The more I test drive other cars, the more I want to keep my 2012 TL Elite!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 06:52 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
The more I test drive other cars, the more I want to keep my 2012 TL Elite!!!

Since the lease for my 2012 TL Elite (Advance for US) will be up soon, I have been test driving other cars. The weirdest thing is, the more I test drive them, the more I want to just buy out my TL!!! This whole experience has made me realize even more how good my 2012 TL Elite is.... still trying to decide between a luxury sport sedan and a sporty SUV.

1. Audi Allroad - nice but not that nice, esp. not befitting its price tag of $60K here in Canada! The engine is just not refined enough.

2. Audi Q5 - also nice and a bit quieter than the Allroad but you really feel the high centre of gravity. Still I would take this over the Allroad. But apart from the better utility than my TL, nothing else is really an improved experience.

3. Acura RDX - very nice handling and soooo spacious and quiet. Still, the interior is kind of one step down from the 2012 TL Elite and so that is disappointing....

4. Acura MDX - BIG! Nice interior - exactly what I would like in an interior (in terms of features, but not really in terms of design) but not as sporty as the RDX in terms of handling. Certainly coming from a 2012 TL Elite with SH-AWD, this is a bit floaty boaty....

5. Lexus GS AWD F-Sport - SWEET! I love the interior design. So swanky and upmarket. The handling is decent if you have it in the "sport" mode. However, if I get this, why not just keep the TL Elite?

6. Lexus IS AWD - nice car - but too small inside.

7. Infiniti Q50 Sport Premium AWD - SCARY steer by wire steering system!!! So overly sensitive and too jerky. Yikes.

I need to try out the BMW X3 with 4 cylinder engine, and the new GLK turbo diesel.

If I had the ground clearance with my TL (this snowstorm after snowstorm in Calgary is just getting OLD! So much accumulated snow/ice in my street - more ground clearance would be so nice!) as well as fold down rear seats, then that's it. No question that I would be keeping my TL.

Now with the TLX being unveiled soon, perhaps I really should buy out my TL and then see what the RLX SH-SHAWD will be priced at in Canada, and see what the TLX will offer!!!
Old 12-21-2013, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^ Hey my friend....Just curious, when is your TL lease up?

I see you have done your homework as far as test driving various vehicles, and I see a tendency toward the SUVs given all the vehicles you test drove. Any reason you didn't test drive more sport sedan such as the Audi A4 or the BMW 3series?

You will soon see what the TLX will look like, and what it will have to offer as far as engines/transmissions which will help you decide whether you want to wait until it comes out. For me, I have learn to appreciate and respect what the RLX has to offer but its not a car I see myself driving yet...still a bit too young (at least in my mind) and small to be driving such a big car.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by weather
^^ Hey my friend....Just curious, when is your TL lease up?

I see you have done your homework as far as test driving various vehicles, and I see a tendency toward the SUVs given all the vehicles you test drove. Any reason you didn't test drive more sport sedan such as the Audi A4 or the BMW 3series?

You will soon see what the TLX will look like, and what it will have to offer as far as engines/transmissions which will help you decide whether you want to wait until it comes out. For me, I have learn to appreciate and respect what the RLX has to offer but its not a car I see myself driving yet...still a bit too young (at least in my mind) and small to be driving such a big car.
Hey, Weather, are you enjoying the snow this year!? It's NUTS here in Calgary.... we broke our record for having the most snow fall in early Dec or something like that just now... LOL

Anyway, my lease is up in early April. I still have time. I am not keen on the A4 because I don't think that it is even as nice as my TL! LOL! Also, everyone and their cousin has an A4 here in Calgary.... hmm....

As for the 3 series, I am actually also curious about the Touring model as well. I should try that out too. But then if I go that way, the X3 may make more sense..... the 3 series sedan? Yes, I did test drive one but there was something wrong with the engine so it was very rough and noisy..... need to try that out again. I actually did try a 528i with the 2.0 turbo! It was quite nice. Hmm....

Anyway, the recent record snow fall really has me thinking about the ground clearance issue. I got stuck in the snow for the first time in Calgary last week! LOL! With all those snow and ice "ridges" forming in the residential street, my poor TL could not climb over them one day after work, so I had to park my car outside, shoveled the street (yup, the City of Calgary does NOT routinely clear snow in residential streets!!! It's crazy here...) and then my TL could finally get back home in the garage. Poor thing.... otherwise, it has been a tank in the snow and has saved me from quite a few tight spots! Love that SH-AWD...........
Old 12-21-2013, 07:21 PM
Suzuka Master

^^ So you have some time to make an informed decision. The X3 is a nice vehicle and I think you would enjoy the ride as well. My biggest thing with the BMW brand is their somewhat bland interior. Compared to the interior of the 4G TL, BMW is just so boring but I am not saying its not functional or ergonomic but a little of the "dull side".

I can appreciate what you are saying about the A4....its not fun owning a car that everyone has, and part of the reason why I like my Acura so much! When I live, there is no 2012+ TL, especially one with an aerokit and white so I am unique (that can be taken in so many ways (lol)).

As far as snow is concerned, I had to spend the day removing the snow on the roof today because the amount thats already fallen, plus now under 8+ hours of freezing rain with another 15-18h still possible although it will likely mix with snow and ice pellet/sleet for a while overnight. I can't begin to describe how much I dislike winter......
Old 12-21-2013, 07:36 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by weather
^^ So you have some time to make an informed decision. The X3 is a nice vehicle and I think you would enjoy the ride as well. My biggest thing with the BMW brand is their somewhat bland interior. Compared to the interior of the 4G TL, BMW is just so boring but I am not saying its not functional or ergonomic but a little of the "dull side".

I can appreciate what you are saying about the A4....its not fun owning a car that everyone has, and part of the reason why I like my Acura so much! When I live, there is no 2012+ TL, especially one with an aerokit and white so I am unique (that can be taken in so many ways (lol)).

As far as snow is concerned, I had to spend the day removing the snow on the roof today because the amount thats already fallen, plus now under 8+ hours of freezing rain with another 15-18h still possible although it will likely mix with snow and ice pellet/sleet for a while overnight. I can't begin to describe how much I dislike winter......
Hey, Weather, you make me feel so much better about this Calgary weather now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sigh..... maybe you should move to Alberta for this "nicer" weather!!! LOL! Seriously though, I feel for ya. I cannot imagine all the snow, freezing rain and ice storm that you will be getting! Be safe.

Yes, I cannot agree with you more about the BMW interior. The 3 series and X3 both look a bit dull inside. I must say that the 528i does look quite nice inside.... but I will not want to spend that much money on a vehicle ($70K) but I can get one at a reasonable price here if it's slightly used or if it's a demo 528i.

The GLK turbo diesel really intrigues me. The mileage is CRAZY good! I really need to try that thing out. OK, I do know that it's tiny inside though.... sigh!

Take care in that crazy weather out east!!!
The following users liked this post:
weather (12-21-2013)
Old 12-21-2013, 07:48 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,160 Likes on 829 Posts
Infiniti has started a recall campaign for the Q50 with it's Steering-by-Wire system.

Hopefully, after the recall, there will be no more steering to hell.

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...wire-software#
Old 12-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ostrich
Take care in that crazy weather out east!!!
Thanks....I'll be cautious. Its not like I didn't see it coming *lol* We had this storm nailed since last Tuesday....I am quite impressed.

Now that I did all the shoveling and removing the snow off the roof, I am just staying indoor and doing as little as possible. Just hoping we won't have massive power outages.