Latest test drives and new car on the horizon

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Latest test drives and new car on the horizon

Hello,

Well it has come down to it. I have been quite active in the last months with a new job, new home and a whole new life. The Car department was not left behind as I went for a couple of test drives as well. While I love my 2009 TL, I was looking for something else so I dropped by to 3 dealerships: Acura (of course), Infiniti and Audi. BMW did not make the cut because of the Boring factor and I did not stop at Cadillac for the CTS-V because I think it's too much of a car for me. Maybe in a few years...

My test drives originate from 2 basic problems I had with my current Acura Dealership: they are super nice people, very helpful but they won't help me to mod the car the way I want it so no HFPCD, HFC, Brakes of whatever. They also couldn't find any 6MT TL to test drives. So if I can't mod my car with my dealership support and understanding and I can't get the High performance version...well it really bugged me.

Anyway, I still drove the 2012 TL Advance SH-AWD and came very impressed. All I can say is that this mid size sport sedan have matured quite a lot during the MMC. While I think some things need to be worked out, there is no denying that this MMC is a major improvement (styling is a matter of taste, I'm referring to the overall feel and small improvements). But at the same time, it felt supremely well balanced but it lost some of it grainy unrefined edge that brought me to it 2 years ago. In the end, the car it also too big for my needs and with the head restraint position, I must tilt back my seats so much that it become almost like in a coupe...Nevertheless, it is a very strong overall performer. For someone with people to carry on a regular basis, the 2012 TL represents a clear and logical choice.

I also went to test drive the S4 and S5. First the great: interiors are first rate and I never had as much front space in a car, I did not even needed to push the seat all the way back. The cars were quiet as well. The engines were superbs and while the v8 has its own charm (but the tone seemed lackluster to me unless I rolled the windows down), there is no denying that the superc'd v6 is the engine to get. It's so flexible and you go fast retardly too quickly. For the bad part, the seats were ok but had an annoying bump between the shoulder blades, the S4 arm rest on the driver's door are too short for the space provided by the front seats meaning my elbow was always in an awkward position at all time and the engines were too quiet for me so I did not feel involved while driving those cars, I felt detached in a bad way. The ride was punishing to say the least and Audi offer a strange compromise, wither you have an ok ride firmness and a light and numb steering or you have a tooth shattering ride with a good steering feedback, I just didn't get it. After weighting the pros and cons and especially with the prices for 36 or 48 months lease: 1650 $/ month to 1250 $/ months depending on S5 vs. S4 and 36 vs. 48 months, I decided there would be no Audi in the family. I just don't see the value, sure it perform better but I wouldn't even enjoy it...it doesn't make sense to me...for 700 $+ per month. Yeah, you read that right, Coupe for coupe the S5 was 700 $/months more than a G37xS coupe. How's that for value???

Lastly, I went to Infiniti and I think I've found my match. After trying the G37xS coupe, I decided that would be my next car. The dealership is giving me a good price for the TL (I'm over by a few thousands so it will pay the new tires and more), offer full support for mods and they even have an agreement with Stillen if I want to install a supercharger (which I won't since I will probably die wrapped around a tree if I install it J/K). The Sport package adds what was missing in 2008-2010: sport brakes and sport seats for the main part. The Coupe is the right size I want and as the rear seats fold down, the small trunk should not be a problem. I loved the VQ engine eventhough it is less refined than the J37. The paddle shifters are great too and Infiniti has it's own touches, different from Acura. I know the interior isn't has nice, the electronics not as user friendly but the performance is there and I will keep modding the car to my liking. Of the three, it is the car that offer me the best steering/handling/ ride compromise I was looking for.

As a side note, the dealership offer me a loaner each time I'll be in the shop which is very nice for me compared to the shuttle provided by Acura dealership. I also got free car washes as often as I like and I had a great time with my salesman since he's a real car nut so it was straight business, no BSing unlike the Audi salesman that referred to the status of driving an S4 and S5. In the end, I can finally get a coupe and see if I like that.

So I will leave the Acura stable for now but I will lurk around as I have found many great and intelligent posters here. I might return in a few short years if Acura decide to offer something more sporty or produce enough of 6MT so I can try one in Canada.

The wheels are ordered for the G37xS coupe and next will be RB 2 pieces rotors (front and rear) and Hotchis sway bars. It should be fun!

So safe motoring to all of you, I will see you around!

Regards,
-YetiTL
Old 05-29-2011, 07:04 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Congrats on the G.
The following users liked this post:
YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 09:58 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
Nice choice! That was me a year ago. As much as I drooled over the styling of the Audi. No way would I shell out that much coin for a car at this point in my life. The TL was just too big for my needs and I couldn't get over the exterior styling the pre-MMC 4th Gen. It drove great, but had an auto transmission that wasn't suited to its performance potential.

I ended up with the G. Zero regrets on my end. Use it in good health!
YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Congratulations on the decision. I've had a few Infinitis and was very pleased with them.
YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 AM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very nice choice! Enjoy!
YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Pro

Thanks so much to all of you. That is a reason why I'll still be around: we have a great community! So to all of you!
Old 05-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Drifting

Received 566 Likes on 365 Posts
I think you made a good choice. I've always liked the G coupes and at one time thought that would be my next car. But I needed a little more room, and wanted the 6MT, so I would have been restricted to RWD, which is a non-starter here in the winter.

Congrats and good luck.
YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 05-29-2011, 10:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Man, congrats on your choice. I'm anxious to see pictures....

YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Pro

Insert image does not work, could someone help me?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...3quarters.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...esizedsma.jpg/

Racing brakes 2 pieces rotors, ET500 pads and SS brakes lines, Hotchkis sways and Enkei RP-03 with Michelin Pilot Sper Sport coming in fast!
Old 06-18-2011, 10:21 AM
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
That's a beautiful car Yeti. The G coupe has always been on my list of favorites. I was seriously considering the G37 Convertible but I really needed AWD. Enjoy your new ride!
YetiTL (06-18-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Brother Acura
That's a beautiful car Yeti. The G coupe has always been on my list of favorites. I was seriously considering the G37 Convertible but I really needed AWD. Enjoy your new ride!
Thank you! You also have a new ride as I can tell. Enjoy it! The 2012 TL is one of the finest and most balanced sport sedan out there. Coming from a 2009, I wanted something else for reasons already explained but the 2012 seemed and felt so balanced: the engine, tranny, SH-AWD and the brakes are all top notch. When yours is broken in, have fun with the paddles and let the Tach climb to 6 800 RPM, it really sounds nice...very good engine and great gearing: no real flat spot just smooth delivery...

You earned it now enjoy it, life is too short to be boring and full of compromises.
Old 06-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Drifting

Sweet-looking G, Yeti!
YetiTL (07-11-2011)
Old 06-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Nice n clean G man.
YetiTL (07-11-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 543 Likes on 351 Posts
Congrats! :-) How are you liking it so far? I have been casually thinking about a G coupe as well...
YetiTL (07-11-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by YetiTL
Insert image does not work, could someone help me?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...3quarters.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...esizedsma.jpg/

Racing brakes 2 pieces rotors, ET500 pads and SS brakes lines, Hotchkis sways and Enkei RP-03 with Michelin Pilot Sper Sport coming in fast!
YetiTL, I hope you don't mind. Sweet ride by the way!

YetiTL (07-11-2011)
Old 06-26-2011, 10:30 PM
Back at it with the TL SH

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
Nice choice on the car. Can you also post pics of the interior?

JM2010- dude can you post detail pics of your wheels? They look like the ones I am looking for.
YetiTL (07-11-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 04:15 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
Congratulation, very nice choice.

Infiniti was a very close second when I got my TL SH-AWD....I eventually exluded them (both G and M) because no manual transmission available with AWD otherwise I maye have gone with them.

Last edited by saturno_v; 06-28-2011 at 04:18 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:04 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Congrats. The aftermarket support for these cars is ridiculous. The new VQ37HR is a great engine. It's a gas hungry beast but performance wise IMHO is better than the J37.

If the day ever comes that you want to go force induction, save your money on Stillen because chances are your dealership will only warranty it at Stage 1. There are several other choices out there that are much better.

I've been in the Infiniti/Nissan scene for a long time. I would suggest spending some time over at my37.com, g35driver, my350z, and my370z.com.
YetiTL (07-11-2011)
Old 06-29-2011, 10:58 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hello,
...no BSing unlike the Audi salesman that referred to the status of driving an S4 and S5...
Regards,
-YetiTL
lol, so that's why my douche-bag neighbor drives one!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Pro

After 1500 miles and 4 weeks later

Thanks for the kind words everybody and a special thank you to Treblig for posting the pics.

After a few weeks I can say the gas bills aren't different than the TL I am exactly at what the TL was consuming and the insurance are roughly the same.

I will post other pics but I will wait when the wheels get on the car.

During the 3 weeks it has been stock, I like pretty much everything but I was aware of some compromises:

interior build quality, electronics integration, AWD, fit and finish go to the TL. Stock vs. Stock, the TL handles better due to IMHO a stiffer chassis, whether it is due to bigger sway bars or the chassis itself.

Exterior, usable space (folding rear seat FTW), exhaust note, sport seats (headrest was definitly too aggressive for me in the TL and the thigh extension/sidebolster adjustments is usefull for someone like me with a large upper back but narrow waist with loooooonnnng legs lol), acceleration, driving feel goes to the G37xS coupe. I know the driving feel is heavier but with the mods I did it became an in between from the G37 and the TL SH-AWD: lighter than the G but much more precise and heavier still than the 09 TL AWD. I really like it!

The 3 big OTHER factors are: 1) better dealership support with Infiniti in Ottawa vs. Acura for aftermarket parts, 2) I really love the intimacy of the coupe. It is a real joy to drive, nice, tight, comfortable.What I was most surprised of was 3) the joy to have a gate shifter and the great magnesium paddles on the column. I still like the AT for when I'm stuck in traffic but it is a real joy to shift the gear with the gear lever and/or the paddles. Both give a satisfying feel (which was not the case in the S4, the small paddles were akward to use to say the least) and I really feel I got the best of both worlds. I don't kid myself, it is not the same level of engagement than driving a pure manual car but it is good enough for me when I consider the reality of daily commuting and having enough place in the footwell for my long shoes lol....

----------- mods & all that -----------------
Got the Racing brakes done (2 pieces rotors and ET500 pads) and Hotchkis sway bars and what a difference! I couldn't install the SS brake lines due to banjo application problems for the front brakes but so far, the ride is tighter with much less body roll(I can still stiffen front once and rear twice!) and I remove 8 lbs of unsprung weight front and 4 lbs rear so it rides much smoother. Bumps are easier to absorb so you feel the roads imperfections but your teeth fillings don't fall off...

With the new wheels, we're looking at 12 lbs per front wheels and 8-9 lbs per rear wheels so the car should ride like a dream and be significantly faster too.

For the rest of the mods, that might be a aftermarket y pipe mated to a Fujitsubo exhaust for a deeper, richer but quiet sound. Should give an additional 10-15 whp and 15-20 tq to play with. I'm a big fan of Jpipe (J37)/ y pipe (VQ). It gives good mid range punch without touching the cats or any sensors. In fact, I miss the racy sound of my J37 engine with the Jpipe in my old 09 TL, what a nice sounds it made! Nice racy banshee wail up high and the car was flying from 3500 RPM to the redline. Ahhhh good memories! Equipped like that, the TL felt like the Tumbler from the last 2 Batman movies: sinister, stable in any situation thanks to SH-AWD and quick enough to quench my thirst for speed.
-----------------------------------------

Closing thoughts so far:

The TL SH-AWD has been a great car and if I had a dealer more supportive to my mods desire AND a bigger garage, I would probably have traded for a 2012 TL sh-awd and mod it (HFPCD + J Pipe ftw!) to make it a sinister but classy beast.

However, things are different and so far, I do not regret my choice. The G37xS coupe is a great car stock (please change the tires it somes with though) with a great overall package (like a solid B+ student: good at everything but extraordinary in no particular field). It does not have the same distinctive cues than the TL which is dominated by the SH-AWD system (this guy got an A+ in handling but a C on some other aspect namely looks for some, old 5AT and some interior quirks) but both cars are great, it only depends what you really want or need.

Enough written, I got a couple of winding roads to attack tonight!

Drive fast but safely, let the douchebags wrap-up around trees and telephone post
Old 07-11-2011, 06:19 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
lol, so that's why my douche-bag neighbor drives one!
Bingo!
Old 07-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mr.Skytech
JM2010- dude can you post detail pics of your wheels? They look like the ones I am looking for.
Yeah, I will get you some. They're just the stock AWD Tech wheels; car is a 2010, purchased in February of 2010.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:42 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Hello,

Well it has come down to it. I have been quite active in the last months with a new job, new home and a whole new life. The Car department was not left behind as I went for a couple of test drives as well. While I love my 2009 TL, I was looking for something else so I dropped by to 3 dealerships: Acura (of course), Infiniti and Audi. BMW did not make the cut because of the Boring factor and I did not stop at Cadillac for the CTS-V because I think it's too much of a car for me. Maybe in a few years...

My test drives originate from 2 basic problems I had with my current Acura Dealership: they are super nice people, very helpful but they won't help me to mod the car the way I want it so no HFPCD, HFC, Brakes of whatever. They also couldn't find any 6MT TL to test drives. So if I can't mod my car with my dealership support and understanding and I can't get the High performance version...well it really bugged me.

Anyway, I still drove the 2012 TL Advance SH-AWD and came very impressed. All I can say is that this mid size sport sedan have matured quite a lot during the MMC. While I think some things need to be worked out, there is no denying that this MMC is a major improvement (styling is a matter of taste, I'm referring to the overall feel and small improvements). But at the same time, it felt supremely well balanced but it lost some of it grainy unrefined edge that brought me to it 2 years ago. In the end, the car it also too big for my needs and with the head restraint position, I must tilt back my seats so much that it become almost like in a coupe...Nevertheless, it is a very strong overall performer. For someone with people to carry on a regular basis, the 2012 TL represents a clear and logical choice.

I also went to test drive the S4 and S5. First the great: interiors are first rate and I never had as much front space in a car, I did not even needed to push the seat all the way back. The cars were quiet as well. The engines were superbs and while the v8 has its own charm (but the tone seemed lackluster to me unless I rolled the windows down), there is no denying that the superc'd v6 is the engine to get. It's so flexible and you go fast retardly too quickly. For the bad part, the seats were ok but had an annoying bump between the shoulder blades, the S4 arm rest on the driver's door are too short for the space provided by the front seats meaning my elbow was always in an awkward position at all time and the engines were too quiet for me so I did not feel involved while driving those cars, I felt detached in a bad way. The ride was punishing to say the least and Audi offer a strange compromise, wither you have an ok ride firmness and a light and numb steering or you have a tooth shattering ride with a good steering feedback, I just didn't get it. After weighting the pros and cons and especially with the prices for 36 or 48 months lease: 1650 $/ month to 1250 $/ months depending on S5 vs. S4 and 36 vs. 48 months, I decided there would be no Audi in the family. I just don't see the value, sure it perform better but I wouldn't even enjoy it...it doesn't make sense to me...for 700 $+ per month. Yeah, you read that right, Coupe for coupe the S5 was 700 $/months more than a G37xS coupe. How's that for value???

Lastly, I went to Infiniti and I think I've found my match. After trying the G37xS coupe, I decided that would be my next car. The dealership is giving me a good price for the TL (I'm over by a few thousands so it will pay the new tires and more), offer full support for mods and they even have an agreement with Stillen if I want to install a supercharger (which I won't since I will probably die wrapped around a tree if I install it J/K). The Sport package adds what was missing in 2008-2010: sport brakes and sport seats for the main part. The Coupe is the right size I want and as the rear seats fold down, the small trunk should not be a problem. I loved the VQ engine eventhough it is less refined than the J37. The paddle shifters are great too and Infiniti has it's own touches, different from Acura. I know the interior isn't has nice, the electronics not as user friendly but the performance is there and I will keep modding the car to my liking. Of the three, it is the car that offer me the best steering/handling/ ride compromise I was looking for.

As a side note, the dealership offer me a loaner each time I'll be in the shop which is very nice for me compared to the shuttle provided by Acura dealership. I also got free car washes as often as I like and I had a great time with my salesman since he's a real car nut so it was straight business, no BSing unlike the Audi salesman that referred to the status of driving an S4 and S5. In the end, I can finally get a coupe and see if I like that.

So I will leave the Acura stable for now but I will lurk around as I have found many great and intelligent posters here. I might return in a few short years if Acura decide to offer something more sporty or produce enough of 6MT so I can try one in Canada.

The wheels are ordered for the G37xS coupe and next will be RB 2 pieces rotors (front and rear) and Hotchis sway bars. It should be fun!

So safe motoring to all of you, I will see you around!

Regards,
-YetiTL
I think you are making a good choice. That said my Acura dealer always gave me a freee loaner if you asked for it, and always washes my car.
Old 07-11-2011, 08:09 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Wow, last week I went to our local Infiniti dealer with a check in hand after doing all my online & over the phone negotiating for nearly the same car except I opted for the 6mt sport (so not AWD.) I then for the sake of comparision walked next door to the Acura dealership where I left in my 2012 TL. I completely did not expect to go back to Acura because I am a huge fan of manual transmission coupes. I would have me a 335i if it weren't for some of the reliability and the immense cost to option on comparably... Anyway, beautiful car! I really liked the Black 2011 G37S I was looking at but the small size inside (my head was literally hitting the rear window when sitting in the back) and the difference in feel just didn't do it for me. Once I sat behind the wheel of the TL I was hooked once again.

Best of luck with the G! I am sure you will have no regrets!
Old 07-11-2011, 09:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
great choice by a wise young man

Congrats on choosing an amazing coupe. I had an M35 sport, and an FX35 for a while....loved them both and probably should have stuck with the M rather than trading it in for my '09 MDX, but no regrets...I don't know how to stay in ANY car for more than two years.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:15 PM
Autofahrer

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
I was deciding between the G37x and the TL. Never actually drove the G37x Coupe, which finally happened last week.

The coupe is so much nicer than the sedan. Well, let's see what Inifinit spits out for the 2012...
Old 07-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Pro

For those who requested some interior pics and I also took a pic of my (dirty) coupe with my new wheels and tires. One word: GET the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, they are still brand new but OMG so much better than the Hankook Ventus (which were great tires in their own right):

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...r1resized.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...r2resized.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...r3resized.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...04resized.jpg/

I missed the shift gate, driver seats and the paddle shifters, I will post some new pics soon.

Sidenote #1: I got my wheels and tires installed yesterday (see sign.) and 1 wheel fitted in the trunk and all 3 fitted in the back seat. I was amazed. So the coupe still has some useful space afterall!

Got myself a new Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc with adyno on it and did some quick runs. The car runs like a bullet train now! Think sub 5 secs time and 1/4 mile in the mid-low 13...

I did a whole review of the mods here:

http://myg37.com/forums/brakes-and-s...er-sports.html

I wish you all happy and safe motoring. Enjoy your cars be it TL or G37 or whatever. We live in the golden age of the gas engine so enjoy it while we can!

YetiTL
Old 07-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Nice pics. I have always like that analog clock of the luxury brands.. I just find that touch a nice one. It always takes me an extra second to find the digital clock readout on the 4G TL.