Need help with recently purchased 2010 SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:26 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help with recently purchased 2010 SH-AWD

Hey all! I just purchased a black on black 2010 SH-AWD w/Tech last week. I love pretty much everything about this car but was looking to make some upgrades from a cosmetic stand point. I want caliper covers (thinking red), was thinking of putting some larger rims on it (20in), but dont intend to lower - would the gap look terrible if I didnt lower it? Would 20's rub, etc??? Also wanted to see if there are any reasonable grill or head light upgrades? Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated, links to upgrade sites/products would be huge, and thats all I have for now. Thanks all! Looking forward to some feedback.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
Most of the people on this site will tell you that 20's w/o lowering looks like crap, but don't worry about that, just do what you want. Will 20 rub? all depends on rim width/offset/tire size.
The Ron John grill is really nice, but pricey, other options out there for much less. You could just color match, which will look very nice as well. You may want to check out the rear window spoiler, which is inexpensive and pretty cool looking.
Good luck, and check the photo galleries for ideas.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:42 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CerberusKy
Most of the people on this site will tell you that 20's w/o lowering looks like crap, but don't worry about that, just do what you want. Will 20 rub? all depends on rim width/offset/tire size.
The Ron John grill is really nice, but pricey, other options out there for much less. You could just color match, which will look very nice as well. You may want to check out the rear window spoiler, which is inexpensive and pretty cool looking.
Good luck, and check the photo galleries for ideas.
Awesome man! Thanks for the reply. I'd love to lower the car but my primary concern is I live in Baltimore city and the tighter the suspension the more wear & tear my car will take. Baltimore could quite possibly have the worst roads in America haha
Old 04-08-2013, 03:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Its seems like a lot of people are using the caliper covers these days. Personally I am not a huge fan of them but if you like them that's really all that matters. I chose to paint mine instead. I used the caliper paint kit made by duplicolor and it worked really well. G2 also makes a really great caliper paint and its pretty cheap on ebay.

Im running a 20" wheel but my car is dropped on tein coilovers. I find that the wheels look huge if the car is not dropped. Again, just my opinion. Your 20's shouldn't rub as long as you are not running a huge truck tire.....lol.

As far as the grille is concerned there are a few on ebay that look like cheap mesh. There's also the ron jon grille. I found that the mesh looks cheap and horrible on a TL and the ron jon is kind of pricey. I opted to paint the outer part of my grille to match my car then paint the inner part to match my wheels. Here is a pic of what I did with mine -

I also blackhoused my headlights which you can see in the picture. Its a very simple process and cheap as well. All you need is paint and silicone. There are a ton of DIY threads on here and on other forums as well. The process of blackhousing headlights is very simple, a lot of people will not do it because they are afraid to mess something up. Take it from me, Ive done a ton of headlights on 3G TL's and I did mine on my 4G TL and Ive never messed any up. Just take your time. Hope this helps.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 231 Likes on 207 Posts
CarrieLynn, that is a great looking grill. It's a very subtle mod but keeps the OEM look. Nice job. Op, I'd look into this kind of mod for the grill. If you want to keep the stock height w/ 20s, get 245/35/20 tires and you could go 20x9 all around w/ +35 offset and no rubbing. There are a ton of setups and configurations you can do depending on how aggressive or conservative you want to go. Choosing the right kind of rim is the hardest to do for me. That is last on my list of mods.
The following users liked this post:
CarrieLynn (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 12:27 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by CarrieLynn
Its seems like a lot of people are using the caliper covers these days. Personally I am not a huge fan of them but if you like them that's really all that matters. I chose to paint mine instead. I used the caliper paint kit made by duplicolor and it worked really well. G2 also makes a really great caliper paint and its pretty cheap on ebay.

Im running a 20" wheel but my car is dropped on tein coilovers. I find that the wheels look huge if the car is not dropped. Again, just my opinion. Your 20's shouldn't rub as long as you are not running a huge truck tire.....lol.

As far as the grille is concerned there are a few on ebay that look like cheap mesh. There's also the ron jon grille. I found that the mesh looks cheap and horrible on a TL and the ron jon is kind of pricey. I opted to paint the outer part of my grille to match my car then paint the inner part to match my wheels. Here is a pic of what I did with mine -

I also blackhoused my headlights which you can see in the picture. Its a very simple process and cheap as well. All you need is paint and silicone. There are a ton of DIY threads on here and on other forums as well. The process of blackhousing headlights is very simple, a lot of people will not do it because they are afraid to mess something up. Take it from me, Ive done a ton of headlights on 3G TL's and I did mine on my 4G TL and Ive never messed any up. Just take your time. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info, your car looks sick!!!! Ideally I'd love to lower my car, my only hesitation is living in Baltimore City, the roads are terribly maintained and the tighter suspension will murder the car over time. How is the ride with the coilovers? That grill looks awesome. Did you just take it to an autobody shop and have them match/paint it for you or did you diy?
Old 04-09-2013, 12:48 PM
Scott

Received 156 Likes on 151 Posts
Congrats Matt on your 10' shawd TL, and welcome to Acurazine!

Window tint is a good first mod. Then the rear roof spoiler is only $80-$90. shipped to you.

The OEM lip kit all around looks excellent.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:44 PM
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 190 Posts
Congrats on your purchase - you'll love it.

As another member has indicated, painting your calipers are another option to the covers.

Here is a link to my thread - I just posted pics of my calipers painted black recently, as well as the rear roof spoiler also mentioned by someone else:

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-photograph-gallery-296/my-new-2012-tl-elite-graphite-luster-metallic-869426/

Tint will also make a big difference for a relatively low cost.

Folks here will flame you if you do your calipers red - unless you have upgraded brakes. I painted the stock calipers on my previous car red and initially liked it - but grew to dislike it. They draw attention to how small your stock calipers are and it appears a little desperate. But hey, it's your car so do what makes you happy!

Post pics as you update!
Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Your best bet is to browse the photograph gallery and find what you like. I am very thorough when faced with decisions like these so I actually took screenshots of what I liked and pasted them into an Excel file with notes I took (mainly when making my grille and rim choices). It's a good way to gather the things you like into one manageable file and do side by side comparisons.

I do agree with most that caliper covers are a no no. You just don't put those type of mods on a car like this...leave it for those with 10 year old Civics with a fartcan & led headlight washers.

I painted my calipers and hubs black and feel it suits the car nicely...very subtle and classy IMO. I also have 20" rims and am on stock suspension. Some refer to it as 4x4 but I feel the wheel gap is minimal. I went with a 255/35/20 tire so the sidewall is slightly bigger to help fill the gap but I also had to roll my rear fenders.

Click here for my progress thread.

Last edited by ucf_bronco; 04-09-2013 at 02:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jspagna1 (04-09-2013)
Old 04-09-2013, 07:01 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Your best bet is to browse the photograph gallery and find what you like. I am very thorough when faced with decisions like these so I actually took screenshots of what I liked and pasted them into an Excel file with notes I took (mainly when making my grille and rim choices). It's a good way to gather the things you like into one manageable file and do side by side comparisons.

I do agree with most that caliper covers are a no no. You just don't put those type of mods on a car like this...leave it for those with 10 year old Civics with a fartcan & led headlight washers.

I painted my calipers and hubs black and feel it suits the car nicely...very subtle and classy IMO. I also have 20" rims and am on stock suspension. Some refer to it as 4x4 but I feel the wheel gap is minimal. I went with a 255/35/20 tire so the sidewall is slightly bigger to help fill the gap but I also had to roll my rear fenders.

Click here for my progress thread.
I think your car looks great. No need to lower imo.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:02 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
I think your car looks great. No need to lower imo.
Thanks man!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:19 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Matt72780- congrats on your purchase & thanks for asking the questions in this thread. I also purchased a black SHAWD and I had the same questions.
Old 04-12-2013, 08:27 AM
Safety Car

Received 57 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt72780
Thanks for the info, your car looks sick!!!! Ideally I'd love to lower my car, my only hesitation is living in Baltimore City, the roads are terribly maintained and the tighter suspension will murder the car over time. How is the ride with the coilovers? That grill looks awesome. Did you just take it to an autobody shop and have them match/paint it for you or did you diy?
Im on Tein SS and I live in Montreal, there is no possible way the roads where you live can be worse lol. Just last week a friend of mine hit a pot hole that was so large he literally flipped his car. Im dead serious.

Anyways, the coilovers are amazing, I would recommend them The color matched part of the grille was done by a body shop because its very hard to match white paint. The rest I did myself
Old 04-12-2013, 10:29 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm in MI and our roads suck too. I'm lowered. No problems. Even lowered on H&R's, my TL still has more ground clearance than my Evo X with the factory lip kit on it did when I had that.

Last edited by i64X; 04-12-2013 at 10:35 AM.