Help in purchase decision - SH AWD TL or Audi S-4

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 10:28 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help in purchase decision - SH AWD TL or Audi S-4

I am struggling between choosing one of these cars and would welcome your thoughts. I know buying a car is ultimately one's personal preference and budget, but I love a car that can handle really well and has strong low-end torque and acceleration. Both cars look great and have all the tech gadgets I want. Both have AWD - a requirement)Both cars have awesome handling, with a slight edge to the TL, but the S-4 just blows away the TL in low-end power, torque and acceleration. I know this is not a fair comparison because the S-4 has a supercharger. Comparably equiped, there is a 12K higher purchase price to the Audi, that frankly I have a hard time swallowing. I had a 2006 A4 with 6 cyl engine and it was a great car, but Audi no longer has a 6 cyl in the A4, you have to go to S-4.

What is kind of comes down to for me is are there any aftermarket chip tuning and cold air intake packages out there that really change the TL's low-end torque and power, say 40-50 increase in both at the wheels? I have combed this forum and all the talk seems to be centered around adding a super charger, but I don't want to go that far if it's not engineered into the car by Acura.

In the end, I might settle for the 2012 TL and miss the fun of low rev range torque & power.
Old 05-25-2011, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 416 Likes on 365 Posts
Originally Posted by The Need For Speed
I am struggling between choosing one of these cars and would welcome your thoughts. I know buying a car is ultimately one's personal preference and budget, but I love a car that can handle really well and has strong low-end torque and acceleration. Both cars look great and have all the tech gadgets I want. Both have AWD - a requirement)Both cars have awesome handling, with a slight edge to the TL, but the S-4 just blows away the TL in low-end power, torque and acceleration. I know this is not a fair comparison because the S-4 has a supercharger. Comparably equiped, there is a 12K higher purchase price to the Audi, that frankly I have a hard time swallowing. I had a 2006 A4 with 6 cyl engine and it was a great car, but Audi no longer has a 6 cyl in the A4, you have to go to S-4.

What is kind of comes down to for me is are there any aftermarket chip tuning and cold air intake packages out there that really change the TL's low-end
torque and power, say 40-50 increase in both at the wheels? I have combed this forum and all the talk seems to be centered around adding a super charger, but I don't want to go that far if it's not engineered into the car by
Acura.

In the end, I might settle for the 2012 TL and miss the fun of low rev range torque & power.

Supercharger seems to be a safe bet as it's being tested in collaboration with a dealership and is a proven product with a solid past. If you want to stay away from the SC you can lean towards Rodneys application (turbo/ECU chipping). I like Audis and I like Acura, but I feel as if Audi interiors are out dated and their styling is bland; keen edge dynamic (lol), is unique in a good way!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Ahem, the Audi $4 is too expensive. If you are going to spend $55k get the M3. Besides my neighbor had an S4 he promptly destroyed it (tranny, differential, wouldn't start, etc.).
Old 05-25-2011, 01:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 244 Likes on 137 Posts
The kraut-boxes are ever-steady electrical nightmares. It's a faster car than the Acura when it runs. If you're buying it new and the dealer has a good loaner program, and you don't mind not having your car 1/3 of the time, go German. Otherwise, it's TL/GS/G37X.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:25 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,092 Likes on 714 Posts
Drive both, then decide!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Intake + full exhaust (j pipe, hfc, cat back) will probably add about 20~30hp I believe. No numbers have been made official but that is my guess, not around 40~50hp.
If you want something like that, then add the supercharger.
Old 05-25-2011, 02:13 PM
Suzuka Master

OP, why are you looking at 4 door sedans if you are looking for power? Low end power? Plenty of muscle cars for that.. vette's, 'stangs, Challengers..etc.... just saying...
Old 05-25-2011, 03:34 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
Drive both, then decide!
Done that. And now my dilema to choose.

Originally Posted by Stew4HD
OP, why are you looking at 4 door sedans if you are looking for power? Low end power? Plenty of muscle cars for that.. vette's, 'stangs, Challengers..etc.... just saying...
Good question. Want a practical everyday car (still have teenagers to chauffeur) with style & elegance yet has the sportiness for when I want it. So 2-door cars are out. If I got a 2-door, it would be a sports convertible all the way.

Someone else suggested an M3 if I was at the $55k price point. At that price all you get is the steering wheel and seat belts. At least the S-4 is fully loaded & AWD.

Also, been debating a newer used car in the 40k range, like a BMW 535, but never liked that Bangle design.

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-29-2011 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Suzuka Master

I love my '12 SH-AWD but i never drove anything else. I liked my '08 a lot but the '12 is even better. I don't like being torn so I just choose and run with it. If I was to look at Audi's, I'd start out at the S5 and go from there
Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
This really isn't an apples to apples comparison.

As far as aftermarket support for the 4th gen TL there really hasn't been a lot of JDM support. I think part of the problem is this car isn't available in the JDM market therefore the usual turner shops over there have no real interest in developing performance parts for it.

S4, or Audi's in general should have a good aftermarket support. The car is already faster than the TL stock for stock. The TL is the most practical car in it's price point which still gives you a lot of nice features found in higher grade models. If you want to play with pricey Euro cars then be prepare to get a really good extended warranty or pay out the ass in repairs once you have to foot the bill yourself. But then again if you dont keep the car long then it really just comes down to money and how much you want to spend up front.
Old 05-25-2011, 05:27 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
are you planning to keep your car for like 10 years or short term. Audi will break down on you more times than what the Acura will. I have heard a lot of complaints that Audi owners seem to have there car in the dealer more than they get to enjoy it.

Its one of those things, "Instant Gratification" vs. "Long lasting Gratification"

Like you said, your choice. But you also have to realize, that most of us here will be a tad bit biased because your in an Acura Forum, find out from an Audi Forum as well if you haven't already.

Good Luck!

-DeL
Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 PM
The Sicilian

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
You buy Acura's and you lease Audi's. And I'm sure you can guess why!!!
Old 05-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
"I know buying a car is ultimately one's personal preference and budget, but I love a car that can handle really well and has strong low-end torque and acceleration"

Enjoy your S4...its a win win situation

"In the end, I might settle for the 2012 TL and miss the fun of low rev range torque & power".

OP/troll...if you really have a need for speed and want real torque step up your game...Get a V8/TTV6...

Last edited by Steven Bell; 05-29-2011 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Merged Posts.
Old 05-25-2011, 08:20 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

What is kind of comes down to for me is are there any aftermarket chip tuning and cold air intake packages out there that really change the TL's low-end torque and power, say 40-50 increase in both at the wheels? I have combed this forum and all the talk seems to be centered around adding a super charger, but I don't want to go that far if it's not engineered into the car by Acura.

Of course I would go TL...Check out this video, it will make you appreciate the TL that much more!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3wqA...layer_embedded
Old 05-25-2011, 10:52 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
Audi S4 FTW. Are you seriously comparing the S4 to a 4G TL? The 4G TL is a very nice car but if given the choice I would take the S4 over the 4G TL any day.

Test drive the S4 then test drive the TL. I see the S4 in your future :P.

Check out the M3 sedan though...but like you said AWD is a requirement so maybe thats why its not a good choice for you?
Old 05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by nickceci51
Of course I would go TL...Check out this video, it will make you appreciate the TL that much more!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3wqA...layer_embedded
Thanks for the video. Very impressive. And I'm not surprised. When I drove the SH-AWD TL, I was amazed at its handling ability through twisting roads. Even better than a 3-series, which has always been the benchmark for handling.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:14 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
Audi S4 FTW. Are you seriously comparing the S4 to a 4G TL? The 4G TL is a very nice car but if given the choice I would take the S4 over the 4G TL any day.

Test drive the S4 then test drive the TL. I see the S4 in your future :P.

Check out the M3 sedan though...but like you said AWD is a requirement so maybe thats why its not a good choice for you?
^ LOL.. The OP already test drove both and STILL feels that the TL is in the running.

Why are you even here, posting in this forum? I don't see in your siggy that you own or have owned a TL. .. just wondering....
Old 05-29-2011, 03:34 PM
10th Gear

I'll give you a bit of advice since I own a 2011 S4 and a 2007 TL-S.

As far as the TL is concerned and your looking for low end power there is nothing that the factory or even the aftermarket offers short of a supercharger itself. The low end rush you get with an S4 is one of the best feelings I've ever felt in a car and the best part is its in the useful part of the powerband for everyday driving.

The TL's power..like almost every Honda engine is peaky and feels much better when driven to redline. I'm assuming your a responsible adult so unless your teenager is driving the TL you'll never get to feel that rush on a daily basis without beating the crap out of your car on regular roads.

Reliability is the biggest issue btw the two IMO. I purchased a 7 year extended warranty on my S4 bc I know that it won't be as reliable as my TL. In fact i already have to add a quart of oil every 2500 miles to the S4....so its a little annoying but well worth the price of admission. The car is just crazy fun to drive.....even the M3 does not have such a useable/insane powerband for daily commuting. And to top it off it also comes with AWD....which usually makes the car feel less exhilarating, but not in the S4.

IMO the S4 is the way to go...the only options I have are the DCT, sport diff, and Nav. I couldn't be happier with my decision. I love both of my cars to death but my Acura TL 'feels' really slow by comparison unless I'm at 5000rpms or higher.
Old 05-29-2011, 03:46 PM
1999 TL

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Audi S4 is a Volkswagen and Acura TL is a Honda. If you want the Audi brand and jack rabbit starts then go with the S4. If you want the Honda reliability then go with the TL.

Old 05-29-2011, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 370 Likes on 209 Posts
How about the new Genesis 5.0 "R"? 429 hp. I very seriously may have bought my wife a Genesis except she refused to drive a Hyundai.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zman19
Reliability is the biggest issue btw the two IMO. I purchased a 7 year extended warranty on my S4 bc I know that it won't be as reliable as my TL. In fact i already have to add a quart of oil every 2500 miles to the S4....so its a little annoying but well worth the price of admission. The car is just crazy fun to drive.....even the M3 does not have such a useable/insane powerband for daily commuting. And to top it off it also comes with AWD....which usually makes the car feel less exhilarating, but not in the S4.
Wow - Your S4 is a 2011? What are the recommended oil cange intervals? I had a few friends with Audi's but kinda shyed away for realiabilty reasons. But they did say that they were pretty fun cars to drive. I would go for which ever you feel gives you more bang for your buck. If the fun out weighs reliabilty in you book then go for it. In the end you are the one who is driving the car around daily. I had a GTI before and that little thing was a beast - lol. However, the service side of it was quite expensive - lol.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:56 PM
ZCL
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My decision came down to the 2011 s4 premium plus and the 2012 tl advance sh-awd.

I could not justify the $12k price difference for speed. Speed was the only feature I felt the s4 did better than than the TL advance.
Old 05-29-2011, 06:48 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No comment. See my sig.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:46 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by Ronp8
Wow - Your S4 is a 2011? What are the recommended oil cange intervals? I had a few friends with Audi's but kinda shyed away for realiabilty reasons. But they did say that they were pretty fun cars to drive. I would go for which ever you feel gives you more bang for your buck. If the fun out weighs reliabilty in you book then go for it. In the end you are the one who is driving the car around daily. I had a GTI before and that little thing was a beast - lol. However, the service side of it was quite expensive - lol.
I have ~13000 miles already in 7 months...thats how awesome the car is to drive. I have Audicare and get the oil changed every 5k miles. I now keep a couple of quarts in the trunk to be safe. Just got the low oil light once and added a quart....as per Audi. They said that it's normal...which I believe having been around Forced Induction engines quite a number of times. I'm just happy I have the warranty till 100k....thats the only way to truly enjoy German engineering.
Old 05-30-2011, 04:36 AM
Banned

Received 198 Likes on 147 Posts
To the OP..

You realize you are asking this question on the TL section of the Acurazine site....

Ok, trying to be as much neutral as possible....

The S4 is slightly faster in straight line acceleration (about 0.3-0.5 sec gap for 0-60 comparing both cars with manual transmission) and a more torquey feeling at low rev.

The Acura engine is smoother at high rev.

The TL is bigger on the outside (same size as the Audi A6 and the BMW 5 Series) and noticeably roomier inside (it can be an advantage or a disadvantage, depending on your point of view) but the TL has the serious (for me) handicap of not having the fold down rear seat feature.

Better, more comfortable seats in the Acura (fatter and better bolstering and contouring)

If you unleash the option list, the S4 probably does outgadget the TL.....but in that case the gap is going to be well north of 12-15K....for example the torque vectoring diff is standard on the Acura but it is an option on the S4.

Statistically, on average, the Acura is going to be more reliable.....this is of particular relevance if you intend to keep your car for long time......if you plan to get rid of it at the warranty expiration, it is less on an issue...other than the inconvenience in case of a potential breakdown.

If you care about brand prestige some think that the Audi brand carries a better cachet than Acura...however if you go for the brand I would switch to BMW which definitely has more prestige than the other two.

On a final personal note, I find the style of the TL more original and edgier than the bland design of the S4...same for the cabin design...and I could not rationally justify the price difference between the two anyway....looking from every possible angle...I own a 6 speed manual TL SH-AWD.

Other cars to consider (sport sedan with AWD and 6 cylinder engines) are the Infiniti G37x and M37x (not available with manual transmission), BMW 335 xDrive, BMW 535 xDrive (only auto), Cadillac CTS AWD, Lincoln MKS Ecoboost AWD, Ford Taurus SHO AWD (the 3 Americans all available only with automatic)

Last edited by saturno_v; 05-30-2011 at 04:50 AM.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:36 AM
7th Gear

OP:

Replied previously to another thread, but I cross-shopped both of these cars. Ended up with the S4. I wouldn't really compare the 2 either, since, IMHO, one is a luxury car with performance intents, and one is a performance car with luxury intents. I owned an '08 A4 previously, and had 0 problems (mechanical/electrical/other) in 3 years before I turned it in. I have an RDX and have also had 0 problems in the last 3 years. Personal experience tells me that they are both reliable.

Similarly equipped, the S4 was $10k more (nav, full leather, 6MT, TQ vectoring diff).

General thoughts: TL is bigger, better equipped, better value, softer (drove the AWD Tech). S4 is firmer, better interior, has more low-end grunt, more exclusive in my parts (Atlantic Canada).

Why did I buy the S4?
Faster, firmer, nicer interior/less busy cockpit, exclusive to my area, dealer was willing to neg. more off MSRP.

I was very close to getting the TL AWD Tech as the value it represents is HUGE, but in the end I got a bigger smile driving the S4 and the dealer took a bigger piece off list.

Good luck!
Old 05-30-2011, 12:44 PM
Rowing my own

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I wrote off the A4/S4 because of size reasons, not sure if you're planning on having kids any time soon but the rear seats of the Audi's are much tighter then the TL.

Also the capacity of the trunk was an issue, getting clubs to fit in the back of the Audis without removing longer clubs I just wasn't happy with.
Old 05-30-2011, 02:23 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
I replaced a leased 2007 rwd 335i 6MT with a purchased 2010 TL 6MT. The BMW was my first (and probably last) leased car,; and I had plans to purchase at end of lease. Unfortunately, during the lease, I had one failed fuel injector, and it burned oil and coolant. ...and there was always that threat the high pressure fuel pump would fail at any time.

It all comes down to whether it's worth the cost of ownership. For me awd was only necessary for the rwd feel of the TL when accelerating hard out of corners (the rwd bmw did amazingly well in winter with winter tires - as well as or better than fwd cars I've had in the past using either all season or winter). The bmw's low end torque is addictive; but it was regularly defeated by it's open rear diff whenever traction wasn't perfect (or whenever taking a corner under hard acceleration). The Audi with it's Sport diff probably doesn't have that issue, which would truly make the addiction stronger - also makes it look like a value over an M3, which is the only 3 series with limit slip diff (as far as I know, the X 3 series cars still have open diff).

I'm sure if I were willing to spend the extra dough (which I'm not), I'd like the Audi S4 better than the TL. The TL is the clear winner on bang for the buck in sporty luxury sedans available with MT. The extra benefit is it takes the same 5W-20 and Fram oil filter as my wife's Odyssey (same engine block) ... ;-) IE, when it finally does need repairs, many of the parts come off the same shelf as Accords (might kill the brand prestige factor, but goes a long way on total cost of ownership).
Old 05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 85 Likes on 37 Posts
Its not an easy choice, when do you plan on making your decision?
Old 05-30-2011, 04:56 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
IB TechnoCat....
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks for the video. Very impressive. And I'm not surprised. When I drove the SH-AWD TL, I was amazed at its handling ability through twisting roads. Even better than a 3-series, which has always been the benchmark for handling.
Upon a second look at the video, the driver is "cheating" with the TL by quickly pulling the hand brake to put it into a tail slide. That certainly couldn't have been from the quickest TL run, as it does nothing to shorten the time.

I took a look at the Drive Sports web site - there are no biographies of the three "drivers". They don't look all that talented - which explains why the "main man" improved each time he made the run. If he went back to the EVO or S4 after pulling the best time in the TL, he probably would have beaten it.

It's somewhat entertaining to watch, but the on air personalities aren't as charismatic as the original Top Gear guys. They seem more like spoiled children who somehow got a hold of some cool cars to beat on, somehow came into some money for video equipment to take some cool shots of amateurs beating on cars, and now think they can turn their antics into a hit TV show. Maybe if they show a little humility like the Brits, they'll have a recipe for success. If their resumes are along the lines of "like cars, auto crossed a couple of times and enjoyed it", they should put it out there. People like me might identify with them better than the more professional car-driving resumes of the folks on shows like Test Drive.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:58 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jjsC5
How about the new Genesis 5.0 "R"? 429 hp. I very seriously may have bought my wife a Genesis except she refused to drive a Hyundai.
Are you sure your wife and my girl aren't related lol.