It's growing on me

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
It's growing on me

i took my mdx in today for service and rec'd a 09 TL w/tech as a loaner. got to keep it overnight and put somemiles on it to go out to dinner and take it on a slightly twisty road.

i have to say i reallly liked it. the look is even growing on me. the car is a joy to drive. very smooth. power is great. the car just pulled and pulled on the freeway as I was merging..before i knew it I was way over speedlimit..the car doesn't have an abrupt VTEC kick, it just keep pulliing and pulling...it's deceptively fast...

handling was nice. it's not a TL type S in the turns, but it does fine. the ride was really smooth, firm enough to not feel floaty, but not too firm. if you want something "sporty" you won't like it, but for a cruiser, DD, it's fine.

the interior room was great. we took all three of our kids - one is in a carseat and another in a booster..so even with the two "seats" the third fit in there no problem. lots of legroom. much more than the 3G TL.

very quiet. the car is well insulated. much quieter inside than our MDX...

overall I thoroughly enjoyed the car. i can see why Acura gives these as loaners. we are car shopping right now and had been looking at used CPO 3G TLs, but with the crazy high prices the dealers are trying to get, it's making a lease on a 4G look like the way to go.

the look of this car really turned me off when it first came out. i hated it. it's starting to grow on me. the loaner we rec'd is white diamond pearl - nice color. that color on ebony interior... ohhhh..nice.

i'm almost afraid to drive an SH-AWD for fear that I'll want one and then really blow the wad on a car payment...
Old 07-16-2009, 03:02 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
glad you like it! yes WDP with ebony interior is quite nice
Old 07-16-2009, 06:15 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
you've come a long way from this statement:

Originally Posted by 23109VC
I thought the new TL would grow on me - but I still think it is one butt ugly car.

Sorry. The truth may hurt - but it's the truth. Acura f*ucked up on the TL. Period.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:13 AM
Instructor

i took my mdx in today for service and rec'd a 09 TL w/tech as a loaner. got to keep it overnight and put somemiles on it to go out to dinner and take it on a slightly twisty road.

i have to say i reallly liked it. the look is even growing on me. the car is a joy to drive. very smooth. power is great. the car just pulled and pulled on the freeway as I was merging..before i knew it I was way over speedlimit..the car doesn't have an abrupt VTEC kick, it just keep pulliing and pulling...it's deceptively fast...

handling was nice. it's not a TL type S in the turns, but it does fine. the ride was really smooth, firm enough to not feel floaty, but not too firm. if you want something "sporty" you won't like it, but for a cruiser, DD, it's fine.

the interior room was great. we took all three of our kids - one is in a carseat and another in a booster..so even with the two "seats" the third fit in there no problem. lots of legroom. much more than the 3G TL.

very quiet. the car is well insulated. much quieter inside than our MDX...

overall I thoroughly enjoyed the car. i can see why Acura gives these as loaners. we are car shopping right now and had been looking at used CPO 3G TLs, but with the crazy high prices the dealers are trying to get, it's making a lease on a 4G look like the way to go.

the look of this car really turned me off when it first came out. i hated it. it's starting to grow on me. the loaner we rec'd is white diamond pearl - nice color. that color on ebony interior... ohhhh..nice.

i'm almost afraid to drive an SH-AWD for fear that I'll want one and then really blow the wad on a car payment...
Handling on the SH-AWD is significantly better than the FWD. Turn the wheel and press the pedal to the floor simultaneously, and... no torque steer. It was like magic compared to the 07 TL-S I drove back to back. It did the best of anything I test drove on my local curvey road, but that could also just be my driving style.

To me it is one of the things that actually 'wow'd me, but I am a spirited driver. I understand the FWD exists for those who want the more cushy ride.

Originally Posted by ggesq
When I first started on the forum I read the 'what do you think of the exterior looks of the 09 TL' thread. You know, forum etiquette, check out the stickies. Then I started reading the actual threads. I was so confused when I saw so many people calling the TL 'ass ugly' and then posting in another thread entirely about 'how great this car drives' and how the looks 'aren't so bad after all.'
Old 07-16-2009, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by ggesq
Yes I know. I really did hate it.... as did a lot of other people.... but it grows on you.

I still don't "love" the way it looks, but I have to say from some angles I like it. Last night after I parked it and was walking away, I was looking back at it, and hte long sloping roofline, and the rear end, rear spoiler, angular lines....I thought it looked kind of good.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I felt the same way for a long time. On July 4th I bought a Royal Blue SHAWD and had the grill and trunk lip painted to match the body. I really like the looks now and get a lot of compliments. Once you get used to how nice this car is, there is no going back.
Old 07-16-2009, 08:28 PM
User-approved

I said in the TSX forum

... the upcoming V6 option was my only choice because I couldn't get past the ugly nose of the TL. Shortly after that I took my RDX in for service and was given a SH-AWD TL as a loaner.

I BEEN HYPNOTIZED!!!
Drifting

now I just need to decide if getting one is a wise financial move. I had been looking at buying a low mileage used 2008 TL base w/nav OR a 2008 Type S...but honestly, the dealers are asking a LOT for used 08s. Most local dealers to me, So Cal, for an 08 Type S that has 10-15kmiles - are asking $33k-35k. I KNOW for a fact these exact cars sold, brand new, in late 2008 for around $31,500-32k MAX. now they are trying to get MORE than they sold for n ew..nuts.

why would anyone buy a used 08 for $33k when you can get a NEW 09 TL w/tech for $34k?!?!?!? insane.

i might go to 29k for the 08 Type S..butg every dealer I've made that offer to has flat out refused... there comes a point where it makes more sense to just buy or lease an 09 instead of paying the nutty prices on a used 08....

so.... i sitll have my loaner! the part they needed for my MDX didn't come in and I have the car overnight again. wife,kids, and I are heading out to the store..we might have to take the "long" way.. make the loaner experience into a really extended test drive.
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Warning to 23109VC!

On May 29th I took my 2002 MDX in for service and was given a FWD/Tech as a loaner. Brought it back later that day and test drove an SH-AWD/Tech. My plan was to keep the MDX another couple years and buy a 2011 TL, hence my screen name. That night I decided to pull the plug and came home the next day with a new TL/Tech/SH-AWD.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 PM
My beer fridge is in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
must be good kool-aid
Old 07-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Pro

Yeah, testing a TL SH-AWD has been the killer blow for me...

Don't do it!...you'll regret it for the rest of your lease/finance...gasp!

okay, sarcasm is over! If you don't want to create a new expensive desire then don't go test the SH-AWD...lol!
Old 07-17-2009, 06:09 AM
I spend 2 much time here

Received 103 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by vern1999
I felt the same way for a long time. On July 4th I bought a Royal Blue SHAWD and had the grill and trunk lip painted to match the body. I really like the looks now and get a lot of compliments. Once you get used to how nice this car is, there is no going back.
post any pics yet?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 740 Likes on 435 Posts
The AWD shoudl come with a Surgeon General Warning that " Drivng the SH-AWD may become addictive and shoudl be test driven only when you are sure you can afford it..."

When you drive one you are hooked, I hated the look of the 4G then drove the AWD and kept coming back until I got one. I was sure Iw as going to be in a G37, but after driving SH-AWD no contest.... The looks are growing on me, still prefer my 08 Type-S styling better, but the 4G AWD is such an awesome ride so much more refined than the 3G Type-S!
Old 07-17-2009, 08:29 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by vern1999
If I might ask, what did it cost to have them painted?

Thanks
Old 07-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by jjsC5
If I might ask, what did it cost to have them painted?

Thanks
They originally wanted $895; I talked them down to $398.
Another dealership quoted me $495. It really makes all the difference for me ... sorry I don't have pictures.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:17 PM
9th Gear

Saw the new 4G TL model earlier this year for the first time when i stepped into the dealership i was blown away by the looks. i thought it looked bad ass, then i read up about it and of course the front grill was the biggest issue, it started to get me not liking the grill lol..though i just kept researching it and viewing more and more pics, i got hooked. and on Nov. a got 2010 TL SH-AWD Tech Black/Black, and enjoy every minute driving it
Old 12-14-2009, 12:55 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I think the new styling is soo advanced that people will end up liking it and I think it will be popular for awhile because it's so different.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:17 PM
Instructor

I was behind a white Tech and man I saw some angles with the color difference that Ive never seen before. Car is wicked in white.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you really need to see it in person. It just somehow doesn't photograph well.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
is out, so the

I second the "it pulls you in" theory.

I test drove the FWD TL, and I wasn't crazy about it. It was Palladium, which isn't my favorite color, with HPT package. I thought it rode pretty rough with the 19" wheels. They seemed to slap on every little imperfection. Performance was okay, but it didn't feel any faster than my TL-S.

I then went back -lol- to drive the SH-AWD. I loved it. It was White Diamond Pearl, my favorite color (obviously) with the HPT package. The weird thing was, it felt softer than the FWD model. I guess the stiffer suspension controls the weight of the wheels better or something? I'm not sure, but it was smoother. The HPT package is a let down for me. I like the regular 18" SH-AWD wheels better than the 19" 5-spoke wheels. I wish we could get the regular SH-AWD wheels in a bigger size... Acceleration was a little better, but it still didn't feel faster than my TL-S. The 3.7L really loves to rev and is very smooth. I love that the TL is a bigger car than 3-Series, G, etc., but doesn't have a bigness when driving it. I'm 6'2" and felt really cramped in a 335i and C350. The car does look better in person. I looked at it for a good 30 minutes and didn't really find an angle I didn't like. It is different and definitely gets noticed. I felt like everyone was staring at me when I was driving it. lol
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM
5th Gear

I must admit when I saw the redesign of the TL I didn't like it. After seeing one in person I think its edgy and unique. Thats the type of car I like.