import 2010 tl to canada from states

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 06:33 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
import 2010 tl to canada from states

Hi buys this is my first post. I am really interested in buying a new tl as my lease on the honda accord is coming to an end.
my question is that, riv states that i can import the car without duties but there is a problem with EIS. (inmobilizer system). Is that any easy fix or install to the car so that i wont have certification problems. I mean there is a mere 10000 difference between the fully loaded tl's from canada to us. If someone has done it recently can you please pm me or share you experiance kindly.

Thankyou,
Darshan
Old 10-01-2010, 07:09 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
there are a couple of people that have done this on the forum, you just have to get your warranty work done in the U.S.
Old 10-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darshanpatelh
Hi buys this is my first post. I am really interested in buying a new tl as my lease on the honda accord is coming to an end.
my question is that, riv states that i can import the car without duties but there is a problem with EIS. (inmobilizer system). Is that any easy fix or install to the car so that i wont have certification problems. I mean there is a mere 10000 difference between the fully loaded tl's from canada to us. If someone has done it recently can you please pm me or share you experiance kindly.

Thankyou,
Darshan
Shame on you for not supporting your local economy! (jk)You do realize that there is a $4500 cash rebate plus another $1000 "trading dollars" now on the TL's here in Canada? Plus, you'll have to spend another $500-$1000 to get it up to CDN spec...being that your warranty also becomes void, is it really worth it to save $2000 on the purchase and hastle?
Old 10-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Cruisin'

I am also in the same situation, I am looking to import a pre-owned 2010 TL 6mt.

Although there are current rebates in Canada there are also similar rebates in the USA. If you compare actual purchase prices then darshan's statement about the 10,000 difference is correct.

I was under the impression that warranty is void on a new vehicle but you still retained your USA warranty if you buy used. However when I called Acura they stated the warranty is void regardless.
Old 10-01-2010, 10:47 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
darshan, I did not think that the EIS is a problem for the 4G TL? There is an EIS already installed in the US model. Where did you get that information from?

CraigMacDTA, what other modifications are required to bring a US 4G TL into Canada?
Old 10-02-2010, 09:00 AM
2nd Gear

ostrich => I got the information for the registar of vehicles webiste for canada. you can follow the link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeV...DA___ACURA.htm

The explain more by what they mean by [EIS].. in this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...planations.htm

Thanks for all your opinions guys. If i had the extra money to spare for the obivous difference for the same model, I woundn't have asked for you help. But becuase I am trying to save my self money .. even $2000 then I guess I have to do it in this economy. What say?

Thanks again guys,
Darshan
Old 10-08-2010, 06:55 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by darshanpatelh
ostrich => I got the information for the registar of vehicles webiste for canada. you can follow the link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/SafeV...DA___ACURA.htm

The explain more by what they mean by [EIS].. in this link: http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/safev...planations.htm

Thanks for all your opinions guys. If i had the extra money to spare for the obivous difference for the same model, I woundn't have asked for you help. But becuase I am trying to save my self money .. even $2000 then I guess I have to do it in this economy. What say?

Thanks again guys,
Darshan
Darshan, I read the RIV paragraphs on EIS before too. The TL does have an EIS but it is not clear whether it is compliant with the Canadian regulations. That said, I would be very surprised if Acura would produce a car in North America with different EIS, one for USA and one for Canada.

The RIV site also states that if you get the car inspected on arrival, it may be OK. So I don't think that it's as big an issue as one might think.

You may also want to contact Acura to see if the EIS is compliant with the Canadian regulations. I have a special interest in this too, that's why I have been looking into these situations myself.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2010, 01:11 AM
Advanced

I imported an 09 TL Tech with no issues at all...Passed the inspections and was registered the next day.