Internet Pricing vs Negoitiation

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 01:24 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Internet Pricing vs Negoitiation

I'm in the Dallas market for a 2012 TL FWD with the Tech package. Is better to solicit internet quotes verse going in to negotiate? What price have others paid in this area for such a vehicle? Any suggestions on which Dealership(s)? Thanks.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
its better to do it in person.

dealers almost never honor the quote they give you on the internet.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:44 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Solicit initial quotes from the internet from a wide selection of dealers, and then play the top 2-3 off each other. Internet Department that gives prices by email are usually lower than what you get by walking in. Do leave some more negotiating room once you get there. Both Honda and Acura dealers completely honored the quotes I got by email and I was able to add a few freebies once I went in too. Use online information on consumerreports.org to see bottom paid prices and take that as your baseline to shoot for, and can sometimes do better than that.

Last 2 cars bought this way and got pretty decent deals.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:06 PM
Cruisin'

It depends on the dealership. I know that there was a $1500 manufacturer to dealer incentive for TL's that ended Feb 29th. I got mine that day thru a internet quote from a Acura dealership that offered me $1200 below invoice that they honored when I walked in.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:07 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
My last five Acura's purchases were done completely via phone and email. I usually get my best two numbers for sale and trade and then work the two untill I squeeze the best deal available. Obviously model and color combo available at each dealer makes it a little easier to "beat" them up a little... If you are financing try and work the numbers during the promotionals interest rates that HFA sometimes offer... They just had going dealer buy down's from .9%@60mons to 0%@60mons which either is a great deal on Acura's

Last edited by ferrcad; 03-06-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:59 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by wrek94
I know that there was a $1500 manufacturer to dealer incentive for TL's that ended Feb 29th.
My understanding is that this was extended to April 30 and sweetened by $250. Tech/Advance models are another $250 sweeter.

I got mine that day thru a internet quote from a Acura dealership that offered me $1200 below invoice that they honored when I walked in.
Good job!

Over the last fifteen years, the financial arrangements between dealerships and manufacturers have evolved considerably (holdbacks, flooring assistance, etc.), such that an invoice sale is usually a decent profit. Further, at any given time, dealerships in the same region may have wildly different incentives. So, be sure to get proposals from all of them within a reasonable distance.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Drifting

Received 565 Likes on 364 Posts
As others have said, use the phone and internet. You will do much better than the old way of hanging out in showrooms for hours. Be sure to look at and monitor the inventories carried by your dealers. That will help you deal too. Last, check the 4G sign in here, True car and Edmunds to get a sense on pricing in your area. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by sarge_in
Solicit initial quotes from the internet from a wide selection of dealers, and then play the top 2-3 off each other. Internet Department that gives prices by email are usually lower than what you get by walking in. Do leave some more negotiating room once you get there. Both Honda and Acura dealers completely honored the quotes I got by email and I was able to add a few freebies once I went in too. Use online information on consumerreports.org to see bottom paid prices and take that as your baseline to shoot for, and can sometimes do better than that.

Last 2 cars bought this way and got pretty decent deals.
Agreed, insist on best quotes from internet and if your not in the same ball park tell them not to waste your time. Saves you driving time and gas. Then when you find one who is in your price range go in for the kill!
Old 03-06-2012, 10:05 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by musicfan3990
I'm in the Dallas market for a 2012 TL FWD with the Tech package. Is better to solicit internet quotes verse going in to negotiate? What price have others paid in this area for such a vehicle? Any suggestions on which Dealership(s)? Thanks.
In the Dallas area, Mac Churchill, period. Ask for their internet sales manager. I just purchased a base TL from them and they were way below the other area dealers. However, they are still way above dealers in NJ and VA if you're willing to fly out and drive back.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by flchas
My understanding is that this was extended to April 30 and sweetened by $250. Tech/Advance models are another $250 sweeter.

Good job!

Over the last fifteen years, the financial arrangements between dealerships and manufacturers have evolved considerably (holdbacks, flooring assistance, etc.), such that an invoice sale is usually a decent profit. Further, at any given time, dealerships in the same region may have wildly different incentives. So, be sure to get proposals from all of them within a reasonable distance.
It looks like they did extend the incentive for the base ($1750) and tech ($2000) fwd TL's.