I miss my 4G TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:47 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I miss my 4G TL

After years of complaining about my 4G TL, I finally got a G37.
I test drove an Optima and it was... eh.. whatever.. It felt like
a cheap car. I also test drove an Audi A4, and it felt like a cheaper
and crappier car than the Kia. I finally got a G37, now I miss my
TL. It was much larger and there were so many more gadgets. Believe
it or not the 5speeds of the TL felt much faster than the 7speeds of the G37.
Although the TL was built out of cheap parts, it seemed more like full
luxury. I miss my TL
Old 12-21-2011, 07:59 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
My sister owned/owns G35X's and I drove them and never felt comfortable in them. That's why I didn't buy my wife one and went with the TL.
I would by a new Maxima over a G37 to be honest with you. Now you know what to by next!!
Old 12-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,985 Likes on 14,495 Posts
Wow...and everyone claims to have to have RWD etc...the Acura TL is still the best bang for your buck...hands down. And you have just proven that...

I drove my buddy's wifes car and it was harsh...and now he has a G37S and his is harsh too. My TL is harsh a bit but that's because it's pretty slammed.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Wow...and everyone claims to have to have RWD etc...the Acura TL is still the best bang for your buck...hands down. And you have just proven that...

I drove my buddy's wifes car and it was harsh...and now he has a G37S and his is harsh too. My TL is harsh a bit but that's because it's pretty slammed.
G37 harsh? Maybe a G37S not a G37. But if you were expecting vault like Lexus, a G37 is not it. However, imo, it has better road feel than TL.

Bang for the buck, we'll it depends on your definition of bang. Doesn't it?
Old 12-21-2011, 09:45 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
G37 harsh? Maybe a G37S not a G37. But if you were expecting vault like Lexus, a G37 is not it. However, imo, it has better road feel than TL.

I agree , my g37X is more fun to drive than a TL. But they are so different.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:10 AM

hey, you're right...but at least we have a forum a "g" guy would want to frequent

I said G37S...not a base. It felt harsh, to me...I've never driven a Lexus in my adult life that I can recall. I'm not knockin it...cause for a good while I wanted one...but I'm very happy with my Acura.
Old 12-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rockstar143
hey, you're right...but at least we have a forum a "g" guy would want to frequent

I said G37S...not a base. It felt harsh, to me...I've never driven a Lexus in my adult life that I can recall. I'm not knockin it...cause for a good while I wanted one...but I'm very happy with my Acura.
When you say "harsh", did you mean road feedback?
Old 12-22-2011, 08:01 AM

Yes...maybe my lower back is getting more sensitive in my old age.
I guess since I'm accustomed to a lowered car I always expect every other car that is stock height with a 50+ sidewall to ride like a 1980's Cadillac!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:19 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
When considering a 370Z Nismo it was suggested to me to test the Infiniti G series...test drove the lineup...was back at the Nissan dealership considering a red Nismo, but a few things lead me away from the deal.

IMO the G's AWD system doesn't come close to the SH-AWD system. I push a car hard and the Acura kept it's composure better than the Infiniti. More doesn't always equal better especially when it's not managed properly. It's like raw untamed talent vs skilled and brainy...95% of the game is mental, gimme the latter.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM
Pro

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
WOW you are the second person to purchase a infiniti coming from a TL and give this comparison feedback. I also test drove the G37 both sedan and coupe & M sedan after owning my current TL and also a maxima while searching for my wife a new car. The maxima ,M & G sedan all felt tight inside yet bulky outside to me. The G coupe felt perfect just stiff which is fine. The maxima's interior even fully loaded looked cheap and honestly the infiniti's dash isn't a major step away from the maxima's. Now as far as feeling cheap i can say i didn't think the cars felt cheap just felt they didn't have a good balance as far as feel goes.

Even my wife didn't like the feel of the G and she test drove a couple of different ones but to me that was to be expected since she has mainly owned camry's & thats why i pushed her to go for the ES350.

IMO as big as the TL is it does not feel or drive like a big heavy car.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:16 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by TRIUMPHT
WOW you are the second person to purchase a infiniti coming from a TL and give this comparison feedback. I also test drove the G37 both sedan and coupe & M sedan after owning my current TL and also a maxima while searching for my wife a new car. The maxima ,M & G sedan all felt tight inside yet bulky outside to me. The G coupe felt perfect just stiff which is fine. The maxima's interior even fully loaded looked cheap and honestly the infiniti's dash isn't a major step away from the maxima's. Now as far as feeling cheap i can say i didn't think the cars felt cheap just felt they didn't have a good balance as far as feel goes.

Even my wife didn't like the feel of the G and she test drove a couple of different ones but to me that was to be expected since she has mainly owned camry's & thats why i pushed her to go for the ES350.

IMO as big as the TL is it does not feel or drive like a big heavy car.

I concur, it doesn't drive lie it's size. That's why IMO the thing is like a freak of engineering(they probably did it on purpose though) as I've been in some situations with it and it was like a football player in ballet shoes.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
I concur, it doesn't drive lie it's size. That's why IMO the thing is like a freak of engineering(they probably did it on purpose though) as I've been in some situations with it and it was like a football player in ballet shoes.
agreed and ditto on the MDX, wow can that thing handle for a CUV.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Racer

The fun of driving the G37 only lasted about 2 days or so. The seats are much more
comfortable in the G, but I feel cramped up in the car. I cant even put my cell phone down because theres really nowhere to put it. The TL is much more comfortable over the long run.
Oddly, my TL felt lighter and faster.
You really dont feel any power in the G because it just keeps changing gears. RWD and 7speed IMO is useless.
My next car will probably be a 5G TL or a Mercedes E series.
Ive always thought an Infiniti or even Audi would be an upgrade, but actually
they are both downgrades.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts

Does this mean you actually drove a TL or are you assuming this? The last I saw, you had not driven one yet were making comparisons.. just asking....
Old 12-22-2011, 07:41 PM

^^^interesting...I assumed that he was making an educated decision. Would love to hear it, although the "bang for the buck" comment was poignant.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:44 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Interesting to hear Cornelius, I guess the grass isn't always greener....
Old 12-22-2011, 08:52 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by cornelius
The fun of driving the G37 only lasted about 2 days or so. The seats are much more
comfortable in the G, but I feel cramped up in the car. I cant even put my cell phone down because theres really nowhere to put it. The TL is much more comfortable over the long run.
Oddly, my TL felt lighter and faster.
You really dont feel any power in the G because it just keeps changing gears. RWD and 7speed IMO is useless.
My next car will probably be a 5G TL or a Mercedes E series.
Ive always thought an Infiniti or even Audi would be an upgrade, but actually
they are both downgrades.
I loved the A4 but do to the horrible treatment I got from multiple dealers I passed on it. As for the Infiniti I did not like how it fell in love with 7th gear and was quite hesitant to down shift when I wanted to get on it. Value wise the Infiniti and Acura were quite close for me. I just liked the Acura better and got a dirt low 0.9% finance rate.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Does this mean you actually drove a TL or are you assuming this? The last I saw, you had not driven one yet were making comparisons.. just asking....
Just sayin', I never commented on the drive of the TL. I do have an opinion on the exterior, since I've seen them, interior, since I've sat in them and what the rags thing of 'em, since I read.

These enthusiast forums tend to be slightly biased. Of course, you guys think the TL is better. Ask the same question on myg37.com and see what answers you get.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:00 AM
Racer

Ill be on mg37.com soon.. Im trying to figure out why the launch of the G37 is so
slow. It does take off when it reaches 40mph, but at a complete stop, it seems extremely slow.
Here's whats better about the G37. The parts are well constructed and there is
absolutely no rattle. The leather in my TL wore out after a couple of times of sitting
in it, but the G37 leather is still in excellent condition. The paint in the interior of my
TL started to come off, but the G37 really doesnt have any paint to come off.
So basically the G37 is a cheap car made of luxury parts and the TL is a luxury car
made of cheap parts.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Just sayin', I never commented on the drive of the TL. I do have an opinion on the exterior, since I've seen them, interior, since I've sat in them and what the rags thing of 'em, since I read.

These enthusiast forums tend to be slightly biased. Of course, you guys think the TL is better. Ask the same question on myg37.com and see what answers you get.
You just said that the G37 has a better road feel but how can you say that without driving the TL?? I am going to call you out every time on that. I have no beef if you like the G37 better or not...but.. to re-hash this tired old fight, it's wrong to make a statement about something you haven't tested... Oh well, some things never change..
Old 12-23-2011, 04:12 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by cornelius
Ill be on mg37.com soon.. Im trying to figure out why the launch of the G37 is so
slow. It does take off when it reaches 40mph, but at a complete stop, it seems extremely slow.
Here's whats better about the G37. The parts are well constructed and there is
absolutely no rattle. The leather in my TL wore out after a couple of times of sitting
in it, but the G37 leather is still in excellent condition. The paint in the interior of my
TL started to come off, but the G37 really doesnt have any paint to come off.
So basically the G37 is a cheap car made of luxury parts and the TL is a luxury car
made of cheap parts.
I don't understand how you can find that the G is slow at take off. I have one, and if you want to take off fast you don't need to disarm the stability control (although it could help), but you need to press the accelerator at 75% about and after full throttle. It's strange may be related to electronic settings i think. When i tried a 2012 TL SH AWD, i have a feelling of slow take off, but i know you need to know your car, and the car need to adapt to your driving style ( i mean the transmission). But for sure the TL will never kick you in your butt like the G. But finally i bought a TL, just for changing
Old 12-23-2011, 05:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
I don't understand how you can find that the G is slow at take off. I have one, and if you want to take off fast you don't need to disarm the stability control (although it could help), but you need to press the accelerator at 75% about and after full throttle. It's strange may be related to electronic settings i think. When i tried a 2012 TL SH AWD, i have a feelling of slow take off, but i know you need to know your car, and the car need to adapt to your driving style ( i mean the transmission). But for sure the TL will never kick you in your butt like the G. But finally i bought a TL, just for changing
I wouldn't call the TL's take off but the G37 is definitely very quick off the line and quicker than the TL.