Never bought from dealership before

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2013, 12:57 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Never bought from dealership before

I'm about to buy a 4G TL from an Acura dealership and I've never bought from a dealer before.

What kind of extras should I expect to be sold on? Any advice or tips on how to make the experience as painless as possible?
Old 06-11-2013, 12:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
They will go all out on selling you service plans, extra warranties, Lo-Jack and other things. Just say "No Thanks!"
Old 06-11-2013, 01:08 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Dealerships are never painless experiences.

be ready to sit for a couple of hours discussing pricing.

set expectations up front.
for example: "I would like this car at this price point"
Old 06-11-2013, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
Preparation is key

Come to the table with all your documentation from KBB, Edmunds, Cars.com, whatever you like to use for pricing.

Make sure if you have a trade you know exactly what its worth and don't budge on the price

When they question your research have your smartphone ready to show them exactly what you're seeing.

If you're keeping the car a long time the extended warranty isn't such a bad thing, but you can get them to come down on the price.

Remind them of their competition, you can get up and walk out anytime and head over to the XZXXYYYY dealer and get a better deal

Then, when you're signing the last page, have 2nd thoughts, and get an even better deal.

Put the pressure on them, not the other way around
Old 06-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
All this just brings back memories. Before I go off on a tangent, a good answer for high pressure warranty sales is simply, "If I was buying an unreliable car, maybe, but I'm buying an Acura right?" Stay away. I've done the math, and rarely do you come out ahead buying those.

So anyway, anyone else ever have this theory: every sales writeup form has a pre-printed dollar amount for "documentation/administrative fee". I swear, I think it was $195 for my last car. Ridiculous. My theory is they have a few "versions" of those in the drawer. If you got a great deal on price, out comes the $200 admin fee. If they screwed you, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll pull out the one with $65 preprinted instead. Next time I may look in the drawer to see if I'm right, when they're off chatting with the manager, lol.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
everyone is missing the key thing..

make sure you are already approved by your own credit unit before going.. why go blind.. bring your key weapons.. dont settle with dealer financing.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (06-11-2013)
Old 06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Don't be afraid to walk out. The moment they see you fall in love with a car (doesn't matter which make or model) you are their prey.

Again, don't be afraid to walk out. Stand firm on your price. Everything is negotiable, no matter how small or large. Get a price, and walk out. They'll call you later and ask for your business. I guarantee it.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:29 AM
C8N
Burning Brakes

Received 134 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally Posted by potmilkz
everyone is missing the key thing..

make sure you are already approved by your own credit unit before going.. why go blind.. bring your key weapons.. dont settle with dealer financing.
This is really good advice if one is financing.
Another aspect of where dealers make their money is from financing.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:47 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
There are a few extras you may want, and you can probably get them thrown in. The splash guards and all-weather floor mats, for example, are both really nice to have. My dealership defaults to putting them on all their cars. I had a good deal going and didn't push it but it certainly can work to say "but I don't want those" and see if they throw them in just because they don't want to bother with taking them off the car.
nj2pa2nc (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 08:48 AM
lmc
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Find a competitive similar car and pursue at the same time.let both dealers know you are comparing both cars. Possible model might be the Infinity G series.

Use Truecar.com to get an understanding of price ranges in your city.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:01 AM
shenanigans

Received 65 Likes on 36 Posts
Walk in with a PAL (pre approved loan) from a credit union. That way you dont have to deal with any shenanigans in the finance managers office. He will tell you he can get you a better deal but just say no thanks.

If you have more than 1 Acura dealer in your area email the internet sales guys (all salesmen on one email) and have all the dealers compete for your business. Make them do the work.

If you are a member of USAA they will negotiate the deal for you if the dealer is part of there network of over 4000 dealers. All you have to do is tell them the dealer and VIN of the car you want. My buddy did this when he bought his new Dodge truck and he got a great deal and was only at the dealer for like 30 minutes. Everything was done for him already.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by docboy
Don't be afraid to walk out. The moment they see you fall in love with a car (doesn't matter which make or model) you are their prey.

Again, don't be afraid to walk out. Stand firm on your price. Everything is negotiable, no matter how small or large. Get a price, and walk out. They'll call you later and ask for your business. I guarantee it.
^ this is some of the best advice on this thread.

Remember, these people are not your friends, don't be afraid to step on someone's neck.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:29 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by 07Acuradude
Walk in with a PAL (pre approved loan) from a credit union. That way you dont have to deal with any shenanigans in the finance managers office. He will tell you he can get you a better deal but just say no thanks.

If you have more than 1 Acura dealer in your area email the internet sales guys (all salesmen on one email) and have all the dealers compete for your business. Make them do the work.

If you are a member of USAA they will negotiate the deal for you if the dealer is part of there network of over 4000 dealers. All you have to do is tell them the dealer and VIN of the car you want. My buddy did this when he bought his new Dodge truck and he got a great deal and was only at the dealer for like 30 minutes. Everything was done for him already.
False. Actually in many cases the dealer CAN get you a better interest rate than your credit union. They have a dozen lenders they can go through, verses the credit unions single fixed option.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM
shenanigans

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
False. Actually in many cases the dealer CAN get you a better interest rate than your credit union. They have a dozen lenders they can go through, verses the credit unions single fixed option.
It isnt all about an interest rate. Yes they can get you a better rate but to the average person that doesnt know any better or that doesnt do research, they will get them by adding more months of payments or will throw in extra BS "fees" that arent neccessary.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Again, False information. There are no hidden fees in a good contract. I recommend everyone READ the contract before they sign it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Suzuka Master

A reputable dealer will not slam that sort of stuff on a customer. In fact, the only issue you may face would be an extended warranty. Which, is always a suckers bet.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:16 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts

dealers sometimes over 0% financing including acura.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM
shenanigans

You guys are right. A dealer has never pulled a fast one on a customer buying a new car in the finance department. My bad.
The following 4 users liked this post by 07Acuradude:
hadokenuh (06-12-2013), justnspace (06-12-2013), Sean S Thuok (06-12-2013), Stew4HD (06-12-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 12:51 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
You guys are right. A dealer has never pulled a fast one on a customer buying a new car in the finance department. My bad.
Yes there are dealers that do that but then again they can deal with bsing customers. They lie about their income, their job, etc.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
How then have you bought cars in the past?

Also how have you been a forum member since 2008 and never posted?

Anyway what I would do (and have done) is first lurk around forums like this to see what folks are paying for cars in your area. Then do all of your web-pricing comparisons (carsdirect.com truecar.com, etc.) See if there are any car buying resources like Costco, Auto Club, etc. Then do as much contact with dealer(s) via email as you can and try and deal directly with the internet sales guy.

Then when you finally go in and settle on the deal decide in advance what things you do or do not want that the finance guy or contract guy will try and sell.

Good luck.
Old 06-12-2013, 06:37 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by SeismicGuy

Also how have you been a forum member since 2008 and never posted?

Anyway what I would do (and have done) is first lurk around forums like this to see what folks are paying for cars in your area. Then do all of your web-pricing comparisons (carsdirect.com truecar.com, etc.) See if there are any car buying resources like Costco, Auto Club, etc. Then do as much contact with dealer(s) via email as you can and try and deal directly with the internet sales guy.

Then when you finally go in and settle on the deal decide in advance what things you do or do not want that the finance guy or contract guy will try and sell.

Good luck.
Nice color combo on your 4G.
SeismicGuy (06-13-2013)
Old 06-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
I would re-read all the posts above. There is some really excellent advice given here. You just need to control the negotiations - not the other way around.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffa
All this just brings back memories. Before I go off on a tangent, a good answer for high pressure warranty sales is simply, "If I was buying an unreliable car, maybe, but I'm buying an Acura right?" Stay away. I've done the math, and rarely do you come out ahead buying those.

So anyway, anyone else ever have this theory: every sales writeup form has a pre-printed dollar amount for "documentation/administrative fee". I swear, I think it was $195 for my last car. Ridiculous. My theory is they have a few "versions" of those in the drawer. If you got a great deal on price, out comes the $200 admin fee. If they screwed you, maybe you'll get lucky and they'll pull out the one with $65 preprinted instead. Next time I may look in the drawer to see if I'm right, when they're off chatting with the manager, lol.
Here in GA the admin fees run $599 I immediately count that as part of their profit, and will cap them at $500 over invoice giving them $1100 in profit, although I have gotten some deals at invoice.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:40 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Good refresher, since I'm about to pick up a new 13 advance. Will be the first new vehicle I've bought in about 15 years.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:28 AM
lmc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy

I want to share my Costco experience in the past 45 days. I went that route and the dealer offered me what appeared to be a good price, but once I compared with TrueCar.com and some comments on this forum, I learned that it was not so easy and you should not assume that everything is prenegotiated based on CostCo.

The CostCo discount was around 8.6% in the first showroom floor meeting but in the end I did get almost 15% discount.

As a side note, no one had to get nasty to get a good price. I was open and honest with my salesperson and he was very professional; so it does not have to be adversarial, but it is true that only you can truly look out for you.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:32 AM
lmc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nick_TX_TL
Good refresher, since I'm about to pick up a new 13 advance. Will be the first new vehicle I've bought in about 15 years.
Once again, this is my experience during my purchase in the last week of May 2013.

I expressed interest in the Advance package but indicated that I would settle for the lower price Tech package as the value of features to cost was too high.

In the end, they negotiated more aggressively on the Advanced which I bought (and love). My sales person did admit afterwards that the car had been on the lot for several months which may have encouraged the discounting.

(After the transaction, I learned from this forum that the inside of the driver door will show when the car was manufactured . . . that might be a hint of how long it has been on the lot . . . but that is my speculation.)
Old 06-13-2013, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

I have a question. What if they don't have the model you want on the lot but can get it from an alternate source? Does that kill a lot of your negotiating power, since they have to go through another dealer?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Suzuka Master

I have a question. What if they don't have the model you want on the lot but can get it from an alternate source? Does that kill a lot of your negotiating power, since they have to go through another dealer?
In a way, it does but still worth trying. Are you talking to Sterling McCall?
Old 06-13-2013, 09:47 AM
shenanigans

If another dealer has what you want they can do a dealer swap if the other dealer wants something from there lot to trade it for.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:50 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
In a way, it does but still worth trying. Are you talking to Sterling McCall?
Yeah, just started. Buddy of mine that works there introduced me to the guy. Looking through Group 1 auto and they only have 1 model that I want, Silver Moon/Ebony, but it's in Oklahoma. Trading in an 03 Accord Coupe EX with 109K miles.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Yeah, just started. Buddy of mine that works there introduced me to the guy. Looking through Group 1 auto and they only have 1 model that I want, Silver Moon/Ebony, but it's in Oklahoma. Trading in an 03 Accord Coupe EX with 109K miles.
I got mine from them and had to get the one I wanted from another dealer. I didn't have much leverage to deal because I was buying the first '12 Advanced BWP they had sold and the model was only out a couple of weeks.

Good luck in your dealings. Please stop by parts are and tell RayGina Hi. She's the concierge.

They are good people there
Nick_TX_TL (06-13-2013)
Old 06-13-2013, 10:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
I got mine from them and had to get the one I wanted from another dealer. I didn't have much leverage to deal because I was buying the first '12 Advanced BWP they had sold and the model was only out a couple of weeks.

Good luck in your dealings. Please stop by parts are and tell RayGina Hi. She's the concierge.

They are good people there
Yeah, I know RayGina. I'm hoping with all the deals I should be good for a 13. Especially with a trade in.
I agree, they are good folks over there. I've taken my car there every time it's needed something done.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 AM
Suzuka Master

Well, if they want your biz, they will work with you. Use the info above and shoot for it. They may try and get you to pay transfer/transport costs... a road trip could be in order!

By the way, Hi neighbor!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lmc
I want to share my Costco experience in the past 45 days. I went that route and the dealer offered me what appeared to be a good price, but once I compared with TrueCar.com and some comments on this forum, I learned that it was not so easy and you should not assume that everything is prenegotiated based on CostCo.

The CostCo discount was around 8.6% in the first showroom floor meeting but in the end I did get almost 15% discount.

As a side note, no one had to get nasty to get a good price. I was open and honest with my salesperson and he was very professional; so it does not have to be adversarial, but it is true that only you can truly look out for you.
I agree but just wanted to make the point that there were the "usual" sources to check first just as benchmarks before doing your actual face-to-face final negotiation. There are a bunch of tools out there and you need to do your homework.

By the way--what happened to the original OP???
Old 06-13-2013, 01:49 PM
3rd Gear

thanks for all the insight.

I have USAA and they quoted me about .7% less than what the internet sales guy came up with. I do feel like I'll be giving up the ability to say I'm ready to walk out of here since I plan on going a few hours out of town to the dealership that has the MBM/umber color I'm looking for. Does anybody have any experience with trading in and purchasing out of town?
Old 06-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by djinkognito
thanks for all the insight.

I have USAA and they quoted me about .7% less than what the internet sales guy came up with. I do feel like I'll be giving up the ability to say I'm ready to walk out of here since I plan on going a few hours out of town to the dealership that has the MBM/umber color I'm looking for. Does anybody have any experience with trading in and purchasing out of town?
What town? And you won't be finding any new MBM so you are apparently looking for a pre-owned vehicle?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:25 PM
3rd Gear

right, a 2010, CPO. Philly
Old 06-13-2013, 03:36 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
wow! look at all these sugar land people!!!
the only thing i hate about Sterling Mccall is that they drill the license plate frame into EVERY SINGLE CAR.

you are left with two holes if you ever decide to run without a front plate.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by justnspace
wow! look at all these sugar land people!!!
the only thing i hate about Sterling Mccall is that they drill the license plate frame into EVERY SINGLE CAR.

you are left with two holes if you ever decide to run without a front plate.
I don't worry about the holes, since it's the law in Texas to have the front on. I don't want to give DPS any reason to pull me over
hadokenuh (06-13-2013)