Magnafine ATF filter autopsy

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 11:29 AM
Drifting

Received 852 Likes on 605 Posts
Magnafine ATF filter autopsy

So I decided to switch to a magnafine ATF filter last time I changed my ATF fluid and thought I'd cut it open after changing it out. It saw about 20K miles of use.

Filter after removing cover:

Crap off the magnet:

Filter media:

New DW1 fluid, fluid currently in tranny, residual material from about 20 pleats on the filter:

After seeing that, I'm pretty happy with the Magnafine and plan on sticking with it. There didn't seem to be nearly as much material in the filter media compared to the magnet. The transmission plug magnet didn't have nearly that much either. This tells me that the standard ATF filter is probably capturing about as much as the Magnafine filter media but that a good portion of crap is getting through. Having said that, the filter media is after the magnet. So there's a good chance that the magnet captured a lot of the material before it went through the media. Regardless, the filter seemed to do it's job fairly well. The existing fluid looks pretty decent after 150K miles (which ATF changes about every 15K miles or so).

The Magnafine filter for the 4G, 2012-2014, is a 3/8ths - PN R038M- 3810000. You can find it on eBay, Amazon and a few other sites for around $20 or so. Not much more than the OEM.
The following 2 users liked this post by losiglow:
csmeance (05-01-2018), Reorge (04-29-2018)