New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:39 AM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Hey,

I just got my 2010 SH-AWD in Manual Transmission - I am in LOVE!
Few questions since I'm still in the learning phase:

1) Are there any features that one may not expect from owning the car for just a few days? eg. opening all the windows/sunroof using the key fob, or adjusting wallpaper

2) maybe too early for this, but anyone know what the limiter is set to for Canadians? haha

In regards to
1) what is this wallpaper feature good for?! I never see it pop up anywhere. I've changed my wallpaper photo, but it does not show up in any menu or even when the car starts... am I missing something?

Also, just discovered all the functionality associated with the trip computer, fuel consumption, average speed/consumption, etc. - good stuff!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-12-2014 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-03-2014, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
Congrats on your purchase. Nice transmission choice too! Wallpaper is actually a screensaver. If you do not hit the OK or Enter button for the nav on startup; it will show your photo. Also, for key fob I believe if you hit the unlock button twice and hold it it will roll down all the windows. Never done it before but that's what I read lol. Not sure about the limiter.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:38 AM
Touge Chaser

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Congrats!!

Wallpaper: is a screen saver. If you want it up while your driving there is a setting from the wallpaper menu.

Key fob: Double click unlock and hold. All windows and sunroof will open.
The following users liked this post:
liquidneon (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 AM
Instructor

Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Yeah, you can push the unlock button release and push again while holding to roll down all the windows while opening the sunroof. Have to continue holding because once you let the button go the stop moving

You can also put the key in the door , turn and hold in either direction. If held in the lock position it will roll up all windows and close the sunroof, in unlock position it's like using key fob opening everything. Most never take the key out of there pocket but the features are there.
liquidneon (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:25 AM
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
^^^ right on the nose.. also to do a reverse and roll the windows back up you have remove the key from the fob place the key into the door turn it i think left or right hold it in that left or right position and the windows will roll back upwards
liquidneon (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 10:29 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by dirtyo2000
You can also put the key in the door , turn and hold in either direction. If held in the lock position it will roll up all windows and close the sunroof, in unlock position it's like using key fob opening everything. Most never take the key out of there pocket but the features are there.
Oooooh good to know! Thanks.
I've used the key fob to remotely open windows/sunroof using the unlock key... but trying to CLOSE them with the key fob remotely does NOT work.
It does CLOSE them though if the key physically in the door? Seems weird.

waait a sec... you also said "most never take the key out of their pocket" ... can I unlock the door without the key fob by just being in proximity???

I can LOCK it by pushing the black button on the door... can I unlock somehow?

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-12-2014 at 07:03 PM.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 AM
Instructor

Yes, there are sensors in the door handle. With the car locked and key in your pocket just place your hand in the door handle area. Pause a second and you'll hear the car unlock and a beep if you have it on. Then just open the door. If you just grab the handle it will still be locked, just a slight pause. No need to take the key out.

You can also push the button on the trunk spoiler to open the truck without taking the key out of your pocket. I haven't taken my key out in the last few years lol. Throw it in my pocket and that's where it stays
liquidneon (06-04-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:25 AM
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts
Congrats on your new acquisition, some pictures?
Drive safe
Old 06-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Racer

Just tried it out - amazing! Thanks for the tips, guys. If you have any other cool features you can tell me about, I'd love to hear it!

Photo shoot will hopefully go down this weekend. Haven't had time and need to give her a good scrub!
Old 06-03-2014, 02:26 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congratulations!!! I just picked up my TL a week ago and couldn't be happier. Driving even in traffic is suddenly much more enjoyable.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:45 PM
Instructor

There's this crazy thing in the glove compartment. You open it up and there are pictures and lots of letters. Actually explains what features and functions the car has and how they work
Old 06-04-2014, 06:24 AM
Racer

There's this crazy thing in the glove compartment. You open it up and there are pictures and lots of letters. Actually explains what features and functions the car has and how they work
yeah, I'll be sure to read it cover to cover like everyone else does
Old 06-04-2014, 06:45 AM
JT4
CTSV,TL, Audi Q7 & A5SB

Received 599 Likes on 454 Posts
Good luck with the TL....
Old 06-04-2014, 07:25 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 96 Likes on 75 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your purchase!
liquidneon (06-05-2014)
Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 PM
Instructor

Gives you something to do in your spare time. Plus if you read the navigation manual you'll learn how to control the voice where it will announce street names instead of just saying right turn ahead. There's a lot of features that you'll discover in the book
liquidneon (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:50 PM
Still a Noob!

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
You can adjust reverse cam brightness by putting car in reverse and when there's a picture on screen. Twist the big knob.
liquidneon (06-05-2014)
Old 06-05-2014, 01:57 PM
Racer

Awesome - great new tips! Thanks guys. Hope to find some more!

Anyone have it in manual transmission? I wonder what major differences there are apart from the gearbox. Only one I've noticed so far is the Uphill Assist (neat, but mostly for rookies).

Last night I got a little too aggressive and accelerated (revving it well past the red line) a litttttttttle too hard... had a super hot babe next to me in an older M3. Seems like there was some sort of protection against this happening lol.. didn't quite let me be as stupid as I intended to be...
Old 06-05-2014, 05:39 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Gives you something to do in your spare time. Plus if you read the navigation manual you'll learn how to control the voice where it will announce street names instead of just saying right turn ahead. There's a lot of features that you'll discover in the book
I was not aware that you could have the street names spoken as they occur. How do you set that up?
Old 06-05-2014, 09:29 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by RenoTL
I was not aware that you could have the street names spoken as they occur. How do you set that up?
It's in the book lol. You have to have the car in park to access the navigation audio screen. It's the one where you adjust voice volume and music mute when navigation interrupts. At the bottom it had turn by turn guidance. You can adjust it for street name or next turn. It's cool because crazy street names have you laughing and in searches it announces the item picked.
The following 2 users liked this post by dirtyo2000:
liquidneon (06-06-2014), LNJ (06-07-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 12:25 PM
LNJ
Racer

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts
It's in the book lol. You have to have the car in park to access the navigation audio screen. It's the one where you adjust voice volume and music mute when navigation interrupts. At the bottom it had turn by turn guidance. You can adjust it for street name or next turn. It's cool because crazy street names have you laughing and in searches it announces the item picked.
Is this only for the American models? I can't see the option for a Canadian 2012 SH-AWD.
Old 06-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Racer

Thanks. I guess I missed this even though I keep a copy of both manuals on my iPad and review them often. Since the Navigation manual is 174 pages long, for those that are interested, this feature can be found on page 109. Click on the INFO button | Select Set Up | Select the Other menu | Select the Routing & Guidance choice | Select the Street Name Guidance choice | change this option to ON.
The following 2 users liked this post by RenoTL:
jterp7 (06-17-2014), liquidneon (06-09-2014)
Old 06-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Instructor

Sounds right. Your the man. I haven't looked through the book in a while but blow through the screens with no problems.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:01 AM
Racer

You can also push the button on the trunk spoiler to open the truck without taking the key out of your pocket. I haven't taken my key out in the last few years lol. Throw it in my pocket and that's where it stays
I haven't even seen a trunk button yet lol. I will have to investigate further.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:04 AM
rock the block

Received 143 Likes on 116 Posts
congratulations on your new ride!
Old 06-09-2014, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by liquidneon
Awesome - great new tips! Thanks guys. Hope to find some more!

Anyone have it in manual transmission? I wonder what major differences there are apart from the gearbox. Only one I've noticed so far is the Uphill Assist (neat, but mostly for rookies).

Last night I got a little too aggressive and accelerated (revving it well past the red line) a litttttttttle too hard... had a super hot babe next to me in an older M3. Seems like there was some sort of protection against this happening lol.. didn't quite let me be as stupid as I intended to be...
I also have the manual transmission. I don't know of any differences other than the basics (5AT vs 6MT, cluster-no P/N/D, physical parts-shifter/linkage/trans). Top speeds may be different but I'm not sure about that.

You hit the rev limiter/fuel cut (hits 200rpms above redline, so 6900 in this case). Not a big deal, engine cuts fuel so you don't over rev it.
liquidneon (06-10-2014)
Old 06-10-2014, 07:01 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
You hit the rev limiter/fuel cut (hits 200rpms above redline, so 6900 in this case). Not a big deal, engine cuts fuel so you don't over rev it.
Yes, that's exactly what happened - scared the shit out of me haha
Basically it felt like the gas pedal just dropped to the floor after I was deep into the red. Good to know it protects me like that from my own stupidity when the adrenaline is flowing a bit too high. Seems like no issues (thank god).
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by lift3d_
congratulations on your new ride!
Any pics of your ride? Those are the rims I was considering should I have gotten anything other than the 2010 SH-AWD tech (only stock TL rims I am fond of).

RE: Trip computer.
I've only filled up once thus far, but I think the trip/mileage meter reset to zero on Trip A. Is this accurate? (on my old cars I'd always have to reset the trip meter after filling up to see what kind of range I got out of one tank).

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-12-2014 at 07:02 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-10-2014, 07:45 AM
rock the block

Any pics of your ride? Those are the rims I was considering should I have gotten anything other than the 2010 SH-AWD tech (only stock TL rims I am fond of).
I'm well overdue on posting some photos of my car, hoping to do soon, maybe this weekend. Gotta detail her first. In the meantime, feel free to check out Matt's TL progress thread, he has the same rims in the same finish as I do.
Old 06-10-2014, 08:32 AM
Racer

Thanks. I guess I missed this even though I keep a copy of both manuals on my iPad and review them often. Since the Navigation manual is 174 pages long, for those that are interested, this feature can be found on page 109. Click on the INFO button | Select Set Up | Select the Other menu | Select the Routing & Guidance choice | Select the Street Name Guidance choice | change this option to ON.
Where can I find a PDF of the manual? I didn't see it in the MyAcura login portal.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Instructor

Received 76 Likes on 46 Posts
Yes, that's exactly what happened - scared the shit out of me haha
Basically it felt like the gas pedal just dropped to the floor after I was deep into the red. Good to know it protects me like that from my own stupidity when the adrenaline is flowing a bit too high. Seems like no issues (thank god).
Yeah no issues. The only way to over rev the engine is by shifting into the wrong gear. For example redlining 4th gear about to go into 5th and you accidentally go back into 3rd. The RPM's will climb so fast that the fuel cut won't save the engine from spinning too fast. You could make piston to head/valve contact or it could brake some parts.

RE: Trip computer.
I've only filled up once thus far, but I think the trip/mileage meter reset to zero on Trip A. Is this accurate? (on my old cars I'd always have to reset the trip meter after filling up to see what kind of range I got out of one tank).
Trip A automatically resets after you fill up with gas (even if its not a full tank). There is a way to change this from resetting every time (but I like it to get reset as 99% of the time I fill up completely).
liquidneon (06-11-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:57 AM
Racer

Where can I find a PDF of the manual? I didn't see it in the MyAcura login portal.
I found the PDFs of the manuals on the ACURA Owner's site. After you login, click on the "Owner's Manuals & Warranty" button inside the "Managing YOUR CAR" section on the right-hand side of the page. Next click on the View all 2010 TL Owner's Manuals & Guides link. (Of course your car year may be different.) Then click on both of the 2010 TL Navigation Manual and 2010 TL Owner's Manual links. Each of these will open in a new tab/window. These are large files so it may take some time to download and open each of the PDF files. Once downloaded, you can save the file to your computer. For the iPad, I have the Acrobat Reader app so once each of the files were downloaded I used the "Open with..." command and choose Acrobat Reader. This then saves the file to the iPad so you can view it anytime.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Skier4lyfe303
Yeah no issues. The only way to over rev the engine is by shifting into the wrong gear. For example redlining 4th gear about to go into 5th and you accidentally go back into 3rd. The RPM's will climb so fast that the fuel cut won't save the engine from spinning too fast. You could make piston to head/valve contact or it could brake some parts.
Thanks - that's what i suspected. dropping a gear is probably the only way to do serious damage. a friend of mine did it to his RSX a few years back.

I found the PDFs of the manuals on the ACURA Owner's site. After you login, click on the "Owner's Manuals & Warranty" button inside the "Managing YOUR CAR" section on the right-hand side of the page. Next click on the View all 2010 TL Owner's Manuals & Guides link. (Of course your car year may be different.) Then click on both of the 2010 TL Navigation Manual and 2010 TL Owner's Manual links. Each of these will open in a new tab/window. These are large files so it may take some time to download and open each of the PDF files. Once downloaded, you can save the file to your computer. For the iPad, I have the Acrobat Reader app so once each of the files were downloaded I used the "Open with..." command and choose Acrobat Reader. This then saves the file to the iPad so you can view it anytime.
Thanks. I was on the Canadian owners site, and it's definitely not on there. I'm hoping there are no significant differences (esp since my car was made in USA).

Last edited by Steven Bell; 06-12-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 06-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Congrats on your new ride. Welcome to AcuraZine.
liquidneon (06-13-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 10:09 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Welcome To Acurazine! Nice pick up
Pics please
liquidneon (06-13-2014)
Old 06-15-2014, 07:04 AM
Darko

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just got my TL 3 months ago and if you like mods this forum has some great stuff if you have time. Enjoy
liquidneon (06-16-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 07:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ej6sliver
Welcome To Acurazine! Nice pick up
Pics please
I finally snapped some photos this weekend. What do you guys use for photosharing? I was hoping I can just post them right to the forum, but it wants a URL...
Old 06-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Racer

Here's my girl:
Attached Thumbnails New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD-zine-3-.jpg   New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD-zine-5-.jpg   New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD-zine-4-.jpg   New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD-zine-1-.jpg   New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD-zine-2-.jpg  

Old 06-17-2014, 07:52 AM
Racer

All that is missing is the tints. Still looking for a good place in the west end (Toronto).
Debating between Krown (Lakeshore) and Cobra.

If anyone has any recommendations for a place, or has any experiences with either of these two, please let me know.

Thanks!
Old 06-17-2014, 08:21 AM
rock the block

nice photos! lucky you already got the aero kit too
liquidneon (06-17-2014)
Old 06-17-2014, 08:46 AM
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
its laughable how this isn't default on, guess people didn't like it interrupting their music?

Quick Reply: New owner of a 2010 TL SH-AWD