Newbie with a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with a few questions

Hi all,

I joined this forum a couple of days ago and started out with the tsx thread, but soon found out that the ride is stiffer. I have a rav4 v6 sports and i don't like how it is harsh and bumpy on bad roads. I had a camry 98 and loved how the suspension worked very smooth and you don't feel the potholes bumps etc.

I have back problems and I want a comfortable ride for everyday commute as well as long rides.

What do you owners of the TL think about the ride quality. Of course I will test drive but just wanted to know your views. I will be buying a CPO
Old 03-19-2011, 08:23 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by tin369
Hi all,

I joined this forum a couple of days ago and started out with the tsx thread, but soon found out that the ride is stiffer. I have a rav4 v6 sports and i don't like how it is harsh and bumpy on bad roads. I had a camry 98 and loved how the suspension worked very smooth and you don't feel the potholes bumps etc.

I have back problems and I want a comfortable ride for everyday commute as well as long rides.

What do you owners of the TL think about the ride quality. Of course I will test drive but just wanted to know your views. I will be buying a CPO
Welcome to the forum! The ride is sporty.. somewhat stiff but the seats are so nice and very comfortable. I suggest getting out and test driving. No amout of our boasting will replace a test drive. Please check one or 2 out and let us know what you think. I suspect the ride to be smoother than the Rav 4 and on par with the Camry.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
If a comfortable ride is more of a priority than you will probably want the FWD instead of the SH-AWD version which rides stiffer by design. I would also look at the Tech package as the OEM Michelins ride better than the OEM Bridgestones on the base. To me the TL is the perfect blend of comfortable ride/sporty looks/technological advancements for the price.
Old 03-19-2011, 08:55 AM
Instructor

Thumbs up TSX ride..

I recently turned in my 08 TSX, which was a lease, and purchased a 10 TL. The TSX was probably the best vehicle I've had in the past 20 years. Yes, the ride is a little "sporty", but the great seats make up for a bit of the firm suspension. You an tell by the overall attention to detail, and quality, that this car was made in Japan
In 2009 they made the TSX a few inches wider and longer, so the ride is said to be a somewhat smoother. The 09-11 models also weigh 200 lbs. more than my 08, which also helps to smooth the ride. Newer model seats also offer more support.
I do 80% of my driving on the highway, and the TSX was wonderful when it came to handling and excelleration at higher speeds (65-80).
Of course, a TL has a smother ride, but there are times I miss the zippy handling of my TSX ...
Old 03-19-2011, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
If your main concern is ride comfort I would recommend an ES350...

Test drive a fwd TL on your normal commute to see if you like the ride quality.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:51 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by 007Acura

+1 Good advice.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Advanced

thanks guys for the good suggestions and super quick reply. I would test rive both the TL and TSX. And I don't think ES350 would be a contender since it will be too expensive for me. I am looking for CPO 09 and newer models to save some dough.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:02 AM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

+2 If you want a smooth cushy ride, then a Lexus or maybe a Toyota Avalon. The 2012 kind of looks like the Avalon.
Just not my cup of tea.

But definitely the TL FWD as that was a smoother ride than the AWD.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
thats why I wish the advance had the magnetic shocks option
Old 03-19-2011, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the FWD is smooth and quiet, but not at the lexus level yet

the way acuras are built, you WILL feel ALL of the bumps and potholes, that's just the way acuras are built, to be sporty.

I know this feeling you're talking about, the 98 camry was like riding on a cloud. Every bump was deadened well and noise was relatively low. With the FWD TL, you will find that noise levels are very low, it's a quiet car, but the bump absorbtion will be on the "firm" side, and not even close to what your 98 camry was. You will feel every bump and pothole, and firmly. The ES350 has similar noise levels (very quiet), but much better bump absorbtion, and deadens road noise/roar much better.

I'm very sensitive to noise, and while the FWD and SHAWD TL are both quiet on flat roads, both are noisy, busy, jittery (SHAWD) over bumps. Lexus has a different approach which deadens bumps and potholes much better (I may go as far as saying it feels numb). Even my friends Lexus IS250, one of the "noisy" lexus, is MUCH quieter and absorbs all bumps with ease compared to my Base TL.

Prior to my SHAWD and Base TL, i drove an 06 civic sedan, which was softer, but had poor sound deadening. Many of the toyotas and lexus that I have been in are much quieter and have softer/quieter suspension setups. I'm telling you now, you will not find the 98 camry's suspension feel (like how the camry easily goes over bad roads, bumps, and potholes without much noise) in a TL, but the TL will be quieter otherwise.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah def go out and test drive a few of them. I came from a Lexus is350. It was a RWD but it was smooth. The TL I find alot more stiffer even thou mine Is a fwd. However TLs are very fun to drive nice cornering handling for a fwd is very good.
Old 03-19-2011, 06:01 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Yep, it is much like the Camry in ride quality. (Dead quiet).
Old 03-19-2011, 08:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
Perfectly legit question. I think as a passenger you might find the ride different than as a driver. Try and test drive on similar roads to your typical drive to work.

The seats in the Acura TL in my opinion are very comfy so they tend to make the stiffer ride quite good although the headrest could use work.

The ES is a smoother ride in my opinion but not as enjoyable to drive.

So I agree with the above posts - test drive one (don't go as a passenger) and see what you think as only you know what would be best based on your back condition.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:22 AM
Advanced

All god info, I appreciate it. So in essence if I want a sports/luxury sedan, comfort is not the first priority, the ride is.
I was hoping that one of these cars would have the right balance. I have never owned an Acura, but my friend has a MDX and i loved driving it and sitting as a passenger as well because it was comfortable.

With that experience I was hoping that I might get the same with Acura's sedans... and I love how nice their technology is. On a side note when Acura says tech package doe sit mean Nav included in that package?
I hope after test driving these TSX, TL one would at least fit my needs/wants.....
Old 03-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 74 Posts
I think as a passenger you might find it a little rough but the seats are very comfy. I think as the driver you might be OK. If you want a floating on clouds drive you'll probably go ES.

The Tech does include the NAV but not the air conditioned seats.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Hi all,

I have owned numerous Toyota products, Camry's Avalon etc and plenty ofAcura products, CR-V, RDX, numerous TLs and if yo love a Toyota ride you may find Honda rides stiff. Toyota rides are more about isolating the diver from the road when Honda is about letting the driver feel the ride and be part of the driving expierience. While the noraml TL is a more soft ride Iwoudl say it is still more communicative and firmer than any Camry. You have to drive it to see what youthink, but I love Honda rides they are such a great balance of comfort and handling.
Old 03-20-2011, 11:57 AM
lji
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts
A good handling test would be to take the Camry up to 50 mph in a safe area and jerk the steering wheel to the left and right like you would if you had to maneuver around an obstacle. Now do the same with a Honda Accord and you'll see what the slightly stiffer setup does for confidence in accident avoiding situations.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
All god info, I appreciate it. So in essence if I want a sports/luxury sedan, comfort is not the first priority, the ride is.
I was hoping that one of these cars would have the right balance. I have never owned an Acura, but my friend has a MDX and i loved driving it and sitting as a passenger as well because it was comfortable.

With that experience I was hoping that I might get the same with Acura's sedans... and I love how nice their technology is. On a side note when Acura says tech package doe sit mean Nav included in that package?
I hope after test driving these TSX, TL one would at least fit my needs/wants.....
To me the TL IS the right balance between comfort and sport. Lexus is too comfy and Infiniti is too sporty. It's why my last 4 cars have been TL's. Couple it with a great tech package at a reasonable price and you can't go wrong (NAV is included with Tech).