Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I paid CA sales tax and you can never be taxed twice
Old 07-12-2009, 03:08 PM
I feel strongly both ways

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by AcuraGoddess
More importantly, how are you liking the new ride?

Pretty sweet, huh?

Are you going to go with an extended warranty?

What color did you get?

Interior?
Old 07-12-2009, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by PsychDoc
More importantly, how are you liking the new ride?

Pretty sweet, huh?

Are you going to go with an extended warranty?

What color did you get?

Interior?
I love my new car shes awesome... Yeah I got the extended warranty and the car drove very nice for being in the car for 5 hours.. I got the white diamond Pearl with ebony interior.

I love the color combo it looks great, I couldn't be happier!
Old 07-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Instructor

Congrats on the purchase. Good to hear that you got a nice deal.

That's a great color combo, my Z was white on black. The quality of paint on the TL is so good, I don't think there's a 'bad' color though.
Old 07-12-2009, 07:43 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Congrats! Glad you got your car. Just want to make sure you are covered on this tax thing as I researched this quite a bit before I bought my car. What tax rate did you pay? What is the tax rate for where you live in AZ? I remember reading CA was either 9% or 10%. "Most" other states are 7% or 8%. Please, please, please, verify the tax rules where you live. Though you paid sales tax in CA and is likely transferable to AZ, be sure you didn't over pay it. You could have over paid by 2-3% and the dealer keeps that $$$ ($700-$1000).
Old 07-12-2009, 08:12 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BigKat103
Congrats! Glad you got your car. Just want to make sure you are covered on this tax thing as I researched this quite a bit before I bought my car. What tax rate did you pay? What is the tax rate for where you live in AZ? I remember reading CA was either 9% or 10%. "Most" other states are 7% or 8%. Please, please, please, verify the tax rules where you live. Though you paid sales tax in CA and is likely transferable to AZ, be sure you didn't over pay it. You could have over paid by 2-3% and the dealer keeps that $$$ ($700-$1000).
I checked the tax rate in Cali an it is 8.75% and AZ is about the same.
Old 07-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would call your attorney general and complain as it is against the law for someone holding a license from a different state to pay tax in another state. The only way you would pay tax in the state you bought the car is if the P&L papers you sign has your address in California. This is NOT a state to state law but a federal law. I know this because I have a very close friend who happens to live in california who specializes in DUI and Lemon law. I just talked to him before posting this.

Enjoy the car though but when you register in AZ you WILL pay tax again! Federal law requires one to pay sales tax in the state the car is registered not where its purchased. Clear as day light. If this wasn't the case I would buy a car from a state where there is no sales tax on cars and drive it home.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 PM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
Originally Posted by dshahs420
I would call your attorney general and complain as it is against the law for someone holding a license from a different state to pay tax in another state. The only way you would pay tax in the state you bought the car is if the P&L papers you sign has your address in California. This is NOT a state to state law but a federal law. I know this because I have a very close friend who happens to live in california who specializes in DUI and Lemon law. I just talked to him before posting this.

Enjoy the car though but when you register in AZ you WILL pay tax again! Federal law requires one to pay sales tax in the state the car is registered not where its purchased. Clear as day light. If this wasn't the case I would buy a car from a state where there is no sales tax on cars and drive it home.
+1

Superfluously, it would appear that this CA dealership is either lazy and doesn't want to deal with the additional paperwork for filing AZ papers, or has just conned you out of $$.

Buyer beware.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:48 AM
Advanced

Well here is an update I went down to my DMV and registered my car with no problems, I didn't have to pay anymore taxes than what I already paid in CA!! because the tax rate is the same!! And now my car is officially an ARIZONA car wohoo!!

Last edited by AcuraGoddess; 07-14-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:50 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by dshahs420

The only way I would of had to pay sales tax is if the sales tax in CA was cheaper!
Old 07-14-2009, 11:21 AM
2010 TL AWD 6MT: New King

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts
The only way I would of had to pay sales tax is if the sales tax in CA was cheaper!
What?? That statement doesn't make sense my AcuraZine friend. Oh well, you've been told here our thoughts and have been given sound prudent advice.

Anyways, enjoy your new car.
Old 07-14-2009, 11:24 AM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Well here is an update I went down to my DMV and registered my car with no problems, I didn't have to pay anymore taxes than what I already paid in CA!! because the tax rate is the same!! And now my car is officially an ARIZONA car wohoo!!
Excellent!!! Glad it was transferable and you are covered. I am surprised the tax rate was the same (I read AZ was lower by 2-3%). You west coasters sure do pay a lot of sales tax.
Old 07-14-2009, 03:01 PM
I dust my TL.

Received 19 Likes on 1 Post
It's called Use Tax. I just finished researching this as I had a problem with it when registering my car in WA after buying it in CA.

Acuragoddess is correct - if the sales tax in the state you are registering the vehicle in is greater than the state you purchased it in, you have to pay the difference. So if it's 8% in CA and 9% in WA, I pay the 8% to CA when I buy it, then pay the 1% difference to WA when I register it - this 1% difference is USE TAX. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Use_tax
If it was the other way around (9% in CA, 8% in WA) then I wouldn't have to pay anything to WA.

...but this does vary state-to-state as policies are all different and some have special deals.

Last edited by Tempest811; 07-14-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:45 PM
Intermediate

that is absolutely true! I live in the Kansas city area. The city boarders Kansas and Missouri. many many people buy cars in missouri and live in ks. all you pay is the difference in tax whichever is the highest.. never the other way unfortunately.