New TL Owner Should I Have Service Done?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 03:52 PM
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New TL Owner Should I Have Service Done?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2010 AWD w/tech a few days ago, it has 63k miles. It appears that it had regular oil changes, but I am not sure if the trans flush, brake fluid flush, coolant flush - pretty much anything that I need to do since it has 60k miles on it. Should I just go by the maintenance minder and wait for the screen to tell me when to get the services done, or should I just put down some money and get it all done even though it may have been done recently?

If I do decide to take care of the 60k items, is there something that I need to do to the maintenance minder to reset it? I would hate for it to pop-up a few thousand miles afterward and tell me to flush the tranny fluid when I just did it - basically, will doing these items throw off the maintenance minder?

I am sure I am going to have a ton more questions - the search tool rocks by BTW. I just couldnt find anything specific to my question.

Thanks
Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
more info..

is this CPO? bought from dealer directly?

mt? auto?
Old 08-13-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 16,266 Likes on 11,974 Posts
If i bought a used car, the first thing I'd do is change all fluids.
just for piece of mind.

and then you could carry on like normal.
Old 08-13-2013, 06:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
change all the fluids, then follow the MID. if the MID flashes for tranny fluid for example 3k miles later....dont' sweat it...just know you did it 3k miles ago.

the MDX i have had a tranny fluid service during CPO...5k miles later it codes for tranny flush. since it already had it done i'll just wait for the MID to tell me again. granted my MDX had 25k miles on it when i got it. brake fluid...an every 3 yr thing. more than likely your new to you car needs to have this done regardless of mileage.
The following users liked this post:
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 07:26 PM
'20 TLX SH-AWD A-Spec

Received 345 Likes on 253 Posts
Do all the fluid changes (as others here have mentioned): engine oil, tranny, diff, transfer case, and brakes. The coolant I think its good for 100-140k(?). Also engine filter and cabin filter. The rest should be good from the factory. Another thing to check is at the dealership they do have a service history of the car, if the car was services at any Acura dealership around North America, so ask what has been done to it. Not only service but also warranty items. I am thinking specifically of the prop shaft bearing mess and the torque converter software recall. All this won't throw off the maintenance minder, you just have to keep track and the dealership will know what to do and what not to do thereafter.
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 10:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
I recommend:
- Change Oil / filter.
- Drain and refill Trans fluid w/ Honda or Acura fluid only.
- Change trans filter (yes there is one). Filter=25450-P4V-013; O-ring=91305-PN4-003.
- Drain and refill front Trans transfer case w/ gear oil. (SH-AWD)
- Drain and refill rear trans-axle w/ recommenced Acura fluid. (SH-AWD)
- Engine air filter
- A/C cabin filter. (You'd be surprised how dirty they get).
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I did not buy it from an Acura dealer and it is not CPO. It is an automatic as well.

The dealership that I bought it from did not change any maintenance to it from what I was told. I need to get the manual from my wife to see if the maintenance sheets were filled out and if there is a contact number or something, this would be the only way I could research maintenance any further I would think. My wife is currently our of state so I dont have the book on me. :/ The car does say that it has 60% oil life left.

I have a few more questions, but first...the closest Acura dealer is two hours away (I live in Maine and there isnt a dealership in Maine). I am wondering if the Honda service dept near me could do all of this work? I contacted them on Monday and the lady I spoke with said they worked on them and quickly went through a list of things that is recommended since the car has 60k miles. I need to call her back and get a list, but I believe she listed most of the items everyone hit on above - maybe not the brake flush.

I typically do all the work - with help from family, to my wife's Accord and to the Celica that I got rid of, but as part of the extended warranty (that I prob should have passed on since it doesnt cover electrical) it states that a receipt of the service work (specifically oil changes) must be kept on file and it has to be completed by a garage, not by me. So this kinda sucks, but isnt an end game for me at all. I would probably do the air filters on my own.

Tonyware (and others) you mentioned checking on warranty items - would this be something that any Acura dealer would be able to look up for me? Possibly by entering the VIN of the car to see if this work was performed? Or would I actually have to take it to an Acura dealer to check it over to be sure the work was done? If the work was not done, I am thinking its something that I will have to pay for?

I know Reorge mentioned some of the preferred fluids to use to replace the existing - what is everyone's thoughts on oil/filter brands? Should I go synthetic?

I appreciate all the comments!
Old 08-14-2013, 07:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase! As far as oil/filter go I would definitely go synthetic for peace of mind if nothing else. My 2010/Tech's MID tells me I need an oil change about every 8000 miles. This is not uncommon for newer vehicles and while I follow the MID for changes using synthetic gives me an extra measure of security for the lengthier duration between them. Use a good "brand name" for both and you should be good to go!
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Yes, you can go to a honda dealer for maintenance.

You can use any oil you wish as long as it meets Acura standards. The car will not know whether you are using synthetic or regular dino (which is typically a syn blend if done at an Acura dealer).

The only way to "warranty work" of which i'm not sure you are referring is asking the dealer tha performed the work to give you that info with the VIN in their system. This info is not shared between dealers. This may pertain to TSBs that are out for the car if the problem exists or any other little or big annoyance that crops up within the warranty period. If you are referring to "recalls" then any acura dealer can look that info up for you for a specific VIN.

Whatever you do don't ever ask for a "60k mile service" (dealer will nail you with some overblown price tag). ask for each item individually (which will be cheaper than the pkg deal-add in any coupons you find on the dealer website and you save a few more bucks). most places will do a courtesy inspection anyway for free. plus there really is no such thing as a mileage interval for maintenance for the car. the MID tells you most of the items that need to be done based on your driving style and conditions.
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:08 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Eric, if the car was serviced by HMCo all you need for service records is the VIN number. If they took it to a "Jiffy, Minute or Pep-Boys" lube center, you are SOL.

Should have also asked for a CarFox.
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:15 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Flush the fluids. Brake pads may be over kill but it'll feel like brand new. Check the hoses and depending on driving style you may or may not want to replace that.
EricG (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:38 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Eric, if the car was serviced by HMCo all you need for service records is the VIN number. If they took it to a "Jiffy, Minute or Pep-Boys" lube center, you are SOL.

Should have also asked for a CarFox.
I actually viewed the carfax online, kick myself in the ass for not getting a hard copy of it. I do remember seeing oil changes on it, but dont remember the specifics. So I am assuming if oil changes (and maybe some other items) are on the carfax that the information was recorded by VIN?

I am going to call the dealer and see if I can get a hardcopy of it.

TLtrigirl - When I called the Honda dealer on Monday they did give me the pricing for the 60k service. I know the price was $550 and appeared to include most, if not all, of the items listed. I will see if I can verify that though. I assume they could send me an itemized price sheet as well.
Mr Marco (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:28 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

oil change $30 ($40-45 at Acura), $70 for synth.
tranny fluid $70-80 (at honda), $120 at Ac
brake fluid $100, $140-150 at Ac
courtesy inspection
differential (SHAWD) $70-80, $100 at Ac
coolant is good until 100-110k mi.
cabin and air filters and DIY $35-40

bear in mind i'm quoting closer to honda pricing over acura pricing (labor rates are different). we have an accord in our household that is a dealer service queen like my acuras. based on my estimates it adds up to less than $550.

specifically, ask for oil change, brake fluid flush, tranny drain and fill, differential if needed (SHAWD), and go to the parts counter (or order online) for filters.

the so called A service at Acura is $120. ask for an oil change (which IS the A service) it's $45 tops or $70 for synthetic or $24 for labor you bring the oil and filter. you also get your courtesy inspection. i've seen coupons for an oil change from our local honda dealer for as low as $20.

now if you want them to "inspect" all of the items in the 60k service and subsequently pay an obscene amount of money for them to do it for peace of mind then go for it. a lot of those items are on the courtesy inspection. up to you. i always itemize what the MID tells me vs tell the dealer what the MID says like A1, B23 , etc. the price difference is ridiculous. if you don't know any better (which most won't), they just tell the SA "oh it's due for a A123." $4-500 later...knowledge is power when going to the dealer service dept. plus if you plan to frequent there regularly with your car...make nice nice and they will hopefully reciprocate that to you for your loyalty.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
tranny fluid $70-80 (at honda), $120 at Ac
make nice nice and they will hopefully reciprocate that to you for your loyalty.
Tranny 4X3 is $199 at my dealer. Hence the reason I started doing it at home.

My service guy is nice, but since we only come in for free LOF, the parts guy is better.

Honestly Eric, with that many miles you might as well just take it to an experienced Honda Mech. Pay less and get the same service.