My '09 TL loaner experience...

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 01:13 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My '09 TL loaner experience...

have this for the weekend as my '04 is getting an alignment...

Not at all into the exterior (sorry.. this is the '09 TL FWD).. but the interior is very impressive (non-navi) .. ease of use of all the accessories is great, very comfortable seats, the interior lightening, awesome!

The steering wheel is significantly improved compared to my '04... the handling and power of the 3.5L engine is great. I think the drive-by-wire is improved in terms of it's intelligence as it seems to anticipate my aggressive acceleration maneuvers faster than my '04TL.

Handling in the snow is very impressive... the thing is probably the best fwd vehicle i've ever driven in the snow... it just moves and the VSA does an excellent job (my vehicle was equipped with the stock Bridgestone Turanza 17" tires).

It's a shame the exterior styling does't appeal to me, as I'd be VERY interested in purchasing the '09 SH-AWD 3.7L TL in a heartbeat.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Give it time. You don't buy a car just for the exterior. 99% of the time you're with the car, you're behind the steering wheel. To me, what makes or breaks a car is the whole driving experience, not just the packaging.
Old 12-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers
have this for the weekend as my '04 is getting an alignment...

Not at all into the exterior (sorry.. this is the '09 TL FWD).. but the interior is very impressive (non-navi) .. ease of use of all the accessories is great, very comfortable seats, the interior lightening, awesome!

The steering wheel is significantly improved compared to my '04... the handling and power of the 3.5L engine is great. I think the drive-by-wire is improved in terms of it's intelligence as it seems to anticipate my aggressive acceleration maneuvers faster than my '04TL.

Handling in the snow is very impressive... the thing is probably the best fwd vehicle i've ever driven in the snow... it just moves and the VSA does an excellent job (my vehicle was equipped with the stock Bridgestone Turanza 17" tires).

It's a shame the exterior styling does't appeal to me, as I'd be VERY interested in purchasing the '09 SH-AWD 3.7L TL in a heartbeat.
see what you think of the ext styling - with different colors - some make the grill / rear trim stand out less. also diff wheels change the look of the car

the accel pedal response does seem much sharper / aggressive than my 04TL was too. try and test drive a SH-AWD car. I drove both - liked the fwd car and the SH-AWD car even more
Old 12-21-2008, 02:11 PM
Safety Car

Perhaps the SH-AWD with 19's (OEM) and the body kit would work more for me... i think the thing i liked LEAST about my loaner is how small the 17" rims look on the car... this body style needs AT LEAST 18" rims to look sporty/aggressive...

guess I'm used to that look with the Aspec TL...

Will try and drive a SH-AWD TL soon...
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take your time.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by PetesTL
Give it time. You don't buy a car just for the exterior. 99% of the time you're with the car, you're behind the steering wheel. To me, what makes or breaks a car is the whole driving experience, not just the packaging.
True, but the exterior styling is every bit as important as anything else, at least to me. I saw a SH on the road yesterday and it still does not do anything for me. I'm pretty much convinced G37 sedan for me in March.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by KeithL
True, but the exterior styling is every bit as important as anything else, at least to me. I saw a SH on the road yesterday and it still does not do anything for me. I'm pretty much convinced G37 sedan for me in March.
I hear you. But I do find it interesting how people were whinging endlessly about the styling of the TSX back in March, and now I hear cries 'why can't the TL look like the TSX?" Maybe for some, their opinions will change 6 months on?
Old 12-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by KeithL
Well, after you buy a car, you will eventually get used to the looks or even get tired of it.........it's the interior and the driving experience that influences you day-after-day......after all, you sit in it all the time.....if the interior and driving experience starts to get old, you'll hate the car no matter how good the outside looks.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
I hear you. But I do find it interesting how people were whinging endlessly about the styling of the TSX back in March, and now I hear cries 'why can't the TL look like the TSX?" Maybe for some, their opinions will change 6 months on?
True, I do think peopla get used to some styles. I don't HATE the 4G as much as I did when it first came out, but damn still don't see one in my garage anytime soon. Every car I have owned for years I have loved at first sight! If somone likes the 4G then by all means they should buy it. I loved just about everything about the 3G in 04 and still do today, I love my 3G Type-S every day as much as when I first saw the 3G and 3G Type-S. I have said if I have to be stuck in a car this 08 Type-S is great to be stuck with.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Banned

4th Gen TL doesn't look half bad, what makes that car great is the quality and material they used it on. I would love to rock one of the new black TL or tsx. But First thing I would ever do to the car would be painted grill professionally. There will be haters/lovers everywhere and anywhere. no matter what it is, people would keep whining over and over about design until they see it in person and drive it.

Old 12-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Intermediate

Well, after you buy a car, you will eventually get used to the looks or even get tired of it.........it's the interior and the driving experience that influences you day-after-day......after all, you sit in it all the time.....if the interior and driving experience starts to get old, you'll hate the car no matter how good the outside looks.

Pete. When I buy a new car I don't want to have to get use to the looks, one of the priamry reasons I want to buy it is for the looks... the technology and the interior are reasons as well, but to spend the the type of $ they want for a TL I don't want to have to push my self to like it, it should just happen, there are too many other cars out there where I don't have to convince my self I like them
Old 12-21-2008, 06:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eric Allen
Pete. When I buy a new car I don't want to have to get use to the looks, one of the priamry reasons I want to buy it is for the looks... the technology and the interior are reasons as well, but to spend the the type of $ they want for a TL I don't want to have to push my self to like it, it should just happen, there are too many other cars out there where I don't have to convince my self I like them
I'm not saying looks aren't important....but it should be only one out of many factors. Looks will only get you so far.....after a while, the other factors become much more important....comfort, performance, ergonomics, reliability, safety, and features. I use to have a neighbor who owned a Viper but rarely drove it....it looks incredible but according to him, the car is too cramped and ride too rough to drive it regularly....so it became nothing more than a display item collecting dust. For me, though, it's a no-brainer.... my 4G is the total package.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Peter, you are like a lot of people...they aren't crazy about exterior looks. But enjoy driving the loaner. And enjoy the handling too-it sounds like you're already doing that for sure.

And you know what-exterior looks ARE important. Eric is right with his comments above. It's the first thing that attracts you to any car...no matter what anyone else says. If you don't like the looks of the car at the outset, you'll spend the rest of your time trying to modify the exterior to get it looking better. Think about it...if you see two cars-and you haven't driven either car yet, you're naturally attracted to the car first that looks the best to you.

In the end, don't settle. If you decide to get out of your '04, get the best overall car for you. If you decide to buy a 4G TL, you're spending A LOT of money to buy a car that isn't visually appealing. The SH-AWD should be a fun test drive.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Pete, you make an interesting point about your neighbor and his Viper. Before I bought my Type S, I put a deposit on a Toyota Camry Hybrid, which I wasn't terribly excited about because it looked just like every other car-it didn't visually excite me. I would have probably walked away from it-even if I hadn't purchased the TL. You need to allow people to like the new 4G TL on their own accord. All of your arguments for it won't make a difference-unless you're buying the car for them. Sometimes you lose credibility because you over-faithfully and blindly defend the 4G TL's all all costs. It's been well established that many people don't necessarily like the exterior looks of the new TL-it takes some getting used to. Obviously, you were one of the people who DID like the new TL's exterior looks at the outset, which is great. It's also great that you feel your car is the total package. That statement should be enough for anyone considering buying it.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:03 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When I first saw the exterior 4G on the web, I didn't like it . I sat in one at a dealer in September and still wasn't into it. I then test drove one in December and by then, to my surprise I really liked the exterior of the car. I guess for me, the 4G was so radically different it took a while to warm up to and appreciate.

Kind of like some of the CDs in my collection. The CD that you really like on the first listen, you get quickly get sick of. The CD that takes 3 or 4 plays to appreciate is the one you still listen to 10 years later.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:47 PM
Happy Holidays!

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts
I agree there are plenty of factors into buying a car. But I have to say that certain factors weigh more heavily into my buying decision. I see the exterior styling being one of the most important factors. In the case of the 4th, it may definitely take some time to get use to it. And the exterior does not draw me to the car. At least not yet! But the 3rd gen on the other hand, it was definitely love at 1st sight. I wanted one the 1st time I saw it.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

you could almost trade 4G with SO

"Well, after you buy a car, you will eventually get used to the looks or even get tired of it.........it's the interior and the driving experience that influences you day-after-day......after all, you sit in it all the time.....if the interior and driving experience starts to get old, you'll hate the car no matter how good the outside looks."

Well, after you date , you will eventually get used to the SO looks or even get tired of it.........it's the conversaton and the shared experience that influences you day-after-day..........if the personality and life experience starts to get old, you'll hate the SO no matter how good the looks.

not poking fun at anyone, just struck me in an odd way
could do the same to many of the other posts here
Old 12-22-2008, 02:08 AM
2011 BMW 335i

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to disagree with you Pete. I loved the exterior styling of the 3G TL since the second and I mean the second, I saw it. (I still remember that day).....having said that, one of the main reasons I bought a 3G TL was because of the exterior styling, (Nice front fascia, sleek headlight design, xenons lights, LED tails, sweet ass 5 spoke wheels....just name a few of the things that caught my eye) and the only reason I can't say the exterior styling was the primary reason I bought this car is because Safety and reliability have always come first so if the 3G TL did not have the safety ratings it has or the reliability of a Honda product that it has then I would not have bought it. The fact that it ALSO has a very nice interior helps but if the interior was not as nice, that would not have stopped me from buying this car.
Unfortunately the 4G TL does not do the same thing for me and I don't think it ever will. I admit it is a very nice car but I personally don't think I will ever like the exterior styling enough to buy one. This is unfortunate because in a few months I am going to be looking at a new car but I don't think its going to be an Acura model unfortunately. For those of you who have bought a 4G TL, congratulations, you have a very nice car, but not everyone is going to envy you.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Safety Car

I have driven (extensively) a Mercedes, a Lexus ('96 and '94) extensively (previous vehicles) and have driven recent model Lexus, Infiniti and Mercedes (not any of the new bimmers...) and I have to say that the new TL is right up there with fit and finish, attentino to detail (for the MOST part) and solid "feel" while driving and operating the vehicle (right down to that solid, luxurious ''thud'' of the front driver's door closing).

I think Acura will eventually do what Nissan did with the Maxima... after these last 4-5 years... people have had mixed feelings on the Maxima, now they redesigned it to something much more palatable to MOST consumers (that's not to say that Maxima sales suffered in the last 4-5 years... nor will the TL sales suffer as it is a great vehicle).

The SH-AWD is absolutely the right direction for the TL to go, as is the 3.7 engine which I'm sure will only see more and more power over the next 1-3 years as it's significantly higher displacement (than my 3.2) allows more room to modify power settings.

I would have also liked to see a 6 or 7 speed automatic tranny in the '09 TL...
Old 12-22-2008, 04:20 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I still really look at every 3G is see on the road and find it still a high water mark for Acura design and they sure sold well, so allot of other people feel that way too.

The 4G style is sure a dividing thing it seems and has been pointed out countless times. But I think people want to love the car and the way it looks. It is quite a cash outlay for many and having true car pride is very important. I think the 4G now compares the Infiniti G in the style area. Being that is comes down to your taste. Both are great cars and offer allot of bang and engineering, but dont appeal to everyone.

The color match grill and the 18" wheels on the SHAWD make a huge difference in the overall balance of the design. Just add a std 7 speed auto and the 2010 6 speed MT and it will be everything Acura hoped it would be market wise.

I also agree you do spend most of your time behind the wheel and the interior style and features that the 4G offers is fantastic and well thought out. It seems more busy layout wise than the 3G, but it always makes simple sense with a little use.
Old 12-22-2008, 04:38 PM
Racer

I think Acura will eventually do what Nissan did with the Maxima... after these last 4-5 years... people have had mixed feelings on the Maxima, now they redesigned it to something much more palatable to MOST consumers (that's not to say that Maxima sales suffered in the last 4-5 years... nor will the TL sales suffer as it is a great vehicle).
OR, they could be like Subaru and make a change after a short two year cycle. Subaru tried a different grill design a few years ago that the market hated and they swapped it out as quick as they could. It may be worth a shot to take a chance on the design but if the market responds unfavorable it is best to admit your mistake and correct it as quick as possible. Acura took a car that was almost universally admired for its looks and managed to do a 180 and produce a car that is almost as universally disliked for its looks.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:05 PM
Safety Car

For years Acura has been chastised for being conservative in the design department (e.g. 1999-2003TL, CL, 1st gen TSX) but honestly, conservative can be a great thing is the sales numbers are there and people don't have very strong feelings one way or another about styling.

I have a feeling this may be more a short term design issue and there will be an aggressive front end redesign ... kinda like the BMW 7 series (latest gen)... the front and back were redesigned to conservative, BMW-esque styling and made the vehicle a gem once again.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by bmaczo6
OR, they could be like Subaru and make a change after a short two year cycle. Subaru tried a different grill design a few years ago that the market hated and they swapped it out as quick as they could. It may be worth a shot to take a chance on the design but if the market responds unfavorable it is best to admit your mistake and correct it as quick as possible. Acura took a car that was almost universally admired for its looks and managed to do a 180 and produce a car that is almost as universally disliked for its looks.
Well, the redesigned MDX was almost universally disliked by every auto critic for its weird grill when it first came out, but nevertheless, the public has seemed to love it very much as it has gone on to become a best seller for Acura. I see at least 3-5 MDX's every single day! The 4G has only been out for 2 months.......way too early to judge.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Racer

Well, the redesigned MDX was almost universally disliked by every auto critic for its weird grill when it first came out, but nevertheless, the public has seemed to love it very much as it has gone on to become a best seller for Acura. I see at least 3-5 MDX's every single day! The 4G has only been out for 2 months.......way too early to judge.

Were dealers trying to change the way the MDX looked when it came out?

Just read through all the threads that the show dealers painting the front end of the new TL in one form or another. I can't think of any other car that has had the same thing happen. This is not the auto critics slamming it but the buying public as well as Acura owners that really want to like the new car.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Were dealers trying to change the way the MDX looked when it came out?

Just read through all the threads that the show dealers painting the front end of the new TL in one form or another. I can't think of any other car that has had the same thing happen. This is not the auto critics slamming it but the buying public as well as Acura owners that really want to like the new car.
Like I said, way too early to judge....it's only been 2 months. Also you have to remember that we're in a deep recession right now and the auto industry is really in a big crisis with dealers shutting down all around the country. It's nice that we already have at least 30 new registered 4G owners during these past 2 months.....how many new 3G owners registered in Acurazine during the first 2 months of its release?.....or the new TSX owners?.......geez some of you guys are so quick to call the 4G a failure and are ready to bury it without giving it a chance.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Racer

Like I said, way too early to judge....it's only been 2 months. Also you have to remember that we're in a deep recession right now and the auto industry is really in a big crisis with dealers shutting down all around the country. It's nice that we already have at least 30 new registered 4G owners during these past 2 months.....how many new 3G owners registered in Acurazine during the first 2 months of its release?.....or the new TSX owners?.......geez some of you guys are so quick to call the 4G a failure and are ready to bury it without giving it a chance.
Thanks for clearing that up. The recession is causing the dealers to spend money on repainting the grill, got it, next.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:47 PM
Advanced

4G TL (Total Failure) Finally Solved!

Thanks for clearing that up. The recession is causing the dealers to spend money on repainting the grill, got it, next.
Classic reply!

The bottom line for me, and I'm sure for many others, is simply this: If you're going to buy a new car, especially a car priced upwards of 35K in today's economy, it has to be car that you really want to own as well as a car that you can justify, i.e., a car that motivates you to make the leap of faith and sign on the line that is dotted, as well as a car that you believe will be able to retain its value. Acura was always a leader in this last regard, only now they have fu*cked it up by getting adventurous with their most recent styling.

Sucks to be them. Nice knowing you, Acura. I guess owners can always take their cars over to Honda for service.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

If someone likes the car, they'll buy it....painted grill or not.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:52 PM
Intermediate

The recession is causing the dealers to spend money on repainting the grill, got it, next.
No one is denying that. Year to date, there's undoubtedly more mixed sentiments on the TL than perhaps any other previous Acura. But, time will tell if everyone stays this divided, or if Acura throws the towel in quickly and does a quick re-design of the nose, or if the design actually starts to grow on people.

My bet is on the later. Bold new changes in automotive styling are almost ALWAYS met with mixed reviews.... some of them make it, and some of them don't!
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,012 Likes on 567 Posts
Re-designing the grills would be the dumbest thing Acura could do. IMO, It would only encourage future 'whine-fests' every time they want to do something different. it could be paralyzing to a company.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:12 PM
Three Wheelin'

BMW didn't change the "cat eyes" and weird body lines of the 5 series and 7 series and they still ended up selling very well. The gargantuan grill on the new Audi's were criticized by everybody when they were first introduced. Now, most people consider it acceptable and even elegant. Time will tell, but my guess is that Acura might modify the grill very slightly mid-cycle, but still keep the overall shape.....or they may just leave it alone.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:36 PM
Advanced

I think it definitely is a personal choice. Granted we are behind the wheel more than we're looking at the outside of our own car but that doesn't mean we shouldn't care about what the exterior looks like. Personally, I like the look. It's what attracted me to the TL. But that's my personal opinion. I think it has an edgy look that would appeal to younger buyers. Perhaps that's what Acura is after. I just question the ability of younger buyers to be able to afford the TL. I can see how many would dislike the aggressive, edgy look. And how Acura could be alienating many of its current customers. It's a crap shoot. Time will tell if it pays off or not.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Colin
Re-designing the grills would be the dumbest thing Acura could do. IMO, It would only encourage future 'whine-fests' every time they want to do something different. it could be paralyzing to a company.
They won't change it unless SALES suffer, does nto matter how much whining people do, if the car does not sell well adjusted for the economy and their research shows the styling is hurting sales, then they'll make changes, if sales do fine with th estyling it will stay. So we'll have to wait and see. Considering I have owned 5 3G TLs since 04 they can count my dollars out, I am loving my 3G Type-S until I I feel the time is right for a G37 sedan.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Racer

Not at all into the exterior (sorry.. this is the '09 TL FWD).

Guys, the OP stated he liked the car but he did not like the styling.

It is great that some of you guys like the changes and may have purchased one but it certainly does appear that the majority of Acura owners on this forum do not like it and they are the best candidates to buy one. If I was in the market I would take a good look at the Accord as Honda did a very nice job with that redesign.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Safety Car

Received 64 Likes on 59 Posts
It has almost 3.5 months. I have yet to see a single one in bayarea. Only dealer loaners cars on the road. you have 30 owners for TL. there are 120 TSX owners in 7 months. and 1G TSX population is altot smaler than 2 & 3G TL population.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

in a recession hard to measure the true success or failure
Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 PM
Happy Holidays!

I don't have extra $40k to waste on a car just to see if the exterior styling will grow on me or not.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 PM
CL6
My only car is a Bus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BMW/Bangle did a real number on the 7 Series when it was re-designed. I think that hurt the car a lot. When the 5 Series came out it was toned down a great deal from the 7 Series. When the 3 Series came out it was greatly toned down from the 5 Series. I think BMW realized they had made a mistake and couldn't afford to mess up their bread-and-butter car. When Audi came out with their re-design it pretty much meant the grille was lowered below the front bumper. I don't think there were such strong reactions. I think the TSX beak is not bad if painted but I like the traditional grilles you find on most cars. Time will tell if the risk to be different paid off but in San Francisco I have seen exactly 1 new TL on the roads.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:43 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CL6
BMW/Bangle did a real number on the 7 Series when it was re-designed. I think that hurt the car a lot. When the 5 Series came out it was toned down a great deal from the 7 Series. When the 3 Series came out it was greatly toned down from the 5 Series. I think BMW realized they had made a mistake and couldn't afford to mess up their bread-and-butter car. When Audi came out with their re-design it pretty much meant the grille was lowered below the front bumper. I don't think there were such strong reactions. I think the TSX beak is not bad if painted but I like the traditional grilles you find on most cars. Time will tell if the risk to be different paid off but in San Francisco I have seen exactly 1 new TL on the roads.
So far, I've seen 6 4G's in Chicago this month alone, even in this crazy economy.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:12 AM
Happy Holidays!

I've seen exactly one here in the Bay Area. It was parked in a parking lot right next to the dealership and still had a new plate. Maybe the dealer lot ran out of space on their own lot? Who knows!

Quick Reply: My '09 TL loaner experience...