Motor Trend Verdict: 2009 Acura TL SH-AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 07:18 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
"Humans need time to get used to newness," he smiles. -Chris Bangle

With that said, the symbol company still sold cars simply because the level of status it represents. Truth be told Acura hasn't gotten there yet. Had Acura had say 50 years under it's belt of being a top notch luxury line then folks would be look past it for sake of driving the symbol.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Drifting

Received 535 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
"Humans need time to get used to newness," he smiles. -Chris Bangle

With that said, the symbol company still sold cars simply because the level of status it represents. Truth be told Acura hasn't gotten there yet. Had Acura had say 50 years under it's belt of being a top notch luxury line then folks would be look past it for sake of driving the symbol.
Actually, what Acura would need is a slew of "daddy's girls", "middle aged princesses", and "yuppies" to buy a truckload of the TL's to do what BMW pulled off with the Bangled 3-series.

Acura can't rely on status, tradition and name brand because that's why many people buy BMW's. Let's face it - 95% of the "ultimate driving machines" probably just go to the grocery store, sit in traffic, or hang out at malls.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan
Actually, what Acura would need is a slew of "daddy's girls", "middle aged princesses", and "yuppies" to buy a truckload of the TL's to do what BMW pulled off with the Bangled 3-series.

Acura can't rely on status, tradition and name brand because that's why many people buy BMW's. Let's face it - 95% of the "ultimate driving machines" probably just go to the grocery store, sit in traffic, or hang out at malls.
So you want hordes of yuppies racing in the streets or tracking their cars? Or are you implying people should only buy luxury/performance vehicles if they will race them? I don't get your point.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^ Well, I think the main reason why many in the luxury community look down on the status of Acura is simply b/c of their lack of options compared to all the other luxury competition, I'm talking about coupes, RWD, V8s, etc. For some reason though, Acura seems to feel that even if they offer any of these options, its going to hurt them in some way, shape, or form. I can't understand that but that is the impression they give when anyone has asked the top brass of introducing some of these options into their line-up.
Old 08-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had to buy an Acura because I can't afford a BMW, Audi or Benz.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:32 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Sorry my point of the BMW article is that people ended up loving the BMW design once we humans got used to the newness. They created a whole new look which I think many auto designers copied. No where in the article is it talking about status. If the TL looked like the 2004 5 series wouldn't it still take time for people to appreciate the design?? I owned 3 bmw (05 525, 07 550, 08 x5) and 3 acuras (01 TL, 04 tsx, 10 TL) I went from the 04 TSX to the 05 525 because everyone was driving the TSX by then and I wanted something different. When I purchased the 05 525 i didnt care for the design and I received the most negative comments about it. Everyone would say it was ugly and why did I buy it most people liked the TSX better. by 07 when i got my 550 eveyone loved the design and eveyone was driving one which is why I got rid of it too. When I purchased my 10 TL about 6 weeks ago I didnt like the design and was going to purchase a $40000 Maxima instead. On the TL test drive I fell in love with the drive and remembered my 5 series design experience so I purchased it. Now I love the design and am happy Acura went so bold with the design. It is so "Advanced". My point is that I think acura is on to something new and Humans need time to get used to the newness. Give Acura a chance to try something different and rejoice that we have found a best kept secret. Soon enough other auto makers will be selling cars that look like the TL and we will no longer have something that looks so Advanced. And if I am a yuppie then I guess they are going to buy Acuras now.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:50 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketsfan

I Think that Acura/Honda can rely on tradition and name brand. Reliability on Acuras are much better than BMWs and when "daddy's girls", "middle aged princesses", and "yuppies" get stuck on the side of the road waiting for BMW assist (If there cars have that option or if they know how to use it). they will see many Acuras pass them by especially if its a 4G TL because it looks so different. And also we should face it too I think that at least 95% of Acuras "Advanced" machines (especially the MDX and RDX) are probably doing the same thing right next to the BMWs .

Last edited by HAWAII-TSX; 08-04-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Old 08-04-2010, 10:56 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
OH No! That note on your window!! :-)

Originally Posted by HAWAII-TSX
Sorry my point of the BMW article is that people ended up loving the BMW design once we humans got used to the newness. They created a whole new look which I think many auto designers copied. No where in the article is it talking about status. If the TL looked like the 2004 5 series wouldn't it still take time for people to appreciate the design?? I owned 3 bmw (05 525, 07 550, 08 x5) and 3 acuras (01 TL, 04 tsx, 10 TL) I went from the 04 TSX to the 05 525 because everyone was driving the TSX by then and I wanted something different. When I purchased the 05 525 i didn't care for the design and I received the most negative comments about it. Everyone would say it was ugly and why did I buy it most people liked the TSX better. by 07 when i got my 550 everyone loved the design and everyone was driving one which is why I got rid of it too. When I purchased my 10 TL about 6 weeks ago I didn't like the design and was going to purchase a $40000 Maxima instead. On the TL test drive I fell in love with the drive and remembered my 5 series design experience so I purchased it. Now I love the design and am happy Acura went so bold with the design. It is so "Advanced". My point is that I think acura is on to something new and Humans need time to get used to the newness. Give Acura a chance to try something different and rejoice that we have found a best kept secret. Soon enough other auto makers will be selling cars that look like the TL and we will no longer have something that looks so Advanced. And if I am a yuppie then I guess they are going to buy Acuras now.
I arrived at work today late and since it was lunch time was able to park in a area where someone had left. WOW, 3rd Gen TL on the left and a 3rd Gen TL on my right! One was dark gray, one was white. There was my SH-AWD TL 2010 right in the middle!! When you stand back and look at all 3, mine just stands out, like night and day difference! So I leave work around 6:30 tonight and I was walking up to my TL in a 80% empty lot, I saw a piece of paper on the window! My jaw dropped since I was expecting something like I hit your car, or whatever, but the note was kind of funny! It said, "Stop showing off, Very Nice ride" !! I guess someone thought I did this on purpose! No way to tell if this was from one of the other TL drivers or the BMW that was parked in front of me? But I had a big smile on my face at the time! DARN!!!! Someday I might find someone who has something bad to say about the TL, but for now I am NOT holding my breath waiting for that person to show up...
Old 08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
^ if red= sarcastic does maroon=bashful???

I get a lot of TL owners checking out my TL. Just yesterday I had a group of middle aged men checkin out my car. Admiring it? Im not sure but its obviously an attention grabber.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 PM
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
[quote=MurkyRiversTL;12232624]^ if red= sarcastic does maroon=bashful??? quote]

Neither, I just get bored with B&W sometimes!
Old 08-04-2010, 11:18 PM
COTM Coordinator

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I feel your pain lol. Im glad the rest of the world is in color to help with my frustrations lol.
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by HAWAII-TSX
My point is that I think acura is on to something new and Humans need time to get used to the newness. Give Acura a chance to try something different and rejoice that we have found a best kept secret. Soon enough other auto makers will be selling cars that look like the TL and we will no longer have something that looks so Advanced. And if I am a yuppie then I guess they are going to buy Acuras now.
i think that is very true. the styling of the new TL is very a "new" and people's initial reaction to the change was negative...but eventually they come around.

there is some famous quote about how people's first reaction to a major change is to fight against it, and then they finally give in.... i forget exactly how it goes or who said it - but it's true. at first people fight against change, but eventually they get used to it and even embrace it.... many of us have some experiencein our life that proves it..

something as simple as a car design... same theory. people hated the new TL..myself included..but honestly..now.. I kind of like it.