Importing US spec TL-SHAWD to Canada?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Importing US spec TL-SHAWD to Canada?

I went for a test drive in the SH-AWD yesterday and was very, very impressed! I LOVED the handling and the sportiness, and the interior was just modern and beautiful. My only concerns are the nose and the small trunk without fold-down seats, but otherwise it's such a fine package that I am tempted to accept these flaws.

Anyway, my main question here is, I may be moving to Calgary, Canada later in the year. I am wondering if anyone here knows how these might work in Canada?

1. Metric display - can you switch everything into metric display easily? That includes the mileage, gas consumption etc?

2. Navigation - do you have to update the system with a Canadian disc or something?

3. Block heater - would you definitely need one in Calgary?

Also, I am wondering if there is anything else major that is different with the Canadian specs, so that I am better off getting the car in Canada when I get there? I see that many people are getting quotes around $38K for the 2010 SH-AWD WITH TECH, so I am wondering what kind of prices people are getting in Canada for the same car? I see that there is a $3500 cash rebate in Canada for the SH-AWD with Tech right now.

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:14 AM
Drifting

Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts
You should be able to change over into Metric on the Nav and MID. You definitely can on the NAV.

Canada will get you the headlight washers, but I think that's the only difference. Remember also that if your money is in USD, so you'll be betting on many things all at once.

The price of a 2010 TL going down.
The strength or weakness of the USD vs the Canadian Dollar. Right now it's 1USD - 1.02 CDN, I've heard they pay close to 48-50k for their TL's up there. Most likely due the additional taxes in Canada.

If you're looking to buy the car this year, I would get it here and not wait to get it in Canada, you're going to pay quite a bit more for it up north.

Either way you go, good luck!
Old 03-07-2010, 11:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by petec2010

The price of a 2010 TL going down.
The strength or weakness of the USD vs the Canadian Dollar. Right now it's 1USD - 1.02 CDN, I've heard they pay close to 48-50k for their TL's up there. Most likely due the additional taxes in Canada.
TL SH-AWD list is $48K before taxes up here. Yes, it's crazy.

That said, you can find deals up here as well as the TLs aren't moving that quick off the lots. Our local dealer here has a dozen at any one time.

Importing US cars makes sense for high-end or used...new, not so much. Check out the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (search RIV website) and you'll get all the details. Once you factor in all of the taxes and fees, you may save a few thousand...is it worth it for the hassle...only you can answer that.
In addition to the speedo...bumpers *may* need to be changed, French labels added (don't get me started!), child restraints may have to be beefed up...it all adds up and detracts from the viability.

Block heater in Calgary....absolutely!

Last edited by Ramrodthrusterpuppy; 03-07-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:27 PM
ieh
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The block heater is a standard part for every car in Calgary, BUT, not for Acura!!! (wtf!?)
I forgot the price...but, I told them to gave the block heater to me for free.

For the navigation, I think the map is for North America, so if you have a US version TL, once you move to Calgary, it will change itself to where you locate.

As Pete said, Canada will get the headlight washers in SH model, also I notice the display is different too, US will use MPH, and Canada use KMH; also the number display in Tire Pressure use different unit too.

For the price, I believe no matter where you lease or finace you can bargain to have a good price, it really depends on how you deal or where to bring up more other places sales items to ask for a good deal!

Hope that will help.=)

Sorry, pics are quite small, hope you can see it.
(US TL)

(Canada TL)
Old 03-07-2010, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Thank you so much, Pete, Ramrod, ieh - I really appreciate all of your information! It is very helpful indeed.

I know that right now, in the US, I can probably get a 2010 SH-AWD with Tech for just over US$38K, which is about CDN$39K. Even with the current CDN$3500 cash rebate for the TL SH-AWD in Canada, will that make it anywhere close to CDN$39K? If there is not a huge price difference, I will just wait until I get to Canada...

Thanks so much again!
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Burning Brakes

Depending on the deal that you can swing up here....it may not be an enough of a delta to make it worth bringing a US car up here. You'd still have to get it certified and plated up here which may eat up the bulk of your savings.

Plus you wouldn't get the headlight washers!
Old 03-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ramrodthrusterpuppy
Depending on the deal that you can swing up here....it may not be an enough of a delta to make it worth bringing a US car up here. You'd still have to get it certified and plated up here which may eat up the bulk of your savings.

Plus you wouldn't get the headlight washers!
Ramrod, is there any way to find out what people are paying for cars up in Canada? In the States, we can check out expected prices on sites like Edmunds.com, CarsDirect.com and ZAG.com. Are there similar websites like that in Canada?

Old 03-09-2010, 12:38 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I don't know about the navigation system, but US models most likely have maps for all of US and Canada already.

The KM's are already on US models, in small numbers inside the MPH. It's not a big deal really, you will get used to it.

I think you would want a block heater. It's only like $200 installed. Especially if you will have to park outside at night. I never use my block heater, but I park in a garage. For maybe 2 weeks a year when it is cold enough, at the office, I wish I had somewhere to plug my car in, but I don't need it. The drive in to work keeps my car warm enough for the day that I starts easily at quittin' time.

You will have to do some paper work at the border.
Maybe even pay 5% GST? I'm not sure.
You will need to do an out of province inspecition before you can get the car registered in Alberta.

Make sure to ask if your financing and warrenty will be ok if you move to Canada.

Last edited by Litt; 03-09-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Litt
I don't know about the navigation system, but US models most likely have maps for all of US and Canada already.
I have the U.S. Nav DVD in my 2006 Canadian TL. It was the update and $100 cheaper than the Canadian version. It works just fine and has all of the same cities and roads. I frequently travel in the U.S. and of course Canada.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ostrich
Ramrod, is there any way to find out what people are paying for cars up in Canada? In the States, we can check out expected prices on sites like Edmunds.com, CarsDirect.com and ZAG.com. Are there similar websites like that in Canada?

Autotrader.ca has a feature like that specified by region and torontocarsdirect.com has a similar tool for the GTA region....should give you a baseline to work from.
Old 03-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DO NOT BUY UP HERE! DO NOT BUY UP HERE! It's ALOT more, even with our $3500 rebate! Even if we could sell you the car for invoice, your "on the road" price will run you about $49,000CDN. The only thing you'll have to check out is the whether or not the warranty will be valid
Old 03-09-2010, 07:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
^ yeah I agree. Check to see if you will still have warranty. I have heard that if you do import a US car, you may lose your warranty. Don't quote me on this.
Old 03-09-2010, 08:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ggesq
^ yeah I agree. Check to see if you will still have warranty. I have heard that if you do import a US car, you may lose your warranty. Don't quote me on this.
That is dependant on the manufacturer..most will honour it, some won't. Don't check with the dealers, most have no idea...check with Honda Canada.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will lose your warranty once you register a U.S. car there.

Last year, we were selling used MDX's left and right to people in Canada. Due to dealer franchise agreements, we could not sell a new one, but something used was fine. Once they registered the car there, the warranty was void, even though the car was originally built in Canada. Most of the customers at that time told me that the car was $15 to $20k cheaper in the U.S. though.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Drifting

Thanks everyone! Actually, even if I move up to Calgary, it won't be for another 8 months or so. So if I buy one now, it will be used in the US for quite a bit before it goes to Canada. Anyway, I called Acura Canada about this. They said that they would honor the warranty up there, as long as I have completed all of the required paperwork, and prove that I was a US resident when I purchased it. I think the story would be completely different if I were a Canadian resident purchasing an Acura from the US just to get the cheaper price - then they would not honor the warranty.

BTW, Audi, Infiniti and Lexus would all honor their US warranty in Canada. BMW will, but then they will not honor the free maintenance services that one would get in the States. MB will not honor it, period... and Subaru will make you pay for any warranty work up front in Canada, and then you have to submit your paperwork to the US Subaru people to get the money back!!! Yikes.....