AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Noob Enthusiast Bulb Question (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/noob-enthusiast-bulb-question-960899/)

Titan_X 07-27-2017 04:11 PM

Noob Enthusiast Bulb Question

Hello All, I'm wanting to change my DRLs and Foglights to a different bulb, preferably a white color instead of the amber yellow. My question to you guys is, is there such thing as a plug and play kit/bulb set that will not cause any errors to appear on the car?

Thanks!

dopeboy1 07-27-2017 06:26 PM

For fog lights yes, mine are straight plug and play replacement LED bulbs. For DRLs... sort of, mine came with resisters that need to be mounted to a metal surface. My DRL kit came with the resisters already hooked up to the bulbs so you just plug and play the stock bulbs with the LEDs and then mount the resisters. Both have been flawless and don't throw any codes.

echodigital 07-27-2017 09:26 PM

I have upgraded DRL and Fogs to DRL. There are lots of discussion on it...

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...-953482/page2/

Titan_X 07-27-2017 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16066525)
For fog lights yes, mine are straight plug and play replacement LED bulbs. For DRLs... sort of, mine came with resisters that need to be mounted to a metal surface. My DRL kit came with the resisters already hooked up to the bulbs so you just plug and play the stock bulbs with the LEDs and then mount the resisters. Both have been flawless and don't throw any codes.

Can I ask if you have a link to your bulbs?? Like the website you bought them from?

dopeboy1 07-28-2017 10:31 AM

These are my fog lights

These are my DRLs

Be aware that LED DRLs do not have a high beam function. They are low beam DRL only. So do not buy them if you need a high beam. I've never missed having high beams as I drive mostly city and my headlight/switchback/fog light combo is bright as f**k.

Titan_X 08-01-2017 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16066893)
These are my fog lights

https://www.amazon.ca/JDM-ASTAR-Extr...+led+jdm+astar

These are my DRLs

https://www.amazon.ca/iJDMTOY-16-CRE...rl+led+ijdmtoy

Be aware that LED DRLs do not have a high beam function. They are low beam DRL only. So do not buy them if you need a high beam. I've never missed having high beams as I drive mostly city and my headlight/switchback/fog light combo is bright as f**k.

Being that I travel out of town quite often, I probably won't get the LED DRLs, but thanks for the fog lights! Have you had any problems with them? and what is their life expectancy?

dopeboy1 08-01-2017 07:52 PM

The fogs have been great. I haven't had them for long but so far no problems. I copy and pasted the following from the ad. :smile:

6000K xenon white color
Lighting Output:1500 lumens for each bulb.
Application: Fog lights , DRL.
Waterproof: IP65. Voltage:12V to 24V. Wattage: 8w.
Lifespan: 10000 working hours. Non polar design
Derived from European union E4 standard design
Excellent heat dissipation design for maximum performance
Improved brightness, which will benefit your driving experience
compatible with most American, Japanese ,and European vehicles. The bulb might throw the error code for some vehicles with built-in canbus system

bryan916 08-02-2017 02:45 AM

If you have a 2012+ i've heard great things about these fog lights:

​​​​​​https://www.theretrofitsource.com/al...ect_restrict=1

If you don't (like me) then these led lights for your fogs on your 2011 and below are amazing. I have them installed on my '09 sh and they cover the entire road with really bright cool white/blue light:

​​​​​​

Anicra 08-02-2017 10:34 PM

The retrosource fogs were like 20 minute to install. Took me longer just aim them. I tried other LED fogs none needed a resistor. All of them seem to send the light everwhere except what was useful. I wanted the yellow LED for fog/snow and such so I had retrosource apply the Lamix yellow film on the lens before they shipped them. The DRL take even less - one side just pull up the coolant container and the other was remove the battery. I was replacing the battery with Odyssey extreme deep cycle and giving my slightly used battery to a needy friend. It is really fast replacement if you notice the tooth orientation instead for trying the 3 possible ways.

Lets not talk about the HID bulb on the passenger side. I figured I would upgrade to the Osram nightbreaker. Since my wife's friend has some major camera equipment and noticed that the factory HID were about 10 pct less right over 4 years. Since the spot she parks was the same spot, they were able to compare. You need stick thin arms and thumb immune to pain. My thumb was numb for 10 days. Pulling off the bumper was the only solution for me. Because the lever would not move.

echodigital 08-03-2017 02:56 PM

Morimotos are sweet. I had to go with normal bulbs because I have a 2009 TL. I found this video helpful.

How hot do LED headlight bulbs get? ? Better Automotive Lighting

IMHO, the newer LEDs are really good now and High Beams are a non issue.

JakeF 10-14-2017 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by echodigital (Post 16070286)
Morimotos are sweet. I had to go with normal bulbs because I have a 2009 TL. I found this video helpful.

How hot do LED headlight bulbs get? ? Better Automotive Lighting

IMHO, the newer LEDs are really good now and High Beams are a non issue.

Reviving an old thread here.. I've been looking at doing an LED DRL conversion; why do you say that high beams are a non-issue? Is it that the LEDs are bright enough that they aren't needed? I live in a rural area with lots of roads that aren't lit very well and I use my high beams almost every time that I drive at night.

jsolorio 10-17-2017 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 16113638)
Reviving an old thread here.. I've been looking at doing an LED DRL conversion; why do you say that high beams are a non-issue? Is it that the LEDs are bright enough that they aren't needed? I live in a rural area with lots of roads that aren't lit very well and I use my high beams almost every time that I drive at night.

I just converted my DRLs to LED. I'm running Auxbeam F16s. They are high beam functional. Some LEDs do not have have high beam functionality when installed as DRLs. I need my high beams, so the Auxbeams were a good fit and reasonably priced IMO. I've had zero issue with them so far and the light output is phenomenal. I also converted my fogs to LED as well with F16s.

dopeboy1 10-17-2017 06:07 PM

Yeah if you drive at night in a rural area make sure you buy good ones with a high beam function. Im looking to buy LED DRLs that have both high and low beam function and also match my "6000k xenon white" switchbacks. For the life of me I cannot decide which ones to get lol.

JakeF 10-17-2017 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16115388)
Yeah if you drive at night in a rural area make sure you buy good ones with a high beam function. Im looking to buy LED DRLs that have both high and low beam function and also match my "6000k xenon white" switchbacks. For the life of me I cannot decide which ones to get lol.

I decided to go with the VLED DRL's with the high beam function. Should be arriving by the end of the week so if you still haven't decided by then I can post some photos for you.

dopeboy1 10-17-2017 11:23 PM

Pictures pls for sure. Which ones did you get the $150 ones?

JakeF 10-18-2017 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16115506)
Pictures pls for sure. Which ones did you get the $150 ones?

It was these R5 HIGH/LOW DRL MICRO WITH VOLTAGE BOOSTER KIT - Acura - 9005 HB3 - Daytime Running Lights - Shop Application

They came out to 170, they're having a fall discount and free shipping right now. I'll try and get them installed this weekend.

dopeboy1 10-19-2017 10:34 AM

I think im going to try these ones

They are $70CAD shipped to my door instead of 170USD for the vleds. They have the same warranty and at least claim to have higher lumen output than the vleds do.

sockpuppet 10-19-2017 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16116381)
I think im going to try these ones

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...93JH6X0N&psc=1

They are $70CAD shipped to my door instead of 170USD for the vleds. They have the same warranty and at least claim to have higher lumen output than the vleds do.

Those do intrigue me, however the VLEDS claim to be engineered to work as both DRL and high beams, whereas these are apparently only highs. Still, if you do go with these, please post an update with your impressions.

JakeF 10-19-2017 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by sockpuppet (Post 16116429)
Those do intrigue me, however the VLEDS claim to be engineered to work as both DRL and high beams, whereas these are apparently only highs. Still, if you do go with these, please post an update with your impressions.

I got the VLED bulbs in today. If I’m not working tonight I’ll put them in and post some pics.

thoiboi 10-19-2017 11:31 AM

you get what you pay for :shrug:

dopeboy1 10-19-2017 11:34 AM

I know the ad doesn't specifically state they are DRL and high beam but ive read the reviews and more than a few have posted pictures of them in both drl and high beam modes.

I got the VLED bulbs in today. If I’m not working tonight I’ll put them in and post some pics.
Looking forward to it im sure they are going to look great.

JakeF 10-19-2017 12:56 PM

Well damn. Apparently the VLEDs still need resistors. They look nice but I keep getting the ‘check DRL’ light.

sockpuppet 10-19-2017 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16116434)
you get what you pay for :shrug:

Very often true, however these claim to have a bit over 1,000 more lumen per bulb, and come with a 2 year warranty (as opposed to 1 year for the more expensive lights). Warranty is not, of course, 100% correlative of quality; an item with a short warranty may well last forever, while an item with a strong warranty could need several replacements (and with headlights, replacing them is a PITA). But both sets look like they might do the job. Thus my intrigue, though I'd like to see someone else guinea pig them.

dopeboy1 10-19-2017 02:28 PM

Ill be your guinea pig. Not sure if I need them but Ill get these too to make sure there's no issues.

JakeF 10-19-2017 03:32 PM

I wonder if the CANBUS would help with the error message I’m getting. I’ll probably go back to my halogens until I can get a resistor for the LEDs.

thoiboi 10-19-2017 03:32 PM

Acura's dont use CANBUS.. just get some resistors :poke:

JakeF 10-19-2017 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by thoiboi (Post 16116637)
Acura's dont use CANBUS.. just get some resistors :poke:

Oh haha. I was looking at the VLED resistors, they seem fairly easy to install. Any recommendations?

thoiboi 10-19-2017 03:37 PM

VLED resistors :nod:

dopeboy1 10-19-2017 05:16 PM

I installed resisters for my switchbacks where I had to splice them into the wires. The kit I bought had the clips where u just put the wire in each end and clamp it down. It was easy to do but doesn't vleds sell ones that are plug and play like the ones in the link I posted?

JakeF 10-19-2017 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16116706)
I installed resisters for my switchbacks where I had to splice them into the wires. The kit I bought had the clips where u just put the wire in each end and clamp it down. It was easy to do but doesn't vleds sell ones that are plug and play like the ones in the link I posted?

They're sort of plug and play. I'm going to go ahead and get a pair of these. VLR FOG LIGHT HEADLIGHT DRL RESISTOR - DRL Fog Headlight - Resistors - Shop Products

I'm going to take a few pictures of the lights when it gets dark this evening btw.

SkN012 10-19-2017 05:34 PM

I did a lil bit of research for quality LED's and I decided to get Drls, fogs and switchbacks from Vleds a week ago. This Drls had the hyperflash module included. Fogs were plug and play and the switchbacks came with the base adapter but the module was sold separatly. Unfortunately, all but the fogs were backordered. I should receive them all mid November.

Here is the links

R5 HIGH/LOW DRL MICRO WITH VOLTAGE BOOSTER KIT - Acura - 9005 HB3 - Daytime Running Lights - Shop Application

6 XTE-2 H11 H16 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS - H11 H8 H9 H16 - Fog Lights - Shop Application

V6 TRITON 5K / 6K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 3157 - Standard - 3157 - Turn Signals Front - Shop Application

Hope this helps

:canada:

JakeF 10-19-2017 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by SkN012 (Post 16116713)
I did a lil bit of research for quality LED's and I decided to get Drls, fogs and switchbacks from Vleds a week ago. This Drls had the hyperflash module included. Fogs were plug and play and the switchbacks came with the base adapter but the module was sold separatly. Unfortunately, all but the fogs were backordered. I should receive them all mid November.

Here is the links

R5 HIGH/LOW DRL MICRO WITH VOLTAGE BOOSTER KIT - Acura - 9005 HB3 - Daytime Running Lights - Shop Application

6 XTE-2 H11 H16 LED DRL/FOG LIGHT BULBS - H11 H8 H9 H16 - Fog Lights - Shop Application

V6 TRITON 5K / 6K WHITE AMBER SWITCHBACK 3157 - Standard - 3157 - Turn Signals Front - Shop Application

Hope this helps

Unless I'm doing something wrong you still have have resistors with the R5 DRL's. They work fine right now but I'm getting the check DRL alert and chime.

SkN012 10-19-2017 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 16116714)
Unless I'm doing something wrong you still have have resistors with the R5 DRL's. They work fine right now but I'm getting the check DRL alert and chime.

You installed the included module and still got the check Drl message?

JakeF 10-19-2017 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by SkN012 (Post 16116725)
You installed the included module and still got the check Drl message?

I did. The way I understand it is that the module that comes with the bulbs increases the voltage for high beams.

JakeF 10-19-2017 07:57 PM

https://i64.tinypic.com/nlzqs4.jpg

They're not as warm colored as this pic makes them out to be, I guess it's something to do with the camera on my iPhone. Either way they're bright and look a lot better than the halogen DRL/high beams.

SkN012 10-19-2017 08:22 PM

F*ck! im gonna get in touch with Vleds.com to see if theres a fix for that. Not interested on having the replace DRL warning popping everytime. I'll keep you posted on their reply

JakeF 10-19-2017 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by SkN012 (Post 16116776)
F*ck! im gonna get in touch with Vleds.com to see if theres a fix for that. Not interested on having the replace DRL warning popping everytime. I'll keep you posted on their reply

Yeah, it's probably the most annoying thing I've experienced in a vehicle. Every few minutes 'ding....ding ding..." I think you're gonna have to get some of the resistors but keep but updated on what they say for sure.

echodigital 10-20-2017 09:20 AM

If you are in Canada, I got mine from tdotperformance (PUTCO). I replaced DRL and FOGS. You can check them out here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/fourth-...-953482/page2/

I may only do rear light replacement to LED's. I don't want to add resistors. I have been told by @Christopher Michael that these work well without resistors for signal lights.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-applicatio...it-a-7443.html

Good luck!

dopeboy1 10-20-2017 12:30 PM

They look really nice. Sucks about the drl warning though. I bought the ones I linked from amazon and they should be here by next Friday. Ill post some pics when they are in.

JakeF 10-20-2017 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by dopeboy1 (Post 16117146)
They look really nice. Sucks about the drl warning though. I bought the ones I linked from amazon and they should be here by next Friday. Ill post some pics when they are in.

I should have the resistors in on Monday. I did 2 day shipping lol.