I need a Utility vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 119 Posts
I need a Utility vehicle

How many of you have found yourself in the same boat?

Too many projects and the TL isn't going to get it done. My lady has a Camry, and its not getting traded anytime soon. I'm leaning heavily toward trading in the TL for a Tacoma. As fun as the TL is, a truck would be more conducive to current lifestyle needs. Sorry, no 3rd vehicle, I'm not going to pay for something to sit most of the time.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The TL is great for what it is. Not to good for carrying cargo through. I'm fortunate to have a Pilot to use. You've to do what you have to do for your lifestyle and the Tacoma would be more ideal.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 03-03-2013 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by 012TL-GLM
Sorry, no 3rd vehicle, I'm not going to pay for something to sit most of the time.
I agree with you....having a vehicle to sit in the garage and not get driven is absurd

Purchasing a truck to carry the day to day duties makes a lot of sense. I don't have a lot of purpose for them but I can see how for some, they are indispensable. Depending on what you haul, have you ever considered a vehicle like the RDX and use a trailer to tow/haul what you need? That way, at least you still get the capability of doing some chores but still have an Acura
Old 03-02-2013, 08:26 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
^I agree, utility IMHO is the TL's biggest downside. What type of stuff are you doing now that the TL is limiting? I've always like the 1G RDX (discovered it after buying my TL): quick, nimble, decent cargo space, though a little light on towing and heavy on gas w/a stiff ride.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
You really have to evaluate how much you need a utility vehicle for. If it's an occasional trip to Home Depot, you could probably get buy renting the Home Depot or U-haul trucks instead. Our second vehicle is a Honda Pilot and that is when it comes in handy- Home Depot, camping, or hauling 6+ people.

If you're just doing only the 'Home Depot' thing, I suggest renting or borrowing instead. You can only buy so much from the depot anyway and a lot of it fits out the sunroof of the TL for the Pipes and other stuff. I have carried 45 inch flat screen TVs, Little Giant ladders, and amazing amounts of wood or pipe in the TL too.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:38 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ As long as people don't fill the trunk of their TL with Manure for gardening purposes *lol*
Old 03-02-2013, 08:46 PM
6G TLX-S

Received 1,154 Likes on 825 Posts
How about the Honda Ridgeline ?
Old 03-02-2013, 10:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what size truck you need but I noticed that you put up there a tacoma. I just sold mine last year first little truck I owned and the first gas truck since 2000. I would test drive the tundra before setling on the tacoma.

Robert
Old 03-02-2013, 10:58 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm a competitive shooter on the weekend, and the trunk of the TL is driving me nuts, most rifles and shotguns are longer than the trunk is wide and creatively angling them to fit is less than satisfying.

Also with Spring around the corner we do a lot of landscaping/gardening, and I'm tired of paying to have things delivered.

Our daughter is 1 year away from college so soon it will just be the 2 of us and I'm leaning heavily toward a 2 door cab since we have the Camry for trips.

I've looked at SUV's but honestly they all look hideous to me, with the exception of the Grand Cherokee, but I could never in good conscious purchase a Chrysler product

I've taken a few test drives in the Tacoma, and haven't found much to complain about. Plus if I miss the extra power, I can fork over $4K and get the TRD blower. I think the only feature it doesn't have is dual climate control, although that may be available on the Limited trim. My TL is always set to sync anyway, so I won't miss that feature.

Do I sound like I'm talking myself into it?

I'm not interested in the full size Tundra. Way too much truck for my needs. I'm not towing, just hauling
Old 03-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Drifting

Received 221 Likes on 181 Posts
^So the access port out of the trunk won't allow a couple of rifles through it? You'll need a shell to hold the rifles and that won't be alarmed like the TL if you go the Tacoma route.

A truck is certainly a nice thing to have though. The Ridgeline could also be a nice truck to check out, since it has lockable storage under the bed and can carry a few extra people when you need to. If the guns don't fit under the trunk bed, they certainly could in the back seat area.
Old 03-02-2013, 11:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2,599 Likes on 1,581 Posts
Get the truck. I run mine a few times a week even if its just down to the supermarket, I just enjoy driving it. Thing is when you need a truck its there plus they are timeless, mine is 14 years old now & shows no sign of wear & tear. The picture is current.

Great in the winter with lugged tires & 4WD. As for guns we lock ours in the cross box bolted into the bed.
Attached Thumbnails I need a Utility vehicle-ranger.jpg  
Old 03-02-2013, 11:55 PM
Burning Brakes

timeless is right Bear, not to mention hardly any loss of resale - have you guys looked at tacoma's? 10 years old and 100K plus miles they still go for darn near 20K. I need to take a few more test drives, my '12 TL is almost paid off so it would just about be an even trade for a new taco. Also most of my driving is in town, so mpg would be about the same. JBL stereo isn't as stong as the ELS, but its not bad, had the same in my old Avalon and it was more than tolerable. My better half would like it, she'd always get the garage
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 AM
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts
just my 2 cents here... Depending on what you will be doing, go with a bigger truck. I have a Nissan Titan, crew cab, long bed. It's big, but I can stack 4x8 plywood or sheet-rock in the bed. I actually prefer it to my TL for the long family trips, as it has a nice smooth ride. I am lucky enough to have room for the truck and my car, and because of the crappy gas mileage I only drive the truck when I need to.
The Tacoma is a good little truck, and I like them a lot. If you do not need the extra space of a 1/2 ton, it is a good option. The only thing I would recommend, is a back seat. It can be a great option, for little extra.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:40 AM
Walk the walk

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
Tacoma always comes out on top, good luck again shows you know great vehicles.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:08 AM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^^ As long as people don't fill the trunk of their TL with Manure for gardening purposes *lol*
OMG, Weather, how did you know that I was one of those people!? LOL!

Seriously, I am an avid gardener and with my TL, I HAD to fill up my trunk, my backseat and even front seat with bags of compost, topsoil etc.!!!

So for my next vehicle (my lease is up next year) I am seriously considering an SUV. I know, I know! On the other hand, I love my TL so much that I might just keep it.... and then kick myself in the back every time I go to the garden centre! LOL!!!

So I am wondering what the next MDX will really be like.... I would like something a bit more lux than the RDX though it's absolutely the right size. The current MDX is too thirsty for gas, but hopefully the next one will not be.TLX, where are you? Hmm..... if it's as bland-looking as the RLX and if the rear seat won't fold down, then no sorry, it won't be for me! ;-)
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Suzuka Master

^^^ I could never put any bag of soil/compost in my TL..I would have a heart attack *lol*

I agree that the RDX is not the most exciting looking vehicle but it does offer many advantages and with having more cargo capacity than the TL, it is a great vehicle to have. The MDX is amazing looking but as you said, will be more thirsty and more vehicle than I need. I would be amazed if the TLX have the split folding seat....shocked would be a better word
Old 03-03-2013, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Received 364 Likes on 190 Posts
Originally Posted by weather
^^^ I could never put any bag of soil/compost in my TL..I would have a heart attack *lol*

I agree that the RDX is not the most exciting looking vehicle but it does offer many advantages and with having more cargo capacity than the TL, it is a great vehicle to have. The MDX is amazing looking but as you said, will be more thirsty and more vehicle than I need. I would be amazed if the TLX have the split folding seat....shocked would be a better word
LOL Weather - sometimes you just have to make do with whatever you have! So I have to put compost in my poor TL's passenger area and trunk! LOL!

I actually really like the RDX - the size is perfect, the styling is nice (Yes, I like it!) and the gas mileage is pretty good. I just wished that the interior were more lux. That's all.... sigh! I'd gladly pay more for the RDX if they would offer a more upgraded interior and sound system.

You know, the new Lexus IS actually offers split rear seats!!! YES! That must be the first Japanese luxury sedan that offers it (unless you count the TSX) - don't know why the Japanese won't offer that routinely when BMW, Audi, MB all do it. However, one has to get over that ugly exterior... what is wrong with that front end? Esp. with that overdone and crazy F sport front end styling? LOL!

Hmm.... no, I would probably never be found driving a truck... ROTFLOL!

Form over function? Function over form? I want both......:-)
Old 03-05-2013, 09:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Got to take a test drive in a Sport model Taco. Not a bad ride, seats were actually quite comfortable for cloth. I'm going to try and find an off road model to compare. I think I'd like the extra features like the locking differential, and can live without the non-functional hood scoop
Old 03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Since you didn't mention what type of projects you have and what you wanted to haul, why not get a TSX Sportwagon. With the seats down it can haul quite a bit and they are even quite fun to drive.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 75 Posts
I happen to have 3 vehicles and they all sit. I have my Miata for fun, my TL for the travel and my nissan frontier for bad weather, salty roads and hauling. Bicycle for work. However if only doing two cars, I would do a truck and AWD Tl. If you have a home, a utility vehicle a must IMO
Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by cagilber
Since you didn't mention what type of projects you have and what you wanted to haul, why not get a TSX Sportwagon. With the seats down it can haul quite a bit and they are even quite fun to drive.
If the TSX Wagon had SH-AWD, I would jump all over that. If it had SH-AWD w/a 6MT, I would trade in my TL in a heartbeat. If it had turbo 4 with SH-AWD and 6MT, I would take 2!
Old 03-05-2013, 01:21 PM
Suzuka Master

I would pass on the Ridgeline since its a unit body & not a body on frame construction like a regular truck. It will be more car like in ride but is not a strong as a traditional truck build. You would probably get more value with an SUV & some weather tech liners.

Once you have a truck you will discover all kinds of stuff to do with it like buying top soil, gravel & sand in bulk instead of bags at Home Depot. Going off road for shooting etc. One thing to keep the bed in good shape is to have a Rhino liner sprayed in as soon as you get it. I treat mine once a year & the bed is still like new despite a lot of messy loads including engines, trans, suspensions, motorcycles & so forth.

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 03-05-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 06:04 PM
Burning Brakes

F***

We're in the middle of a blizzard, bad day at work, get home, 4ft of snow at the end of the driveway from the plows, get thru most of the snow with the blower, then when I pull the car up the snowblower rolls right in the front quarter leaving an 8 inch scratch. My fault, should have moved the blower more than 5 feet away I guess. Can't win today, and now more than ever I wish I had that tacoma
Old 03-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Suzuka Master

Was thinking about this thread. Bunch of my grandsons team mates came over after practice to hit the hot tub & one of them had a real nice silver 4 door 4X4 Tacoma. Way more fancy then my Ranger

Should have taken a picture DUH
Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Burning Brakes

They're sweet trucks - I think they sit mean, just a great looking stance. Add a 3 inch lift and they become a beast. I passed a green crew cab this morning, looked amazing with a lift and black wheels.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Wow, what a let-down. I read the title of this thread wrong/as:

I used a utility knife.

Really hoping for some fix-it-quick story about how to get blood and hair out from between the diamond louvers on the beak/grille.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Drifting

Received 554 Likes on 387 Posts
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
Was thinking about this thread. Bunch of my grandsons team mates came over after practice to hit the hot tub & one of them had a real nice silver 4 door 4X4 Tacoma. Way more fancy then my Ranger

Should have taken a picture DUH
Hopefully you mean a picture of the truck and not the boys in the hot tub
Old 03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ucf_bronco
Hopefully you mean a picture of the truck and not the boys in the hot tub
Interesting, never would have read it that way, but for clarity the truck
Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Toyota's are great autos. And I know what you mean about utility. That's why the wife drives the Maxima and I gave my daughter my 97 4Runner (170,000 miles) and bought a 11 4Runner for myself.