Loaner cars - what's up with this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Loaner cars - what's up with this?

I made an appointment with a dealer for service (warranty minor issues) and I was told that they do not offer loaner cars unless it's a guaranteed 3 hours of work. But they do offer a shuttle.

What's up with that?????

Must be something major to require 3 hours of labor!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
It varies from dealer from dealer. Sometimes, it depends if the dealer has enough available cars to loan out. If they're very busy, sometimes they may not have enough loaners.

When they quote you work times, it's just an estimate. They may say 3 hours, but it all depends on their work load. It can be more or less.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know that with our dealership, we give preferred treatment to those who actually purchased from us and to those who have a history in our service department - from there it's based on the job required and then availability of the demos.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Interesting. This is not the dealer that I bought from who did offer me a loaner for the same issues. This dealer is more convenient for me during the weekdays as I work in a nearby state and I stay there for the whole week.

I only made an appointment after a few people recommended them here.
Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
3 hour makes sense though. For me, if the work is not going to take more than 3 hours I rather just wait. Last time I took my car in to fix the speaker, they want to give me a loaner and I just told them I'll wait instead. Didn't want the trouble to have to take the car back to dealer after work.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:07 PM
an adult perspective

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have owned 2 previous Acuras, and had them both serviced at a dealer other than where I purchased them ... with loaner cars and no issues (for every 7,500 mile service). My new TL was purchased at a dealer who - as part of their Lifetime Luxury Package - is offering me:

1) Free Oil changes for the 4 yr/50,000 mile warranty interval ... but only if I get them all done at the selling dealer. Miss one, no more free oil.
2) Loaner Car for Life from their 'limited fleet' of loaners - if none available, they'll get one from Enterprise - but with the following caveats:
a) Car needs to be in the shop for driveability or safety issues
b) Major Services ... defined as 30K, 60K, 90K Mile service, or any service that takes longer than 2 hours
c) Loaner Cars will not be provided for Oil Changes of Body Shop Repairs.

Bottom line ... any/every dealer sets their own rules. I'm very well known at my servicing dealer, and have gotten many "good will" fixes over the years, especially with my recently traded CL. My decision is an absolutely no brainer.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dtc5
3 hour makes sense though. For me, if the work is not going to take more than 3 hours I rather just wait. Last time I took my car in to fix the speaker, they want to give me a loaner and I just told them I'll wait instead. Didn't want the trouble to have to take the car back to dealer after work.
I can't wait at all, not even 30 mins. M-F as I need to get to work. So for me, it's best to get a loaner. Yeah, they have a shuttle but I don't know how late or often it runs. Last thing I need is "last shuttle at 4pm" and I have a 5pm meeting! With a loaner I can go whenever. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.

I often wait on weekends but there are things that my local dealer won't do on weekends, like resolving squeaks and rattles. I guess they want Saturdays for the "low hanging fruits" like oil changes, tires, etc.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:30 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess it all depends on the dealer and what they have available, everytime I have taken my car's in for service even if it is just a oil change they have offered me a car. sometimes i turn it down, and sometimes take it.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
My dealer (Ramsey Acura) gave me a loaner when I got my front bumper repainted, and when they painted my rotors, both of which were a few hours worth of work, since I'm under 24, I had to make sure i called well in advance to ensure I was able to get one of the dealer loaners (which are different than "acura loaners" apparantly)
Old 11-09-2009, 03:01 PM
Burning Brakes

That's where I bought my car from too (Ramsey). And they have offered me a loaner each time I discussed about service in the future. Unfortunately I work up in the Boston area during the week (long story) so Ramsey Acura will see very little of my service needs other than oil changes on a Saturday. For that I'll just wait.

I've made Acura of Boston my home away from home dealer for service. They have been extremely nice, knowledge, and very friendly, even though I didn't buy the car from them. I did by the extended warranty from their online store. As a matter of fact I'm going in for a second time to address a rattle next week and a loaner was offered.