looking to buy TL, base vs sh-awd

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:51 PM
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by jasonwdp10
Well according to Acura.com:
"Soft, Perforated Milano Premium Leather seating surfaces are included with the Technology Package."

"TL SH-AWD has high-performance seats with more aggressive side-bolstering."

And being the owner of Both a Base Tech and the late SHAWD Tech, I can assure you my base w/ Tech has perforated milano leather seats.

What you're describing is the extra bolster support that the SHAWD seats have...
The SH-AWD has the extra bolstering, and ALSO has different stitching than the base model. Might be the same leather, but feels different than sitting in a base model.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Acura2010
The SH-AWD has the extra bolstering, and ALSO has different stitching than the base model. Might be the same leather, but feels different than sitting in a base model.
I know.. i owned both....
Old 08-01-2010, 09:12 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AWD is soooo much fun to drive, but the ride is really jarring over bad pavement. I still think I'd get the AWD if I had to do it again.
Old 08-01-2010, 10:58 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
As no one has ever called a BMW "floaty" or anything of the sort I think it's important to note that even the BMW 328i rides a LOT more comfortably than the TL. And when I say "TL" I'm talking about the FWD car. There's simply no excuse for the harshness of the AWD car in a vehicle with pretensions of being a competitor in the 'sports/luxury' segment.
Old 08-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think if the definition of sport/luxury was solely defined by BMW then I would agree that Acura has no excuse for the suspension dynamics on the AWD TL. Though I would agree that the suspension setup for the AWD TL is more direct, especially with 19" wheels, I have to say that this is one of the big reason why I purchased the AWD TL. (And over the BMW 335i that I was cross shopping.)

Having previously driven a BMW 535 (with the M suspension pack) in Japan, I could see how people's expectations could conclude that the AWD TL is unrefined. However, ultimately I feel that the compromise in the suspension settings out-weighs the other strengths of the AWD TL. The driving dynamics is extremely engaging and gives the driver more confidence and to feel involved with the drive. It reminds me of the European Accord Type-R that I used to drive in the UK. Also from a cost effectiveness point of view, I just don't see a car under $40k that drives as well as the AWD TL.

Don't get me wrong, I drive the TL over the dozen rumble strips on the Bay Bridge every day, in and out of SF, (and the freeways in the Bay Area are poorly maintained) and wished that the TL would do a better job smoothing it out. But does it stop me every morning when I jump into the driving seat? No, not really. I'm eager as ever to hit the road. I thought giving up my S2000 was going to take the fun out of the daily commute. Life just got more fun
Old 08-01-2010, 11:35 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
I don't find that a sport package equipped 3 series is at all a better riding vehicle than either FWD or SH TL. The non sport with the 17's is one thing but the sport suspension with 18's and runflats is firm.

Where it can be considerd better is in the dampening which the TL could benefit from but not as much since the 3 series ride is often very springy and overly dampened and firm all of the time because of the runflats, where the TL is more relaxed therefore less dampened for bumps but that keeps it more neutral with less unwanted suspension movements over those types of surfaces IMO. Not to mention the SH still handles better than the 3 series and can outlap it under most circumstances while not being as light or balanced.

It's never just the ride alone, it's always ride in relation to handling, they go hand and hand. If any car in any class comes close to the TL SH's capabilities it usually rides no better, more times than not it's actually worse. That is the most important piece to keep in perspective.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 08-01-2010 at 11:37 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:17 AM
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by PsychDoc
As no one has ever called a BMW "floaty" or anything of the sort I think it's important to note that even the BMW 328i rides a LOT more comfortably than the TL. And when I say "TL" I'm talking about the FWD car. There's simply no excuse for the harshness of the AWD car in a vehicle with pretensions of being a competitor in the 'sports/luxury' segment.
Yea the last 328i sedan my friend lemme drive (well more like i was DD) rode pretty well. I think BMW still has the ride balance thing down. I really wish all hondas/acuras rode better. Most of the hondas/acuras i've owned or driven have been harsh and noisy, it's reflected in most mainstream reviews (including consumer guide) for almost all their vehicles (except the RL, MDX, ZDX, TL Base, Crosstour). They need to find a way to improve ride quality AND also lower road noise.
Old 08-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My wife has AWD in her RDX so I'm going the FWD route just to have a different ride option. I do love the way her car drives though and I wish that turdo was an option in the TL.

I love the stiching in the AWD TL over the Tech.
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
we can close this now...thanks for all the help guys, went with the sh/at/tech in pm/ebony...

38k before ttl, with tinted windows and locking lugs and some other minor crap...

the ride is much smoother then my type s was, so for the comments about its too harsh over rough roads, i dont see it, this car is much smoother over my type s...love it soo far