The Long Wait Is (almost) Over

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 09:30 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking The Long Wait Is (almost) Over

For those of you who enjoy your 6MT as much as I do, you can imagine my anxiety over not being able to drive it for the last four months. I mean, I could have driven it all winter, but since I have a Jeep and a garage, and this winter has been terrible, I garaged it back in October. Its been stuck in the garage behind walls of snow, which I have been shoveling a bit at a time, and it looks like i"ll have it clear within a week or so! The good news is I only have 7k miles on it, and with a Takeda SRI being installed in a few weeks, I think I'm going to have fun this spring and summer! I would love to get an exhaust too, but i'm paranoid about setting off a CEL.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:33 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
Originally Posted by JrcTL
For those of you who enjoy your 6MT as much as I do, you can imagine my anxiety over not being able to drive it for the last four months. I mean, I could have driven it all winter, but since I have a Jeep and a garage, and this winter has been terrible, I garaged it back in October. Its been stuck in the garage behind walls of snow, which I have been shoveling a bit at a time, and it looks like i"ll have it clear within a week or so! The good news is I only have 7k miles on it, and with a Takeda SRI being installed in a few weeks, I think I'm going to have fun this spring and summer! I would love to get an exhaust too, but i'm paranoid about setting off a CEL.
Awesome! my 6mt been on jack stands for 3 weeks, I can feel your pain!
get the exhuast! I dont think there are any sensors back there, so it should not set off the CEL.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:50 PM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by JrcTL
No CEL's with mine! Sounds freaking sick.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:34 PM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
The Long Wait is (almost) Over

Could you tell me some of the steps you took to store your car over the winter period ? i picked up mine in Feb and i currently have it parked in the garage until April when i will bring it out for the summer months. I plan to store it again in the winter so i would like to know what would be the proper way to do so.
Thank you.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KarKraze
The Long Wait is (almost) Over

Could you tell me some of the steps you took to store your car over the winter period ? i picked up mine in Feb and i currently have it parked in the garage until April when i will bring it out for the summer months. I plan to store it again in the winter so i would like to know what would be the proper way to do so.
Thank you.
I don't think there is one "proper" way to store a car, it comes down to your preferences/concerns. Some people put the car on jack stands to take weight off the suspension and prevent dry-rotting of the tires. Personally, I'm not too concerned about the whole suspension thing, and I think someone could make an argument that its not good having zero weight on the susp. for months. I start the car every 7-10 days to keep the battery good, and to get oil moving in the engine. I also test all the windows, sunroof, and run the climate control(heat) to get the fun running. Not everyone does this, but again I just think its a good idea to keep things used to being run while in storage. I make sure I back up the car as much as possible and park it a foot or two off from where it was parked when started, so that the tires are in different spots during the storage time. Other than that, my only other concern is oil. The car comes stock with conventional oil, which can break down over time. I didn't want to have to mess with the cars normal oil change recommendations, so for my first oil change I put in a high quality full synthetic, which wont break down as fast, and I'm able to change oil under the normal schedule. Everyone has preferences on oil, but I've been using Penzoil Ultra. If its good enough for Ferrari, its good enough for Acura! Hope this helps!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Intermediate

Oh crap, and i forgot, buy a bottle of Stabil fuel stabilizer, it will last the entire storage period, otherwise your gas could go bad. I think its like $5 bucks.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:25 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Just discontect the battery, top off the gas tank and throw in some stabalizer and you'll be good to go. Buy a battery charger and in the spring top off the battery with a full charge and you'll be good to go. Been doing this with the Mustang for years and so far so good.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:51 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by jspagna1
Just discontect the battery, top off the gas tank and throw in some stabalizer and you'll be good to go. Buy a battery charger and in the spring top off the battery with a full charge and you'll be good to go. Been doing this with the Mustang for years and so far so good.
Good to know. Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 673 Likes on 542 Posts
Thanks for all the advise i have recieved so far,it was pretty much in line with my plans for storage and i wanted to hear from people who went through the process before, with regards to the battery i was planning on using a charger called Battery Tender which keeps the battery at its original state of charge,however i think i would like to start the car from time to time to keep the oil circulated as JcrTl suggested.Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2011, 07:12 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Jrc

As a fellow RI'er, In also feel frustrated, but in a different way. The TL has been my daily driver all winter, but had to park the 91 NSX for the entire winter. This is the first time without the NSX all winter.

The TL is black, but decided to not wash it all winter (what's the point, it would get dirty the next day). The OEM tires have been ok, but next winter I will get some dedicated winter tires, it's just not worth the chance.

This car has been great, the traction is second to none, but tires do make a huge difference when the conditions are icy. For example, I prefer to take my wife's 04 TL which has blizzaks, in bad conditions because the tires are more important than awd, IMO.

Last edited by 91NSX; 02-21-2011 at 07:15 PM.