New TL owner observation of other TL owners.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
New TL owner observation of other TL owners.

Not sure if this is just me or if this is common with other TL owners here.

So far I have had 4 now, 3G and 4G TL drivers try to instigate races with me. Maybe its Chicago land? The now nicer weather? Really though, A stock looking 4G TL SH trying to race another (mine) stock looking 4G TL SH? Makes no sense at all. Getting kinda annoying.

I drive fast. 5-10 over wherever I'm going. Bad habit yes, but I am not launching the car. Weaving in and out like some 19year old in a Mazda 6 with a fetus shooter muffler.

Last night some clown in a white lowered 3TL-S was sitting in my blind spot and doing quick pulls over and over again next to me. I seriously just wanted to pull him out through his rear window, since that's how far back he was leaning. "All cool like"

Years of modded Lexus cars... never came across this phenomenon. Wondering if its just "my luck" or if others are seeing this too.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i had a guy in a modded civic try to "race" me in the 4G SHAWD loaner i had about a month ago. i didn't even do anything to provoke him. i drove off from the light driving normally (no pedal stomping) when it turned green, he was in the other lane trying to keep up with me. i just happened to get to 40 mph faster than he did and stayed there. he kept lunging trying to start something and i kept ignoring him. i mean really?! i'm in a dealer loaner!

not sure. i never have these kind of issues in my 3G.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I never had any issue like that in DC metro area with my Tl. However I get the racer folks all the time in my Miata. I expect it, because of all the exhaust and intake noise going on. The chrome wheels don't help either.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM
Pro

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts
I havnt ever had anyone try and race me in my TL. Whats funny is when I owned my SRT8 the rice mobiles use to always try to race me. I never would as there was no point of destroying a civic or something to waste about $5.00 in gas.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Had a new gen GS 350 traying to race me on the bronx river pkwy, I was going from one exit to the next and I just didn't pay him any mind. He just kept accelerating his car next to mine and I looked at him like come on man grow up.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:20 PM
Drifting

Received 672 Likes on 542 Posts
Lol,as the weather warms up people tend to go a little crazy,i do enjoy pulling the car sometimes but have no intrest in racing anyone, most of the time i just cruise,listen to music and chill since i like to arrive at my destination in a good mood.
The following users liked this post:
djtanveer (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
The first or second week I owned my car a guy in a TLS with a modded exhaust pulled up alongside me on the freeway trying to initiate something. I just waved at him and he moved along.

I have encountered the occasional BMW or Audi owner trying to play games. It really pissed off an A6 guy recently when I dropped him on the freeway cloverleaf. When he finally got his car up to speed he roared around me doing about 80+ then zipped in front of me. I just loafed along at 65.
Old 03-29-2013, 04:06 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Damn aggressive TL owners......
djtanveer (03-30-2013)
Old 03-29-2013, 07:04 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
A lot of the 3G's are in the hands of younger kids now, so I'm guessing you'll see a lot of that from at least that demographic.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:15 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
I admit whenever I see a 911 on the freeway I try to race it, only to find myself staring at its exhausts...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have a 3G TL and I'm almost 47, so I pretty much drive like an old man (maybe because I am one).

However, I get the occasional types who drive Infinitis (especially those) or older Altimas or Camrys who like to pull stunts like cutting in front of me on the highway without signaling (although they do for everyone else) or trying to pass me up in heavy urban traffic just to... pass me up. Whatever.

The Infiniti drivers are the worst, IMO. However, what they're trying to prove, I have no idea. I'm perfectly happy with my Acura and have nothing to prove to anyone. But I guess clowns like these are all over the place.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Since you mentioned infiniti drivers are the worst, I'll say it takes all types to do stupid boneheaded stunts that put I other drivers at risk. I drive like an old fart, but young drivers with in an ellps, including Acuras seem to want to prove something.

The other day a lowered very loud older rsx(?) cut me off. The roads near work are horrible, this car was so low it kept bottoming out at 60 and making sparks when the suspension hit the road. Car finally slowed down to 40 in the left lane in a 55 zone. So I zipped around it.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Only 1 encounter here in Los Angeles. A guy in a TL 3.5 non-tech was swerving in and out of traffic. He heard my cut outs and decided I was tryingto out maneuver him. He had new plates and was in his late 20's, probably learning about his new car. Most of the time out here I see either young cute girls driving TL's or the more mature crowd.

I do however see older Honda and Acura models try to provoke races, more forego than fun, but sometimes that too. But maybe I can shed some light on same brand "ego". Cars are a representation in a way, but perceived by people differently. When I had my 05' S4 I would get all kinds of Audi's from A3's to Q7's try to "pull on me" when I was approaching their cars. I have no explanation for this but I tend to drive faster than the limit.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Exhaust on the silver 4G got a lot of negative attention, usually on local roads. Normally I wouldn't think twice about clowning an erratic cab driver in a Camry, towncar, the occasional "I think my 328i is fast" motorist, or anyone else for that matter from light to light. On highways I couldn't be bothered and ignored whoever tried to line up with me except for some chic in a genesis coupe driving like an idiot, weaving in an out of traffic. For all her troubles and effort to get past traffic she couldn't get further than me staying in the left lane at a consistent pace going 60. Eventually traffic opened up I saw her intentions to speed up, narrowing cut me off from the middle to the left lane so I floored it... God do I miss that sound, got well over a 100, leaving her seeing taillights. I drop back down to 60 a few seconds later and she passed me a short while later she passed me a more humble driver, going a respectable 65 hahaha.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:00 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Originally Posted by es466
I have a 3G TL and I'm almost 47, so I pretty much drive like an old man (maybe because I am one).

However, I get the occasional types who drive Infinitis (especially those) or older Altimas or Camrys who like to pull stunts like cutting in front of me on the highway without signaling (although they do for everyone else) or trying to pass me up in heavy urban traffic just to... pass me up. Whatever.

The Infiniti drivers are the worst, IMO. However, what they're trying to prove, I have no idea. I'm perfectly happy with my Acura and have nothing to prove to anyone. But I guess clowns like these are all over the place.
Could it be that you notice the Infiniti guys more? I think that may be the case.

I've noticed idiots come in all shapes and cars.
es466 (04-01-2013)
Old 03-30-2013, 11:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by HeartTLs
Exhaust on the silver 4G got a lot of negative attention, usually on local roads. Normally I wouldn't think twice about clowning an erratic cab driver in a Camry, towncar, the occasional "I think my 328i is fast" motorist, or anyone else for that matter from light to light. On highways I couldn't be bothered and ignored whoever tried to line up with me except for some chic in a genesis coupe driving like an idiot, weaving in an out of traffic. For all her troubles and effort to get past traffic she couldn't get further than me staying in the left lane at a consistent pace going 60. Eventually traffic opened up I saw her intentions to speed up, narrowing cut me off from the middle to the left lane so I floored it... God do I miss that sound, got well over a 100, leaving her seeing taillights. I drop back down to 60 a few seconds later and she passed me a short while later she passed me a more humble driver, going a respectable 65 hahaha.
Did you ever get a speeding ticket? With the NYPD having all sorts of stealth cars these days, trying to prove something on the road could get you a ticket from a cop in a Camry.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JM2010 SH-AWD
The first or second week I owned my car a guy in a TLS with a modded exhaust pulled up alongside me on the freeway trying to initiate something. I just waved at him and he moved along.

I have encountered the occasional BMW or Audi owner trying to play games. It really pissed off an A6 guy recently when I dropped him on the freeway cloverleaf. When he finally got his car up to speed he roared around me doing about 80+ then zipped in front of me. I just loafed along at 65.
Never had a TL try to play games with me. I am on the freeway 5 days a week in Delaware/Pa.
Only problems I have had have been with BMW drivers playing games like they want to race me. Maybe it was the same person now that I think about it!
Old 03-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Originally Posted by Arcelyte

Last night some clown in a white lowered 3TL-S was sitting in my blind spot and doing quick pulls over and over again next to me. I seriously just wanted to pull him out through his rear window, since that's how far back he was leaning. "All cool like"
I get the same feeling when I see these types.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:42 PM
Advanced

Tonight in Milwaukee some TL-S clown on the highway shot from the far left to get behind me then only to pass me again on the left. Not sure what was going through his head.

If you wanted me to acknowledge you have a TL-S. I did. Yay you. You didn't look like a total tool at all...
Old 03-30-2013, 09:40 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Never IIRC by a TL when I had the TL. Once by a TL against the 335is. Remember that because I had come off break-in a week earlier. Once by a 4G lowered & blacked out with a big label on his windshield.

That is a spread of about 8 years. Its interesting because when the 3G was in production it was Acura Central here so you would have thought there would be a bit of competition.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-30-2013 at 09:43 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Did you ever get a speeding ticket? With the NYPD having all sorts of stealth cars these days, trying to prove something on the road could get you a ticket from a cop in a Camry.
Their stealth cars/suv's aren't very stealthy to the trained eye. Sneakiest ride they have are yellow cabs; although I have seen undercovers in black 4G TL's, but not necessarily patrolling an area. I've been pulled over a few times for exhaust noise and/or tints but not for speeding. I haven't gotten a speeding ticket in 5 years and aim to keep the streak going.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
A lot of the 3G's are in the hands of younger kids now, so I'm guessing you'll see a lot of that from at least that demographic.
^This

I've noticed a rather annoying amount of 3G and early 4G TL's in my community the past few weeks. Figured a bunch most be coming off lease or they're running some great deals, but most look to be late teens, early 20's drivers, doing stupid things. I watched one guy pass on the right the other day on a gravel shoulder at probably 30mph or better, can only imagine the body damage he caused himself and the rocks he'll have rattling in his wheels for the next week.

For the better part of a year the only 4G TL I ran into besides my own was a FWD White driven by an attractive woman I'd guess in her 30's. We wave when we pass each other. I enjoy being easy to pick out, I have 30% tint, painted front grill and roof spoiler
Old 03-31-2013, 10:27 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
^This

I've noticed a rather annoying amount of 3G and early 4G TL's in my community the past few weeks. Figured a bunch most be coming off lease or they're running some great deals, but most look to be late teens, early 20's drivers, doing stupid things. I watched one guy pass on the right the other day on a gravel shoulder at probably 30mph or better, can only imagine the body damage he caused himself and the rocks he'll have rattling in his wheels for the next week.

For the better part of a year the only 4G TL I ran into besides my own was a FWD White driven by an attractive woman I'd guess in her 30's. We wave when we pass each other. I enjoy being easy to pick out, I have 30% tint, painted front grill and roof spoiler
Go down Kirk Road much? You just described a car I pass on the way to work a lot.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stay far away from those clowns that cut in and out of traffic, and even worse those uber fast motorcycles that drive in the medians or anywhere else putting everyones life in jeopardy.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:15 AM
Suzuka Master

Among cars that can move out the 335 has moved well into the 2nd/3rd hand demographic. Lots of teens just learning to drive that actually think they can drive better than anyone else.....bad mix with a lot of power.

The demo list & "kill" posts at E90post is getting scary.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Among cars that can move out the 335 has moved well into the 2nd/3rd hand demographic. Lots of teens just learning to drive that actually think they can drive better than anyone else.....bad mix with a lot of power.

The demo list & "kill" posts at E90post is getting scary.
I would add the Subaru Impreza WRX to the mix. Relatively cheap, lightweight, and uber powerful, I've had salesman tell me Dads buy these "toys" for their son's as their first car. Not a good idea IMHO.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:09 PM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Believe it or not I can't remember the last time I had another TL owner 3G or 4G try to race me in any of my cars.

In my experience some of the worst offenders are the Civic Si, Mustang, Charger, Jeep SRT8 and the occasional kid in a 3 series. And let’s not forget the Minivan Mom aka Stoplight Warrior..

But the absolute worst (and I don’t mean to offend anyone) are the Maxima and Altima drivers. Not all, but 85% of the one's I come across are super aggressive fools.

They antagonize, try pull you from lights, tailgate and even in moderate to heavy traffic on the highway they are moving in and out cutting people off.

It could be a 4 or 6 cylinder, guy or girl driving, these people drive like lunatics. i have also noticed that it doesn't matter if the car is clean with mods or just a beater they all drive the same way.

Forget my TL, these fools even try to get me to run when I’m in my CTS-V, I mean seriously they must have rocks in their heads.
es466 (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by docboy
I would add the Subaru Impreza WRX to the mix. Relatively cheap, lightweight, and uber powerful, I've had salesman tell me Dads buy these "toys" for their son's as their first car. Not a good idea IMHO.
Agree, We got the Xterra for my grandson & will get a Pilot for my granddaughter this summer. Both are inside the family buys.

That being said we put Chris through the BMW 2 day driving school at the Performance Center in SC last year. He will get a refresher when we pick up the 135is later this week.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Agree, We got the Xterra for my grandson & will get a Pilot for my granddaughter this summer. Both are inside the family buys.

That being said we put Chris through the BMW 2 day driving school at the Performance Center in SC last year. He will get a refresher when we pick up the 135is later this week.
Xterra and Pilot are solid choices. Practical, reliable, and relatively cheap to maintain.

Driving school is a bonus if one can swing it. I would even go so far as say that performance school should be mandated, or at least serve as potential credit or discount on auto insurance.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
I admit whenever I see a 911 on the freeway I try to race it, only to find myself staring at its exhausts...
Really miss my 911. Got offers to race at every other stop light. Didn't loose one single accepted challenge.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:36 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Only once has another car tried to drag me since getting the TL 2 years ago. It was some kid in a 3series BMW. I slowly accelerated to the speed limit, and then he slowed down, matched me, and kept surging ahead trying to get me to race. I kept cruising at 35 and he started honking and pointing at me and the road. What an idiot, I started laughing at him and he finally gave up.

I do see a lot of Subaru WRX owners gun it from the line and then cut me off, but they never try to drag, they just try to pass everyone and weave.

Things were totally different when I had the S2K. People tried to drag race me almost every time I was at the front of a red. They ranged from Porches all the way to 45 year old pick up trucks. I still never participated, I don't understand why people would want to drag on a city street and risk getting a very expensive ticket, wrecking their car, or injuring someone. Yes, its fun to accelerate fast, but to try and race, not worth the risk. We do have a legal drag strip where you can pay a fee and race legally.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 151 Likes on 145 Posts
I would have to agree that more young people are buying TLs now due to their affordability. Granted I am young too but I never drive like a "kid". In my 3g I always got the occasional civic or Integra trying to race but I never paid any mind to it. Its weird now that I have an S4 no trys to race. If I do its a younger person in a 328i or C300, I don't even bother wasting my gas and stooping to their level. But then again I never really drive fast, the only time I do is through winding roads because this car handles like no other.
Old 04-01-2013, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
Really miss my 911. Got offers to race at every other stop light. Didn't loose one single accepted challenge.
How come you don't have the 911 anymore?
Old 04-01-2013, 05:37 PM
Chief Excellence Liason

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Well it wasn't a TL, but on friday I was on the freeway going a solid 80 or so in the carpool lane with a few car lengths between me and the next guy in front of me, when suddenly this guy in a BMW starts riding my ass like a death row inmate, flashing his brights all aggro-like. He wasn't backing off and I was already well over the speed limit as it was, so I ended up gradually slowing down to about 45-50ish before he finally got the hint and put some space between us.

Generally I don't just hang around in the fast lane going obnoxiously slow, but this guy was just begging to be trolled. The dumb part was that there was no shortage of passing space in the adjacent lanes, very little traffic, and he seemed to rage the hardest when he had ample opportunity to just pick another lane.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by FireAtWill
The dumb part was that there was no shortage of passing space in the adjacent lanes, very little traffic, and he seemed to rage the hardest when he had ample opportunity to just pick another lane.
If you were in the fast lane & there was room in the other lanes why didn't you just move over & let him by?
weather (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a Saturn Ion redline try to race me the other night... but I would not call that a race.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
try driving around in a Vette...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
I owned a lowered, modded, NSX on BBS LM's for a few years and didn't have the stupid pissing contest interaction I'm seeing with this TL.

Its got to be my luck or just the massive amount of insecure car-tools around my hood.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:45 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Originally Posted by NwTSXmt
OMG so true!!!

I had a 6MT Grand Sport before I got the CTS-V and there was never a time when I had it out that someone didn’t tailgate me.

It didn’t matter, from cars to pick-up trucks, to minivans there was always someone on my a$$ or wanting to race.

It was impossible to take a calm cruise without some idiot egging you on. I assume you've experienced the same?

BTW I see your avatar pic is an LS7 so I assume you have a Z06, beautiful car…
Old 04-02-2013, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
How come you don't have the 911 anymore?
That was the most expensive adventure in my car ownership EVER. The POS kept breaking down and I could foresee another $3000 worth of repairs/upgrades in the future. So I traded it on a Mazdaspeed 6, that NEVER needed anything more than filters and fluids.