AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   4G TL (2009-2014) (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/)
-   -   Need Help (https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/need-help-940158/)

Road-Rager 1 12-25-2015 09:40 AM

Need Help

It's time to replace my shocks and I'm having a difficult time finding GOOD QUALITY shocks to upgrade to. I don't want or need racing shocks (adjustable). However, I can't find any upgrades that are not adjustable. Called Koni and they don't have anything for the SH-AWD. I've heard that the KYB's are too stiff and unenjoyable. I don't want to go back to OEM or stuff like Monroe, Gabriel and other similar stuff.

If I'm going to replace them, I want to upgrade to something I don't mind spending money on.

Please provide any and all suggestions. THANX!!

fsures 12-25-2015 11:25 AM

Welcome to the club. I am investigating Koni sport shocks for my 2009 AWD. Heeltoe has a set listed but I'm still investigating whether to pull the trigger. Koni doesn't list a replacement for our car. Wondering why Acura lists a different shock for each side front replacements.

Road-Rager 1 12-25-2015 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by fsures (Post 15641757)
Welcome to the club. I am investigating Koni sport shocks for my 2009 AWD. Heeltoe has a set listed but I'm still investigating whether to pull the trigger. Koni doesn't list a replacement for our car. Wondering why Acura lists a different shock for each side front replacements.

Make sure its for the SH-AWD because when I spoke with a Koni rep he said they don't have ANYTHING for our model.

fsures 12-25-2015 12:36 PM

I know. I was wondering if heel toe has found a application that will work with our car. They said that I would have to enlarge the shock mount to accommodate the larger shaft size on the Koni. I believe that the other world Honda Legend is our car here. Would love to replace the crappy OEM shock. Don't want coil overs. Just want a "solid" road car. I have a S2000 for when I want to get crazy.

Road-Rager 1 12-25-2015 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by fsures (Post 15641785)
I know. I was wondering if heel toe has found a application that will work with our car. They said that I would have to enlarge the shock mount to accommodate the larger shaft size on the Koni. I believe that the other world Honda Legend is our car here. Would love to replace the crappy OEM shock. Don't want coil overs. Just want a "solid" road car. I have a S2000 for when I want to get crazy.

What would the cost be to enlarge the shock mount? Did you look into that yet? Might be worth while to do that. But then are you subjected to only using Koni shocks from there on out?

fsures 12-25-2015 01:35 PM

Upper shock mounts are not expensive and I replace them as a matter of course when replacing shocks. You would not be stuck with Koni's should you change to something else.

ray01 12-26-2015 06:00 PM

what mileage are you guys at out of curiosity and are your shocks leaking or just bouncy?

fsures 12-26-2015 08:04 PM

I have 84,000 miles on my 2009. Small bumps and holes are transmitted through the car. It could be shock mounts, but if I'm getting in that deep, I'm going to replace the worn shocks. No bounce or unusual tire ware.

Road-Rager 1 12-27-2015 09:00 AM

Bouncing and bottoming out (shock) thumping. 93K miles. It's time to replace but wanna replace with better than OEM.