Pilot. You wont feel a big difference, it will consume more fuel but you get that extra 80bhp surplus of the TSX. plus its a v6 and honda/acura makes one of the finest 4 cyl and v6 engines. the 09 tl is great to drive, smooth handling and has a strong grip on the road. looks wise, I would definitely choose a tsx over this.

2009 Acura TSX
it makes 201 bhp, 4 less than its predecessor but this is the fact, it saves more gas, burns less fuel and is much more environment friendly. the engine is very responsive, one of the finest naturally aspirated 4 cylinder engines, small time tuners literally cries out for the tsx's engine. good to drive, better handling than the previous model and looks fabulous even with the controversial grille. It's really grown up and will be the best premium car to start up with.

2009 BMW 325i/335i
BMW is known for their best segment (handling), a bmw that cannot handle well doesnt deserve to have that prestigious badge. (eg: bmw x3). The 3 Series is the best selling car in UK, yes it sells better than the Ford Mondeo which you can see almost everywhere in London. It's expensive, its built quality is fantastic and I have to tell you, in its segment (entry level luxury sedan), it is the ultimate sedan. no doubt. Anyone who wants to have a good car and be proud of it and still not spend a lot should really buy a 3 series. great car, will be pricey with the features, doesnt come standard which you get in acura models. German Technology is indeed much better but then again warranty is less, maintenance is high and if you dont take care of it, it wont be a good car for you.

These are the 3 models I would recommend you. either go with a 4 cylinder or a v6, depends on how much power you want. the new tl is indeed very powerful, but the tsx isnt a bad choice either.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:07 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
No offense but who's paying, you or your parents? In either case, get the cheapest car....you don't want to go through school saddled with a lot of debt (esp. in today's economy). Also, after you graduate, you can look forward to better cars when you land a good job. Man, what is it with these kids nowdays?!....3 series? Acuras? Hell, when I was in school, I had to work 2 jobs just to afford a "beater."
Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 PM
3rd Gear

Haha, sorry. My parents are paying for it. They offered to get me a car whenever I got my license and my Dad happens to be a fan of Honda/Acura. I doubt they would get me a Lexus or BMW anyway, it was more for fun and comparison than anything. Yeah I'm lucky, I know.

I'm pretty content with driving the Honda Pilot. It's also good for the way the weather is around here. I'm in no rush to get a new car or anything but since they are willing, I'm just doing some research to make sure it'll at least be a worthwhile purchase rather than something out of nowhere.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whoaclutch
Haha, sorry. My parents are paying for it. They offered to get me a car whenever I got my license and my Dad happens to be a fan of Honda/Acura. I doubt they would get me a Lexus or BMW anyway, it was more for fun and comparison than anything. Yeah I'm lucky, I know.

I'm pretty content with driving the Honda Pilot. It's also good for the way the weather is around here. I'm in no rush to get a new car or anything but since they are willing, I'm just doing some research to make sure it'll at least be a worthwhile purchase rather than something out of nowhere.
Even if your parents are paying and can easily afford anything, if I were you, I''ll get the cheapest car.......believe me, you'll get a TON of respect from your parents by doing that. Many years ago when I was in college, my parents saved up to buy me a car, but I refused and decided that I rather work and pay for my own car.....they took that money and invested it and later grew so much that it paid off my school loans. I see so many kids nowdays taking advantage of their parents' money and goodwill and driving around in BMW's and Lexus....they lose all respect of money and respect from their parents. It's sad these days when you see a school parking lot and see more luxury cars driven by students rather than by teachers. No wonder this economy's so screwed up.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:58 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by PetesTL
Even if your parents are paying and can easily afford anything, if I were you, I''ll get the cheapest car.......believe me, you'll get a TON of respect from your parents by doing that. Many years ago when I was in college, my parents saved up to buy me a car, but I refused and decided that I rather work and pay for my own car.....they took that money and invested it and later grew so much that it paid off my school loans. I see so many kids nowdays taking advantage of their parents' money and goodwill and driving around in BMW's and Lexus....they lose all respect of money and respect from their parents. It's sad these days when you see a school parking lot and see more luxury cars driven by students rather than by teachers. No wonder this economy's so screwed up.
True, I finally agree with you on someting..lol.just kiddin. Your totally right!
Old 10-24-2008, 11:11 PM
Intermediate

Easy choice 09 TSX looks nice. 09 TL is hideous
Old 10-25-2008, 04:25 AM
Intermediate

Psssh...I had to take a student loan just to buy my TL.
I wouldn't go with this generation of Acuras based on the look, especially if you don't plan "modding" but if you like the look...more power to you.

plus, why wouldn't they get you a lexus?
honda:acura :: toyota:lexus :: nissan:infiniti
(a little S.A.T. style for you)
Old 10-25-2008, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
I find younger guys like the TSX because it's alittle sportier-especially now with the TL moving toward a more luxury sedan status instead of a sports sedan.
Old 10-26-2008, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

For me, opting for the TSX was essentially a matter of money...I had a ceiling of about 34K and was unwilling to budge given the current economic climate...

The other factor was the manual transmission; I had traded in a 2008 Accord Coupe V6/6M following the birth of my son, and was keen on sticking to a manual transmission...

The dealer offered me a 2008 TL Type S for essentially the same money but somehow the newer design theme on the TSX won my heart...
Old 10-26-2008, 07:45 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Baapo, you are young at heart.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:45 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
I'm with Pete. Save the money and drive the Pilot. We own a 2005 Pilot and love it! This is the Wife's car but I love driving it on family trips and such. There is much more power than a TSX and you have AWD for the weather.

Colleges are hell on cars anyway: dings, break-ins, vandalism etc. I would never drive a super nice car to a college for those reasons alone. I had a nice car in college that I paid for myself and it was a big pain- especially the break-ins- 12 in 4 years of college. I had a VW Scirocco in college and it was a pain owning even though it was a nice car in its time.

Park the money in an ETF like IVV and watch this money grow instead. You'll appreciate a nice car much more down the road and save a boatload on insurance to boot.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:40 AM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand where you are coming from in many ways but please be cautious when making generalizations about the younger crowd on the board. While there is no doubt that there are many members of the "younger crowd" on AZ that are less than mature and certainly fit the bill to your above description, not all do, including myself. I have had my Acura since I got my liscense at 16. I have certainly made mistakes with the car but never once have I lost all respect for money; quite the contrary, actually. I respect both my parents and myself more having been lucky enough to have such a great car at a young age; it's inspired me to work hard throughout life even more so. Some younger people who get expensive, premium cars probably should not have them and do actually lose all respect for their parents and their hard earned dollars but please, don't make generalizations about all younger members here; we're not all like that, myself and it seems like the OP, as well.

To the OP, I would recommend the TSX. I have an '04, and though I have never drive the '09, it seems more practical than the TL. My father has an '-5 TL, and again, while both of our cars are different from the current generation TL and TSX, for a person around the same age as me, the TSX is a better choice. I love both cars but would take my TSX again over the TL as the TL is a bit much for a college student. The TL is a larger vehicle and the extra power doesn't really seem all that important to you so the TSX will be more than potent enough. Good luck with whatever you chose!