Initial Impressions - Amature Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 AM
no more boost in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initial Impressions - Amature Review

I have had the Acura for about a week now and I would like to share some of my experiences with the car. While no automotive journalist, I have some experience with cars - performance and otherwise. Wrenching and driving. This is my first Acura but not my first Honda. I chose this car over others for several reasons.

I should explain what I was looking for before going too much further. I was on the lookout for a single car to replace my weekend / hobby built track car and my DD grown up businessman car whose lease was up.

It had to be AWD and fun to drive, but serious enough for business use. While the new car will not see any track or AutoX time, I wanted a car that performs well. I also looked at Infiniti G37, BMW 335xi, VW R32, and Subaru Leggy Spec.b. Reliability, safety, decent resale value, a good purchase value, and financing incentives were also important factors.

Pics and information about said toy car for review context -

2005 320whp Subaru grocery getter
Engine
Blouch P&P EVO III 16g Turbo Thermo Coated
Cobb AP – street protuned
Cobb DP w/ high flow cat
Cobb Inconel UP
Cobb Turbo Heatshield
DeatschWerks 650cc Fuel Injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump 255Lph Kit
GPMoto silencer delete elbow
STi Air Filter
NGK Iridium Plugs - 1 step colder
OEM Exhaust Gaskets
Cusco Exhaust Hangers
Stromung no resonator Intermediate Pipe
JDM STi Genome axleback
Samco IC Hose Set
Samco Turbo Inlet
STi IC Splitter
Turbo XS TMIC
Transmission
Kartboy Short Shifter & Bushings
Suspension
Cobb Front + Back Sway Bars
Cusco Front + Rear strut braces
RCE front camber plates
Ohlins Fixed Perch Struts - Adjustable
Group N top hats rear
RCE black springs
Brakes
Wilwood 6 pot BBK front
Wilwood 4 pot BBK rear
SS brake lines
Wilwood Pads
Wilwood Fluid
Wheels & Tires
BBS RG-R 18x7.5 street
Goodyear F1 225/40/18
TRmotorsports 17x8.5 track-autox
Dunlop DS z1 SS 255/40/17

My current DD is a big heavy front wheel drive VW called a Passat 3.6. It is what it is, or was soon.

Initial Impressions –
The TL SH.AWD handles well and pulls strongly for a relatively large and heavy car. I haven't had an opportunity to stretch her out yet as I am still breaking in. But I have been able to enjoy some mild on an off highway stuff and a bit of time paddling through a few twisters nearby; I can say that the Acura is very composed for its size and weight under normal spirited driving conditions. It pulls strongly and predictably out of corners and the brakes are easy to modulate.

The ride is actually pretty stiff for a so called luxury sedan and that is one of the reasons I like it. While stiff it does seem to soak up bumps and imperfections without being jarring or overly rough like my WRX is. The Acura provides much better feedback while being more isolated than the Passat.

It hasn’t exhibited any of the anti-lock (oh sh@t) loss of braking while hitting road “imperfections” under a heavy foot that both of my other cars have. Particularly the VW. Because the car hasn’t been on a track I have no way to determine how quickly the brakes will fade with heavy use; but there appears to be some cooling ducting which may prove to be functional. The rotors are also pretty beefy in stock form front and rear.

The car provides a blend of everything I was looking for in all the right places so far. And interestingly there doesn’t appear to be any significant compromises.

These are my just initial impressions and I will try and keep up with them as the car is enjoyed to a fuller extent.
Old 01-12-2009, 09:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by tlinsc

Initial Impressions –
The TL SH.AWD handles well and pulls strongly for a relatively large and heavy car. I haven't had an opportunity to stretch her out yet as I am still breaking in. But I have been able to enjoy some mild on an off highway stuff and a bit of time paddling through a few twisters nearby; I can say that the Acura is very composed for its size and weight under normal spirited driving conditions. It pulls strongly and predictably out of corners and the brakes are easy to modulate.

The ride is actually pretty stiff for a so called luxury sedan and that is one of the reasons I like it. While stiff it does seem to soak up bumps and imperfections without being jarring or overly rough like my WRX is. The Acura provides much better feedback while being more isolated than the Passat.

It hasn’t exhibited any of the anti-lock (oh sh@t) loss of braking while hitting road “imperfections” under a heavy foot that both of my other cars have. Particularly the VW. Because the car hasn’t been on a track I have no way to determine how quickly the brakes will fade with heavy use; but there appears to be some cooling ducting which may prove to be functional. The rotors are also pretty beefy in stock form front and rear.

The car provides a blend of everything I was looking for in all the right places so far. And interestingly there doesn’t appear to be any significant compromises.

These are my just initial impressions and I will try and keep up with them as the car is enjoyed to a fuller extent.
Congrats
I have one thing to say : The new TL is awesome in every thing I love how its look
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 AM
Pro

...but there appears to be some cooling ducting which may prove to be functional...
Congratulations on your TL SH-AWD purchase and, "Yes," those front brake cooling ducts are functional!

Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

Initial Impressions –

contgrats! and enjoy
600 miles & break in is done

"Help assure your vehicle’s future
reliability and performance by paying
extra attention to how you drive
during the first 600 miles (1,000 km)."