iJDMTOY 1157 Switchbacks!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 06:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
The 5k LED's DRL I got blazalan, would be very close to the stock HID 4300k. I would recommend them.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
thanks pimpin, they actually look really nice. if you dont mind, can you post a shot of the drl with the switchbacks as well from the front & side again?
Old 09-28-2012, 12:14 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
do u lose the highbeam with the LED DRL?
Old 09-28-2012, 02:05 AM
moabizzi

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alienstudio
Yes you do, they arnt that bright.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...hlight=hid+drl

any DRL info go to that link.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by blazalan
thanks pimpin, they actually look really nice. if you dont mind, can you post a shot of the drl with the switchbacks as well from the front & side again?
I will this weekend.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by alienstudio
They still work for flashing, but they definitely don't have the throw of the halogen for high beams. But these do reach further than the Ijdms.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys,
Read the thread and have a few questions-

Are the 5K WHITE 28 LEDs (for DRL)from v-leds.com straight plug and play?

What bulbs do you recommend for fogs? I would like to change stock HIDs to 6000k (any suggestions?) and have them match
Old 10-03-2012, 06:12 PM
moabizzi

IDK, im having issues installing the switchbacks, i didnt use the t clips, i went to straight soldering them on. im currently doing the driver side, the black and blue wires on the 2009 Acura TL. i keep getting hyperblink issues.

i feel like my connections are solid but its still not working. i have no idea what to do. i just reinstalled everything with the stock bulbs.

http://www.acurapartsnow.com/parts-c...l-connector-fr

can someone tell me which one is the wiring harness for the turn signals? i believe its 13, im gonna call acura tomorrow to order it.

any suggestions?
Old 10-03-2012, 06:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ABPTSX
Hey guys,
Read the thread and have a few questions-

Are the 5K WHITE 28 LEDs (for DRL)from v-leds.com straight plug and play?

What bulbs do you recommend for fogs? I would like to change stock HIDs to 6000k (any suggestions?) and have them match
I used the 2nd level kit from iJDM with resistors that I received with my first bulbs with the 5k White 28LED 13w bulbs from V-Leds. After that it was plug and play.

My headlights and fogs are HID Extra bulbs and kits.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just a heads up, iJDMTOY has a deal of the day for the switchbacks today

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/BAY14d-2357...157_sku_3e.htm

I just ordered mine
Old 10-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Safety Car

I will ever do business with them again. Their customer support sucks and returns having to deal with them isn't good. I highly recommend everyone use v-LEDs.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
Instructor

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts
Wow... this thread had more information/misinformation and opinions than my brain can handle. I also have a '12 and was happy to find that somebody had success with a DRL install. Some of the topics need to have a seperate subcategory of 2012+ as we learned here that not all 4g applications are equivelant.

Hey Pimpin... any reason why you went 6k on your low beams and 5k on your DRLs? Just aesthetics? Also, did you go with vleds for your fogs? I looked on a ton of forums regarding the bulb sizes for a 2012 and now my eyes are crossed. I thought i had the right number (H11_28_w_5k) but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks...
Old 11-02-2012, 03:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by big10purdue
Wow... this thread had more information/misinformation and opinions than my brain can handle. I also have a '12 and was happy to find that somebody had success with a DRL install. Some of the topics need to have a seperate subcategory of 2012+ as we learned here that not all 4g applications are equivelant.

Hey Pimpin... any reason why you went 6k on your low beams and 5k on your DRLs? Just aesthetics? Also, did you go with vleds for your fogs? I looked on a ton of forums regarding the bulb sizes for a 2012 and now my eyes are crossed. I thought i had the right number (H11_28_w_5k) but now I'm not so sure...

Thanks...
Mainly for all the pictures I saw on the Lexus site with them 5k ones. I wanted them to not be blue or purple. So the 5k was a better choice vs the ones I got from ijdm that were not white or blue but dang purple. These are white I got. And work great. Wish cameras picked up the color better.

The fogs are Hidextra 6k hid kit. Slim model. I also got matching headlight 6k bulbs from them. I still kept the switcher LEDs in my blinkers from ijdm as they work good enough.

The fogs are the h11 if I recall correctly. I have to look to tonight to verify.

My DRL are from vled which is where all my LEDs will come from in the future now.
The following users liked this post:
big10purdue (11-02-2012)
Old 11-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
so going to LED for the DRLs... we lose the high beams... I'll have to play around with my high beams at nigth and see how badly I think the car needs them....

i do like the look of the LEDs in teh DRLs... looks so much better than the halogens...

so you guys who have essentially LOST your high beams..do you ever miss them? feel that you should ahve left them in?

i'm planning to do switchbacks in my turn signals.... what would be the best combo of LED DRL and switchbacks so they match... i wnat them to look super white... I want them to have the HID kind of look..not "blue/purple" that looks ricey...but the very white lights do somethimes have a hint of blue to them... like HIDs....

do iJDM and vLED sell the same brand bulbs or do they actually sell a totally different product line? I got some LEDs from iJDMtoy for myh RL...which I removed and swapped over the ones I could to my TL... the license plate bulbs and door blbs.. i always thoght they were cheapy looking LEDs....that didn't throw off that much light...
Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Safety Car

IMHO, VLED's seem to be better made. And more accurate on the color.

Sometimes I wish I had my high beams, but my HID's headlights and fogs both make up for it. I can still flash people and they notice with mine.
Old 12-13-2012, 10:09 AM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Which is my setup you see above.
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum with a 2012 TL. I've read this thread along with others about switchbacks several times to make sure I get things right before I order. I searched for the 3457 on iJDM's page, several items showed up. I think there is a newer version but could you let me know which led you went with?

I'm thinking of going with these for front turn signals - supposedly brighter than other LEDs. Anybody using these currently?

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/3157-High-P...157_sku315.htm
Old 12-13-2012, 06:34 PM
Safety Car

3157/3457 is what you need. And those you want are not correct. Correct for fitment, but you need the leds to reflect off the reflector or they won't work well.

So some side leds and rear facing leds like the ones we got.

Contact iJDM and get some, or V-leds. I personally won't buy from ijdm again.
CamPhil (12-15-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
3157/3457 is what you need. And those you want are not correct. Correct for fitment, but you need the leds to reflect off the reflector or they won't work well.

So some side leds and rear facing leds like the ones we got.

Contact iJDM and get some, or V-leds. I personally won't buy from ijdm again.
I forgot to take the reflectors into consideration so thanks for clearing that up and saving me the headache of having to return the item.

Also, I just received my HIDextra H11 kit to update my fogs. Decided to go with 5k to match the stock low beams. Hoping to get them installed this weekend so thanks again pimpin-tl for your step by step guide.
Old 12-18-2012, 09:02 PM
Advanced

Switchbacks and Fogs

Just wanted to share some pictures. Things are coming along smoothly except for some minor issues with the 5k HID fogs. Getting it resolved with HIDextra at the moment, and they've been quick with their responses. LED DRL should be going in tomorrow and 5k D2S bulbs for the low beams will hopefully arrive by Thursday.

Other minor upgrades - LED license plate lights; LED puddle lights.

Old 01-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just a question for all of you who have installed switchbacks. Do you feel that the combo of your HID lows, switchbacks and white fogs are overkill on the white output? Or is that the look you were hoping for?

Was wondering if anyone has gone with true yellow fogs after putting in switchbacks in order to actually use the fogs as real foglights?

Just curious on the opinions.
Old 01-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Advanced

To be honest, sometimes I think its a bit much to have them all on at the same time. IMHO, the brighter white HID's don't even help out that much so I'm going to be switching to 3k soon for the fogs. I used to have 3k fogs on my old Honda Accord and the yellow contrast helps more in nasty weather (rain, snow, etc.).

Another member has yellow fogs in so you can compare to my current setup and see which you prefer.

Old 01-07-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 1,021 Likes on 793 Posts
too much white attracts cops attention..

go with some orange blinkers or some yellow fogs.. one or the other.. i have switchbacks with yellow fogs.. no HID kit on the fogs..

If a cop pulls me over.. i am gauranteed a tint ticket along with exhaust and no front license plate.. not worth it imho..
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by CamPhil
To be honest, sometimes I think its a bit much to have them all on at the same time. IMHO, the brighter white HID's don't even help out that much so I'm going to be switching to 3k soon for the fogs. I used to have 3k fogs on my old Honda Accord and the yellow contrast helps more in nasty weather (rain, snow, etc.).

Another member has yellow fogs in so you can compare to my current setup and see which you prefer.

CamPhil - do you know the difference between the various "series" offered by HIDExtra for the H11 HID 3k.? They offer a "signature", "power", "stealth", and "volt canbus" options but not much description of what they are. What did you go with?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Advanced

Kudos goes to pimpin-tl for his writeup which is what I used to guide me through my install. Based on his description, I went with the "stealth" since it was a smaller ballast. To my knowledge the "signature" is just the standard size ballast and not many people recommended the "power" series due to heat and longevity concerns.

I did want to mention one more thing. I DID NOT have to reverse my connection as he did to get the fogs to work (step 8). This might have been a simple mistake on HIDextra's part when they put the connectors on. Either way, you can try for yourself and see which works for you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you if you decide to go with it. See below for the how to by pimpin-tl.

https://acurazine.com/forums/4g-tl-2009-2014-123/g-005-how-install-hid-fog-light-kit-4th-gen-tl-863117/
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CamPhil
Kudos goes to pimpin-tl for his writeup which is what I used to guide me through my install. Based on his description, I went with the "stealth" since it was a smaller ballast. To my knowledge the "signature" is just the standard size ballast and not many people recommended the "power" series due to heat and longevity concerns.

I did want to mention one more thing. I DID NOT have to reverse my connection as he did to get the fogs to work (step 8). This might have been a simple mistake on HIDextra's part when they put the connectors on. Either way, you can try for yourself and see which works for you. Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you if you decide to go with it. See below for the how to by pimpin-tl.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=863117
That's great to hear man. I am always willing to help.
Old 01-20-2013, 03:03 PM
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAbbas
IDK, im having issues installing the switchbacks, i didnt use the t clips, i went to straight soldering them on. im currently doing the driver side, the black and blue wires on the 2009 Acura TL. i keep getting hyperblink issues.

i feel like my connections are solid but its still not working. i have no idea what to do. i just reinstalled everything with the stock bulbs.

http://www.acurapartsnow.com/parts-c...l-connector-fr

can someone tell me which one is the wiring harness for the turn signals? i believe its 13, im gonna call acura tomorrow to order it.

any suggestions?
I installed the switchbacks several months ago, but about a month ago one of them started to hyperblink. When I installed them originally, I had a lot of trouble with the wire splicing clips. I was going to fix it today, and went to an auto parts store to see if they had anything else that would work better.

The guy at the store told me about another method with no clips or soldering. You basically remove a section of the insulation, then use something to create a hole between the wire strands. Be careful as the strands are very thin and can break. Once you have a space between the strands, slide the end of the resistor wire through the hole and wrap it around the original wire harness wire. Tape it up with electrical tape and you're all set.

He said someone had told him that this method was military apprpoved. Good enough for me and seems very solid.

The link below details the method on another site.

http://www.rx8club.com/interior-audi...utting-228546/
MoAbbas (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 11:25 PM
moabizzi

Originally Posted by Hogan9166
I installed the switchbacks several months ago, but about a month ago one of them started to hyperblink. When I installed them originally, I had a lot of trouble with the wire splicing clips. I was going to fix it today, and went to an auto parts store to see if they had anything else that would work better.

The guy at the store told me about another method with no clips or soldering. You basically remove a section of the insulation, then use something to create a hole between the wire strands. Be careful as the strands are very thin and can break. Once you have a space between the strands, slide the end of the resistor wire through the hole and wrap it around the original wire harness wire. Tape it up with electrical tape and you're all set.

He said someone had told him that this method was military apprpoved. Good enough for me and seems very solid.

appreciate it brotha man, im gonna try it out soon, once the weather gets better. favorited it
Old 01-21-2013, 08:13 AM
Safety Car

Not a bad idea. But imho, go to Radio Shack and get some wire taps.

Originally Posted by Hogan9166

Old 04-15-2013, 03:35 PM
10th Gear

AHH! i wish i read this thread earlier. I tried putting in the 3157/3457 leds i purchased from ebay and they keep blowing out my fuses. Im guessing they are not CK compatable. Do the switchbacks from Vleds work or only the iJdm ones?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:15 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 23 Posts
http://www.vleds.com/5k-type-2-dual-...se-1-pair.html

is this fine on my 2012+ TL ?
do I also need load register on this?
Old 12-19-2013, 06:42 PM
Racer

I also found this.

http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-.../v3-wa-5k.html
it says
Smaller Control Module with built in Resistor. No Hyperflash! The load can easily be activated or removed if desired via fuse on the control box harness.

does it mean i dont need load resistor? and i wonder if this fits my car, the description doesnt say it is ck socket but universal design for easy installation.

any inputs would be appreciated
Old 12-19-2013, 07:05 PM
Racer

So I contacted v-led customer service about this v3 triton switchbacks.

http://www.vleds.com/v3-triton/bulb-.../v3-wa-5k.html

I can select ck socket type in drop down menu. ( lol i missed it)
and I dont need an external load resistor. V3 control box has one built in.

seems like everything is fine then?
Old 09-05-2014, 08:38 PM
Intermediate

hey guys .... sorry to resurrect this one from the dead, but i've been searching for awhile.

I ordered VLEDs V3 Triton switchbacks, but with the 3157 base (I have a 2012). I've been racking my head why things weren't working and why i've blown a few fuses.

Now i've just stumbled onto this talk of requiring a 3157CK base, and when looking online, I see the terminals inside a 3157CK differ from a 3157. Click here

Could this be what my problem is? I think i've almost answered my question, but wondering if someone has experienced this and can chime in. Thing that sucks, is I accidentally also ordered the wrong base for my rears as well, and earlier had VLED ship me a new set. All this shipping cost is hurting lol.