How often do you use S mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 10:17 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How often do you use S mode?

Besides the AWD I love the S mode in this car and is one of my favourite features about this TL. I find it's very aggressive unlike in many other cars out there.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
I use it all the time. Also the M sport mode. If you are going slower it is very fun to downshift to 2nd and take off. or shift into 2nd before you take a corner. Rock that corner.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:20 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 112 Posts
It haven't had time to go through the owners manual. Can you help me to understand the M and S modes with a quick tutorial? I thought you had to S mode to use the M mode. Am I wrong?
Old 03-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love S mode, very aggressive.
Old 03-11-2011, 08:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Can you drive in S mode without using the shifters? Or is it meant only for using the shifters?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:46 AM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Glashub
Can you drive in S mode without using the shifters? Or is it meant only for using the shifters?

You can, but once you use the paddle shifters to shift up or down you have to start using them as auto- S-mode if you can call it that is disengaged.
Old 03-11-2011, 09:38 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks way of the peacful warrior but carry a heavy stick named Grace. I'll read the owners manual some day when I get back into town. Guess I slacked because I came from an 05 and thought I'd instantly apprehend any changes. lol
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 AM
Advanced

Yes, and I much prefer it this way without the paddle shifting because as I say it's very aggressively set up anyways.

Manuals? Who reads those things anymore?
Old 03-11-2011, 11:19 AM
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. I'll try it for a while when I get home.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
S mode revs higher, shifts later and locks out 5th gear. It sucks up gas like you can't believe but it's fun for brief stints.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:33 AM
Racer

S mode is still automatic but it is more aggressive.
While in S mode, if you use the paddle shifters, then you are stuck in full manual mode until you put it back in D.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Litt,

Is your your tinted? Are you happy with it, where did you go, and how much? Thanks.

BTW, looks good. White was my second choice after black.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Racer

I didn't shop around. I went to Shadow Tint on Macleod Trail because that is the place that Lexus and Acura send their cars to be tinted.

It was about $350 Canadian, for what they call 7 windows. That is their price for "premium" film. I think in Canada all things cost more. And I didnt want budget tint that might turn purple.

They had Limo, dark, medium, and light tint. I chose dark on the back 3, and medium on the front.

I will try to post some better pictures soon. The roads are making my car so dirty.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM
WDP 4G

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts
VERY IMPORTANT that when you're in S and not using the paddles, S maxes out at 3rd gear. You MUST use paddle shifters to shift to 4th and 5th. Don't want to see any blown trannys
Old 03-11-2011, 02:34 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^dont think you can blow your tranny.
even in the 3rd gen TL, the computer made sure that you could not hurt anything....

that would be some fucked up shit for a 40 thousand dollar car to not limit over rev.
Now a six speed manual transmission can easily over rev by down shifting into the wrong gear, causing a floated valve.

Last edited by justnspace; 03-11-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Litt
I didn't shop around. I went to Shadow Tint on Macleod Trail because that is the place that Lexus and Acura send their cars to be tinted.

It was about $350 Canadian, for what they call 7 windows. That is their price for "premium" film. I think in Canada all things cost more. And I didnt want budget tint that might turn purple.

They had Limo, dark, medium, and light tint. I chose dark on the back 3, and medium on the front.

I will try to post some better pictures soon. The roads are making my car so dirty.
Shadow Tint does good work. I'm friends with the owner, Nuno.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:19 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by eazy
VERY IMPORTANT that when you're in S and not using the paddles, S maxes out at 3rd gear. You MUST use paddle shifters to shift to 4th and 5th. Don't want to see any blown trannys
Hell No! I love taking it up to 4-5K RPMs and punching it there from time to time for that instant response and sound. No problems at all so far....
Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 PM
WDP 4G

Originally Posted by justnspace
^dont think you can blow your tranny.
even in the 3rd gen TL, the computer made sure that you could not hurt anything....

that would be some fucked up shit for a 40 thousand dollar car to not limit over rev.
Now a six speed manual transmission can easily over rev by down shifting into the wrong gear, causing a floated valve.
Yea, the computers may limit it but it doesn't mean that he should be pedal to the metal in S at 7k+ RPM in 3rd gear thinking it will keep shifting on its own(pretty sure it ain't good for the car either way)

No one else mentioned it. Just tryna help a fellow Azine member out
Old 03-11-2011, 03:33 PM
Advanced

Yea, the computers may limit it but it doesn't mean that he should be pedal to the metal in S at 7k+ RPM in 3rd gear thinking it will keep shifting on its own(pretty sure it ain't good for the car either way)

Good point. Definitely watch your tach when you do this kind of spirited driving in S mode, much like driving a manual...
Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 PM
Instructor

Unfortunately I gave up on using S mode as it hangs on 3rd gear way too long. Wish it would go to 4th. The 6AT ZDX I tried goes to 4th and is much more useful if you like frequent spirited driving without having to punch it. i just stay on D and punch it when needed. The 6AT 2012 TL should solve this issue.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:32 PM
Racer

It will shift to fourth in S mode, just gotta go fast enough. (+100mph). There is still a rev limiter in S, you will not damage your tranny. Even, in M mode, the computer will take over if you over rev.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Not very often as others have mentioned RPM's climb to high for comfort.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:42 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by neilman
Unfortunately I gave up on using S mode as it hangs on 3rd gear way too long. Wish it would go to 4th....
It does go to 4th. I like that it hangs onto 3rd or 4th gear longer as it keeps the revs above 4K and this engine loves revving high. I guess I`m just use to and comfortable with this kind of spirited gearing with my past high revving cars, and I really like the fact that this TL reminds me a bit of that and is also capable.

Watch Tommy Kendall test drive the 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD with guest IndyCar driver Dario Franchitti on SPEED

http://nascar.speedtv.com/article/vi...2011-acura-tl/

Last edited by CalgaryAWDTL; 03-11-2011 at 04:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Mademoiselle Chanel!!

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by CalgaryAWDTL
It does go to 4th. I like that it hangs onto 3rd or 4th gear longer as it keeps the revs above 4K and this engine loves revving high. I guess I`m just use to and comfortable with this kind of spirited gearing with my past high revving cars, and I really like the fact that this TL reminds me a bit of that and is also capable.

Watch Tommy Kendall test drive the 2011 Acura TL SH-AWD with guest IndyCar driver Dario Franchitti on SPEED

I like to call it "Shark" mode, that's when Grace's teeth come out to dine on highways and twist and curves of roads, yeaaaaaah.
My bro use to say the Bat-mobile had just kicked in it's jet, LOL.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:39 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
Originally Posted by SSGHutch
It will shift to fourth in S mode, just gotta go fast enough. (+100mph). There is still a rev limiter in S, you will not damage your tranny. Even, in M mode, the computer will take over if you over rev.
the 3rd Gen does this as well. on up shifting the computer will kill the gas at the rev limiter.

The only way to hurt the engine is to mis-shift from 5th to 2nd, which only applies to 6M/T.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 AM
WDP 4G

hmm really? I thought it didn't and I didn't want to find out that hard way. I usually go to 4th by the time i hit 100+ i'll try it out next time.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:58 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
I like to call it "Shark" mode, that's when Grace's teeth come out to dine on highways and twist and curves of roads, yeaaaaaah.
My bro use to say the Bat-mobile had just kicked in it's jet, LOL.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:59 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
blockahoahahahoa
Old 03-12-2011, 10:27 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by compewterbleu
You can, but once you use the paddle shifters to shift up or down you have to start using them as auto- S-mode if you can call it that is disengaged.
This has caused me some embarrasment when I forgot it was in paddle shift only and reached the rev limiter.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:20 PM
Racer

On my way back from El Paso today (600 miles), I tested the S mode shifting into 4th and rev limiter theories on the back roads. In S mode, my TL-AWD shifted into 4th at 98mph-ish. It never revved over 6k in S even with hard (fun) driving. So therefore, driving in S will not damage your car, it's definitely fun and may scare your passengers, but no tranny/engine damage due to overrevs. Enjoy your S mode, it's fun!
Old 03-12-2011, 04:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 88 Posts
Hardly use it and I prefer the paddles anyways.
Old 03-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Advanced

On my way back from El Paso today (600 miles), I tested the S mode shifting into 4th and rev limiter theories on the back roads. In S mode, my TL-AWD shifted into 4th at 98mph-ish. It never revved over 6k in S even with hard (fun) driving. So therefore, driving in S will not damage your car, it's definitely fun and may scare your passengers, but no tranny/engine damage due to overrevs. Enjoy your S mode, it's fun!
Now that's what I'm talking about! It's there for a reason.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:56 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I have found no reason to use the S mode. I find it much easier on the spur of a moment approaching a turn to use the paddles and say downshift 2 gears - power thru the turn and then paddle shift back to high gear once back on the straight
Old 03-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by crxb
I have found no reason to use the S mode. I find it much easier on the spur of a moment approaching a turn to use the paddles and say downshift 2 gears - power thru the turn and then paddle shift back to high gear once back on the straight
I'm just not a fan of paddle shifting for spirited driving-always had manuals in my past perfromance cars. It has to be either fully automatic gear shifting for me (especially in a large, luxury sport sedan) or 6spd manual in a true performance car. I find this paddle stuff very "toy"-ish. The only thing I do like about it is when you can blip the throttle on cars like the M3 with the DCT but otherwise give me a manual anyday on those cars, please.

edit-I do use the paddle occasionally on very slippery roads going downhill when I need to slow down instead of breaking. I like that even in normal auto mode this car allows you to gear down by using the paddle.

Last edited by CalgaryAWDTL; 03-13-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I'm just not a fan of paddle shifting for spirited driving-always had manuals in my past perfromance cars. It has to be either fully automatic gear shifting for me (especially in a large, luxury sport sedan) or 6spd manual in a true performance car. I find this paddle stuff very "toy"-ish. The only thing I do like about it is when you can blip the throttle on cars like the M3 with the DCT but otherwise give me a manual anyday on those cars, please.

edit-I do use the paddle occasionally on very slippery roads going downhill when I need to slow down instead of breaking. I like that even in normal auto mode this car allows you to gear down by using the paddle.
Ok well the automatic SH-AWD TL is no M3

but for what it is it does have good handling - able to power thru turns - all I want to do - as I posted above is to be in a lower gear to be able to drive out of the turn with some power. - so that's the reason I use the paddles to downshift 2x - and then again once thru the turn to get back to high gear
- otherwise I don't paddle shift and let the automatic pick its gear - that fine 95% of the time - I just use it for that 5% of the time I want a little fun
just my opinion
Old 03-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Real world info-thanks
Old 03-14-2011, 08:31 AM
Intermediate

As someone who went from a 2008 G-coupe to an '09 SH-awd, the diff between their "S" modes are substantial. I mean, aside from the fact that the G is already more aggressively set up (It is a sportscar after all...), the "S" mode on the Acura is way more fun to drive. (I didn't use the paddles much on either vehicle). The attitude on the acura is absolutely changed when in S mode, I found myself doing 90 on I-285 b4 I caught myself, LOL...
Old 03-14-2011, 10:22 PM
Advanced

I use the S-paddles quite a bit. Came from a manual and still miss it (2010's were not out when I bought my 2009). I know you can paddle in full-auto, but it will over-react. I will prepare for a pass by down-shifting a second before getting on the gas ind it will drop it another gear. Two brains (mine and car) do not work with spirited driving.

I'll have it is S-paddle most of the time unless there is traffic, city driving, or I have passengers.

It does not respond like a manual, but with some practice you can anticipate and get it to do close to what you need. I really don't like the double-down-shifts it'll do if I get on the gas in auto. I am not afraid of high RPM's but don't like to run 6000 for no reason.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Instructor

Agreed...it does go to 4th...but way too late for me (100mph+). Thanks for the clarification.

When I tested the 6AT ZDX it went to 4th much sooner than 100mph, which is more realistic and useful in typical day to day driving in my opinion.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:41 PM
Advanced

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by neilman
Agreed...it does go to 4th...but way too late for me (100mph+). Thanks for the clarification.

When I tested the 6AT ZDX it went to 4th much sooner than 100mph, which is more realistic and useful in typical day to day driving in my opinion.
S mode is perfect for the occasional or daily spirited city driving where speed limits do not reach anywhere near 100mph. I think Acura intended this S mode to be used this way and not for highway speeds. I find it perfect for that Sunday drive in the city or twisty back roads where up to 80 MPH is fun enough.

Quick Reply: How often do you use S mode?